Sex & Religion: What restrictions do your religious beliefs place on sexual behavior?

Magical 2012/07/30 17:51:45
I am a Christian
I am Jewish
I am a Muslim
I am involved in Scientology
I am a Jehovah's Witness
I am a Pagan
I am a Buddhist
I am...

Some religious beliefs have very strict rules when it comes to sex -- forbidding sex before marriage, forbidding homosexual relationships, and even after marriage there are some religions that continue to govern sexual behavior.

What restrictions do your religious beliefs place on sexual behavior – and how stringently are they enforced?

• Yoru 2012/07/30 17:59:00 (edited)
    I am...
    Yoru
    +5
    My religious views are simply my own. As for Marriage, it is nothing more than a legal contract between consenting adults. "Religious Marriage" is nothing more than a ceremony based on whichever type of religion is being used, however, they are not considered married until they have a state issued marriage license.

As for sexual behavior, no religion has the right to legislate their morality into our government and to dictate the lives of other adults. However, they are free to practice their own beliefs within the confines of their personal lives.

• skroehr 2012/07/30 19:55:38
    I am a Christian
    skroehr
    In the Church, while not expressed as "rules", but more as a truth of what is right under natural law, and as a matter of doctrine and conscience, sexual intercourse, (the marital embrace) is for the practice of married couples (one man and one woman), who are open in their hearts to the creation of life. All other persons are essentially called to chastity as a vocation.

Enforced? The "enforcement" would be in one's conscience and relationship with God. If a person falls, as most do, since we are all sinners, AND is unrepentant, then it is believed it won't bode well for us in the particular judgement during death. If a person isn't in agreement with the Church, and yet professes to be, then thy are in a state of self ex-communication until the point when they reconcile themselves to the Church and her doctrine. Only a persons own conscience can regulate themselves. There are no sex police. Do other religions have some kind of "enforcement". That would be awful if it were an external force.
  • RogerCoppock 2012/07/30 19:49:10
    I am a Buddhist
    RogerCoppock
    +2
    Buddhism is is a widely varied religion, more so than most religions. There are Buddhists who are very strictly celibate. My particular Buddhist sect, the Jōdo Shinshū, was founded by a monk who married, and promotes itself as "Buddhism for the householder."
  • skroehr RogerCo... 2012/07/30 19:58:59
    skroehr
    +1
    I was Jodo Shinshu prior to my conversion to Christianity in my late 40's. I don't run into very many from this sect. Namu Amdia Butsu.
  • RogerCo... skroehr 2012/07/31 04:10:10
    RogerCoppock
    +1
    I believe our SodaHead identities have met before.
  • Daryl 2012/07/30 19:46:18
    I am a Christian
    Daryl
    Far too many!
  • ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠ 2012/07/30 19:45:20 (edited)
    I am...
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    an atheist. So yeah, no restrictions, really. Doesn't mean I'm going to actually go and *do everything* but you get the idea.
  • 7 minutes ago... 2012/07/30 19:42:43
    I am a Christian
    7 minutes ago...
    It keeps my ass on check.
  • Aly Hart 2012/07/30 19:37:23
    I am...
    Aly Hart
    +2
    Not religious.

do all the things
  • Shawna 2012/07/30 19:32:25
    I am...
    Shawna
    +3
    Atheist and free to engage in any sexual behaviour I wish to.
  • Wayne TH G 333 2012/07/30 19:17:44
    I am...
    Wayne TH G 333
    +3
    Not religious, therefore I make my own rules!
    sex funny
  • Chris- ... Wayne T... 2012/07/30 21:28:27
    Chris- Demon of the PHAET
    +1
    lol...
  • BritPunk 2012/07/30 19:17:09 (edited)
    I am...
    BritPunk
    +1
    Me. My rules are:
    Firstly do no harm.
    Secondly, keep to SSC.
    Sorted!
  • JMCC 2012/07/30 19:09:35
    I am...
    JMCC
    +3
    I am a spiritual person who believes that all religion (outside of Organised and Controlled Religion) has its own merits as long as you can sweep away dogma.

Do no harm.

Probably the one defining commandment of any religion that I have studied.

It does not just refer to physical harm, but emotional, spiritual and material and it is obvious how it might be applied to sex,

IE If you have sex you have to be prepared for whatever consequences that may arise and to take responsibility for them.
  • BritPunk JMCC 2012/07/30 19:18:24
    BritPunk
    +2
    Beat me to it (ooh er missus!).
    Hear hear old bean.
  • Metaldane 2012/07/30 19:08:00
    I am a Pagan
    Metaldane
    +1
    I am an Asatruar Asatru is a bit different then other pagan religions. But we're still pagans (though many prefer heathen) my religion doesn't restrict us in anyway as long as it fits our values meaning obviously nothing like pedophilia and rape as that goes against our sense of honor and justice and basically what's right, but alternative practices like bdsm for example are fine it's kind of a whatever floats your boat topic lol.
  • rawrimamoocow 2012/07/30 18:12:28
    I am...
    rawrimamoocow
    +3
    Im a LaVeyan Satanist. No restrictions.
  • Professor Wizard 2012/07/30 18:05:31
    I am...
    Professor Wizard
    +1
    Not religious... so there are no restrictions on my sexual activity.. or any other activity for that matter, aside from the Law.
  • User Deactivated 2012/07/30 17:59:36
    I am...
    User Deactivated
    +1
    I'm agnostic. The only restrictions being put on my sexual behavior aren't even religion related, but related rather to the women who won't have sexual relations with me.
  • Yoru 2012/07/30 17:59:00 (edited)
    I am...
    Yoru
    +5

• bags th... Yoru 2012/07/30 19:18:56
    bags the Indigenous Guru
    +2
    Well said!

2014/11/27 20:51:45