Should cats have to be licensed like dogs?

ZILdeactivated 2010/10/06 05:31:52
Related Topics: Cat, Dogs, cats
I don't think either should be tagged.

• Fef 2010/10/06 09:04:21
    Fef
    +4
    The government in Los Angeles requires tagging of both cats and dogs.

take a look at this cat's license ;)
    government los angeles requires tagging cats dogs cats license

• Amanda 2012/01/27 04:03:12
    Amanda
    I can see where everyone is coming from, but I still think its wrong to force cat owners to get a license, at least if its strictly an indoor cat. The majority of people who have cats that stay inside are careful not to let the cats escape. A good example is from my experiences. I live in a townhome and there is one window without a screen, so you will never see that window open because my cats could escape. The only time my cats have escaped ( but not got far) is if I have my hands full and can't get the door shut quick enough. The cats never did get far though and I was able to catch them and bring them back in. I also have started a treat distraction when I need the door open a bit, works like a charm. Well, after research, I have found out the cost of not having them licensed. The ticket in VA is 196 dollars. If they don't have the rabies vaccine you can add another 100. That's nearly 300 dollars that some people just can't afford, even if they are responsible with their animals. On top of those fines expect to get a suspended driving license. When I read that I thought that was the most stupid thing I have ever heard, I mean how is a driving license even remotely related to the cat business? Seriously, all that is overkill don't you think? Doesn't the government already g...
    I can see where everyone is coming from, but I still think its wrong to force cat owners to get a license, at least if its strictly an indoor cat. The majority of people who have cats that stay inside are careful not to let the cats escape. A good example is from my experiences. I live in a townhome and there is one window without a screen, so you will never see that window open because my cats could escape. The only time my cats have escaped ( but not got far) is if I have my hands full and can't get the door shut quick enough. The cats never did get far though and I was able to catch them and bring them back in. I also have started a treat distraction when I need the door open a bit, works like a charm. Well, after research, I have found out the cost of not having them licensed. The ticket in VA is 196 dollars. If they don't have the rabies vaccine you can add another 100. That's nearly 300 dollars that some people just can't afford, even if they are responsible with their animals. On top of those fines expect to get a suspended driving license. When I read that I thought that was the most stupid thing I have ever heard, I mean how is a driving license even remotely related to the cat business? Seriously, all that is overkill don't you think? Doesn't the government already get enough money? I agree with something someone wrote, "why should you need a license for a cat? That's like having a license just for them being alive, do people need a license to be alive?" Obviously the answer is no and it sounds really dumb when you think about it that way doesn't it? I really think that a petition should be started to fight these stupid and ridiculous laws. Things were just fine before these laws were created, why screw with a good thing, oh, I know...its the government taking over one more aspect of our lives. As if they aren't already in control enough.
  • Gommball 2010/10/12 02:37:14
    I don't think either should be tagged.
    Gommball
    +1
    it's stupid!
  • ZILdeac... Gommball 2010/10/12 03:49:14
    ZILdeactivated
    *nod nod*
  • Gommball ZILdeac... 2010/10/12 07:26:49
    Gommball
    +1
    xD LOL *nod* ^.^'
  • amazinggrace 2010/10/07 17:48:47
    amazinggrace
    +1
    Just another way for the Govt. to separate us from yet more of our money. I don't condone the tagging of anything.
  • ZILdeac... amazing... 2010/10/07 22:50:06
    ZILdeactivated
    +1
    Me either.
  • Bump Cute 2010/10/07 17:02:00
    Bump Cute
    +2
    Cats don't need em they're smarter than dogs
  • ZILdeac... Bump Cute 2010/10/07 22:50:14
    ZILdeactivated
    lol
  • Broken 2010/10/07 15:30:15
    I don't think either should be tagged.
    Broken
    +1
    It is one more way to have an overarching big brother state control every aspect of our lives. Licensing adds to the tax revenues, but no longer even pays for animal control where I live.
  • ZILdeac... Broken 2010/10/07 22:50:33
    ZILdeactivated
    +1
    I doubt ours does, either.
  • FencerCat 2010/10/07 00:27:28
    FencerCat
    +1
    I don't know about the licensing... you mean they don't need them? But I do think they should have to be on leashes rather than running wild. I get so annoyed by neighborhood cats (not strays, but people's pets) digging up my bulbs and burying something less desirable in my garden! I have to clean up after my dog when he does his business on someone else's lawn.
  • ZILdeac... FencerCat 2010/10/07 22:51:17
    ZILdeactivated
    +1
    True; cat doody is harder to find the owner. I know that was heinous grammar. :-/
  • Poet003 2010/10/06 23:53:31
    Poet003
    +1
    Yes, though my cat would look goofy with one
  • ZILdeac... Poet003 2010/10/07 22:51:36
    ZILdeactivated
    Ours wouldn't be too fond of it, either.
  • METALheadMom 2010/10/06 22:28:40
    METALheadMom
    +1
    It has NOTHING to do with the fact that dogs can bite, it has everything to do with making OWNERS more responsible for their pets - period. Zillions of stray and wild cats get picked up and put in shelters every year, costing taxpayers millions of dollars, leaving the state or county with NO WAY of ever recovering a dime from the irresponsible cat owners. Licensed dog owners get slapped with the bill - so why shouldn't it be the same for cat owners? YOU insist on having a PET, so pay the fee and register that pet to you - why is that such an offensive concept? There is no guarantee every cat is going to ALWAYS be indoors - - there is no guarantee every dog will always be in their backyard either. That is not a valid argument against licensing.

Several times I have wished I could track down whoever owns the cats that keep me awake howling at night, or who stinks up my plants, teases my dog, barfs on my stairs, or who stalks and kills the birds in my yard.

HOW MANY of you cat owners who say dogs should be discriminated against because cats are superior and should not be treated the same, believe that racism is a good thing too. By claiming a cat should have more rights than a dog, you are saying you deserve to be treated differently even though you are BOTH pet owners. That is just not right at all, no matter how you try and rationalize it.
  • ZILdeac... METALhe... 2010/10/07 22:52:01
    ZILdeactivated
    Microchipping would help.
  • eldiabl... METALhe... 2011/05/03 09:22:52
    eldiablonegro69
    +3
    Well said, my German Shepherd (yes Alsation), is absolutely petrified of cats and is terrorised by the neighbourhood cats. Why are cats free to roam where ever they wish causing grief and aggro to many along their travels. My dog has occasionally gone out my back gate without me knowing. I live in a village with some roads but plenty of open space. 30 mins later my dog will return home via the front door. He's extremely gently and is no trouble to humans or cats for that matter (he'll run in the opposite direction if faced by a cat), but I feel I've committed a crime but letting my dog out without supervision.

It's not just, ALL pet owners, in my humble view, should see their pets as part of the family - our children even. Therefore, they should be in our care and that level of care should be one of high responsiblity. You wouldn't let vulnerable children out onto the streets. How many cats are hit by cars per day? Cat owners are not true pet lovers. They can't really care about their cats if they just let them out.
  • Nick~believe ^MOTOOP^ 2010/10/06 21:18:05
    Nick~believe ^MOTOOP^
    +1
    I've always thought it was unusual to require licences for dogs and not cats.
  • ZILdeac... Nick~be... 2010/10/06 21:24:50
    ZILdeactivated
    Do they have to be licensed in UK?
  • Casy 2010/10/06 17:26:53 (edited)
    Casy
    +1
    yes....So if your cat gets out and lost or stolen then it can be located and returned.

cat lost stolen located returned

Ya your right Zeroice...An implant would be a great idea!
  • ZILdeac... Casy 2010/10/06 20:41:46
    ZILdeactivated
    +1
    You can get one of those little implants for that. But I see your point.
  • Casy ZILdeac... 2010/10/06 20:43:35
    Casy
    +1
    Yes you can....Maybe a better way to go!!!
  • ZILdeac... Casy 2010/10/06 20:45:03
    ZILdeactivated
    +1
    A microchip, that's what I was trying to think of.
  • Casy ZILdeac... 2010/10/06 20:46:12
    Casy
    +1
    Ya I know that's a GREAT idea!!! Better then the other>
  • 1206720 2010/10/06 15:07:58
  • ZILdeac... 1206720 2010/10/06 20:42:02
    ZILdeactivated
    +1
    Smart kitty.
  • 1206720 ZILdeac... 2010/10/06 21:12:28
    +1
    they have to have their yearly shots a law in R.I. I break it
  • ZILdeac... Sister ... 2010/10/06 20:42:25
    ZILdeactivated
    +1
    YOU ... break a law!?
  • Sister ... ZILdeac... 2010/10/06 20:47:14
    +1
    yup my cat lived 19 years and no shots...my cats never go out
  • ZILdeac... Sister ... 2010/10/06 20:54:24
    ZILdeactivated
    +1
    Safe kitties. :)
  • Gun665 2010/10/06 14:16:26
  • ZILdeac... Gun665 2010/10/06 20:42:36
    ZILdeactivated
    +1
    Very true.
  • I am me 2010/10/06 14:04:55
    I am me
    +1
    Considering cats can and do get out... even if they are exclusively indoors... AND if your pet is registared (and lets hope they still have their tags on when they get caught and sent to the animal shelter), the shelter will keep them longer than the standard 3 days before they are euthanized... Besides... I don't know where you live, but where I work and live it's not more than $10 per year per neutered pet (it doesn't matter if it's a cat or a dog)... So it's not highway robbery... :-/
  • ZILdeac... I am me 2010/10/06 20:43:48
    ZILdeactivated
    I didn't know it was an option. I figured, depending on where you live, it was either mandatory or not offered.
  • I am me ZILdeac... 2010/10/06 20:51:05
    I am me
    +1
    A lot of Cities that do offer it it is mandatory per the city ordinance... however, it's easy to circumvent, because honestly, the City Animal Services aren't going to come knocking on everyones doors making sure their pets are registared... I honestly need to still register my cats, because we moved to a different city.... but I need to go down to City Hall and show them their shot records... But in my city, if you dog or cat is caught and it's license is not current, then you will have to pay for it... but again, it's only a few dollars if your pet is spayed or neutered..
  • Panloker 2010/10/06 13:22:50
    Panloker
    +1
    It was my understanding that they could be licensed. And to those who say that cats are mostly indoor pets, where do you people live?? Where I am from cats are the larger majority of free roaming domestic pets, Dog's rarely have the freedom that cats do to up and leave their property. i would have assumed this would be the same everywhere.

As for licensing them I am all for it, Should a cat be picked up by animal control for whatever reason, the cat who has the tag's owner can be traced and the owner will then have the opportunity of getting their cat back..normally they will have to pay a adoption fee, but its so much better than the cat not being able to be identified and adopted out to someone else, or even worse the cat may end up being euphanized as most shelters tend to have a high overpopulation of cats and can only hold them for so long. I would also suggest microchipping as another precaution. May be a little painful for the kitty but if the cat should lose it's tag, again it will be traced to the owner, much better than what could happen to the kitty if the owner cannot be identified. Better safe than sorry.
  • ZILdeac... Panloker 2010/10/06 20:44:44
    ZILdeactivated
    I'm all for microchipping if one can afford it.
  • Johnnyknowvote 2010/10/06 13:13:38
    Johnnyknowvote
    +1
    They are where I live.
  • ZILdeac... Johnnyk... 2010/10/06 20:45:24
    ZILdeactivated
    Interesting. I'd hate that.

2014/07/30 17:31:42