Royal Caribbean Cruises Add 'All-You-Can-Drink' Packages: Great Deal or Dangerous Idea?

When we set sail on a sunny cruise, most of us like to kick back, relax and have a few drinks.

A few drinks -- not an unlimited supply.

Royal Caribbean is offering three new one-price, all-you-can-drink cruise packages, USA Today reports. The packages include:

--The Beer and Wine Package, which costs $29 per person per day for all beers, house wine by the glass and a 25 percent discount on all other wines and liquors;

--The Classic Package, which costs $39 per person per day and includes all beers, house wine by the glass, all liquor (except premium and specialty brands), cocktails and a 25 percent discount on all other wines and premium and specialty liquors;

and

--The Premium Package, which costs $49 per person per day and offers all that is included in the Classic Package, plus glasses of wine that normally sell for up to $10, cocktails, premium liquor brands and a 25 percent discount on all bottles of wine, glasses of wine over $10 and specialty liquors.

Americans won't benefit much from the deals (and that may be a good thing). The packages will be available on the U.K.-based Independence of the Seas, Asia-based Legend of the Seas and Panama- and Spain-based Grandeur of the Seas.

But is it really smart to have unlimited access to alcohol for days at a time? There's something about pulling out your wallet to have to pay for a drink that keeps inebriation (and spending) in check.

"Royal Caribbean International has developed these new packages to enable our guests to make their holiday more relaxing and enjoyable by paying one set price for a wide variety of drink choices," the company's top UK executive, Jo Rzymowska, said in a statement.

Do these packages offer customers a great deal? Or are they accidents waiting to happen?

Read More: http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/03/ro...

• This is W³ 2012/02/28 06:41:24
    This is W³
    In and of itself, it's a great deal, but I know too many alcoholics who would abuse this deal, so it can be a dangerous situation.
  • patsaclassylady 2011/06/10 22:53:28
    Great deal
    patsaclassylady
    its about time you can have a drinks pagage , onboard , who wants to be worrying about paying for drinks ect on your holiday when you can drink when you want stresslessssssss,,,if you dont wanna drink then so be it , but its nice to have the choice, also thas one of the reasons that we all picked this cruise ,,as usually go all inclusive to egypt / spain ect ,so whats the difference ????? cant see it myself??? its brill idea , when you cornered on a boat for days ,and you have no choice to buy the drinks . then as prices are a bit steep ,its a nightmare if thers two or more of you ,,,,,,
  • GroundHogger 2011/05/09 18:56:26
    Great deal
    GroundHogger
    This happens all the time at all inclusive resorts with no problems. People are going to get drunk on a cruise either way at least now they can feel like they are getting a deal. Plus they give you so much free food on the cruise you are usually too stuffed to drink that much.
  • HiYa 2011/05/01 18:29:50
    Great deal
    HiYa
    If the ppl. can hold their liquor its a great idea. If not there is nothing worse than being on ship full of drunks that are behaving badly. It could be like floating frat house.
  • mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2011/04/14 16:11:00
    Dangerous idea
    mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    this is one train wreck that can be avoided.
  • Stephaniee 2011/03/27 06:48:43
    Great deal
    Stephaniee
    Cause Its All You Can Drinkk!
  • Willie 2011/03/26 07:21:39
    Dangerous idea
    Willie
    I wouldn't want to be on a cruise where this was an option. I have nothing against people drinking, but I don't drink myself and I don't find drunk people endearing or funny.

Then again, I don't think I'd like to go on a cruise at all. As Dr. Johnson said, "Being in a ship is like being in jail, with a chance of drowning."
  • disclaimer 2011/03/26 06:11:18
    Dangerous idea
    disclaimer
    I'm surprised no one has fallen off the boat and drowned yet, for god's sake!
  • 00B 2011/03/25 14:11:18
    Dangerous idea
    00B
    Already a problem with getting sick and crazy pooh happening like no toilets
    Dangerous idea
    Nah, doesnt interest me.
  • Rage 2011/03/23 22:54:37
    Dangerous idea
    Rage
    This is just a bad idea all around. A bunch of drunks on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean? Yea....I'll let the over active imaginations run wild :)
  • Michael 2011/03/23 16:30:38
    Great deal
    Michael
    This is not a new thing in the cruise industry. A big factor in cruising is alcohol consumption and not having to drive home after wards! People in down town New York understand this, they take taxis!
  • Myrle Hulme 2011/03/23 08:35:06
    Dangerous idea
    Myrle Hulme
    If people could control their dring and subsequent behaviour then it won't be bad but unfortunately
    people can'nt
  • Himself 2011/03/23 06:12:12
    Himself
    I've been to an all-inclusive resort in Mexico and the drinks were free there, too. No big deal. The alcohol was included and I really didn't see any problems. The wait staff had the right to refuse beverages to people who were "wasted" and there really weren't any of those to be seen.
  • evp 2011/03/23 00:08:39
    Dangerous idea
    evp
    Very sad and sick idea. The devastation and pain caused by drunkenness, and the
    hopeless and ruined lives caused by alcoholism far outweigh the "pleasure" caused by a few drinks. If you have never experienced alcoholism firsthand, you might think this is a great deal. However, if you are an alcoholic or live with one, you will be deeply saddened at the idea of an "all-you-can-drink" cruise. These packages encourage binge drinking and drunkenness. This is another example of "the love
    of money being the root of all evil," and cruise ship management should rethink the true "cost" of their money-making venture!
  • mimi 2011/03/22 22:54:41
    Great deal
    mimi
    i love it !!!!!
  • just me 2011/03/22 21:52:33
    just me
    Just because there is a liquor "buffet" doesn't mean you have to drink everything available. Most reasonable people neither eat all the food on the table nor drink all the booze in the bar.
  • Brandon 2011/03/22 20:48:31
    Brandon
    Depends on who the person is.
  • Ameera 2011/03/22 17:37:46
    Ameera
    all u can drink is bad, but if its just the all you can eat... then thats fine :)
  • Michael 2011/03/22 17:36:52
    Dangerous idea
    Michael
    Hopefully Royal Carribean has higher guardrails than most other cruise ships do.
  • Reaper 2011/03/22 15:57:29
    Great deal
    Reaper
    just make high guard rails and have life guards.
  • HAZL_EYZ 2011/03/22 14:34:40
    Dangerous idea
    HAZL_EYZ
    I wouldn't want my children on this sort of cruise.. Definitely not a family vacation. Instead of smelling the fresh sea air, we'd be smelling fresh vomit. Can you imagine the number of alcohol poisoning cases? People falling overboard and drowning? How do they intend on regulating the alcohol that could be easily passed onto an underage drinker? they can keep this idea. No thank you.
  • T 2011/03/22 14:19:20
    Great deal
    T
    +1
    Can't adults make mature decisions about drinking?
  • Miaow T 2011/03/22 16:22:15
    Miaow
    Short answer: No.
    Long answer: Charlie Sheen.
  • just me T 2011/03/22 21:54:50
    just me
    I agree, and any exceptions will drink too much whether it's free or not.
  • teenager 2011/03/22 12:39:23
    Dangerous idea
    teenager
    +2
    Not dangerous for me. I´m a teetotaller, but for most people it´s just a way of drinking more than too much.
  • AssataKnox 2011/03/22 11:18:51
    Dangerous idea
    AssataKnox
    +2
    That's a recipe for catastrophe; even the most level-headed, normally clear-thinking individual could be induced to "kick back and enjoy", so to speak--which could lead to impairments in judgment. I've heard too many horror stories in this regard to think that this could be a good idea.
  • rebar4444 2011/03/22 10:21:13
    Great deal
    rebar4444
    +1
    Great idea. There is a misconception that all you can drink means you will drink more. When on a cruise vacation people will drink how ever much they want to
    Makes zero difference. Just more convenient
  • Dramarama 2011/03/22 05:54:32
    Dangerous idea
    Dramarama
    +2
    It sounds like fun, but all you can drink always has potential to be dangerous regardless of where it's happening.
  • monica 2011/03/22 05:05:19
    Great deal
    monica
    Make sure there is a lot of cleaning supplies on board! PLEASE!!! :D
  • Miaow monica 2011/03/22 16:25:10
    Miaow
    +1
    There will be no shortage of sea water, don't worry
  • Maggy 2011/03/22 04:41:18
    Dangerous idea
    Maggy
    +2
    Cruises are a great way to vacation and relax. However, drinking too much can lead to a persons death, especially on a cruise ship. A few drinks are okay, but some people do not know when to stop and may fall off the ship because they were too drink to know what they were doing.
  • Kelly 2011/03/22 03:00:21
    Kelly
    +2
    Its a mix of both, it could be good for the ones who want to have a good time and have a few drinks, but then we have some who don't know when to say no and could lead to a dangerous accident if not death.
  • Jobs for Americans 2011/03/22 02:47:46
    Dangerous idea
    Jobs for Americans
    +2
    asking for someone to od on alcohol.
  • RobHom 2011/03/22 00:50:49
    Great deal
    RobHom
    Yeeeeeehaaaaa!! Just as long as its not the cheap stuff!!!
  • Curly 2011/03/22 00:35:16
    Great deal
    Curly
    +2
    LET'S GET WASTED
  • HenriLewkowiczhenri 2011/03/22 00:30:16
    Dangerous idea
    HenriLewkowiczhenri
    how would you like a drunk ship????????
  • mcffoster 2011/03/22 00:15:39
    Great deal
    mcffoster
    +1
    As long as you don't fall overboard - what's bad about that type of package?
  • Tyrone Rowland 2011/03/21 23:59:28
    Great deal
    Tyrone Rowland
    If Libya had done anything adverse to America's interest, then maybe? but that's not the case, there's no logical reason to this aggression, Lockabee took place back in the 1980's, so that cant be it, and Gaddafi method's to deal with the protestors, are we so forgetful that we dont remember how our government dealt with ' KENT STATE' and JACKSONVILLE UNIVERSARY, but that was back then, well Lockabee was back then also.
  • Miaow Tyrone ... 2011/03/22 16:27:12
    Miaow
    Hmmm. You SodaHeading from aboard the alcohol ship or what? =.=

2014/11/27 09:36:17