Should 911 Calls Be Made More Private?

LegalZoom 2012/02/21 22:56:24
Spurred to action by the release of a 911 call about actress Demi Moore, California Assemblywoman Norma Torres (D-Pomona) has introduced a bill that would prohibit authorities from releasing the medical or any personally identifying information in such emergency phone calls. Read more...

Read More: http://blog.legalzoom.com/privacy/demi-moore%E2%80...

• Grandpa 2012/03/16 18:39:58
    Grandpa
    +4
    No as it shows how stupid some of the operators are and how long it takes to dispatch help>> Like asking the caller to speak up when they are hiding from an intruder >> Takeing to long to evaluate the problem and send help

• Hopscotch 2012/04/20 17:18:01
    Hopscotch
    Bleeding from the what....?
  • bettyboop 2012/03/19 13:01:46
    bettyboop
    The only people who need to know are the ones who will be caring for the person. Society has become one big chicken yard, soon as all the chickens (people) see a weaker chicken, their ready to jump on it and peck it to death.
  • JAA 2012/03/17 21:07:20
    JAA
    I also don't think cameras ought to be allowed, or at least published, when 911 personnel are going into someone's home, or even as the patient is being loaded onto a gurney & transported (unless it's an aerial view or from a far off distance). This is a very, very hard time in a person's life, as well as their family's, & the public is becoming more & more voyeuristic. IMO, it's sick.

Another thing I believe is that cameras & videos should not be allowed into private funerals. People want to grieve in private, & that privacy should be protected, no matter if the person was a regular ole Joe Schmo, or a public celebrity. Enough is enough.
  • hellokitty 2012/03/17 14:56:32
    hellokitty
    +1
    Yes and double yes! Soon people wont want to be saving others lives etc and dialing up the ambos or the police just in case there humilated for not being able to save a life or for looking like an idiot . We shouldnt be made a spectacle at our times of shock , or fear!
  • Sally Fusco 2012/03/17 06:04:48
    Sally Fusco
    +2
    I've used 911 several times and I think it's great just the way it is.
  • Dolly 2012/03/17 02:50:52
    Dolly
  • Melisa.Vaughan111 2012/03/17 02:03:01
    Melisa.Vaughan111
    +1
    I have my own issues and they could be released if deemed worthy of such idiocy. I don't care too much about hearing the tapes and laugh at the stupid ones. Seems like people are worried over nothing even worth thinking about.
  • branrules101 2012/03/16 22:02:14
    branrules101
    +2
    I think that the person who made the call should have to give consent for the call to be released.
  • Christi 2012/03/16 19:10:43
    Christi
    yes
  • Kyle 2012/03/16 18:48:41
    Kyle
    At least in certain cases.
  • Grandpa 2012/03/16 18:39:58
    Grandpa
    +4
  • PurpleP... Grandpa 2012/03/16 19:21:50
    PurplePeopleEater
    +1
    Right?!
    Just the other day I had to call the police because some lady attacking another women over oxycodone pills in front of Walgreens. It took police nearly 10 minutes to get there.

The police station is literally RIGHT across the street.
  • Grandpa PurpleP... 2012/03/16 20:44:47
    Grandpa
    They only like to showup after the fact >. That way they are safe and only have to write a report from what others tell them that happen >> Need to stay alive to enjoy that BIG PENSION after the rule of 65 >>> They sure are quick to kill even those who are not armed >> New york shot at 45 times ,no gun was found > a 3 year old killed while a so called sniper shot the father who had a knife while holding her >> Maybe a little less time suck brews and a lot more time on the target range that little girl would still be here ??? It's a tough job but like in the service you need to put YOUR life on the line and if the stress is to much find another job where you are less likely to take a life
  • JAA Grandpa 2012/03/17 21:10:04
    JAA
    I imagine if someone had taped you when you were working, you'd have an issue with privacy. People tend to give our right to privacy away as long as it doesn't affect them personally.
  • Grandpa JAA 2012/03/17 21:27:44
    Grandpa
    I don't say anything or do that I am ashamd or have to hide >>
  • JAA Grandpa 2012/03/18 05:50:01 (edited)
    JAA
    You're one of the two or three aliens left on the Earth. Maybe we can help you reach your mother ship. ;-)

btw, desiring privacy, which every citizen has the right to, is NOT the same as being too ashamed to show your butt to the world. As a registered nurse, having taught students in a busy county hospital ER, I can assure you that patients generally don't like their pictures taken when they're in a state of undress or having their privates exposed for defibrillation.

Also, 911 calls ARE embarrassing enough when YOU are the one that accidentally discharged a weapon, or got yourself caught in your bathtub, or fell off a ladder & broke your hip; however, when you are one of those unfortunate mothers whose son is freaking out after being home on leave with a head injury, after his 3rd tour in Afghanistan, threatening your family with a knife or gun, & then to have your screams of panic & fear being broadcast on the TV screen makes you a victim three times over. You are now in fear for your life, knowing that it is someone you love dearly who has "lost it", & now everyone knows about it, & you are now being hounded by the voyeuristic public at large, because everyone feels they have a "right" to know your personal business.

Finally, I don't want the world to hear my cries of desp...&

Finally, I don't want the world to hear my cries of despair & fear as I'm calling 911 while holding my husband of 37 yrs while he's hemorrhaging or having a stroke, or trying to talk to 911 while administering CPR to my grandchild. There is nothing to be "embarrassed" in that, but it most certainly is PRIVATE!! As an elderly gentlemen, I would think you'd understand this. Just think about it, no need to respond.
  • Grandpa JAA 2012/03/18 13:37:06 (edited)
    Grandpa
    Yes on my planet we know the diffence between a picture and a phone conversation >. The point being some who are taking those calls procastinate till after the fact >>> You should come join us in the real world and I am just as cute dress as i am undressed >> And by the way they are screaming and the 911 operator is asking stupid questions .. Instead of dispatching help than ask the questions and makeing them public help make for a better system >> And the only tapes are the one were a crime has been committed and how the responce was handled >>. Chill out and have a nice day >>. May the force be with you >>>>> BYE
  • JAA Grandpa 2012/03/19 00:20:53 (edited)
    JAA
    There are QA groups involved in the EMT system, so the public does not need to automatically be privy to all 911 calls. This needs to be an internal QC, & not broadcast to the public-at-large. Yes, the public can have access to the information IF they subpoena it & have a specific objective for needing the information, other than sensationalism or gossip.

btw, I was responding to your arrogant comment about YOU not having anything to be embarrassed about. You completely ignored my point. Bye to you, too.
  • Grandpa JAA 2012/03/19 13:17:32
    Grandpa
    You must be one of those who must defend them selfs from others who ask questions in order to make things better >> You just like the ststus Quo >> BYE have a great day and Chill out
  • JAA Grandpa 2012/03/19 13:43:49 (edited)
    JAA
    No, I'm what is referred to a "thinker" & "teacher". You make it sound like those two things are anathema to an intelligent conversation. I am disheartened to find that you believe a person needs to "chill out" & not expect you to back up your comments. I was actually relaxing in bed, with my laptop, while drinking a glass of wine when I wrote my previous post. I couldn't have been more relaxed.

You are mistaken if you think that these social forums are all about you communicating an opinion & expecting no questions or response. That's a bit naive. You, I think, are the one that may need to "chill out." ;-)
  • Grandpa JAA 2012/03/19 18:31:12
    Grandpa
    Not me as I don't need a drink to feel good about myself >>> You can't be much of a thinker , look at the world around you I don't have to back up my opinion as you don't have to either >> I feel we can do better if everything is above board > And you don't >> so go awat and have another glass of wine
  • JAA Grandpa 2012/03/20 01:32:01 (edited)
    JAA
    The glass of wine was doctor-ordered, as I've got multiple serious health issues & must work 2 full-time jobs to help support 3 families. I guess if you've got nothing to offer a conversation, the next best thing is to be a total jerk.

Please don't bother responding, as I have neither the patience or wherewithal to spend time with such a cad. I bet your mama is turning over in her grave at your manners toward another human being, much less a female. My mom would have slapped her sons had they responded as you have, old man.
  • Grandpa JAA 2012/03/20 12:36:10
    Grandpa
    I can see why >> The wine must be to help you chill out < but you had better go back and ask for something strong as it's not working >. And calling me names is a sign you can't prove what you are saying >> Bye and good luck >> And my mom NEVER had to slap us as we where good kids >> And my manners and opinions were never a problem with her as they are with YOU
  • JAA Grandpa 2012/03/20 17:14:51 (edited)
    JAA
    Go away, old man. You're now acting like a teenager. Please do NOT respond back to me, as I do not wish to block you.
  • Grandpa JAA 2012/03/20 17:40:11
  • desert_flowerxx 2012/03/16 17:31:05
    desert_flowerxx
    Really depends on the situation.
  • iHatespam 2012/03/16 17:28:01
    iHatespam
    +1
    But should be released for court cases.
  • Laura Lovegood 2012/03/16 16:46:07
  • PurpleP... Laura L... 2012/03/16 19:27:54
    PurplePeopleEater
    +1
    But how is the person needing help being protected?
    Not everyone wants the public to know any health problems they have had. Certain things about a person are meant to be protected, including their health records. I'm sure it falls under our right to privacy.
  • Laura L... PurpleP... 2012/03/16 19:46:33
  • JAA Laura L... 2012/03/17 21:12:38
    JAA
    If that's the case, the video or call recording will be part of the litigation proceedings. Why should it be just a matter of course that a person's recorded voice in a devastating & very personal time be published all over the internet & TV?
  • JAA Laura L... 2012/03/18 06:20:52
    JAA
    Your second sentence is the key. Good comment.
  • right-choice 2012/03/16 15:57:38
    right-choice
    +1
    this is a yes and no answer, because is calls upon what the sitution is, small family matters then Then Yes, but Crimial Action No.
  • Get Bashed 2012/03/16 15:47:08
    Get Bashed
    +1
    The only way it should become public is if is being used to build a case against someone...maybe an intruder in someone's home!
  • Myst 2012/03/16 15:33:37
    Myst
    +1
    Having worked as a 911 operator and Dispatcher for the Broward Sheriff's Office for 8 of the 15 years that I was with the agency I can tell you that in the past 20 years the request for copies of 911 calls has risen over 100%. News agencies want copies of every major accident or anything sensational, attorneys for cases against a spouse or where they believe errors have occurred etc... Any request must be made in writing to the Custodian of Records these calls are public record.
  • harley oldman 2012/03/16 15:17:37
    harley oldman
    ...YEP...!
  • Florence Doucet 2012/03/16 14:53:09
    Florence Doucet
    +3
    911 calls should only be used for the purpose of providing emergency assistance to people in need and as evidence in court proceedings, as far as I am concerned the media shouldn't be granted access to tapes of 911 calls.
  • hari 2012/03/16 13:33:24
    hari
    yes however one need to view the provisions and applicability and DO & DO NOTs
  • DanC 2012/03/16 13:09:42
    DanC
    +1
    No... but not privacy is the issue... too many idiots call 911 for almost no reason and too many people get arrested for almost no reason as a result of someone calling 911... lots of laws must be changed/abolished... 911 should be reserved for real emergencies and arrests should be reserved for people who present a real, imminent danger to others...
  • JAA DanC 2012/03/17 21:14:35
    JAA
    So, we should take away the right to privacy for the good guys because there are bad guys out their abusing the system???

2014/07/25 18:28:43