'Sexperiment' Pastor: Not Satisfying Spouse in Bed Is a Sin

β˜…~DoctorWhoGuru~β˜… 2012/02/15 04:25:13

Sexperiment author and Fellowship Church pastor Ed Young, who is challenging married couples at his church to have sex for seven straight days, believes that sexual deprivation and not satisfying a spouse within the lovemaking department are sinful.

"I think one day we will be held accountable regarding how we satisfied our spouse's sexually," Young told The Christian Post in an interview Friday.

"I would, in fact, off of Romans 12:1 say that sex is even an act of worship because Romans 12 said we can present our bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is a reasonable act of worship."

Young teaches in his new bestselling book, Sexperiment: 7 Days to Lasting Intimacy with Your Spouse, that depriving a spouse of sexual intimacy is a sin.

Husbands or wives who constantly say "no" are not only putting a spirit of rejection on their marriage, they are interfering with their fellowship with God, he says.

READ FULL INTERVIEW OF ED YOUNG TALKING ABOUT SEXPERIMENT HERE

Like us on Facebook

In a chapter called "Stop Making Sexcuses...and Start Making Love," Young cites 1 Corinthians 7 to argue that regular sex in marriage is a biblical imperative:

"The sin of depriving your spouse of his or her sexual needs puts a strain on your fellowship with the Lord. The marriage relationship is a reflection of the relationship that Christ has with the church. Because of this unique correlation, when your marriage relationship is strained, your relationship with Christ is also negatively affected." (p.40)

To help his congregation connect how sex and faith relate to each other in the context of marriage, Young asked married couples at his church to have sex for seven straight days, starting last Tuesday. The event which coincided with National Marriage Week USA will conclude tomorrow on Valentine's Day.

"We are trying to tell people that the point is not to make 7 out of 7. It shouldn't be the point of it," Young told CP. "The fact is that sex is more than just sex. It's multifaceted and multidimensional. During this week, we are giving out what we call sexual chocolate, seven pieces of chocolate and wrapped around the chocolate are seven different reasons (divinity, unity, purity, priority, legacy, creativity, loyalty) why we should make love if you are married. And for singles to think about and pray about when they get married. We have seven different devotions people can go through online whether they are single or married to go through."

Young is also not the only evangelical megachurch pastor who believes the Bible is clear on Christians having regular and passionate sex. And he's not the only one who's recently written a book on sex either.

Mark Driscoll, pastor of Mars Hill Church in Seattle, also teaches a similar message to married Christian couples in his new book called Real Marriage: The Truth About Sex, Friendship, and Life Together. His wife Grace is the co-author.

In the book, the Driscolls also teach that the husband and wife should engage in sex regularly because it's a God-given gift meant to be enjoyed in marriage.

"The biblical pattern for Christian marriage is free and frequent sex," the Driscolls write in their book. "The exception is when the couple agree that for valid reasons and a needed season they will abstain from free and frequent sexual activity to prayerfully devote themselves to a critical matter in the marriage."

But having sex on a regular basis can be tough, even for Young himself.

Young admits to CP that he got "tired" on Day 3 of the "Sexperiment" challenge because of non-stop speaking engagements.

"I just went to bed," he said. "We try to make up for it."

Watch the full story on "Nightline" tonight at 11:35 p.m. ET/PT

Read More: https://news.google.com/news/story?q=Evangelical+P...

• HiYa 2012/02/16 00:31:34
    HiYa
    +1
    I've never been married, but I've heard from a lot of married men, that their wives reject them because they're tired a lot. I hear from married women that they reject their husbands because they're expected to do everything and still be ready to "perform" sexually at night when they really just need some sleep.
  • Beautiful_Syn 2012/02/15 14:21:30
    Beautiful_Syn
    +1
    Wow he sounds like a person who believes when women or men say that they were raped are actually going against God, why do people post or talk about this nut job anyway?
  • Reality-Check 2012/02/15 12:23:40
    Reality-Check
    +2
    LOL...
  • Lady Wh... Reality... 2012/02/15 12:26:56
    +1
    hear ya
  • Reality... Lady Wh... 2012/02/15 12:28:18
    Reality-Check
    +2
    speechless...
  • Surgeon ~The Egalitarianist~ 2012/02/15 08:35:24 (edited)
    Surgeon ~The Egalitarianist~
    +1
    So... by this logic the solution is to listen to Paul and not get married and therefore not fornicate as well. Well, to an extent. He said to remain single as he but if you can't restrain yourself then to marry and followed it up with how he saw marriage as just a means to fulfill your sexual desires. You know, if you can't restrain yourself. For it's better to be married than to fornicate... Paul didn't exactly like marriage, so yeah. XD

Marriage is about love and respect. Believe it or not, some people don't want sex but may just want to get married. I'm one such person. It would make me very unhappy to have sex, it's not a show of love to me. Don't know why, it's just not.

I prefer religious leaders, or anyone for that matter, to not decide for other people what makes a happy marriage or not. I find this to be a warped interpretation at best.

If getting married means having sex is like a contractual obligation then I'm not getting married, no matter how much I want to. Sex is one way to form a connection with your partner, ONE as in not the only way. Some people can love and want to be loved but do not enjoy being touched sexually (or just generally).

I agree sex is more than just sex but honestly it's not that big of a deal to some people. And if sex or lack thereof is what m...

I agree sex is more than just sex but honestly it's not that big of a deal to some people. And if sex or lack thereof is what makes or breaks a marriage then that just tells me it was flimsy and doomed from the very beginning. For some people out there a lack of sex from someone they love may make them a little frustrated but if they really love someone then the relationship will stay strong. If it doesn't, then it wasn't based on anything pliable to begin with.
  • SK-pro impeachment 2012/02/15 05:46:37
    SK-pro impeachment
    +1
    He's a fraud. He does not preach the unadulterated Gospel message of salvation. Been to the "church'' and know, ppl who attend. He's nothing more than a glorified motivational speaker.
    He admitted himself he didn't make it through the seven days straight. it's always good to practice and prove something before you preach it.
    This is old going back to last year.
  • John Galt jr or Ron/jon 2012/02/15 05:45:52
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    +1
    Where was this guy when I was married
  • Wonder Woman 2012/02/15 05:44:32
  • Jiorgia 2012/02/15 05:09:57
  • Herb 2012/02/15 05:03:32
    Herb
    +1
    very cool
    1cor 7:Now for the matters you wrote about: β€œIt is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” 2 But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband. 3 The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife. 5 Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer.
  • Keichi Morisato 2012/02/15 04:27:04
    Keichi Morisato
    +1
    it certainly isn't a sin and if he is saying that then i guess he isn't satisfied. granted how can you when your compensating. if you know what i mean MEME

2014/11/23 18:56:01