Should a Pit Bull be put down when he bites a person?

katywon 2012/03/10 21:30:16
I was bitten by a pet pit bull and needed plastic surgery on my leg and back. The dog belongs to a relative and the dog has always been friendly and unagressive. I put my self in the middle of a barking frenzy in order to quiet him. The argument is that my relative refuses to let him go.

• Jake Blanton 2012/03/11 19:02:13
    Jake Blanton
    +3
    It depends upon the situation and the breed of the dog should have nothing to do with it. Sometimes, dogs bite people who NEED to be bitten. Sometimes, it's a mistake... Sometimes it's just a case of the person not reading the dog's body language. I own a pit bull and she is probably the friendliest dog that I have EVER known -- to other people and to other animals.

• METALheadMom 2012/03/23 19:21:16
    METALheadMom
    ANY DOG should be put down the instant they taste human blood. Fact of life, and I'm shocked your garnets are not demanding this. I would!
  • katywon METALhe... 2012/03/28 02:24:32
    katywon
    Since it was very painful and frightening I sort of agree with you. But I have been blamed so much on here as if I provoked it, I give up.
  • Jake Blanton 2012/03/11 19:02:13
    Jake Blanton
    +3
  • katywon Jake Bl... 2012/03/11 21:25:19
    katywon
    +2
    I agree with you. It was a shock to me because I have owned many dogs including fox terriers which had a tendency to bite mailmen and strangers. But I personally was never attacked before. And it was not my dog so I should have been more careful. Sorry TMI.
    I think I've bored enough people with this subject. Thanks everyone for answers . I appreciate the time it takes especially since I guess I was to blame. Thanks again. Farewell to dog complaining. Plus I have fully recovered with a few scars.
  • thecutesttentacle 2012/03/11 04:02:34
    thecutesttentacle
    +2
    no, it isn't the dog's fault it learned to attack or that the 'victim' was provoking it. i understand you got hurt and you needed surgery. but in a way, it was your fault since you put yourself in the middle of a barking frenzy. i mean that in the most respectful way possible.
  • METALhe... thecute... 2012/03/23 19:22:13
    METALheadMom
    BULLSH**!
  • thecute... METALhe... 2012/03/25 20:46:13
  • santa6642 2012/03/11 01:16:24
    santa6642
    did the party involved teease the dog or was it unprevolked.
  • katywon santa6642 2012/03/11 02:26:20
    katywon
    no! He was barking at a door and jumping at a window when apparently he thought his owner was driving up. I was trying to calm him down and get him away from the window. Nothing in hand just speaking to him in a loud tone. He knows me but is not attached.
  • bricklyn katywon 2012/03/12 01:36:56
    bricklyn
    +1
    Speaking to a dog in a loud tone, does not calm them down, it will agitate them. You are obviously a very inexperienced dog handler.
  • Doreen 2012/03/11 00:57:27
    Doreen
    You have to consider the situation that was going on when he bit you. Does this dog see you every day or does he only see you occasionally? How often you see this dog can make a difference. People tend to forget that just because they are pets and live with us that they are still animals and no more. If it had been a poodle or lab would you be concerned with it? Just because a dog bites does not mean they are aggressive it has something to do with what is happening at the moment. Animals live in the here and now and are reactionary to the immediate situation. If this dog continues to show aggression to you or anyone else then something will need to be done.
  • katywon Doreen 2012/03/11 02:30:10
    katywon
    +1
    See my above answer. He pretty much stays with his owner and does not seem to relate to others. Yes if it was a poodle or my chihuahua I would be concerned but they have been around for five years and are not agressive. They bark and retreat. They didnt even try to defend me which was wise of them. Thanks everyone who answered. It feels good to vent a little.
  • rosehalo 2012/03/10 21:45:45
    rosehalo
    +2
    This dog did more than bite you. Its sounds more like a mauling. Plastic surgery on your leg and back? Don't be stupid, this dog is a danger. And I love animals more than a lot of people.
  • katywon rosehalo 2012/03/10 23:45:55
    katywon
    +1
    You are right. This is an ongoing argument in our family. Took me out of commission after the hospital and surgery for almost two months. Everyone agrees but the owner. I am stupid in that I can't convince the owner to be rid of the dog. The Plastic surgeon told me tha he repaired two different people bitten by the same dog in his practice. The owners had given it away without telling the new owners about the incident. Thanks for your opinion. Stupid is the right word.
  • rosehalo katywon 2012/03/11 00:25:10
    rosehalo
    +1
    Katywon, you were the victim of a vicious dog attack. I had a pit bull climb my 4' chain link fence and attack my pygmy goats, one of which I lost. I fought with the owner to have the dog put to sleep, and with the help of the animal control officer, this was done. It's not the animal's fault, but the way he was raised. However, you can't undo that. I hope they make the right decision and have this dog put to sleep. Good Luck!
  • katywon rosehalo 2012/03/15 17:53:16
    katywon
    +1
    Thanks for understanding. I am a dog person and did not handle the dog incorrectly. I did not touch him and tried to call him away from the area. He actually just turned without warning. I have a ten year old chihuahua and sometimes they have a reputation but he would never under any circumstance bite anyone.. My long term concern is actually that I have a two year old grandson who visiits regularly and the owner locks the dog up when he is here. And yes other dogs bite. When I was 13 I had a fox terrier who bit my best friend who was running around my house. She had to have anti-rabies shots until the dog was out of quarantine. So the dogs dont always have to be big .
  • Doreen katywon 2012/03/11 01:14:14
    Doreen
    +1
    I did not see this reply here and now I must say that that dog needs to be put down. If it had been a first time I would say evaluate the situation then go from there but this dog is a repeat offender. This is a legal case and the police need to be informed before somebody else ( perhaps a child ) get hurt. I do want to leave a note that this has nothing to do with the fact that this dog is a pit bull because any breed will/can do this.
  • bricklyn rosehalo 2012/03/12 01:39:28
    bricklyn
    She handled the dog incorrectly and agitated him rather than tried to calm him. Inexperience is the reason for the bite and not the fault of the dog.
  • rosehalo bricklyn 2012/03/12 02:23:38
    rosehalo
    +1
    bite? You call that a bite? I intervene when my dog is agitated with the neighbor's dog and she has never, NEVER, even attempted to bite, let alone maul. Any 'bite' that requires plastic surgery and a 2 month recovery should not to be taken lightly. A friendly, nonagressive dog that suddenly attacks is an unpredictable animal and therefore a danger.
  • bricklyn rosehalo 2012/03/15 02:47:43
    bricklyn
    +1
    Some people have plastic surgey to have mole removed. Until I actually know what happened I never pass judgement.

I worked at a shelter for several years and we had all kind of complaints just like this. I was amazed at the kinds of stories that cam in. But after investigations they were totally different from the original.

If you will notice that there is another side to this that has not been aired and the girl has not shared that either. The way she was handling the dog was completely inappropriate and did more to agrevate the dog than anything else. I will never defend a human when they are blaming an animal for something they did.
  • katywon bricklyn 2012/03/15 17:57:37
    katywon
    +1
    Thanks for your thoughtful answer but I did not aggravate the dog. Dogs are unpredictable. I am a nurse and once had an elderly patient who had two pet pomerainians. She fainted in her kitchen alone and was unconscious and not found for 24 hours. Her two pets ate off half of her face. She was not aggravating them, they were just hungry. She refused to get rid of the dogs against all advice.
  • bricklyn katywon 2012/03/16 00:36:58
    bricklyn
    First, you do not calm any animal by using 'loud' tones of voice. That will agitate them.

Second, how would a doctor even know it was exactly the same dog who bit you?

Your story just has to many holes in it and does not add up.
  • katywon bricklyn 2012/03/16 18:18:21
    katywon
    +1
    I would give you the doctors name and phone number. Perhaps I was unclear' He treated a patient for a pit bull bite. The patient gave the pit bull away to someone who thought he could handle it. A year later the new owner came to the same doctor. He had been bitten by the same dog. The original owner had not told the family about the dogs biting history' I live in a relatively small area and there are many doctors. But there are a few popular ones who specialize in cases like dog bites in addition to the usual plastic surgery routinely so chances are that the M.D was telling me the truth. He was just anxious that my friend get rid of the dog and tell the shelter the truth. As for talking in a loud voice that is what happened because I was trying to stay away from him. He just turned from the window,grabbed my right leg. bit it into a trench. I fell on a chair and he jumped on me and put some small bites on the other leg and then went for my back. He was trying to kill me and there was no stopping him until the owner came in.. As for the story about the little dogs chewing up their owners face, that is true. I saw her as a patient at UCLA long ago. She survived and refused to kill the dogs. She was unconscious and bleeding from her head and face having hit it on a s...
    I would give you the doctors name and phone number. Perhaps I was unclear' He treated a patient for a pit bull bite. The patient gave the pit bull away to someone who thought he could handle it. A year later the new owner came to the same doctor. He had been bitten by the same dog. The original owner had not told the family about the dogs biting history' I live in a relatively small area and there are many doctors. But there are a few popular ones who specialize in cases like dog bites in addition to the usual plastic surgery routinely so chances are that the M.D was telling me the truth. He was just anxious that my friend get rid of the dog and tell the shelter the truth. As for talking in a loud voice that is what happened because I was trying to stay away from him. He just turned from the window,grabbed my right leg. bit it into a trench. I fell on a chair and he jumped on me and put some small bites on the other leg and then went for my back. He was trying to kill me and there was no stopping him until the owner came in.. As for the story about the little dogs chewing up their owners face, that is true. I saw her as a patient at UCLA long ago. She survived and refused to kill the dogs. She was unconscious and bleeding from her head and face having hit it on a stove when she fell.
    I do not make things up and I do not exaggerate. And I stand up for myself. So please no hints that I write fiction. So the MD was not talking about the pit who mauled me. He was talking about two different families who came to him after being bit by the same dog. They knew each other but had not disclaimed to them the original problem. Glad to have your opinion though. I just have to be more clear. Trying to condense a true story is difficult at least for me. Thanks for being observant.
  • METALhe... rosehalo 2012/03/23 19:23:09
    METALheadMom
    +2
    Same with me. OBVIOUSLY THESE PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT ANIMALS WHO TASTE HUMAN BLOOD.
  • Simeon~thegayliberal 2012/03/10 21:45:02
    Simeon~thegayliberal
    +1
    Any dog that causes that kind of damage should be.
  • bricklyn Simeon~... 2012/03/12 01:40:11
    bricklyn
  • Ron 2012/03/10 21:44:25
    Ron
    Depends on circumstances, most times probably not.
  • Doug King 2012/03/10 21:40:10
    Doug King
  • bricklyn Doug King 2012/03/12 01:41:05
    bricklyn
    People always blame an animal for the lack of control of a human.
  • Sick Boy 2012/03/10 21:36:25
    Sick Boy
  • bricklyn Sick Boy 2012/03/12 01:41:10
    bricklyn
  • Sick Boy bricklyn 2012/03/12 05:45:47
    Sick Boy
    All pit bulls should be killed!!!
  • bricklyn Sick Boy 2012/03/15 02:48:46
    bricklyn
    +1
    Then all priests should be killed too. It is exactly the same analogy.

If you think all pit bulls are dangerous, logic dictates that all priests are dangerous too.
  • Sick Boy bricklyn 2012/03/15 04:33:52
    Sick Boy
    Oh give me a break its nowhere even close!
  • bricklyn Sick Boy 2012/03/16 00:38:05
    bricklyn
    +1
    It is exactly the same kind of logic. Illigical fear ridden knee jerk reaction based on misinformation.
  • Sick Boy bricklyn 2012/03/16 04:34:37
  • katywon bricklyn 2012/03/16 18:21:17
    katywon
    You are wrong. Try to take a deep breath and think before you hit out at people who are sharing and telling the truth. I am glad you love pits.
  • txtumli... Sick Boy 2012/03/27 15:54:21
    txtumlinLovesGodMoreThanSH
    +1
    I disagree. There ARE stories of pits defending children from snakes, taking the bite to protect the kids, other dogs, strangers lurking around their property.

So to say ALL pit bulls should be killed is OVERKILL! Pit Bulls and kids Pit Bulls and kids Pit Bulls and kids Pit Bulls and kids Pit Bulls and kids Pit Bulls and kids
  • katywon txtumli... 2012/03/27 17:37:49
    katywon
    +1
    I would never say all pits should be killed. This particular dog referred to was rescued from a group of street people when he was six months old. He was sweet and lovable. At three years he started to become agressive although loving to his master. We recently found out that the original owners were using him as bait to train other pit-bulls to fight. I personally have a mixed pit who is the most loving dog in the world.She is big and clumsy and wants to sit on your lap.
    I still think that once they have injured a human being or another dog they should be put down. The owner of the biting pit tried to get a rescue place who retrains those dogs. But no luck.
  • katywon katywon 2012/03/27 17:38:25
    katywon
    Yours looks beautiful and loving. May he live a long life.

2014/08/20 16:34:45