Should Bathing Suits Be Banned on the Boardwalk?

The beach, the boardwalk ... they're pretty much the same thing, right? Not in Asbury Park, N.J. Technically, you're not allowed to wear a bathing suit once you step off the beach in the Jersey shore city -- and the chairwoman of the local Republican party wants to enforce that rule, to keep things "classy." Classy on the Jersey shore? (We kid.)

"I understand that social things have changed," said 74-year-old Louise Murray, a city councilwoman from 1997-2001, who's been noticing suits at the boardwalk’s bars and restaurants, The Star-Ledger reports. "But forget that. Just put a shirt on."

The ordinance is believed to be more than 40 years old, and Asbury Park is considered more "high-end" than other Jersey Shore towns. But others are mixed on enforcing the rule.

"How do you satisfy everybody?" Deputy Mayor John Loffredo told The Star-Ledger. "I don’t think it’s appropriate to just wear a bathing suit at a bar. But it’s up to the business. If they allow it, they allow it." He continued, "We don’t have the resources to enforce it. We’re not going to have cops on the boardwalk enforcing that. It’s not going to happen." Do you think bathing suits should be banned on the boardwalk?

• ~HopelessRomanticM17~ 2012/06/28 20:17:31
    ~HopelessRomanticM17~
    ...no...
  • mrosen814 2012/06/28 20:16:05
  • Danielle 2012/06/28 20:15:08 (edited)
    Danielle
    +1
    Being that it's an outdoor venue right off the beach, that's pretty silly. Where I live I've seen people in their bathing suits dining outside at the restaurants on the beach. The only exception I'd say is if you're going to go indoors...then I would think they should cover up....but outside I consider it all to be a part of the beach scene.
  • mobilsq 2012/06/28 20:00:55 (edited)
    mobilsq
    +1
    I'd be fine with doing away with clothes all together.

if you're attractive that is.
  • JohnT mobilsq 2012/06/28 20:32:03
    JohnT
    +2
    If your lucky enough to live to be older you sure and the heck won't want that nude thing later on in life.
  • Bigbrowneyes 2012/06/28 19:56:48
    Bigbrowneyes
    +1
    The point is to keep things "classy"?

It seems so arbitrary. To some, a polka-dotted dress could be classy...to others, it could be tacky. While bathing suits are never really considered classy, the point is laws should not be based off of politicians opinions of what is "classy".
  • Andrea Bigbrow... 2012/06/28 22:10:34 (edited)
    Andrea
    +1
    I think the classy explanation is that some women can not seem to go out in public without looking like this:

https://d3qcduphvv2yxi.cloudf...

and this:

micro bikini

And the city does not want this seen in public buildings, and in my opinion rightly so.
  • Bigbrow... Andrea 2012/06/29 15:51:55
    Bigbrowneyes
    Personally, it doesn't offend me (it's just a human body...), but I can't say that everyone should think like I do, because we each have our own moral codes. It's what the majority believes, but my vote is against.

Platinum hair with black roots is an atrocity in my opinion, but we can't go around banning it just because it's not what I think of as classy.
  • Andrea Bigbrow... 2012/06/30 01:08:03
    Andrea
    Bad hair color is not the same as looking at a woman's cooch or a man's crack. Sorry, no correlation there at all.
  • Bigbrow... Andrea 2012/07/01 23:41:25
    Bigbrowneyes
    You're right, it isn't. I was talking about basing laws off of what is considered 'classy', not about nudity, which isn't even the topic. It's swimwear. For some one who has issues with nudity in public, you sure don't mind plastering photos of nearly naked people & talking about their ''parts''. If you're gonna search the Internet for photos like that, then what's wrong with not seeing it in Jersey?
  • Andrea Bigbrow... 2012/07/02 01:28:15
    Andrea
    I have seen those types of bathing suits on the beach. And you are right, I do not want to see them in public. That does not mean I am a prude and can not use them to make a point. It is called visual aids.Did you not learn to use them in middle school? I do not want to see a penis in public either but that does not mean I am afraid to look at a picture.
  • Bigbrow... Andrea 2012/07/02 01:43:09
    Bigbrowneyes
    These points just keep flying over your head...Have a good day, ma'am.
  • destiny 2012/06/28 19:47:31
  • Andrea 2012/06/28 19:43:45
    Andrea
    +3
    And the city does have the right to enforce a dress code in public places. Bikinis are for the water, not the local Red Lobster.
  • Jim Barnes Andrea 2012/06/28 21:50:36
    Jim Barnes
    +1
    Haha you must be ugly as f*ck then. Insecure prick. Burn in a fire. We don't need people like you around.
  • Andrea Jim Barnes 2012/06/28 22:08:57
    Andrea
    Actually I am not ugly at all, and look damn good in a bikini, but thank you for showing us all your intelligence and thought process.
  • Jim Barnes Andrea 2012/06/29 04:04:28
    Jim Barnes
    +1
    Lol well after reviewing your profile all I see is a picture of a dog. Put your money where your mouth is and proove me wrong. Unless you hesitate about the validity of your last comment. :)
  • Andrea Jim Barnes 2012/06/29 09:55:44
    Andrea
    +1
    I learned a long time ago honey that I have nothing to prove to anyone. I am grown not a teenager who needs to be validated by someone's opinion.
  • Jim Barnes Andrea 2012/06/29 14:42:55
    Jim Barnes
    Ofcourse not ma'am. What was I thinking? Lmao
  • Bigbrow... Andrea 2012/06/29 16:01:32
    Bigbrowneyes
    Well, I am not against bathing suits on the boardwalk, but damn, that is one abusive and disgusting way of talking to you. :( It doesn't matter what you look like in a bikini. That guy is sexually objectifying women by thinking the only reason they would be against bathing suits on the boardwalk is because they can't "match up to the competition". Like we're all single and the only reason we would wear swimsuits is to attract men we don't know! Lol. Even if you didn't "look good" in a bikini, it doesn't have to be relevant. I just felt really bad reading his comments to you, and I don't agree with them at all. Good for you for not taking his dumb bait.
  • Andrea Bigbrow... 2012/06/30 01:09:26
    Andrea
    +1
    I don't pay attention to idiots honey, don't you worry about that. :) People like him only insult another's looks to compensate for their own short comings.
  • Aquaduck Jim Barnes 2012/06/29 14:21:37
    Aquaduck
    haha she's "grown" as in OLD :)
  • Jim Barnes Aquaduck 2012/06/29 14:41:51
    Jim Barnes
    Haha ya ur prlly right she's old AF and that's why she's jealous of seeing people on the boardwalk being all perky and bouncy. Not saggy and swingy.
  • LunarRain 2012/06/28 19:41:04
    LunarRain
    +6
    Why does it seem like everyone wants to ban things that arn't even a big deal?
  • Melizmatic LunarRain 2012/06/28 19:46:34
    Melizmatic
    +1
    You noticed that too, huh?
  • LunarRain Melizmatic 2012/06/28 19:50:18
    LunarRain
    +4
    Yes! I feel like America is trying not to be so free anymore wheneverywher you look there is an idea to ban somthing.
  • krayzrick LunarRain 2012/06/28 20:27:25
  • Andrea LunarRain 2012/06/28 22:13:26
    Andrea
    +1
    I think America is tired of people looking like thugs and hookers in public and ready for people to put their clothes back on. About time in my opinion. Put your shirt on and pull your pants up.
  • LunarRain Andrea 2012/06/29 03:08:23
    LunarRain
    Or walk on a board walk in your bathing suit which is right next to the beach its a very appropiate setting. Sorry we don't live in the 1800's were aloud to show skin now and express who we are in the form of clothings and America can't do anything about it.
  • Andrea LunarRain 2012/06/29 09:57:22
    Andrea
    No, we don't live in the 1800's, but when I leave the beach to walk to my car, I put on my coverup, like a grown woman with sense should. It is not hard to cover yourself with a towel or wrap off the beach or out of the pool. Not only that, it is respectful to do so. Not everyone wants to see someone's tits, ass or cooch. I know I don't.
  • LunarRain Andrea 2012/06/29 19:30:49
    LunarRain
    Well seeing how everything you listed is covered by a bathing suit then there is no problem with it. If you're seeing it on the beach whats the difference if you see it near the beach. The bodys a beautiful thing and i don't see how its disrespectful to let it be seen. Maybe your just uncomfortable with showing your body in public and thats fine wear a cover up but don't try to force it on others. If you don't want to see people in bathing suits don't go to the beach people arn't forcing you to look at them.
  • JohnT LunarRain 2012/06/28 20:41:30
    JohnT
    It is just on this particular forum their are a lot of conservative right wingers, most from the southern states. I have been checking the various topic and area and most hang out in politics. This forum may be owned by a ultraconservative thus you will get a big group of like minded people.

I agree with you far too many freedoms being taken away or altered. In God we trust and that does not include politicians.
  • TheCouchF*cker 2012/06/28 19:40:19
    TheCouchF*cker
    +1
    I think they should drop the pretense and just start killing us whenever they feel like it.
  • starguide 2012/06/28 19:39:22
    starguide
    thats insane
  • Michelle 2012/06/28 19:32:22
    Michelle
    +5
    It's up to businesses to enforce it inside their shops and restaurants, and outside shouldn't have a rule like that. Yes, it's classier to war clothes over your bathing suit, but some people worry too much about what other people are wearing. If you don't like people wearing bathing suits, look somewhere else. It's not causing you any pain.
  • Kaimeso Michelle 2012/06/28 20:00:09
    Kaimeso
    In the words of grandmother who always wore an old sweater and nylons rolled down to her ankles,...

"Honey, if they don't like the way I look, they can look the other way",..
  • Kaimeso 2012/06/28 19:30:44
    Kaimeso
    +1
    wow, that was close as I almost thought Bloomberg was on another role,. but this was Jersey.

Ok, here is a question. What does "Classy" and the Jersey shore have in common?
    Answer,..... Nothing.
  • Warren ... Kaimeso 2012/06/28 19:54:47
    Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum
    Don't believe everything you see on MTV. It is not "reality" TV, whatever they want to call it.

ocean grove mansion
  • Kaimeso Warren ... 2012/06/28 19:57:47
    Kaimeso
    Nice boardwalk photo you got there,..

And no, my opinion wasn't from MTV, I've been to several beach locations on the Jersey Shore and,..... "it ain't all that",..
  • ExaltedGod 2012/06/28 19:21:07 (edited)
    ExaltedGod
    +4
    You want to wear a bikini go to a beach. You want to take a stroll, go to a board walk with some clothes on. I dont want to see your ass while i eat at a resturaunt.

2014/09/02 21:36:40