Should Breastfeeding Be Mandatory? Gisele Thinks So

Related Topics: Friend, Mother, Health
Supermodel Gisele Bundchen doesn't think women should have the right to choose whether to breastfeed their babies. Something tells us she might regret saying this:

"Some people here (in the U.S.) think they don't have to breastfeed, and I think, 'Are you going to give chemical food to your child when they are so little?' I think there should be a worldwide law, in my opinion, that mothers should breastfeed their babies for six months," she tells Harper's Bazaar U.K.

Most doctors inform women of the health benefits of breastfeeding -- but Bundchen also has another perk in mind.

"I think breastfeeding really helped me keep my figure," Bundchen, once known as "the body," tells the mag.

We all want to keep our figures, but some women have legitimate reasons not to breastfeed. We have a friend who couldn't breastfeed due to the medicine she was taking. Another friend just found it too painful and was on the verge of postpartum depression as a result.

That said, according to babycenter.com, breastfeeding has many health benefits for baby and mom, such as:

--Breastfeeding protects your baby from gastrointestinal trouble, respiratory problems, and ear infections
--Breastfeeding can protect your baby from developing allergies
--Breastfeeding may boost your child's intelligence
--Breastfeeding may protect against obesity later in life

And the list goes on.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months.

Bundchen gave birth to baby Benjamin last December. She is married to NFL star Tom Brady.

Should Breastfeeding Be Mandatory?

Read More: http://www.usmagazine.com/momsbabies/news/gisele-b...

• GirlyGirl™ 2010/08/03 15:43:56
    No, breastfeeding should not be mandatory.
    GirlyGirl™
    +13
    I breastfed the first four, then ended up with mastitis and bottlefed the last two. Gisele, you tell me how you deal with the pain from THAT. Make it a law...yeah. There ought to be a law against idiotic celebrities who are certain that when they fart, the world listens and applauds.

• BillygoldBill 2012/02/01 20:35:25
    BillygoldBill
    no
  • Ruby Dear - The Fangirl of ... 2011/11/07 20:44:23
    Ruby Dear - The Fangirl of PHAET
    I'd post a picture of a chronic mastitis infection, but it's not exactly safe for work or your stomach. With my first son, the nurses made me breastfeed him for four days, despite being black from bruising, having fevers and him screaming his head off. Finally they agreed to let me try the pump, and after 2 hours I produced less than 10 mls, at which point they finally said "Oh, I think your baby might need formula". That's an incredibly scary situation to go through, and it shows exactly how dangerous it can be to push breastfeeding so heavily on new mothers. For my next child I switched hospitals, and when I got mastitis again the nurses were more supportive of my choice to use formula. I didn't have to go through the pain, and my kid wasn't screaming of hunger. Both of my kids are happy healthy bottle babies, and I don't regret my decision at all.
  • billycat98 2011/11/01 22:22:08
    Yes, breastfeeding is important for a baby's health.
    billycat98
    yes
  • billycat98 billycat98 2011/11/01 22:22:38
    billycat98
    no wait it is up to the parents
  • S123 2011/06/25 18:16:28
    S123
    +1
    But I think it is better for mothers to breastfeed.
  • Sparky 2011/06/24 15:26:14
    Sparky
    It's a choice, you can't make people breastfeed their children. People have the right to choose. My aunt adopted two babies. She obviously couldn't breastfeed them, and they drank formula. They're fine.
  • SafariMarti 2011/03/23 23:54:25
    SafariMarti
    How exactly would they enforce this law? And if I don't want to breast feed my kid I shouldn't have to. Plus there is a long long list of exceptions they would have to make. Also, what exactly would be the punishment for not following such a stupid law?
  • chrystal97 2011/02/13 15:39:53
    chrystal97
    It's what babies are made to eat. Any formula isn't as good no matter what the makers say. Breast milk passes some immunity to the child that is helpful for growth and development.
  • billycat98 chrystal97 2011/11/01 22:22:59
    billycat98
    its a parents private choice
  • ☆Snapefangirl☆ 2011/02/11 20:35:04
    ☆Snapefangirl☆
    Believe or not, breast-milk can actually be dangerous to a baby. I'm living proof of that. I never had breast milk because of a rare genitic condion, (actually I'm not supposed to consume ANY type of diary products.)
  • Nichole 2011/02/10 08:19:13
    Nichole
    +1
    Really? A law? I'm sorry, but no. Breastfeeding does have some health benefits and it's a great way for moms and babies to bond quicker, but I plan to breastfeed AND bottlefeed with formula. I was formula-fed and have a great immune system (words from my doctor), my little brother was breastfed and was in the hospital in infancy with spinal meningitis and even now he gets sick easily. And then there are also women who can't breastfeed.
  • Raphael Braga 2011/02/09 00:51:13
    Raphael Braga
    Just selfish feminist would say no. You shouldnt have children. Why you all just dont buy a doll?
  • TanyaHill Raphael... 2011/07/12 11:35:26
    TanyaHill
    because some people CANT breastfeed because of health reasons ... it shouldnt be manditory I know I couldn't becasue of health reasons and I was actually making my baby sick, it was the doctor who suggested bottle feeding! I do support those who can but those who cant simply cant.
  • Dizzy 2011/02/09 00:00:20
    Dizzy
    +1
    Personally, I believe breastfeeding is best, and I will breastfeed my children, but each woman is different and it's her choice.
  • Lady Salsa 2011/02/07 14:39:07
    Lady Salsa
    +1
    Don't tell me what to do with my body, thank you. How does she suppose that this law will be enforced, anyway?
  • TanyaHill Lady Salsa 2011/07/12 11:36:08
    TanyaHill
    thank you :)
  • DebraJMSmith 2011/02/07 00:17:26
    DebraJMSmith
    +1
    I have never heard of this woman. Clearly she wants to get known by saying stupid things.

I have two children who both were bottle fed. They are both grown now. Neither has any of the problems that this woman mentions and they are both highly intelligence.

Debra...
  • USER DEACTIVATED 2011/02/06 02:48:29
    USER DEACTIVATED
    Mothers can't be forced into doing it.
  • Ashm 2010/08/05 14:52:15
    Ashm
    +1
    I know it is proven to be better for your child to breastfeed. HOWEVER.. I have known many healthy "normal" babies who were bottle fed.

If they make breastfeeding mandatory I'm not having children..ever
  • srini 2010/08/04 13:51:04
    srini
    What happens if the woman's milk-supply happens to be zero (such as the case if the child is born to a double-mastectomy breast-cancer survivor)?

And that's only ONE of the litany of "exemptions" which would be needed!
  • TanyaHill srini 2011/07/12 11:37:09
    TanyaHill
    good example never thought of that ! there are many reasons
  • JimiMills 2010/08/04 13:32:08
    JimiMills
    +2
    How can it be? I've known several people including myself that cannot breastfeed. Some were on very strong medications and the rest never had any milk production. Plus, what if the baby is lactose intolerent? Are you going to force breastfeeding on an infant when it can caouse severe pain, bloating, vomiting, and diarrhea? I think not!
  • President Camacho 2010/08/04 13:27:17
    President Camacho
    but bare breasts oughta be...if they are nice
  • Olivia 2010/08/04 12:33:52
  • caroline Olivia 2011/03/19 13:19:51
    caroline
    I accidently gave you a thumbs up .I don't agree with you at all in the years before formula milk many babies died because their mothers couldn't produce enough or any milk to feed them and their are plenty of women nowadays who cannot breastfeed for many different reasons.There is also a lot of propaganda about breastfeeding if you look into it there is no real evidence that breastfed babies have a better outlook than bottlefed babies unfortunatly several of the large breastfeeding campaign groups have had their own 'experts' put out false or misleading claims.As for bonding there is no evidence to suggest a lesser bond between breastfed and formula fed babies and their mums .Every woman has the right to decide for herself how she wants to feed her child and to not be made to feel like a poor mother from narrow-minded,self righteous people who take great pleasure in making other women feel bad.Oh and i have 7 children and the 1 that i did breastfeed was sickly,had more health problems than the others and i ended up with severe PND which i have since found outis very highly prevailant in breast feeding mums which is the opposite to what the breastfeeding bullies claim.
  • billycat98 Olivia 2011/11/01 22:23:48
    billycat98
    its a parents private choice
  • Red high priestess in Nyx I... 2010/08/04 12:17:39
    Red high priestess in Nyx I trust
    For even tho breastfeeding has more pros than cons and because formala milk has more cons than pros, I still feel that breastfeeding in for me as a young women a gross thing to do both in public and in privite as well!
  • Callaway 2010/08/04 12:14:21 (edited)
    Callaway
    +1
    Oh I see she's gone from super model babe to expert super mom babe did she come up with this from staying at a Holiday Inn Express last night? And how any children does she and Brady have again to make her this expert? Our last would not take to breast feeding so following her logic he would have just gone hungry oh yea he's 20 years old now 6'7" 245 lbs so it appears not to have hurt him all that much not being breast fed. Good grief protect us from these arm chair experts.
  • RebeccaPfeifer 2010/08/04 11:48:02
    RebeccaPfeifer
    +3
    Should my children have died because my milk didn't come in?
  • Randice 2010/08/04 11:44:32
    Randice
    Benefits from BM are clear, however, having adopted my child I'm afraid BF was not an option. In addition, we are a duo income household (as are MOST families) and don't have anyone to clean the house, do laundry, make meals, etc... Should working mothers go to work with a child attached to her boob, Giselle? What an idiot.
  • ariesheshelala 2010/08/04 11:35:50
    ariesheshelala
    I breastfed all 3 of my daughters.This was something I chose to do.My sister and five cousins and myself were all pregnant at the same time.I'm the only one out of the bunch to breastfeed. I don't think it should be mandatory,but encouraged. I 'm glad i was able to make the choice.
  • Toria 2010/08/04 09:19:46
    Toria
    This shouldn't be manditory, just common pratice. The benifts are very noticable.
    Some women can't breast feed, They can contact the the La Lechie Group who will supply more than enough breast milk in that case. There is no need for the fake stuff.
    I never even questioned the idea of breast feeding, Nor did mastitis ever stop me or most of the other Moms I know. It's a simple probem fixed with heat and a pump. No big deal. Commerical compaines are not able to be trusted in this matter at all.
  • Howling Hank 2010/08/04 08:18:30
    Howling Hank
    +1
    Should Breastfeeding Be Mandatory? Yeah oh wait you mean for babies...
  • Olivia Howling... 2010/08/04 12:34:23
  • SimsNerd 2010/08/04 04:56:41
    SimsNerd
    when i have children im not breastfeeding them.
  • tammerz/zɹǝɯɯɐʇ 2010/08/04 04:55:49
    tammerz/zɹǝɯɯɐʇ
    But it should be highly encouraged and not doing so should be frowned upon unless there is some reason why the mother physically can't.
  • Phant4sy tammerz... 2010/08/04 07:42:45
    Phant4sy
    I had reasoning. It sucked because I really did want to breastfeed. BUT unfortunately we had some minor issues that caused it not to work.
  • tammerz... Phant4sy 2010/08/04 07:48:50
    tammerz/zɹǝɯɯɐʇ
    +2
    That sucks. It's understandable when there are issues with it, because I have known people that literally could not breastfeed for various reasons. It's just people that don't breastfeed because they think it's "icky" or somehow sexual that make me angry. It's like they don't care that they are consciously depriving a child of health benefits when they are perfectly capable of doing so.
  • McCate 2010/08/04 04:45:53
    McCate
    +2
    I am an advocate for breast feeding, but things happen and woman should be able to choose what is right for them.
  • Lin 2010/08/04 04:39:08
    Lin
    +2
    I don't think it should be mandatory, but unless it's harmful to the mother or the baby, it's really selfish not to breastfeed. As mentioned above, it's better for the mothers and the children. I think it should be highly encouraged, but a law is a bit extreme.

2014/10/23 06:35:02