Should children do chores?

ANGEL 2012/05/23 14:42:00
Absolutely
Not until they are older
It depends
Requiring that a child does chores is a matter of much debate. Some believe a child should be a child - and not be required to do chores. Others believe a child benefits from doing regular chores - giving the child a sense of responsibility, confidence, preparing them for the task of caring and cleaning up for themselves, and also being part of the family team.

Most parenting experts do agree however, that the chores should be age appropriate and not be so time consuming that it interferes with homework and socializing.

DO YOU THINK THAT CHILDREN SHOULD DO CHORES?

NOTE: There are too many SH polls that divide people due to their religious and sexual preference. I just want to change the tide and
focus on polls that bring people of diverse backgrounds together to the
table, commenting on topics that actually bring them together. There are
parents who have opinions on this topic who are involved in
Christianity, Judaism, Pagans, Scientology, Jehovah's witness, Atheists,
Agnostics, homosexual, bisexual, etc. You just might find that you have
more in common than you previously
thought.

• ★misfit★ 2012/05/26 21:01:29
    It depends
    ★misfit★
    +5
    Slave chores? No. Chores for allowance? Yes. If and when I have kids, I'll set it up like this: they may do as many chores as they want in order to earn more allowance money (of course with a maximum limit of what they can earn in one week). They could choose to do no chores at all one week, but then that means no allowance for that week. I think that's a good way to prepare kids for the real world where nobody makes you do slave labor but you have to earn your money.

• Sunshine 2013/08/18 13:23:55
    Absolutely
    Sunshine
    +1
    Gives them some responsibility. And also it would help so I wouldn't have to do so much around the house.
  • Chris 2013/07/22 21:43:00
  • Melicious Kiss of PHAET 2013/07/22 21:08:58
    Absolutely
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +1
    I feel that it does give them a sense of responsibility. My boys do chores, not a whole lot. They both help with clean up after dinner and picking up the dog poop. They both put their clean laundry away. My youngest feeds the dogs and my oldest takes out the trash and mows the lawn once a week.

They are each given a weekly allowance, of which they must put away a portion for charity and to save, they get to decide how much.

My youngest son is saving his money for minecraft, my eldest for an airsoft gun.
  • OzSurfer 2013/07/22 09:19:26 (edited)
    Absolutely
    OzSurfer
    +2
    Everyone should contribute to a house hold. However, the amount they do should be age appropriate. When I was a kid up until about 12, we had very minimal requirements - ie keeping our rooms tidy, drying dishes and helping dad in the yard. Mid teens it was a set level of chores that didn't impact our lives too much, and best of all, anything extra we did, we got paid for. Good incentive for the real world. PS we were always able to reschedule our chores if we had a hot date - relationships come before chores - especially at that age! ;-))
  • Psychology101 2013/07/22 07:30:24
    Absolutely
    Psychology101
    +2
    I don't know why it's such a debate. They should do chores but I think that they should do it in moderation. Have them do a couple things around the house but don't be so strict about it to the point where most of their day consists of cleaning up the house all the time. It teaches them how to clean up by themselves when no one is there to help you. So yes, they should do some chores but don't go overboard with it.
  • Batgirl 2013/07/22 06:52:17
    Absolutely
    Batgirl
    +3
    My kids have been doing chores since they were about 8 and receiving pocket money in return. They have become very self sufficient young adults who know that they have a responsibilty around the house. They know they have to save thier pocket money to buy the things they want. They know they need to have the money to buy these things as I will not loan them money as I dont want them to get into the habit of putting things on credit. Their pocket money gets deposited directly into their bank account and this encourages them to save rather than spend.
  • OzSurfer Batgirl 2013/07/22 09:31:19 (edited)
    OzSurfer
    +1
    Nice one! I'd make mine - if I had any, pay for their own tool belts up front, no bat credit for the little buggers, after all they need to learn to save for their divorce which is going to be freakin' expensive! Oh, also, best way to make them keep their rooms tidy if they don't do their chores is to send in the werewolf!.... you do have one of those, right? Most kids think there's one under their beds :)

oi! if u clean your room I promise next visit i'll have fresh breath lol
    divorce freakin expensive rooms tidy chores send werewolf kids beds
  • Batgirl OzSurfer 2013/07/22 09:57:54
    Batgirl
    +1
    ha ha ha yes I have one of those Im the alpha dog at my house :)
  • OzSurfer Batgirl 2013/07/22 10:03:57
    OzSurfer
    +1
    ruff !! lol ;)
  • Batgirl OzSurfer 2013/07/22 10:07:26
    Batgirl
    +1
    lol more like a low growl that makes the kids quiver :)
  • OzSurfer Batgirl 2013/07/22 10:10:40 (edited)
    OzSurfer
    +1
    oh ok, funny how low growl scares kids but makes adult males feel like the humidity setting on the air cond has been set to extreme :-))
  • Batgirl OzSurfer 2013/07/22 10:14:04
    Batgirl
    +1
    well id be buggered if it was the other way around !!
  • OzSurfer Batgirl 2013/07/22 10:19:28
    OzSurfer
    +1
    Haha! yeah! .. hmm not thought of it like that, but then I've had a couple of glasses of red and feeling quite relaxed etc...
  • Batgirl OzSurfer 2013/07/22 10:21:48
    Batgirl
    +1
    hahahah letting your hair down luv good on you !
  • OzSurfer Batgirl 2013/07/22 11:05:22
    OzSurfer
    +1
    Yes well I'm a total rager tonight lol, i'm like the optomotrists daughter, two glasses and i'm making a spectacle of myself... yes the jokes get worse with each glass ;)
  • Insomniatic_Rush 2013/07/21 10:35:00 (edited)
    Absolutely
    Insomniatic_Rush
    +2
    I'm a kid (sorta...) and i think chores are necessary. I believe in the "You mess up, you clean up" rule. I don't even think kids should always get paid for it. The parents aren't getting paid for it, and most have to work on top of all of that. Besides, it's not like they aren't cleaning up their own space. I could see someone else's house or something, but cleaning your own house shouldn't be rewarded. No one's gonna reward you in the real world for cleaning your own house. Now labor stuff like mowing the lawn or other really hard or challenging things, sure, maybe it shouldn't be necessary. But I wish a kid would ask me to pay them for taking out the trash. HA!
  • GoDucks5 2013/07/20 20:08:23
    Absolutely
    GoDucks5
    +3
    It prepares them for life ahead.
  • Jdogg 2013/07/20 18:39:58
    Absolutely
    Jdogg
    +2
    Nothing wrong with doing chores, But some parents can take it too far sometimes.
  • **StarzAbove** 2013/07/20 17:25:26
    Absolutely
    **StarzAbove**
  • Kurt 2013/07/20 15:23:28
    Absolutely
    Kurt
    +2
    Yes they should.
  • knoodelhed 2013/07/20 13:47:10
    Absolutely
    knoodelhed
    +2
    My favorite chore was to help my mom fold the linen
  • AM 2013/07/20 13:17:32
  • KoAm 2013/07/20 12:56:58
    Absolutely
    KoAm
    +2
    ... but not ones that are really demanding or take up a lot of time.

Here in Japan, the kids clean up their classrooms and the hallways after lunch. They take dust-mops and brooms to them and tidy it up. They do this from elementary school right on through high school.

It takes maybe 10 or 15 minutes. So they're not spending a great amount of time cleaning, but they're doing their part to keep the school clean.

At home, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask the kids to empty a dishwasher, clean a toilet, or some other bit of housework that only takes a few minutes to do. And they still have plenty of time to study and to "be kids."
  • Random 2013/07/20 12:33:38
    It depends
    Random
    +2
    Some chores, but they should also be a kid. A teenager can do more around the house, but a younger child should not shoulder the same work.
  • All American 2013/07/20 11:55:23
    Absolutely
    All American
    +1
    Make them earn their keep.
  • l 2013/07/20 11:18:33 (edited)
    Absolutely
    l
    +2
    when all family members chip in and help with the chores,I believe it brings the family closer together. All the children can have "age appropriate" chores!
  • No
    丰 Ғüя Ɖιcн Aℓℓeιи 丰
    I never did them. I offered but was told I was too young, :)
  • Kezzi Morris 2013/07/20 09:34:08 (edited)
    Kezzi Morris
    No -_- that is just my opinion I never did them as a kid and rarely do them now
    Absolutely
    +4
    Age appropriate indeed ..
    it is a good thing .. to start when they learn to crawl and walk ..
    start with helping them pick up their little toys while playing ..
    then as age progresses ..
    learn the skills they will need for the rest of their lives!

(in a lot of ways .. this emphasizes teamwork .. family .. and responsibility. Each child needs to value the roles and efforts of other family members so that when they have their own families .. it will not be a 'surprise' .. )
  • ANGEL sglmom 2013/07/20 16:38:14
    ANGEL
    +1
    Smart answer - but of course, I wouldn't expect less from you!
  • Jim in SC 2012/05/28 04:09:42
    Absolutely
    Jim in SC
    +3
    Children should do age appropriate chores. It teaches responsibility on the one hand, and on the other, it connects the child to the larger concept of family. We're in this together, we love and serve each other, and helping with chores is one of many ways we experience this common bond of love.
  • Lonely girl 2012/05/27 09:47:32
    Absolutely
    Lonely girl
    +3
    It teaches them responsibility.
  • ★misfit★ 2012/05/26 21:01:29
    It depends
    ★misfit★
    +5
  • Spyrit Wulf 2012/05/25 19:03:32
    Absolutely
    Spyrit Wulf
    +3
    doing chores is a good way to strengthen a child's resposibility when they are young. Yes they need time to do their own thing and have fun, but chores come first. Plus it is possible to make chores fun. Make a game out of them so that they grow up liking work and wanting to help. don't just require it, saying the HAVE to do something just makes them not want to do it. Comprimise, tell them if they do this you will let them do this, or work with them. Chores are always easier when you have help. It could be a great way to spend time with your kids, so you have a one on one in their actual learning. Parents who are involved with their kids, usually end up with a better relationship in the end, even with all the problems and drama, kids can put a parent through as they grow up. Point being, chores are good, just make sure that there is always time for a little fun in not only your child's life but in yours too. "It's better to stop and enjoy the roses, then to close your eyes and pass the beauty by." "Take life by the horns."
  • VampireKisses<3 2012/05/25 03:53:33
    VampireKisses<3
    I think the child should do things around the house when told, but NOT chores. Different things at different times should be fine and not doing the same thing each and every day.
  • James 2012/05/25 01:57:01
    Absolutely
    James
    +2
    How else will they learn how to clean, cook, and do laundry when they're older?
  • bennett.dunn1 2012/05/24 04:11:30
    Absolutely
    bennett.dunn1
    +3
    Yes, they need to learn early on so they can start to understand what real life is really like. It can also be argued that including children in such things as chores draws them more into the family - they are not excluded, nor are they privileged in any special way. My thoughts ;)
  • pdarkow 2012/05/24 00:57:05
    Absolutely
    pdarkow
    +3
    Teaching them when they are young will get them to take care of stuff throughout the rest of their life. Having them do chores teaches them responsibility and that is one quality that is definitely needed for their lives and careers
  • Anna 2012/05/23 23:41:13
    Absolutely
    Anna
    +4
    I wish I'd been asked to do more chores as a kid, then I wouldn't have been so lost when I realized I actually wanted to be able to care for myself and not have mommy do everything for me. It was rather embarrassing to be 15 years old and have to call my mom to figure out how to do laundry. Also would have given better work habits that I am now trying to develop. Chores should be appropriate, no asking your 5 year old to clean the bathroom and make a 7 course dinner for the whole family, and they should be so time consuming that your kid never has time for themselves(think Cinderella).
  • hagerthehorrible 2012/05/23 23:24:15
    Absolutely
    hagerthehorrible
    +3
    Children that do not do chores are incapable of thinking for themselves later on. It builds important organizational skills and productive thinking abilities. The chores should be age appropriate. You don't want a 7 year old pruning trees with a chainsaw.

2014/11/24 00:39:35