Should all High Schools in America be allowed to dispense Condoms? Why or Why not?

iM iN L0VE WiTH A REAL MAN 2007/10/10 02:07:53
Somebody debated this topic in speech i was both for AND against it... it's a challenging one huh? what ya'll all think though?

• Brittney 2009/09/06 10:19:17
    Brittney
    no, not in schools.
  • Emily MCRmy [FTDM!!!!] 2008/04/30 17:39:19
    Emily MCRmy [FTDM!!!!]
    Exactly what sajama said! You can't deny it! They better be safe at least!
  • TBone 2007/12/27 18:44:26
    TBone
    This country has got to realize that parents are responsible for teaching their kids on these kinds of issues. Handing out condoms to kids that aren't going to use them anyway is a waste of tax payers money.
  • Sufferer ♏ⒶRGⒶR☝†E 2007/12/27 00:10:09
    Sufferer ♏ⒶRGⒶR☝†E
    I'm not paying for it.
    This is just another example of the government applying itself into personal issues.
    School is for learning! Not for sex!
    If you're responsible enough to have sex, then get a job and support your urges since self-control is not that difficult! And it's not costly either.
    They have a chance not to do it with the decision!
    Saying that "Well, they are going to do it anyway so..." can apply to anything! Well, they are going to cut themselves, so might as well give them the alcohol to sterialize the blade.
  • Cassie 2007/11/25 02:26:42
    Cassie
    +1
    The way I look at it most teenagers are gonna have sex no matter what you do or say, but if high schools give condoms out it may help prevent teenage pregnancy
  • True~Male Cassie 2007/12/27 00:48:49 (edited)
    True~Male
    +1
    this is true --We don't need any more unwanted pregnacies -- If you must partake of the pleasures of the flesh use birth control and don't forget to protect yourself from any disease. Sex doesn't have to be complicated . Just have fun and enjoy !!
  • Cassie True~Male 2007/12/27 05:17:00
    Cassie
    +1
    Exactly!
  • Katy 2007/11/25 02:18:53
    Katy
    Thats a tough one. On one hand, it would cut down on teenage girls getting pregnant. But on the other, the way highschool kids are nowadays they might turn it into one big joke.
  • Pattyann 2007/11/16 14:31:20
    Pattyann
    +1
    Where my grandkids go to school, you can get suspended for having
    a cough drop or an aspirin in your pocket. I'm not sure about condoms,
    though. Are we ignorant or just apathetic? As Steven Wright says, I
    don't know and I don't care.
  • Objective 2007/11/01 01:59:32
    Objective
    The best birth control is abstinence. To dispense condoms and birth control pills is the same as telling kids its okay to be promiscuous. Condoms may have pin holes and birth control pills are only 98% effective. Teach the kids to wait until they're married and monogamous.
  • Julia 2007/10/18 19:57:58
    Julia
    i'd rather kids had options to protect themselves. lack of condoms in schools isnt going to stop them from having sex if they want.
  • seastallion 2007/10/15 18:08:47
    seastallion
    It depends on who is paying for the rubbers. Why don't they sell them in the restrooms like everybody else does?
  • Tterrible13 2007/10/15 04:05:03
    Tterrible13
    Wow, this is a touchy subject! I'm not sure what to say....I can see both positives and negatives for either side of this one! I'll have to say no, just because I think a school is the last place that kids need to be reminded of sex-as if they aren't reminded of it enough. Although, I do think that if kids are gonna be having sex, I would encourage safe sex and would think that having access to condoms would be a good idea. Tough one....good question.
  • Bunny Gurl ♥ 2007/10/15 03:42:54
    Bunny Gurl ♥
    This is a hard one for me. Abstinence should be the way to go for all teens especially. I do believe that it should be up to the parents to discuss this with their Children. But in the world today I feel better knowing that if they are gonna do it (and alot of them do) let's get them protected. In our world today it is a matter of life or death in some cases. Forgive me Lord!
  • Alex 2007/10/14 20:41:51
    Alex
    We dont need people screwing in school. LOL.
  • MAGGIE IRISH EYES 2007/10/14 18:51:17
    MAGGIE IRISH EYES
    +1
    Shae: Your polls keep getting better and better. You are doing a good job!!!
  • Kari 2007/10/14 15:10:42
    Kari
    +3
    Face it parents, your teenagers are having sex! I was in high school not too long ago, and almost all of those kids had sex by the time they graduated. Rather than trying to force them to do something that they probably aren't going to do, such as abstaining until marriage, why don't you try and teach them how to be safe with sex?
  • chilton~T~ Kari 2007/10/14 20:24:06
    chilton~T~
    +2
    How about both? Teach abstinence and common sense. If they still plan to have sex, as a parent help them to be safe.
  • Kari chilton~T~ 2007/10/15 02:32:39
    Kari
    +1
    Sure. I will tell my kids that if they believe that it's the right thing to do for them, then it'd be great if they wanted to abstain until marriage. But, I'll also make sure that they know that they can always come and talk to me when they think that they're gonna go all the way. And, I'll be happy to talk to them about and buy them protection.
  • chilton~T~ Kari 2007/10/15 03:36:47
    chilton~T~
    Ditto!
  • Snarkosaurus 2007/10/14 01:10:23
    Snarkosaurus
    +2
    Yes they should. It's not so much promoting sex... People and the media do that for the schools. It's simply promoting safe sex. If you are going to do it, be safe.
  • Jessie 2007/10/13 20:52:04
    Jessie
    +1
    Anything that helps educate young people about protecting themselves should be not only allowed but encouraged.
  • Julie Jessie 2007/10/13 21:39:57 (edited)
    Julie
    "We have never in the history of the world experienced urban growth rates or metropolitan growth rates at the same level that we are experiencing now," said Allen.

http://www.siecus.org/pubs/fa...

http://journals.democraticund...

Consequences of overpopulation

Overpopulation occurs when a population's density exceeds the capacity of the environment to supply the health requirements of an individual, according to the Environmental Protection Agency.

Environmentalists have long been concerned about the resources threatened by rapidly growing human populations, focusing on phenomenon such as deforestation, desertification, air pollution and global warming. But the worst-case scenario for people experiencing overpopulation, according to Lawrence Smith, president of the Population Institute, is a lack of fresh, clean water.

"If the water goes, the species goes," he said.

"That sounds kind of alarmist," Smith conceded, "considering there's water all around us, but 97 percent plus is saltwater, and the freshwater that we use to sustain ourselves is just native to 3 percent. ... So the accessibility of water, the competition for water, the availability of water is going to be a major, major threat," he said, noting world population growth estimates at more than 9 billion...

http://www.siecus.org/pubs/fa...

http://journals.democraticund...

Consequences of overpopulation

"That sounds kind of alarmist," Smith conceded, "considering there's water all around us, but 97 percent plus is saltwater, and the freshwater that we use to sustain ourselves is just native to 3 percent. ... So the accessibility of water, the competition for water, the availability of water is going to be a major, major threat," he said, noting world population growth estimates at more than 9 billion people by 2050.

Nine billion is an exceptional amount of people, considering the world's population only reached 1 billion in 1830, according to the Population Institute, a nonprofit organization that works to fund population and family planning programs around the world.

By 1999, world population reached 6 billion, and in the relatively short time between 2007 and 2050, there could be roughly 2.4 billion more people on Earth needing clean water, space and other natural resources from their environment in order to survive.

Governments facing overpopulation will also struggle to manage waste, said Allen. "Handling your waste and the public health consequences of not handling it well is the biggest problem that will be faced in rapidly growing urban areas in the developing world." When London, England, faced a population boom in the 1850s, for example, its infrastructure was not prepared for the excess waste, which resulted in Cholera outbreaks.

"Huge outbreaks," said Allen. "Fifty-thousand people dying over the summer. That's the kind of thing that in the developed world we no longer have problems with, but in the developing world are very, very real."

Smith said that 97 percent of world population growth between now and 2050 will occur in the developing world, where governments face serious economic and social challenges.

"I would say most of this is in sub-Saharan Africa, where by every other health indicator, they rank at the bottom," Smith said. "This growth rate is taking place despite the high levels of HIV and AIDS and [tuberculosis] and malaria."

Health care -- and the lack of it -- is also a factor in the rising populations in developing countries, according to Stan Bernstein, United Nations Population Fund senior policy adviser.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/...

Humans beings in a health care crisis due to lack of birth control and condoms to protect them worldwide ... this issue isn't just about high school ... it's an epidemic ... teach the people of the world to survive and be safe ...
  • Rain 2007/10/13 19:37:11
    Rain
    +2
    There is such a thin line...some young teens would think it was a go-ahead for sex...I think a lot depends on maturity lvl. I know when I was young my mom never spoke of sex, or periods, or pueberty. It was pretty hush hush, and if you asked her you were a "whore or slut" I am sure not everyone mom was like that, but I knew if I messed around I would surely lose my family...therefore I didn't. Not a real good approach she took now that I think about it..lol. Things were just different then...parent had more time, spent more time and paid more attention to their kids. Not mine mind you..lol..but.....Things ARE different these days. Kids mature faster, grow faster...it's just different and as a parent if you don't catch them early enough it's going to be to late. My oldest son is 11...at 11 I didnt even know what a penis was..sex was a non issue then..but my son just had sex ed in school...I was blown away. I sat there looking at my baby while he told me about sex and how to be safe during sex. He's a baby, but like I said, things are different. He is going through pueberty, he wants to hang with girls, he likes to look at boobs...scary but thats my reality. We had a major sex talk that day...and I can only hope that he feels like mom is cool enough to ask for advice or a condom...
    There is such a thin line...some young teens would think it was a go-ahead for sex...I think a lot depends on maturity lvl. I know when I was young my mom never spoke of sex, or periods, or pueberty. It was pretty hush hush, and if you asked her you were a "whore or slut" I am sure not everyone mom was like that, but I knew if I messed around I would surely lose my family...therefore I didn't. Not a real good approach she took now that I think about it..lol. Things were just different then...parent had more time, spent more time and paid more attention to their kids. Not mine mind you..lol..but.....Things ARE different these days. Kids mature faster, grow faster...it's just different and as a parent if you don't catch them early enough it's going to be to late. My oldest son is 11...at 11 I didnt even know what a penis was..sex was a non issue then..but my son just had sex ed in school...I was blown away. I sat there looking at my baby while he told me about sex and how to be safe during sex. He's a baby, but like I said, things are different. He is going through pueberty, he wants to hang with girls, he likes to look at boobs...scary but thats my reality. We had a major sex talk that day...and I can only hope that he feels like mom is cool enough to ask for advice or a condom when he feels he wants to try...I won't be happy but he's a baby and sure doesnt need a baby himself. Ugh..so..I don't know about condoms in schools...I dont want him thinking hey cool lets go get it on...but I dont want him not having protection either...(SIGH)
  • Sajama Rain 2007/10/14 19:36:05
  • jordanadah 2007/10/13 18:49:32
    jordanadah
    +1
    It's better than the spreading of disease and teen pregnancies. why is pragmatism so hard to find in this country. And getting a condem doesn;t necessarily mean there will actually be sex. Ask any guy how many times he's been ready but she wasn't.
  • Daeuse 2007/10/13 18:43:17
    Daeuse
    +2
    Why not? If a teenager is going to have sex, the lack of available condoms is NOT going to stop them. It just means they are more likely to have unprotected sex.

Parents need to realize that teenagers are going to make their decision based on emotions that are really confusing and out of control. The best you can hope for is that they can remember to use some safety in these decisions.

I'm not saying to force condoms on all students in school, but have them available, like a dispense or something.
  • Cindy 2007/10/13 18:33:36
    Cindy
    +1
    I believe that they should know that they are available. They are going to do it no matter how much you try to tell them its a bad thing, after all they are teenagers with raging hormones.
  • Kira 2007/10/13 18:20:03
    Kira
    +3
    while abstinence is the best option and the only way to 100% protect yourself from STD's and STI's...students are still going to have sex and should have a way to protect themselves...I do think though that if there are going to be condom dispensers in the schools it needs to be paired with a comprehensive sex education program that will teach the students how to use the condoms and know the facts about sex.
  • Rica 2007/10/13 17:44:39
    Rica
    +1
    Not condoning premarital sex but giving the option to protect their self and the interests of their irresponsibilities. Also a lot of kids are embarrassed to walk into a store and buy them.
  • hallie 2007/10/13 16:55:28
    hallie
    +1
    i knew some people in high school who , because of unplanned pregnancies, were steered into a different life-direction than they had planned. but you know this won't fly in the bible belt/south and midwest.
  • CQ 2007/10/13 15:02:31
    CQ
    +4
    for the love of our best resource, yes!
  • chilton~T~ CQ 2007/10/14 20:26:22
    chilton~T~
    +1
    I don't fully agree with condoms IN school rather than health unit, etc...but I agree with your sentiment of our best resources!
  • CQ chilton~T~ 2007/10/14 22:22:26
    CQ
    +1
    the truth, I'm still sitting on the fence, but leaning in the direction I voted. Thank
    you for saying that.
  • chilton~T~ CQ 2007/10/14 22:31:09
    chilton~T~
    +1
    Sure thing! I'm ambivalent, too.
  • CQ chilton~T~ 2007/10/15 01:08:56
    CQ
    +1
    good word, ambivalent. meaning? not so comfortable, huh?
  • chilton~T~ CQ 2007/10/15 01:14:02
    chilton~T~
    +1
    Yes, but more the simultaneous desire to do two things. My brain and my heart do that from time to time!
  • kellley 2007/10/13 13:27:27
    kellley
    There is no easy answer. I don't mostly,becauseI don't think that a kid should be having sex, but I do a little of me, it could be the difference between life and death, getting aids.
  • debra 2007/10/13 11:41:35
    debra
    Have them available in the restrooms like they have for tampons..this should be enough.
  • Not Yet 2007/10/13 06:42:43
    Not Yet
    +2
    Lots of students would take these and just waste them as prank water balloons and other entertainment uses .

This would cause embarrassment to prank victims , cause classroom disorder far more expelling and end up casting the taxpayers more than it could save on teenage pro-life efforts .

This is something the Parents should provide for their wannabe pro-life-ers
    ( For lack of a politically correct term for it ) . .

This would also incourage a lot more pro-life activities , which may offend the pro-choice group . The ACLU would end up sewing the tax payers again .

2014/10/21 07:06:49