Should Corporal Punishment be allowed in Schools?

ANGEL 2012/04/30 16:24:08
For a long time, corporal punishment was considered an
appropriate method for disciplining children in schools. In the latter half of the 20th
century, however, a growing number of states outlawed the use of
corporal punishment in schools. Corporal punishment in
schools is now illegal in all European countries, except for France and
Czech Republic.

The kind of punishment used can vary considerably both in terms of the
severity, where on his body a child can be hit, as well as with what object they could be hit. A
traditional case is the implementation of a "school disciplinarian" who
performs the actual punishment so as to avoid excesses or
misapplications by individual teachers.
Having a separate disciplinarian means teachers too physically
weak or timid to mete out the punishment themselves, have recourse to
an external person who is specially trained.

Do you think that corporal punishment should be permitted in the schools?

Note: This topic brings people together to the table commenting about a topic
that doesn't necessarily depend upon your political or religious
association. There are so many polls on SH that divide people and I just
want to change the tide.
So while there will certainly be opposing views, you may find that you have a great deal in common with someone who you may otherwise have found yourself in disagreement with -- whether it be a democrat, republican, libertarian, involved in Christianity, Scientology, Atheism, Muslims, Scientology, Buddhism etc. You might just find that you actually share more views than not.

• Melicious Kiss of PHAET 2012/04/30 19:38:30
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +6
    Hitting teaches hitting. It doesn't make sense, and all it does is instill fear. It teaches nothing. Corporal punishment should only be used in the most extreme of circumstances, and only by the parent.

• JCD aka "biz" 2012/05/28 08:53:24
    JCD aka "biz"
    Actually, corporal punishment in schools is illegal in France, it is not illegal at home.
    I was whipped decades ago in a Catholic elementary school, but even in those days, there were no corporal punishments in public high schools and of course colleges (except when freshers were hazed).
  • pdarkow 2012/05/15 05:30:16
    pdarkow
    I can first hand attest to its effectiveness as a disciplinary tool. If it was used properly and parental consent is given before the paddling would take place Then it would change a lot of the problems with students we have today. Too many are afraid to discipline their children and let them do what ever they want to do. That is how so many end up in juvenile jails and prisons because they weren't given any real consequenses for their actions until it was too late. Putting a little fire in the seat of their pants was and is an effective way to handle these situations.
  • martin28 2012/05/03 02:43:08
    martin28
    I was given a beating in a school in the caribbean once, funny thing was it was my first day simply visiting the school but I was so mischievous that I caused it. And I never misbehaved again until I came back to America where beatings are like a sin, my mother had to beat me in school for me to finally change my bad and annoying habits.
    Just.... YES.
  • pdarkow Lady Wh... 2012/05/15 07:32:24
    pdarkow
    +1
    I agree
  • Pat 2012/05/01 01:08:14
    No. I never hit my children and no one else should be able to either. It teaches kids that violence is acceptable. If someone doesn't do what you want them to do, or won't give you something they want, you hit them. There are many other ways to teach a child and the first one is "by example". Violence begets violence. And both my kids are now responsible adults, college grads, employed and on their own. All without a spanking.
  • Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦ 2012/04/30 21:20:25
    Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦
    +3
    No. No way in hell. NO.

If you and your family believe in corporal punishment... well, good for you. That's your choice. You get to mete it out to your judgment and live with the consequences, for good or for ill. But there is no way to stop teachers from abusing it-- and from getting away with it. Even a separate disciplinarian doesn't solve the problem of possible abuse.

If a child is being unruly, there is a different problem that needs to be addressed. The way we treat kids these days is almost like trying to train young puppies still growing up, playing, learning, and tumbling by making them fear and toe the line like a trained adult. It's absurd!
  • c.stuartHardwick 2012/04/30 21:13:41
    c.stuartHardwick
    +2
    My mother always said "I don't need to paddle them, I just LOOKATEM!"

OTOH, my wife taught at a school (much later) where they mainstreamed kids with disabilities, including a mentally-challenged "runner" who sent a teacher's aide to the hospital with a broken nose, and dangerous kids who the counselors would not diagnose--because as soon as you diagnose them, they have protected status and cannot be given detention or anything else.

I am not an advocate of corporal punishment, but we cannot become a culture of patsies. How many children are taking Ritalin and other psychotropics because the school can't control them? The US ARMY does not have a problem with ADD or ADHD--they have PUSHUPS. We need less "zero tolerance" and more common sense.
  • Yuki ~ ... c.stuar... 2012/04/30 21:25:06 (edited)
    Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦
    +2
    It's not even an issue of control, not in the majority of cases we deal with anyway. Kids aren't meant to sit in six to eight hour classrooms in a day, and do little else. That so-called ADD/ADHD is really a kid responding naturally to being made to sit still and be told to focus and pay attention on one thing-- just one thing-- for hours on end.

I have a feeling I wouldn't be on Adderall if I were being given an assignment and allowed to go outside for a bit of a walk to think it over before sitting down to work on it... instead of being stuck in a chair from class to class, robotically taking notes.
  • c.stuar... Yuki ~ ... 2012/04/30 21:35:55 (edited)
    c.stuartHardwick
    +1
    I agree. In fact, at one of my wife's schools, she was an environmental science coordinator. They would farm out "problem kids" to the more capable faculty because one person could only take so much. They sent her this one kid on internal suspension, and she set him to work in the garden. She worked his butt off, and the other teachers were amazed. She made a deal with the principal that the boy could come work in the garden as a REWARD.

He kept coming by to talk to her through his senior year and she ended up getting him into a two-year associate degree with the forestry department. He became a forester.

The cookie cutter approach is poisonous, and mega schools in which none of the faculty know the students is poison.
  • Yuki ~ ... c.stuar... 2012/04/30 23:27:06
    Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦
    +3
    The cookie cutter approach is dangerously toxic. It's just wrong-- it sets us all up to fail, and it fails to teach us life skills or to pursue our interests in hand. Working in the garden is a fantastic approach. Brilliant. Even private schools, where there's sometimes marginally more leeway, just aren't doing it right.

I understand that schools and teachers only have so much time in a day, a week, a year to get things done, and only so many resources... and that if everyone was off doing their own thing, it would simply be too much to manage-- but that means we need to overhaul the system and figure out something that suits the general learning style of energetic, curious kids better, rather than trying to cram them into the school's square-shaped hole.

Labeling kids as "problem kids" and dismissing them entirely or believing that there's something inherently wrong with them hurts our society, and it hurts our generations, now and in the future. Teaching children should be an interactive journey between student and instructor, instead of a mechanical, industrial procession. =/

And it only gets worse as you move up in the grades.
  • c.stuar... Yuki ~ ... 2012/05/01 01:04:21
    c.stuartHardwick
    +1
    I agree with you 100%.
  • ANGEL c.stuar... 2012/04/30 21:58:32
    ANGEL
    +1
    My mother said the same thing! Maybe you are my long lost brother! (LOL) I've used that "look" with my kids and that's all it would take 99% of the time.

You make some excellent points about the psychotropics - can't control them - then drug them. If its illegal to beat them into submission, lets just drug them to keep them quiet. Unfortunately, that IS still legal!

Thank you for your comments.
  • Yuki ~ ... ANGEL 2012/04/30 23:28:12
    Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦
    +3
    Want to know what's worse? I've become dependent on Adderall. It used to take a five minute jog and some fresh air and sunshine to get me back in focus, but now I can't focus at all without drugging myself. It's horrible. My parents, doctor, and teachers all mean the best, but it would be wonderful if I could go back to not needing it to function effectively.
  • ANGEL Yuki ~ ... 2012/05/01 00:15:08
    ANGEL
    +1
    That sucks! The problem with the psychotropics is that you cannot go off them without a doctor's assistance. That can be very dangerous. Why don't you talk to your parents and doctor about getting weaned off?
  • Yuki ~ ... ANGEL 2012/05/01 01:08:09
    Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦
    +2
    I would, except that since I'm in my last year and a half of high school, going through the process of getting weaned off is likely to have an effect on my schoolwork. Essentially, because I cannot afford to let my schoolwork slip, I can't afford to get off of them-- particularly since my coping mechanism (jogging, fresh air) is denied to me while school is in session. D: Otherwise, I definitely would!
  • ANGEL Yuki ~ ... 2012/05/01 03:07:00
    ANGEL
    +1
    I understand. I wish you the best.
  • pdarkow ANGEL 2012/05/19 01:37:26
    pdarkow
    Whats your take on the subject do you think corporal punishment should be allowed in schools?
  • The Potato Princess 2012/04/30 20:53:16
    The Potato Princess
    +3
    1) If I had children, no one should dare laying a finger on them other than me.

2) I don't think corporal punishment has ever taught anyone the difference between right and wrong. It just teaches them that if they do certain things, it will result in physical pain. That's not the way I want to go about things.

3) It is not anyone's decision (except for some cases) whether a child is guilty or not and how the should be disciplined except for the parents.
  • c.stuar... The Pot... 2012/04/30 21:15:27
    c.stuartHardwick
    I can't disagree except to ask, have you ever WORKED in a school? I got paddled a few times through absolutely no fault of my own. But you know what? I'm fine, and I never felt in danger at school.
  • Yuki ~ ... c.stuar... 2012/04/30 21:26:37
    Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦
    +3
    How old are you? =/ This isn't an attack on you, it's just that if you grew up twenty, thirty years ago, schools were a very different place. A lot of kids don't feel safe at school anymore.
  • The Pot... c.stuar... 2012/04/30 21:37:23
    The Potato Princess
    +2
    No, I haven't. My mum has. well, she has in American colleges and in Israeli and Russian high schools. She would agree with me.

Well, that's great for you.
  • c.stuar... The Pot... 2012/04/30 21:47:49
    c.stuartHardwick
    +1
    Well I suspect that she would also agree that the real problem is the size of the school and the student teacher ratio. Corporal punishment should always be a last recurse, but it is also quick. In today's schools, we seem to have just abdicated in many cases.
  • The Pot... c.stuar... 2012/04/30 21:51:14
    The Potato Princess
    +2
    Well yes, I agree to that first part as well. She nearly sent me to a private school because of smaller classes and other things, but we couldn't afford it.

I still don't agree with corporal punishment, though.
  • c.stuar... The Pot... 2012/04/30 21:55:10
    c.stuartHardwick
    +1
    It makes big difference. My kids go to a charter school full of immigrants whose parents are mostly professionals. They use demerits, merits, and detention, and in the younger grades, more "touchie feelie" rewards like "the cotton ball jar" we used with our kids to reward them for getting complemented on behavior by an adult.

But they also have the option to kick out students who are disruptive. The local ISD school does not have that option.
  • The Pot... c.stuar... 2012/04/30 21:58:36
  • c.stuar... The Pot... 2012/04/30 22:25:57
    c.stuartHardwick
    +1
    RE: I don't think corporal punishment has ever taught anyone the difference between right and wrong.

I agree. But ultimately, there must be a backup enforcement. That why societies have jails and religions have hell.
  • The Pot... c.stuar... 2012/05/01 14:22:59
    The Potato Princess
    Okay. Detention then. Anything else is the parent's choice, IMO.
  • pdarkow The Pot... 2012/05/18 20:47:51
    pdarkow
    if you were a school teacher would you paddle students if allowed?
  • The Pot... pdarkow 2012/05/18 21:20:59
    The Potato Princess
    No.
  • Linnster 2012/04/30 20:12:33
    Linnster
    +1
    If I had kids, I would absulutely not want any teacher hitting them. Discipline is the resonsibility of the parent.
  • c.stuar... Linnster 2012/04/30 21:23:09
    c.stuartHardwick
    +2
    My wife, who worked in a small poor town, had parents ever year come up to her class and tell her they would take time off work to come spank their children if needed.

Then, when she was working in town, she had snotty little brats who would lie to their parents, and whose parents would complain to the principal and sit in a conference in front of him claiming that she "had it in for" their little darling. Truth was, my wife was the last, best hope most of those spoiled kids had.
  • Linnster c.stuar... 2012/05/01 00:19:48
    Linnster
    +1
    I'm aware that perhaps if parents did a better job at home, there wouldn't be any need for corporal punishment at school, but I didn't come from a family of hitters and screamers and I would probably have raised children the same way. That being the case, I don't want anyone raising a hand to any child of mine. I will deal with whatever discipline they need at home.
  • c.stuar... Linnster 2012/05/01 01:06:51
    c.stuartHardwick
    +1
    True. But I went to a school where a significant sector of the population did NOT have that kind of family, and although I got paddled a few times unfairly, I was glad to have protection from the kids whose parents were AWOL. If anything, I wish the school had done MORE. I remember being furious in English when I was trying to take a test that most of the others blew off and the teacher just let chaos reign. Of course, as an adult, I know she was in over her depth.
  • Linnster c.stuar... 2012/05/01 01:25:52
    Linnster
    I understand how you feel, but I can't help but think that you don't accomplish what you want in school with corporal punishment. If it was me, the only thing it would accomplish would be resentment. You teach me that when you can't what you want, resorting to violence is the answer. Kids have no respect for themselves, their parents or their siblings, so how can they have respect for anyone else?
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +6
  • ~Adrien~ 2012/04/30 19:19:36
    ~Adrien~
    I think they should give the parents the choice when the child acts out at school. The principal would call the parents to let them know when their child was going to get paddled anyway. I remember the consequence of being paddled when I was in grade school. Just the idea kept kids from acting out back then. . .
  • c.stuar... ~Adrien~ 2012/04/30 21:43:06
    c.stuartHardwick
    I got a note when my daughter was in first grade that she had been talking in PE. I sent the teacher a note that said "Then I expect you to manage your class. What am I going to do about it five hours later?"

Corporal punishment is almost never required or appropriate, but in school, just as in the broader society, it always has to be there as an option. I'm glad they practiced restraint with my daughter. But on the other hand, she had to walk so many laps in first grade that she missed important social interaction. I'd rather they had managed her more effectively, though I doubt paddling would have been required in her case.
  • ~Adrien~ c.stuar... 2012/04/30 21:50:16
    ~Adrien~
    Like I said, it should be up to the parent whether or not their child gets spanked at school. I agree that talking during P.E. isn't worthy of a paddlling, but I also think that if two boys are going to fight at school, they should be put in a boxing ring. . . but I'm a little Irish like that. I understand the purpose for telling you about your child not following the rules. . .I would definitely want to know when my child isn't following the rules at school (because they wouldn't tell me themselves). . . That was another thing that scared me as a kid, and that was the principal calling my mom about my behavior. Not only did I NOT want to get into trouble at home, I was afraid of disappointing my folks.
  • c.stuar... ~Adrien~ 2012/04/30 21:58:36 (edited)
    c.stuartHardwick
    They weren't telling me; they were asking me to handle it. That was once of the reasons I took her OUT of the ISD and put her in the new charter school. That and the fact that they lost her twice.

2014/11/28 09:45:09