Should Delivery Room Photos Be Banned?

Related Topics: Pregnant, Single, Family
If you're planning on taking photographs of your baby seconds after birth, you'll have to check with the hospital's policies first. A Maryland hospital has banned delivery room photography until five minutes after the baby is born.

According to ABC, Meritus Medical Center put the ban in place after a survey showed that doctors felt it would help them to focus better on getting the baby out safely.

Laurie Shifler, who is pregnant with her eighth child, is furious with the new policy.

"My family has taken pictures of every single one of my children when they were seconds old," Shifler told ABC. "I have pictures of all seven of them on my chest, that new look, that new human being that you just brought into the world."

Shifler claims that the ban infringes on the rights of patients.

Though Shifler has taken the issue up with the hospital personally, the hospital claims that they haven't gotten many complaints.

A representative of the hospital said, "We heard from one expectant mother in late September to complain about the pending policy change. We have not had a single patient complaint since we implemented the policy on Nov. 1."

"What's next," Shifler added, "the father can't be in the delivery room?"

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/maryland-hospital-ban...

• KingdomNow 2010/12/30 16:44:00
    KingdomNow
    +21
    You are supposed to have videos taken of the whole process.

When the kids are old enough to watch and get out of line you can show the video backwards and tell them that they can be sent back. That will scare the crap out of the little monsters.

• ★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2010/12/30 19:12:31
    ★~DoctorWhoGuru~★
    +1
    I mean NO. Delivery Room Photos should be allowed
  • danila777 2010/12/30 18:59:15
    danila777
    I have 10 children, we did not record their births on video but I did it in writing and with pictures. I do not have anything against a birth being recorded or photographed but if there are too many people in the room when things go wrong than all these people are a liability, and things do go wrong whether you want or not.
  • Dragoness 2010/12/30 18:52:06
    Dragoness
    +2
    If new parents want photos of their child directly after birth it should be their choice and their right to do so. The policy should fall to the doctor, if the doctor does not wish to have photos taken right away it should be his/her policy and if the parents don't like it they are free to find another doctor who doesn't mind photos. Not everyone has a choice of finding a new hospital.
    Maybe I got lucky, all 3 of my kids were delivered by different doctors and all 3 doctors were excited to have a photo taken holding my new baby. The hospital did have a "no video during the actual birth until 5 minutes after" policy but the one time I had video (for a friend, not for me) the doctor himself told us to just "forget" to turn it off. Sadly that birth went badly (severe hemorrhage) at the end and the video is not suitable to show anyone, but not because anyone did anything wrong. In the end the doctor saved her (the mothers) life on video, oh the baby was fine too. Sadly the doctor himself passed away a month later in a rock climbing accident :(
  • Georgia50 Dragoness 2010/12/31 04:52:05
    Georgia50
    Dang...nasty break. I feel like I just read the synopsis of a damn good novel. Glad mommy and baby are ok.
  • Dragoness Georgia50 2010/12/31 07:07:33
    Dragoness
    she nearly bled out with her second child too and they didn't allow cameras in the room until after she was stable and baby was cleaned up. Shes not planning on any more kids.
  • wolfshadow 2010/12/30 18:44:33
    wolfshadow
    +4
    The mother has every right to have pictures taken. The doctors and the hospitals don't want pictures in case they screw up. What are they going to do? Stop delivering the baby?
  • Georgia50 wolfshadow 2010/12/31 04:55:07
    Georgia50
    In fairness, litigants don't always go to court merely because the doctor and/or staff made mistakes. They also take practitioners to court for things no one could possibly control or anticipate. It's impossible to know how a patient will react to adverse circumstances, and hospitals are under no obligation to supply ammo for smoking guns...esp. guns that really aren't smoking in the first place.
  • Nick~believe ^MOTOOP^ 2010/12/30 18:34:47
    Nick~believe ^MOTOOP^
    +1
    I can't imagine a woman wanting that portion of her body photographed during birth. But then, being a bloke, I can't understand a good many things that women a keen on. What's wrong with getting the cord cut and the baby cleaned up first. People complain about their hair being out of place for a photo. Do you really want to look at a baby all dishevelled like that?
  • the_old_coach 2010/12/30 18:32:20
    the_old_coach
    +2
    "Shifler claims that the ban infringes on the rights of patients."

The hospital wins this one. The patient has a right to have the baby anywhere she wants, but it's okay for hospitals to have rules that get followed. There are many reasons to not have a photographer in the room, beginning with the health and safety of the mother and child. It seems to me that a nurse could be allowed to take pictures for the family...but that isn't why hospitals are moving away from allowing photographers in the room.

Attorneys for the hospital, citing all kinds of reasons, including health and safety and litigation issues (malpractice suits) are the driving force behind these decisions.

Yes, that could happen as well for all the same reasons. The husband isn't allowed in the room for her appendix coming out (for good reasons), so it isn't a stretch to believe that this scenario could one day pan out.

Strike up another one for the lawyers, because you know that's where this is coming from.

allowed room appendix reasons stretch scenario pan strike lawyers birthing pictures
  • Vic~*PHAET*~ 2010/12/30 18:31:07
    Vic~*PHAET*~
    +5
    There is no ban -- you also are still allowed video as mentioned by other posts on this poll. There is a restriction on the time frame during which you can take that first photo -- 5 minutes.

Personally, if I heard that a doctor didn't feel safe with a camera being shoved in his/her face seconds after the birth of a child, I'd want the camera to be removed, too. The child's safety ought to be first versus a photo op.

You think Shifler is furious now? Imagine how furious she'd be if her new infant were dropped or injured.
  • JeffSna... Vic~*PH... 2010/12/30 19:59:04
    JeffSnavely
    +2
    Dropped baby because a picture was taken? You're not serious are you?
  • Vic~*PH... JeffSna... 2010/12/30 20:15:12
    Vic~*PHAET*~
    +3
    Dropped? Nah, not unless her husband shoved himself into the huddle to get that "perfect picture." I'd imagine he'd have more sense.

But injured is a possibility with the snipping and cleaning that has to go on.
    +1
    My wife wanted a full video from an old fashioned DVD. We can still watch out babies beoing born. Sometime it's the only time we get to really sit down together. It was mmy wife's decission and she's the one who went for ot. On C section on natural Birth.... I didn't faint in either one.
  • wtxwoman jackola... 2010/12/31 05:49:56
    wtxwoman
    Since I was there and fully awake and aware, I don't need anything to remind me. It is burned in my brain. But, it would be nice to have a video for the child, to show them what I went through to get them here. Not when they are still children, thought, that could scar a child forever! Haha!
  • Garciataria 2010/12/30 17:30:46
    Garciataria
    I thought they were already banned...
  • beachbum 2010/12/30 17:17:44
    beachbum
    It's a personal choice - as for me, I'd say no.
  • KingdomNow 2010/12/30 16:44:00
    KingdomNow
    +21

• danila777 KingdomNow 2010/12/30 18:55:14
  • Anna E danila777 2010/12/30 20:09:32
    Anna E
    +3
    I'll echo that LOL
  • kmay KingdomNow 2010/12/30 23:52:21
    kmay
    Now that is something I would do!
  • KingdomNow kmay 2010/12/31 03:11:28
    KingdomNow
    The second idea was to make the new mother wear a gorilla mask but that would mean the doctor would have to remove his.
  • Bowman KingdomNow 2010/12/31 02:33:41
    Bowman
    You're so right. My mom did that to me when I was about 8 years old. I've seen my own birth. It's not really something you want to comment on.
  • Roxxi KingdomNow 2010/12/31 05:04:50
    Roxxi
    Brilliant! XD
  • Toodlel... KingdomNow 2010/12/31 05:57:22
    Toodleloo SodaHead
    Best. Idea. EVER.

bowing gif

2014/07/28 22:36:11