SENATOR WANTS LAW TO MAKE SINGLE PARENTHOOD A FORM OF CHILD ABUSE

☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2012/03/03 23:51:22
republican war on women
When are republicans going to stay out of women’s wombs long enough to actually take care of things that need to be done?
Republican Senator Glenn Grothman
Republican Senator Glenn Grothman of West Bend, WI, has sponsored a bill that would formally consider single parenthood a contributing factor to child abuse. Section 1. 48.982 (2) (g) 2. of Senate Bill 507 is amended to read:

Promote statewide educational and public awareness campaigns and materials for the purpose of developing public awareness of the problems of child abuse and neglect. In promoting those campaigns and materials, the board shall emphasize nonmarital parenthood as a contributing factor to child abuse and neglect.
Section 2. 48.982 (2) (g) 4. of the statute is also amended to read:

48.982 (2) (g) 4. Disseminate information about the problems of and methods of preventing child abuse and neglect to the public and to organizations concerned with those problems. In disseminating that information, the board shall emphasize nonmarital parenthood as a contributing factor to child abuse and neglect.
republican war on women
From reports on this outrageous law it’s not clear whether the Senator actually has any data to back up this claim, but my guess is no. As is often the case with outlandish legislation such as this, Sen. Grothman has a history of declaring a war on single parenthood.

Last year, he proposed a conspiracy theory that single parenthood is all apart of a Democratic ploy for bigger government. He wrote that the:”Left and the social welfare establishment want children born out of wedlock because they are far more likely to be dependent on the government.”
santorum  dark ages
While I’m no advocate for single parenthood, you can’t make that lifestyle a right or wrong issue. It’s about responsibility in some ways and for others evidence of a change in societal attitudes toward two-parent homes.
santorum  dark ages
Although according to Grothman, “the rise in single motherhood has been driven by all the great financial benefits single, low-income mothers receive.” So what should women do, have an abortion? Oh wait, you don’t want us to do that either.

This alleged link between child abuse and single parenthood is a slap in the face of single mothers (and fathers) everywhere who are handling their parental responsibilities. There are far better ways to discourage being a single parent.
Do you think this law has a chance of getting passed?

Read More: http://madamenoire.com/142560/senator-wants-to-mak...

• luvguins 2012/03/04 00:36:06 (edited)
    luvguins
    +9
    WTF? You know I think that Republicans have either gone totally insane or are glued to the TV series, "Mad Men". These social and cultural wars were settled in the 60's for cripes sake. Single women with children are now criminals? Break out the straight jackets. Who votes for these idiots?

cripes sake women children criminals break straight jackets votes idiots

• Jiorgia 2012/03/04 00:32:50
    Jiorgia
    +6
    no way, his stance is archaic.

single parenthood is often an escape from abuse not a cause of, how many people have left their abusive partners/husbands/wives to protect their children?
    how many people are single parents only because their partners/husbands/wives have died?
    this is certainly a slap in the face to those people.

but it is also a slap in the face to all single parents out there, being a single parent does not mean that you are more likely to abuse or neglect your children!

i was raised by single parents and both my parents loved and nurtured me, i was neither abused nor neglected and we didn't rely on the government to live.
  • Ceri Cat Jiorgia 2012/03/04 05:59:25
    Ceri Cat
    +2
    My mother raised me largely on her own for the first 8 years of my life, my father went back to his wife (don't think less of him it's way too complicated to explain here). She married and that ass abused us both and had abused his own 4 children.

I'm a single dad and my eldest lives with me most of the time, the other night someone tried to break in and the only thing I could think was thank god he's with his mum tonight.

I've never abused or neglected my kids, and I come from a background where abuse was a daily occurrence for years in a married household...

He's just another religious toad in my considered opinion that needs to get out of politics before he's assassinated by an angry grandparent.
  • D.C. Willis 2012/03/04 00:32:11
    D.C. Willis
    +7
    Guess I need to ask a couple questions.

#1 The soldiers killed in Bush's Iraq war left many children with one parent. Does that mean Bush is responsible for the "child abuse" of these children?

#2 If we take a Santorum approach and say the child needs to accept what "God" has given them, does that make "God" responsible for the "abuse".

santorum
  • Wally-M... D.C. Wi... 2012/03/04 00:48:57
    Wally-Molon Labe!
    +2
    #1. That GD Bush is responsible!
  • Lady Wh... D.C. Wi... 2012/03/04 11:04:15
    +1
    WELL SAID!!
  • misterz D.C. Wi... 2012/03/04 19:21:15
  • Your friendly neighborhood ... 2012/03/04 00:29:59
    Your friendly neighborhood stalker
    +2
    Because all republicans believe the same way... -_-
  • JoshuaHarper 2012/03/04 00:20:56
    JoshuaHarper
    WTH!
  • Buzzymuzzwelle 2012/03/04 00:20:30
    Buzzymuzzwelle
    +2
    They also want to make it mandatory for Kosher Delis to serve Ham sandwiches. Oh I must I got that mixed up with making women pray next to there husbands as equals in Mosques. Or was that the Catholic church paying for contraception and abortions. I get it all mixed up these days. It's so hard to keep up with these Communist lumps of crap. Buzzy
  • Trish 2012/03/04 00:18:20
    Trish
    +6
    Um excuse me, but my mother is a single parent raised me since birth. Yea I may be a little strange, weird and a bit crazy in a good way, but my mother and single parents are some of the best caretakers in the world so STFU!!!
  • Sadisticon 2012/03/04 00:16:24
    Sadisticon
    +1
    I think it's harmless silliness. Let's all say it's bad to raise a child in poverty. What do we do about it, then? Same thing with single parenthood; so it's a bad thing - what now? What's laughable about this legislation is that it is proposed by a gentleman who most likely would voice hostile opposition to any other government interference with individual liberty. Or maybe it's sad...
  • abycinnamon BN-1 2012/03/04 00:16:09 (edited)
    abycinnamon BN-1
    +6
    lolcats for this you die

I'm really at a loss here. This is so backward, and so offensive, and so unconstitutional. Are they insane? They are clearly harmful to society....

I'd like to be able to say the law has no possible chance of being passed. I think if it were a ballot measure I could say that. But in these republican dominated state houses, they will pass all sorts of psycho things.
  • Wally-M... abycinn... 2012/03/04 00:51:16
    Wally-Molon Labe!
    +2
    These days the Constitution is the last thing they care about.
  • abycinn... Wally-M... 2012/03/04 02:23:28
    abycinnamon BN-1
    +2
    ain't that the truth.
  • culpepper 2012/03/04 00:06:48
    culpepper
    +5
    scary right wingnut religious whack jobs
  • Justin.Long 2012/03/04 00:01:10
    Justin.Long
    +1
    Ugh....nuff said
  • happyman 2012/03/04 00:00:31
    happyman
    +2
    It has a great shot if Santorum is inducted into the Theocracy King of Kings....
  • ♠Jen♠ BN - 0 2012/03/03 23:59:15
    ♠Jen♠ BN - 0
    +2
    Here's one for the "should've been aborted" list.

On a less insulting note, though he hardly deserves it, what proof does he have besides the ever ambiguous "morality" of the issue?
  • Inquisitve Kat 2012/03/03 23:57:54
    Inquisitve Kat
    +2
    What an idiot!
  • clasact 2012/03/03 23:57:26
    clasact
    +3
    this guy and santorum would get along just great .....two morons
  • jubil8 BN-0 PON 2012/03/03 23:55:39
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +3
    Not a snowball's chance of being passed. Even in Wisconsin. :)

Grothman was one of the pols voters tried to recall -- maybe they'll get rid of him next time around.
  • XENON23 2012/03/03 23:53:37
    XENON23
    +2
    What a nut job!
  • Jo 2012/03/03 23:53:01
    Jo
    +2
    what an incredibly stupid son of a bitch....
  • TheDude 2012/03/03 23:52:16 (edited)
    TheDude
    +2
    Who elects these nut-jobs? He should give up on his political career & become a Bill Gates look-a-like.

2014/04/20 08:38:35