Should Cell Phones Be Banned in Schools?

Is it just us or did summer swing by faster than usual this time around? With August just around the corner, "Back to School" is the thing on everyone's mind. Well, if you're a student, parent or teacher at least.

It's almost time to swap bathing suits for books. And while you don't have to complete any tests or do any homework quite yet, we think now's the optimal time to get your mind juices flowing with our quick, 8-Question "Back to School" Survey. Don't worry: No matter the answer, we'll give you an "A+" anyway.

Read More: http://www.sodahead.com/survey/featured/school-sur...

• RS 2012/07/30 16:39:29
    No, sometimes it's a necessity.
    RS
    +6
    In the post 9/11 world cell phones have become a need not a luxury. I ama teacher and I understand the distractions cell phones can cause but I also understand the distractions computers cause and we force kids to have them. Frankly as both a teacher and a parent I say YES to cell phones. The big possitive as a teacher is that the kids don't have to ask me to go the office to make a call.

• Lana 2012/07/31 19:18:48
    Yes, it's only a distraction!
    Lana
    I don't own one nor do I want one. Kids are more stupid than ever so NO cells in class. Just who the hell do they think they are anyway.
  • nina Lana 2012/07/31 20:53:58
    nina
    +1
    You sound like an stuck up hag
  • Jennifer Lana 2012/07/31 23:59:25
    Jennifer
    What if one of my relatives got in a accident while I was in class? And kids are stupid? You're are very offensive In so many ways
  • Terrain Lana 2012/08/01 14:40:47
    Terrain
    I Find It hard to believe that you think Cell Phones are so horrible when your sitting there using a computer.. A cell phone is nothing more then a hand held computer today.. Lana your what the world calls a "Hypocrite" . Why don't you turn off your computer and go live in the wood somewhere and limit your contact with the rest of the. limit yourself to knowledge that you would have never discovered elsewhere, Talk to people from all over the world that you would have otherwise never spoken to.

Cell Phones are Computers. So please stop being so harsh with your comments because if your using a Computer your using a more power cell phone and that fact that you didn't realize that makes you kind dim
  • Ramón 2012/07/31 18:35:43
    Yes, it's only a distraction!
    Ramón
    As a testing monitor in Waco, Texas I can tell you if a kid has a cell in class during a test then answers to the test are going to go out. They should be banned, for more reasons than this one. At least here we collect the phones and tag and bag them until after the test.
  • Ted 2012/07/31 17:41:26
    Yes, it's only a distraction!
    Ted
    Ever heard of cyber-bullying (against teachers too)? Kids texting instead of paying attention? Surfing you-tube instead of taking notes?

They are only a distraction. If kids need to make phone calls they should ask for permission to go to the office. There is no reason kids NEED to have phones in the classroom. It is addiction to the electronic nipple.

Everyone over 20 got by with going to the office to make phone calls. If it's an emergency you'll be going to the office anyway.

Maybe we need smarter phones? Ones that can be forced screen-locked while at a school, and schools (and parents!) have special transmitters that allow them to do so. Then the school can disable the screen-lock in-between classes and during emergencies.
  • jake 2012/07/31 16:44:19
    How about just turning it off during class?
    jake
    +1
    Just turn it off in school. Easy sulution.
  • Frenchi Le~ann 2012/07/31 16:01:36
    No, sometimes it's a necessity.
    Frenchi Le~ann
    Like I don't get the point. If a child wants to use their phone in class and not pay attention thats their fault and they are going to suffer the consequence. I have been in many classes when the teachers have grouped kids who do not have a smartphone with kids who do for research purposes. and a student has to have a phone in case of an emergency.
  • Atilla Frenchi... 2012/07/31 19:49:08
    Atilla
    +1
    Like get a clue Frenchi. The only rights a child has are the one granted by their parents and the other adults in their lives. When kids grow up, graduate, and go out on their own then they can talk and text until the world looks level....except when the boss says no cell phones in the work place...funny how that works.
  • Frenchi... Atilla 2012/08/01 20:54:54
    Frenchi Le~ann
    Actually childern do have rights (that have nothing to do with cell phones) that are promised to them by the constitution of their country and state. I don't get the point of you commenting. I'm not saying a child shouldn't listen. I simply pointed out thats A.) cellphones in class only harm the student when silent or on vibrate and B.) That cellphones, particularly those with internet capabilities can be very useful.
  • john doe 2012/07/31 13:34:12
    Yes, it's only a distraction!
    john doe
    It's supposed to be attending classes, not a party.
    Leave them in the lockers.
  • ninja lady 2012/07/31 12:13:38
    Yes, it's only a distraction!
    ninja lady
    +1
    Well in UK and probably most of europe they are banned and coming from a teen perspective its not that much of a big deal them being banned... people try and have them out but if you're caught in my school you get it taken away for 2 weeks. i dont really understand why you would be needing to use your phone in a lesson anyways, other then wanting to text your friend who is probably sitting right next to you... In my school you can go to reception if you need to call your parents during school time. Most students just use our phones during break or lunch, which isn't allowed really but you are hardly ever gonna get caught.

I guess maybe for me its more of a case of we were never allowed to use use our phones in class, so i dont know what i'm missing.. but when kids as young as 10 have phones its a bit unnecessary bringing them to class. Espicially with blackberrys, people are already on them 24/7...
  • Stan Weinstein 2012/07/31 10:57:26
    Stan Weinstein
    Just turn them off during class. If you're caught using it during class it should be taken away and all their text messages read aloud to the entire class.
  • Rompecoglioni 2012/07/31 08:11:03
    Rompecoglioni
    Kids like to have a relationship with a girl and build a relationship. I always let my son to invite his love ones but under my supervision and control their behavior. Today he is a doctor and have a normal relation with a woman. Encourage them and act friendly as a normal act
  • john doe Rompeco... 2012/07/31 13:35:05
  • Rajeshwar Teegala 2012/07/31 07:34:24
    Rajeshwar Teegala
    Allowed provided turned off once child enters school premises. It helps to keep in touch constantly all the times once their child is away from home, also helps in tracking whereabouts and safety till returning back to home
  • ashim 2012/07/31 06:55:42
    ashim
    A cellphone ringing in class creates attention problems for both the students and the teacher.
  • potatoe head 2012/07/31 06:32:17
    Yes, it's only a distraction!
    potatoe head
    yes they should be banned but first thing they should bann teachers using face book and start teaching the kids of the future
  • Safury 2012/07/31 06:17:43
  • Atilla Safury 2012/07/31 19:53:15
  • Chair Arms 2012/07/31 05:32:05 (edited)
    No, sometimes it's a necessity.
    Chair Arms
    +2
    Good luck on banning them. I can only imagine a good amount of parents bringing up an argument on cellphones being a necessity to report possible serious problems like abductions or shootings, fights, getting lost--however unlikely the cases may be. Especially now with all these shootings, I'm guessing parents are now personally trying to make sure their kids have cell phones for contact.

I mean, I know there are plenty of students who appear distracted or are assumed to be cheating when seen texting in class; for myself, cheating was never a reason to text. I was getting distracted a bit, though; but to what? To a simple lack of participation? Besides, I never got THAT distracted. My texts would just be simply, "where are we going for lunch?" or something. Mmm, well I suppose there can be some problems if the majority of the class were looking at their phones... I don't know; you want to prevent a cheating-mentality, teach your kid some better values and get them fixed in his/her head. You want your kid to not get heavily distracted on text-discussions, make them understand their priorities. Maybe just don't give them texting abilities till they've reached a certain age. That'd specifically remove the cellphone distractions from class for sure, unless they find th...

I mean, I know there are plenty of students who appear distracted or are assumed to be cheating when seen texting in class; for myself, cheating was never a reason to text. I was getting distracted a bit, though; but to what? To a simple lack of participation? Besides, I never got THAT distracted. My texts would just be simply, "where are we going for lunch?" or something. Mmm, well I suppose there can be some problems if the majority of the class were looking at their phones... I don't know; you want to prevent a cheating-mentality, teach your kid some better values and get them fixed in his/her head. You want your kid to not get heavily distracted on text-discussions, make them understand their priorities. Maybe just don't give them texting abilities till they've reached a certain age. That'd specifically remove the cellphone distractions from class for sure, unless they find their way to the video game apps--priorities, remember.

I also like the idea that they understand the privileges of actually owning a phone in the first place. Most who just whip it out in class seem to take what they have for granted.
  • Atilla Chair Arms 2012/07/31 19:57:57
    Atilla
    Taking the good things that you are GIVEN in life for granted is merely a symptom of being young and stupid. It is also a sign of poor parenting by people who would rather over indulge their children and say no and have to fight. The do their kids no good by doing that One of these days little Johnny or Susie is going to get the crap slapped out of them by life...and they will not be prepared to handle it.
  • Glenda.Butaud 2012/07/31 05:16:57 (edited)
    No, sometimes it's a necessity.
    Glenda.Butaud
    +2
    I purchased my granddaughter a cellphone for safety purposes and feel this is a great idea and I would be livid should it be taken away. She is 12, intelligent and responsible enough to know the proper times and places when to utilize as a resource; she has never to take advantage of this privilege. There are too many Realistic Reasons why cellphones should be allowed (kidnappings, shootings, school bus wrecks -just to name a few). In todays world there it's no such circumstance of being too protective. So kids be prepared for emergencies but act with wisdom.
  • newhon63 2012/07/31 05:16:22
    Yes, it's only a distraction!
    newhon63
    There is no reason for a kid of any age to have a cellphone at school. It is not needed to contact the child by a parent, a parent can get in touch with them through the office. One student does not need to call another while in school because neither should be talking during class and they can talk face to face between classes. It serves no purpose whatsoever except to create a distraction and/or an interruption for the teacher.

A parent can keep cellphones out of their student's hand simply by saying they can't have one. It is up to cellphone store owners not to sell to anyone who can not prove they are old enough to enter into a legal contract. A kid can get what is referred to as "a burn phone", but then a teacher should be allowed to confiscate phones from students caught using them. Parents have to take the lead and not take the side of their teen who has a phone taken away. As far as that goes parents need to side with the teacher when it comes to kids and their grades too. Sometimes it is not the teacher's fault your kid is not learning. Maybe your kid is not paying attention or they are just stupid.
  • JeromefromLayton 2012/07/31 05:09:41
    No, sometimes it's a necessity.
    JeromefromLayton
    +1
    When Columbine happened, there were hardly any cell phones around, especially in the hands of school age children. It took the police a long time to get in for lack of intelligence. Now, imagine the same scene with a few hundred cell phones in the area. The people outside could instantly know how many shooters, what they look like, where they are, and which way they are going. Think of it as an electronic Hue and Cry derived from Common Law.
  • Teddy or magic 2012/07/31 05:03:38
    Yes, it's only a distraction!
    Teddy or magic
    the cello phone only get in your way in class because your friend is calling or her friend is calling so how can the teacher teach anything then
  • Rebecca 2012/07/31 04:53:19
    No, please don't take away my phone!
    Rebecca
    I love my phone and don't want to part with it. I don't have any close friends so. I don't text but I have it for my music and games. and I hate not being able to have it in case of emergency, how unlikely. you never know
  • nancy 2012/07/31 04:36:33
    Yes, it's only a distraction!
    nancy
    Banned from using them during class, but allowed to have them and use when not in class.
  • PortaPocketGal 2012/07/31 04:30:43
    PortaPocketGal
    we should let common sense prevail. shouldn't we?
  • PortaPo... PortaPo... 2012/07/31 04:33:18
    PortaPocketGal
    speaking of common sense, just see me if you want to wear your phone (among other things) under your dress/skirt/pants. it's cake. seriously. iphone  blackberry  droid
  • ✞Knight of Honor 2012/07/31 03:53:28
    ✞Knight of Honor
    I used to need a cellphone to call for a ride after track. Bus services didn't run that late.
  • Everett Thompson 2012/07/31 03:35:38
    Yes, it's only a distraction!
    Everett Thompson
    Definitely; no cellphones in school. I've been told, as a substitute teacher, that their cellphone has been turned off, only to hear their cellphone ringtone go all around the classroom! Maybe they should be locked in student's lockers, but then, who would search girl's purses, or search students for cellphones?
  • acman 2012/07/31 03:18:13
    Yes, it's only a distraction!
    acman
    Yes it should be banned its a distraction and the kids will not turn off. one of my brothers teaches in public school..they are terrible,, what did man, woman and child do before cell phone..
  • Safury acman 2012/07/31 07:00:48
    Safury
    It's really a lack of discipline that's the problem.
  • jean bayang 2012/07/31 03:07:56
    Yes, it's only a distraction!
    jean bayang
    better
    nocellphone. allow
  • MarkVaughn 2012/07/31 02:57:46
    Yes, it's only a distraction!
    MarkVaughn
    When I was in school, Elementary through High School, I never had a cell-phone, or any communication device, other than my pencil,pen. & few notebooks. If I wanted to talk to anyone of the class, or other students , I'd have to wait , till the bell rung between classes, or lunch time, or recess. That, was the norm, then. I'd say, yes, take those phones away, texts, ect. Very distracting. Also, easy to call in an answer , on a test. Distracting to other students, who are there to learn, that thing your supposed to be doing, in that building called, school. IF, there's an emergency, either with a student, or parent, there is the phone, & computer , ect.. To alert the staff, or a parent, of the emergency. Yet, a parent/child communication , is always good, too. However, they need to come up with a device, that enables parents to send the child a mssg. yet, block the childs mssg. to the parent. Unless, parent switches it to respond. However, this should ONLY be , for parent & child. Not friends, ect. School is to learn, as child is to listen. (teachers I know you like that.) All mine do, I'm sure . School is to teach, as child, is to learn. One can't learn...
    When I was in school, Elementary through High School, I never had a cell-phone, or any communication device, other than my pencil,pen. & few notebooks. If I wanted to talk to anyone of the class, or other students , I'd have to wait , till the bell rung between classes, or lunch time, or recess. That, was the norm, then. I'd say, yes, take those phones away, texts, ect. Very distracting. Also, easy to call in an answer , on a test. Distracting to other students, who are there to learn, that thing your supposed to be doing, in that building called, school. IF, there's an emergency, either with a student, or parent, there is the phone, & computer , ect.. To alert the staff, or a parent, of the emergency. Yet, a parent/child communication , is always good, too. However, they need to come up with a device, that enables parents to send the child a mssg. yet, block the childs mssg. to the parent. Unless, parent switches it to respond. However, this should ONLY be , for parent & child. Not friends, ect. School is to learn, as child is to listen. (teachers I know you like that.) All mine do, I'm sure . School is to teach, as child, is to learn. One can't learn, if one, is distracted. No cell-phones, no communication devices, at all. Not, till school is over. When bell rings, then calmly, walk to the ' cell-phone' holding-room. lol. Check out, your phone, go home, talk yourself silly.
  • Safury MarkVaughn 2012/07/31 06:33:24
    Safury
    How about parents simply teach their kids some discipline and what a "privilege" actually is instead of giving them some piece of technology, expecting it to solve their problems for them. And not one student would actually let their phones be taken away if they hadn't even done anything.
  • Quazimoto 2012/07/31 02:01:58
    Quazimoto
    +1
    You are in school to learn, not text.
  • assbuttsoup 2012/07/31 01:54:07
    No, sometimes it's a necessity.
    assbuttsoup
    +1
    It should not be turned off in class, just put away and on silent mode. Banning them would just be dumb.
  • Atilla assbutt... 2012/07/31 20:01:36
    Atilla
    How would someone so young as to not know their ass from first base know what is dumb and what isn't. Grow up...you will have to one day..there are going to rules that you do not like all of your life. Get over it.

2014/11/26 00:33:18