Shared Backyards: Brilliant or Bad Idea?

Robert Frost said that good fences make good neighbors. But these days a growing number of homeowners are knocking them down in order to create larger communal backyards.

Joining your backyard with your neighbor’s means there is more room for gardening and entertaining, children and pets and can run around more freely, and you may even be able to build that swimming pool or tennis court you’ve always dreamed of. But the extra space doesn’t come without added difficulties.

Gardening expenses can be split evenly, but who pulls the weeds and who gets to pick the fruit? Post a sign-up sheet for use of the communal table? Or is there an always-room-to-share policy? What happens when one neighbor wants to sell?” asked Anne Marie Chaker of The Wall Street Journal.

Many of the individuals who have opted for shared backyards explain that they are are hammering these details out in monthly decision-making meetings and in legal documents. The potential risks are evident, but if you actually like your neighbors and are willing to give up some of your privacy, yard-sharing seems like a fantastic option. (That is if you live in a neighborhood that hasn’t prohibited the practice.)

So, what do you think SodaHeads? Is yard-sharing brilliant or a bad idea?

Read More: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100014240527023037...

• Christopher Kirchen 2012/06/17 14:07:27
    Bad Idea
    Christopher Kirchen
    +4
    Unless there's a written easement and all parties involved have a copy.
  • Ron in Oregon 2012/06/17 13:45:02
    Bad Idea
    Ron in Oregon
    +4
    I am looking for a retirement home and one of the requirements is no HOA's.
    If you want to live in a socialist community, that is your choice.
    If you want it for the entire USA then vote for Obama.
  • TKramar 2012/06/17 13:35:08
    Brilliant
    TKramar
    +1
    I don't want a yard. I never use it. As long as someone else cuts it, and I'm not responsible for it, I don't care what they do. I live IN a house, not outside it.
  • Dodgerfan 2012/06/17 13:06:43
    Bad Idea
    Dodgerfan
    +5
    The right to one's own property is the foundation of capitalism.

The modern mystics of muscle who offer you the fraudulent alternative of “human rights” versus “property rights,” as if one could exist without the other, are making a last, grotesque attempt to revive the doctrine of soul versus body. Only a ghost can exist without material property; only a slave can work with no right to the product of his effort. The doctrine that “human rights” are superior to “property rights” simply means that some human beings have the right to make property out of others; since the competent have nothing to gain from the incompetent, it means the right of the incompetent to own their betters and to use them as productive cattle. Whoever regards this as human and right, has no right to the title of “human.”-Ayn Rand
  • thє вlu... Dodgerfan 2012/06/17 15:06:42
  • Dodgerfan thє вlu... 2012/06/17 15:59:50
    Dodgerfan
    Spoken like a true socialist who expects someone else to take care of him and take what someone else has worked for and spread it around. Did he vote for FDR?
  • thє вlu... Dodgerfan 2012/06/17 16:42:14
  • Michaelene 2012/06/17 12:50:38
    Bad Idea
    Michaelene
    +4
    No thanks, I'll keep my yard and you keep yours.
    If this were all about community gardening, then the neighbors could buy a lot and share it with all the legalities set in stone.
    If someone dosen't do their fair share, toss em out!
  • Wulfdane 2012/06/17 12:48:05 (edited)
    Bad Idea
    Wulfdane
    +6
    I like my neighbors and I get along great with them, but I have no desire for "communal sharing" of my property. There is a reason I get along with my neighbors, we don't invade each others privacy.

Then there is the BS of hammering out contracts and *monthly descesion meetings*, forget it. I have no desire to complicate my life with such nonsense. The least complicated life, is the best life.

I enjoy my privacy and will not sacrifice it. There is satisfaction in being able to go home and enjoying your little piece of the world without the complications of other people.
  • Gloria 2012/06/17 12:47:56
    Bad Idea
    Gloria
    +1
    I don't want to deal with kids. Also I want my pets safe.
  • clasact 2012/06/17 12:18:12
    Bad Idea
    clasact
    +4
    I like my privacy and I like fixing my back yard my way not what someone else wants besides its pretty big already
  • Callaway 2012/06/17 12:17:59
    Bad Idea
    Callaway
    +6
    I don't care if it's family or strangers there will at some point be big differences with how the space should be used people NEED space to themselves to do with whatever they so choose not forced communal coop urban gardening. Just because you just happen to live next to Mr. and Mrs Green Thumb doesn't mean you want to eat sweet peas year around.
  • Mary Ann 2012/06/17 12:17:01
    Bad Idea
    Mary Ann
    +7
    It's right up there with condominium living........fights, legal issues, nut cases on boards, etc.
  • Chris - The Rowdy One! #187 2012/06/17 12:07:39
  • Elizabeth 2012/06/17 12:02:09
    Bad Idea
    Elizabeth
    +5
    Stupid.
  • the fuze 2012/06/17 11:09:03
    Bad Idea
    the fuze
    +2
    Where I live (Bloomington, MN, a suburb of Minneapolis) we have SO many options for community gardens and we have one of the highest numbers of parks & "green" spaces in the state. So much so, that there is no need for sharing backyards or whatever else. Just seems like a silly idea, at least for our area/neighborhood.
  • BERYL 2012/06/17 11:03:36
    Bad Idea
    BERYL
    +2
    Seeing the tips some people make of their gardens, no way would I want to share. Don't get me wrong, I haven't got a perfect lawn nor borders straight edged with a set square, but I do try to keep the weeds down. My puppy and grandchildren make sure it is never as nice as I'd like. On one side I have an elderly neighbour whose daughter does keep the grass cut, but odd nettles and brambles creep through. On the other side of my garden is a side road with a bank dropping down to my garden, so all the water pours down like a mini Niagara Falls when it rains, and the bank is never cut so is a mess of brambles and nettles which grow under the fence into my garden.
    I clear up after my puppy, but imagine having to clean up after your neighbour's dog as well before your own children/grandchildren could go out and play.
  • Osk 2012/06/17 11:00:52
    Bad Idea
    Osk
    +2
    I find it pointless where I live since backyards are big.
  • Anonymouse ~superdoge~ 2012/06/17 10:43:46
    Brilliant
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    How about having a communal space for children to play on and have barbecues, etc., but have separate vegetable patches and flowerbeds owned by one house.
  • FELINE GESTURES IN THE DARK 2012/06/17 10:21:55
    Brilliant
    FELINE GESTURES IN THE DARK
    +1
    Good idea .
  • 001 2012/06/17 10:21:16
    Brilliant
    001
    +2
    If you are at good terms with your neighbours, and you can come to an agreement, it can be a really good idea.
  • ed 2012/06/17 10:16:27
    Brilliant
    ed
    +2
    From a gardners point of view it's a great idea ,when the vegetables you buy from your grocery store taste like cardboard then start growing your own and taste the difference.
  • Scream 2012/06/17 10:01:56
    Brilliant
    Scream
    +2
    If you like your neighbours. When we moved into our house about 12 years ago we had a shared backyard with our neighbours. They were a lovely old couple and the kids on the other side of them would come over a lot so we could all play with their grandkids. Eventually we put up a fence but I can't remember why. When we first put it up it was more of a burden than anything, because our games were more restricted and it was annoying to climb over and back again every day.

So yeah, if you like your neighbours and visit them a bit it wouldn't be a problem. But I guess a lot of people aren't like that.
  • Playerazzi 2012/06/17 09:24:44
    Bad Idea
    Playerazzi
    +1
    Good fences make good neighbors.

Except if you are in a Kibbutz.
  • Cyan9 2012/06/17 08:59:57
    Brilliant
    Cyan9
    +2
    There is a lot of hyperbole in this thread but it's sodahead, so pretty much expected. Anyway, considering how often back yards are actually used a communal backyard makes a lot of sense. Who actually uses their yard most days? Especially when you look a suburban and urban environments where the yards are quite small. So there would be a lot of benefit to pooling resources and enjoying the "economies of scale" when it comes to back yards. Cooperation tends to make everyone better off.
  • Karl 2012/06/17 08:47:11
    Bad Idea
    Karl
    +4
    I know I sound like a greedy person, but my backyard is my backyard. I wouldn't particularly care for people trekking through it when I'm trying to read a book or something. (Besides, how would you keep people off that aren't supposed to be there?)
  • Haruko.... Karl 2012/06/19 08:46:44
    Haruko.Haruhara
    +1
    Man that's not greedy that's SMART!
  • TheBorg 2012/06/17 08:17:15
    Bad Idea
    TheBorg
    +7
    I've got enough dog crap in my yard from uninvited neighbors. If I invited and shared my backyard with them it will be piled a mile high.
    crap yard uninvited neighbors invited shared backyard piled mile high
  • Corsair 2012/06/17 07:25:10 (edited)
    Bad Idea
    Corsair
    +6
    I like my yard the way I like my privacy. My own business and no one else's.
  • beach bum 2012/06/17 06:34:57
    Bad Idea
    beach bum
    +2
    bad idea
  • LaiLaiHart 2012/06/17 06:31:12
    Bad Idea
    LaiLaiHart
    +5
    why dont you share bathrooms, cars, and underwear too
  • Shawna 2012/06/17 05:52:16
    Bad Idea
    Shawna
    +5
    I like privacy. Unless your neighbour is a really close friend or family member I cannot imagine wanting to do this.
  • Chris 2012/06/17 05:19:59
    Brilliant
    Chris
    +2
    If everyone agrees... in a legal contract that their properties can be merged into one community owned property, then I don't see a problem if it's what they want to do... this is essentially what apartment complexes do... a pool, tennis court, etc for everyone to use.
  • Sayer Stewart 2012/06/17 05:09:21
    Bad Idea
    Sayer Stewart
  • LaiLaiHart Sayer S... 2012/06/17 06:32:52
    LaiLaiHart
    +3
    lols, i love those faces, they are hilarious
  • RoyJLores 2012/06/17 05:08:36
    Bad Idea
    RoyJLores
    +4
    I would not forbid the practice if say one or 2 neighbors want to do that it is their business but what should never happen is to force people either way. To liberty...
  • Biki~pwcm/potl~ 2012/06/17 05:06:55
    Brilliant
    Biki~pwcm/potl~
    +3
    I do this now, I share my back pasture with my neighbors horses for a few months each year. Her pastures get a break, and my pastures get chomped down. I have two goats who love the company, the pasture is too big in the spring time for them alone to keep it under control.
  • hilda 2012/06/17 04:48:40
    Bad Idea
    hilda
    +5
    i would never share my backyard with a neighbor. i might as well share my kitchen, or car. i like having my things mine. and i don't need someone looking into my windows seeing what i'm up to.
  • Derbyhat 2012/06/17 04:38:22
    Bad Idea
    Derbyhat
    +4
    It is my annual dream to plant a vegetable garden and not kill the crop. When My daughter gets involved in its planning my blood pressure goes up as she does planning above and beyond what I want and expects me to do all the back breaking labor. Sharing a backyard likely stinks higher than a cloud of flatulence of a herd of dinosaurs! Share the food, but not the yard!!!
  • GLaDOS 2012/06/17 04:32:15
    Bad Idea
    GLaDOS
    +4
    Personally, I prefer the privacy.

2014/07/28 12:36:31