Should American high school students be required to take Spanish as an elective?

Death On Two Legs 2011/01/16 22:17:46
We all know that in order to graduate we have to take a foreign language. I am currently in the 8th grade and we had to take a foreign language class for one semester. In that class we spent more time on Spanish than any other language (in case you're wondering the languages were Spanish, Latin, French, and German, and we have yet to learn German and the semester is over in about a week). My friend also told me that our teacher said that we have to take a year of Spanish in high school, plus the language we choose. I personally do not want to take Spanish. I would like to take Japanese, but I don't think my school offers that, so my second choice is German. I feel like Spanish is being forced upon us. I don't want to get in depth about the issue because I don't want to seem racist. Do you think all American high school students should be required to take Spanish as an elective in high school, or should it be like all the other languages offered and be optional?

And if I seem racist I'm very sorry

• Sour Dime 2011/01/16 22:19:05
    No, they shouldn't
    Sour Dime
    +3
    Nope just because Mexicans jump the border doesn't mean we have to learn their language. That sounds racist but, I don't care.

• mona 2011/08/19 04:22:49
    Yes, they should
    mona
    they should because if all of you guy were smart inuf ya need to take spanish or watever languiwh to graduate s if you guy dont tke a spanish lass or other one ya suk nd why do you guys tak about mexicans like dat is not like if mexicans were the ony ones dat speck spnish dumass
  • Death O... mona 2011/08/19 04:37:30
    Death On Two Legs
    I suck and I'm a dumbass for preferring Japanese over Spanish? Okay then...

And I'm well aware that over 20 countries speak Spanish, thank you.

Feel free to say something rude back ^_^
  • Megan mona 2013/01/19 18:45:15
    Megan
    +9
    I think you need to learn English first. haha wow
  • ☆Snapefangirl☆ 2011/01/23 01:42:28
    No, they shouldn't
    ☆Snapefangirl☆
    Students should take the language they want to take.
  • wysiwis 2011/01/22 17:05:07
    No, they shouldn't
    wysiwis
    +1
    lets start with, if it's required to graduate, then it's not an elective, period. Yes, one must have so many electives to graduate, but to me, a foreign language shouldn't be "mandated" in order to pass. I know too many kids that should take English as a second language (the sad part about this is, they supposedly only speak English, but you can't tell it). Most Americans will never travel outside the country. A vast majority of those most likely will never even travel outside of their own state.

My own grand parents immigrated from Italy, in so doing, the worked hard to learn English, because "That is the American Language". My Dad never learned Italian because it wasn't allowed to be spoken, even in the house.
  • Red Branch 2011/01/21 16:08:25 (edited)
    No, they shouldn't
    Red Branch
    If a class is required, it is not an elective.

You are not a racist for not wanting to learn Spanish. You would not be a racist if you chose not to learn any foreign languages.

Requiring all citizens to learn English would serve our country better.
  • Katherine 2011/01/21 15:05:15
    No, they shouldn't
    Katherine
    +1
    First, I've been thinking recently that an education shouldn't be mandatory. Who decided that? Some kids and their parents don't care, they go to class and distract the kids that do want to learn, it costs more and they don't want to be there. Why is it our business what they do? If they want to get a good job, they have to have an education and would ultimately have to attend, but why do we require it to the point of policing people? I'm sure someone will have an answer for that, but I've grown tired of government interference in personal life choices.

Second, if you're taking an elective, isn't that on top of what is in the school curriculum? Meaning, now if you want to choose something in addition, here are your choices? In a sense, telling someone you can choose but you have to choose this? It would cease being an elective and be mandatory.

Third, I think if the school is going to have language courses, how fun! The language of our laws, our constitution and our road signs are in English,- as well as it being the most known language in the world. We border Mexico and Canada, so it's best to be familiar with bordering countries as much as, I'm sure, Europe is. Therefor, if they're requiring math, science, literature - I would have English, Spanish and French. To a finer...

Third, I think if the school is going to have language courses, how fun! The language of our laws, our constitution and our road signs are in English,- as well as it being the most known language in the world. We border Mexico and Canada, so it's best to be familiar with bordering countries as much as, I'm sure, Europe is. Therefor, if they're requiring math, science, literature - I would have English, Spanish and French. To a finer point, Spanish one semester and French another for me.

To your question, I'm not so sure school should be required since it's their choice whether or not they muck up their lives. If school is required, language courses would probably make sense. Hard to say what classes should and shouldn't be required (I find it odd and unfortunate that they offered Home Ec, but I was never taught Geography);-- BUT, I think you should know how to speak English if you're living here, working here, or attending school here; if you don't, it would be offered. Sorry if this offends people, but English isn't the native language of my ancestors. Offered language courses, I wouldn't object since it's fun and costs a fortune outside school. If you're attending school and they offer language courses, those three would be top priority with equal time devoted to each. If there are *electives*, I would suggest maybe Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, German, and Portuguese, since they are among the top most spoken languages in the world. Would probably be useful later in life.

Hope this made sense.
  • Nichole 2011/01/18 05:14:31
    No, they shouldn't
    Nichole
    +1
    The only reason schools consider making it obligatory is because of the immigrants (mostly illegal, but I won't get into that right now) who speak little to no English. America is an English speaking country, and I think that what language one takes in school should optional.
  • ☆Snapef... Nichole 2011/01/25 01:29:07
    ☆Snapefangirl☆
    I'm of Hispanic origin, and even I think it's wrong to force people to learn Spanish.
  • TheyCallMeSimi 2011/01/17 09:16:13
    No, they shouldn't
    TheyCallMeSimi
    We were required to have 2 years of foreign language. But we were given the choice between French, Spanish and Japanese. I opted for Japanese and it was my best subject both years. If the time comes you actually need spanish you can always learn it later. Right now just worry about graduating, take a language you think you'd enjoy and actually have some interest in, it's a lot easier to learn the material or study for a test when you care about the subject.
  • Sgt Major B 2011/01/17 03:31:58
    Sgt Major B
    If it's required, I don't believe you can consider it to be an elective. In my travels about the world, I've found that most of the folks normal travelers encounter speak some English.

I speak German, Spanish, and limited Italian. I've found that it wasn't all that useful other than for replying when they think you don't understand "dumb-a$$ American."
  • *~Amelie~* 2011/01/17 02:10:48
    No, they shouldn't
    *~Amelie~*
    well if it's 'required', it's hardly elective is it!
  • Surgeon ~The Egalitarianist~ 2011/01/17 01:25:10
    No, they shouldn't
    Surgeon ~The Egalitarianist~
    Honestly, I don't think we should be forced to take any other language. Most highschoolers can't even speak English!

But when i had to take it, I took ASL. Even though I live in Texas, I wasn't taking Spanish.
    My picks for this:
    German, Latin, ASL, Spanish, French
    The thing is, they were dropping German for newcomers. Same for Latin. Because they didn't have teachers for them anymore. However the second year students taking those classes still got to learn it!
    So now that school only has 3 to pick from.

And to be honest if you are being forced to take a language then they should have things like Russian, Japanese, and Chinese. Because those can actually help you advance in the future, Japanese and Chinese for the obvious reasons and well, let's face it, we still don't trust Russia - so just in case. And actually the guy who mentioned those 3 should be options, his daughter took Russian and she ended up working for the Government as a translator because they need people who could speak, write, and read Russian.
  • DFM302 2011/01/16 23:37:20
    No, they shouldn't
    DFM302
    How can someone be required to take an elective?

The students that can't speak English well and are taking up more than the necessary time in class because of a language barrier should be the focus.
  • Evan 2011/01/16 22:44:35
    No, they shouldn't
    Evan
    Hispanic Highshcool students should be required to take English.
  • Lady Whitewolf 2011/01/16 22:39:35 (edited)
    No, they shouldn't
    Key word - ELECTIVE.

And what wrong with THEM learning English???
  • Death O... Lady Wh... 2011/01/16 23:35:43
    Death On Two Legs
    +1
    Exactly.
  • Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥ 2011/01/16 22:19:47
    No, they shouldn't
    Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥
    +1
    I think they should have to take Latin.
  • Death O... Dave Sa... 2011/01/16 22:34:28
    Death On Two Legs
    +1
    Yeah I think Latin is a very interesting language
  • Dave Sa... Death O... 2011/01/16 22:37:58
    Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥
    +1
    Plus, it would help them understand English, Spanish, French, etc.
  • Sour Dime 2011/01/16 22:19:05
    No, they shouldn't
    Sour Dime
    +3
  • Death O... Sour Dime 2011/01/16 22:35:36
    Death On Two Legs
    +1
    That's my views exactly! I'd like to go to Japan and I don't expect them to learn English for me. I say if you go to another country you should learn the language there
  • Sour Dime Death O... 2011/01/16 22:40:29
    Sour Dime
    +1
    Americans in general (very general cause I don't even think like this) think that where ever they go they should learn to speak English.
  • Lady Wh... Sour Dime 2011/01/16 22:40:20
    so agree
  • mona Sour Dime 2011/08/19 04:26:59
    mona
    +3
    its not like if mexicans speack spanish only there many other people that speck spanish so dont talk about mexicans when you dont know anything about them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Sour Dime mona 2011/08/19 05:52:33
    Sour Dime
    Dude what is your problem, I said nothing about Mexicans and everything about Americans.

2014/07/24 06:33:11