Scandal Rocks Harvard: Should Ivy League Offer Take-Home Exams?

Fef 2012/09/12 19:00:00
Harvard offered take-home tests to its students. Yes, the supposed pinnacle of college education allows its students to take tests home. And the Ivy League institution allowed taking home final exams nonetheless. It should not come as a surprise that many of the students cheated on the final exams and got caught. The improper testing procedures have now caused a cheating scandal for the 376-year-old institution.

Harvard began the investigation into 125 students including many on Harvard's basketball team. Harvard basketball co-captain Kyle Casey plans to withdraw amid the allegation. The school also implicated Brandyn Curry, the other co-captain of the basketball team.

Harvard President Drew Faust sounded dismayed that the students would cheat on the tests. Faust responded in August when the allegations arose, "'These allegations, if proven, represent totally unacceptable behavior that betrays the trust upon which intellectual inquiry at Harvard depends."

Nearly half of the 280 students taking the final exam for Introduction to Congress may have cheated on the test. Maybe they learned something about cheating from their studies -- that politicians cheat and America generally accepts it.

MSN.FOXSPORTS.COM reports:
Harvard basketball co-captain Kyle Casey plans to withdraw from school amid a cheating scandal that also may involve other athletes, according to several reports.
athletes reports cheating scandal rocks harvard basketball team co-captain investigated

Read More: http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/h...

• Resp 2012/09/13 05:08:53
    Resp
    +4
    Do you honestly think that the basketball team are Harvard scholars?

• Loser lollipop 2012/09/12 20:55:14
    Loser lollipop
    +1
    As a student I like take home tests but as an outsider if an instructor approves of letting its students complete a test outside of the classroom they should anticipate rallying of students to complete it.
  • ComeOnNow 2012/09/12 20:24:55
    ComeOnNow
    +3
    What, did the liberal joke of a University allow teachers unions to come in that are afraid to actually have their students take real tests?
  • seahawk665 2012/09/12 20:21:48
    seahawk665
    +1
    There are plenty of classes at my college that have take-home finals. Typically, these are exams that are much harder than ones I would have taken in class, and were all essay questions that required 5+ page answers. Basically, they were mini-research papers that could be completed using notes, the internet, and textbooks. Also, I'm not saying that Harvard overreacted when they realized that students were working together, but at least they were actually taking the exams themselves and not paying other students to do it for them.
  • KB 2012/09/12 19:47:51
    KB
    +3
    I love how Harvard is supposed to be for and run by intelligent people yet they don't know what the hell they're doing half the time.
  • vamp-gal 2012/09/12 19:32:25
    vamp-gal
    +2
    Mock Exams yes but actual exams? No. If they're OK with the students looking up the answers that would be a different matter but if they wanted to do it under exam conditions then of course they can't take them home. I don't care what school you go to there will always be those who will take advantage of that situation without thinking of possible consequences there will be if they were caught. Students probably had a right laugh when they were told they could take the test at home.
  • Tom 2012/09/12 19:18:29
    Tom
    Sure ,as long as they're done correctly.
    I had some in college.
    They were MUCH HARDER than in-class tests, allowing open book/open notes.
    You took them over the internet and were timed so you couldn't just spend hours looking up what you hadn't already learned.
  • Zepland 2012/09/12 19:16:24
    Zepland
    +2
    Is this a real question. Don't look for the question mark.
  • Daryl 2012/09/12 14:18:05
    Daryl
    +2
    Harvard is a symbol of modern American education.

Thoroughly corrupt rich and powerful people rigging the game to get ahead.
    +3
    Well ...
    seems that perhaps they DID Pay attention to what CONGRESS does actually do
    (Corruption/Cheating/Criminal Activity endemic ... in an organized cabal type of way)

NOW I have this to say ...

In a course such as this ..
    what happened to final exams in the classroom time .. (essays, of course!) .. monitored -- timed .. just make sure that there's also no texting too ..

I do believe there are some courses where Take Home Tests could be used ..
    (for example .. some basic computer programming courses .. like Intro to HTML)

But for the most part .. I've not ever experienced any exam that is "Take Home" at all ..
    (nor one where one could assess the internet at any point in time either)

What's up with this .. at a supposedly pinnacle of 'education'?
    Just have to ask .. since I've worked hard all my life ..
    paid my own way through my degree programs ..
    couldn't even THINK of affording a school like this ..
    yet RIDDLED with Cheating and scandals?
    (ORGANIZED cheating at that?)

(and to think I did a thesis while on Deployment in the Military too .. sheesh!)
  • No
    Jersey Roze ♥Jwon's Cyar'ika ♥
    +4
    Well obviously not if you don't expect anyone to cheat. For an Ivy League school, they sure are stupid...
    +2
    yes, exams are inhuman,I usually gave open book tests..I never taught for tests
  • MOMMA T... Sister ... 2012/09/12 21:32:50
    MOMMA THOMAS
    +1
    I GAVE AN OPEN NOTES FINAL EXAM, ....STUDENTS COULD USE THEIR PAPERS THEY KEPT IN A NOTEBOOK FOR THE SEMESTER. ...NEVER, EVER ENOUGH TIME TO LOCATE ALL THE ANSWERS, ..BUT GAVE THEM OPPORTUNITY TO FIND SOMETHING THEY HAD "FORGOTTEN."
  • Bronar 2012/09/12 00:06:07
    Bronar
    +2
    Seems like it was a poor idea.
  • kevracer 2012/09/12 00:05:58
    kevracer
    +2
    let's be realistic. When your boss gives you an assignment at work, does he banish you to an empty conference room to complete the project? NO

at work, you're expected to research and gather the information you need to complete the assignment, not work off memorization by rote.

the idea is to learn when where and how to gather the information you need to make an informed thoughtful decision - critical thinking
  • Pele Emerging 2012/09/12 00:05:47
    Pele Emerging
    +4
    You tell the kiddies to take home the cookies, but NOT to eat them, but are surprised when they actually do? What a crock!
  • Zervur 2012/09/12 00:03:14
    Zervur
    +3
    no way. how can success be proven?

2014/04/18 05:55:34