Rotten Office Fridge Sickening: What's your rotten food story?

Roger 2009/05/13 00:00:07
Gross! My rotten, moldy food story is...
Nasty! How does an office unplug a refrigerator, and leave food to rot in there!?
An office worker in San Jose, CA, started cleaning out an old fridge filled with rotten food, making workers in the office sick. Between the mixed smells of the rotten food and the chemicals used to clean, it sent some of his co-workers to the hospital, and 28 had to be treated for vomiting and nausea. Firefighters were called to evacuate the building and a hazmat team was called in. The unplugged refrigerator was sitting with moldy food... a definite health hazard.

• gillahooley 2009/05/28 02:42:05
    gillahooley
    its either the week old lasagna that me n my cousin ate after it sat out for a few hours, or the funky fudge pops that we named shit on a stick
  • jessica gillaho... 2012/12/16 22:38:18
    jessica
    +8
    eeeewwww so gross
  • jellyfish 2009/05/25 03:08:50
    Nasty! How does an office unplug a refrigerator, and leave food to rot in the...
    jellyfish
    Thankfully our work cleans the fridges out every so often.
  • Carol 2009/05/23 18:12:49
    Carol
    In our office that has happen more often than not.

But the big thing we had in our office wasn't so much what is spoken about this form it was people would steal other people's food all of the time. Or you could tell when someone would open your food and look inside to see what you had.
  • Seree 2009/05/20 16:47:40
    Seree
    I had a freezer in the garage which I used to store lots of meat and other frozen goods for my large family. My younger boy was playing and accidentally unplugged the unit while pulling his bike from against the wall. We didn't know for about a week it had been disconnected from the power and when we opened it everything was rotten. This was high summer in Northern Cali and so things spoiled fast. It was so bad I had to keep the garage open for several weeks, and lock the connecting door to the house. Additionally, some clothing items stored temporarily awaiting delivery to Good Will had to be tossed because the smell had pemenated the clothing so badly it would take far too much to get it out, plus I would not bring it into the house to wash in my machines and didn't want to offend those using local laundromats. I will never forget that horrific smell, or the loss of all the money spent on the food.
  • Just MEH....Piwan 2009/05/20 13:16:27
    Just MEH....Piwan
    I have to clean the planrt refrigerator every week...all kinds of wonderful surprises in there!
  • Sarah 2 2009/05/19 15:29:30
    Sarah 2
    My good friend is no housekeeper. Her parents visited once a year and always ended up cleaning her house. One time they opened the broiler, and it was teaming with maggots!
  • Matt 2009/05/19 12:34:17
    Matt
    Anybody who has ever shared a break room with a large group of people has experienced people who do not clean up after themselves. Exploded food in the microwave. Drank the last cup of coffee without making a new pot. Spilled a glass of milk in the fridge. (a real treat) Or left food in a locked cabinet, accessible only to mice.
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2009/05/19 04:44:36
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    Today, I picked up these old, rotten bananas that were on my kitchen table so I could go throw them in my compost pile, and while I was carrying them, one fell off and I stepped on it and slipped and fell on my ass.

They smelled like vinegar...
  • deadhead509 2009/05/19 04:31:20
  • MadCitySioux 2009/05/19 03:58:42
    MadCitySioux
    but they do - If I want to bring a lunch to work that needs to be kept in the fridge my lunch has to share that fridge with ringworm cultures, fecal samples, meal worms, and left overs from God only knows when. Needless to say, I don't bring a lunch or use the fridge for even a bottle of soda.
  • Seree MadCity... 2009/05/20 16:50:16
    Seree
    My husband and I use thermal lunch boxes with portable frozen ice packs. It works great and saves us a lot of money on eating out at lunch. We pick ours up at Wal-mart or Target for less than twenty bucks.
  • bigguy 2009/05/19 02:55:17
    bigguy
    we had a storm where i used to live that knot out ower electric and it was the middle of summer for about and we lost about 300 dollars of meat.no only the meat was lost we could not use the freezer ever again.
  • <--That guy 2009/05/19 02:40:26
    <--That guy
    Ugh!
    i actually never had that kinda food. I made it a rule to never open the contraption. ever. I've been really csick before, but not from this. Mine was an expensive place that ruined a really delicious date I was about to drag off to the bushes at her house.
  • 618346 aka...lonenoncom 2009/05/19 02:19:51
    618346 aka...lonenoncom
    +1
    Actually my story is about the company mooch!

When I was young and struggling business owner, I carried my lunch almost daily. Occassionally some sale represenative would take me to lunch, so that days lunch would stay in the frig for a day or two, but sometimes disappeared!

Well, slowly but surely people started to compain about parts of their lunch disappearing. After, a while it became a total distraction.

So I took action. I made one of my chocolate glazed tenderloin roast and left in the lunchroom for several days. After it disappeared, I mentioned in our news letter that I had mistakenly used bulk EX-LAX instead of dark chocolate, and luckily none of my family had eaten any. Seems the mooch got the hint...or maybe just the shits, anyway it stopped the lunchroom bandit.
  • AileaBr... 618346 ... 2009/09/21 19:28:14
    AileaBrightside
    This story gave me hope. That was somewhat genius. ! Good job !
  • cincin88 2009/05/19 01:39:11
    cincin88
    Who does that?? Hope the "office" paid for all med bills!
  • HeliAce 2009/05/19 01:27:35
    HeliAce
    Is in my minifridge in my room. There are things sitting in there since 2007.
  • ladypuppylove 2009/05/19 01:22:09
    ladypuppylove
    I found some onion in the vegetables box had to throw them away
  • Kane Fernau 2009/05/13 15:24:23
    Kane Fernau
    +1
    Food is perishable.
  • jspooner7 2009/05/13 03:08:53
    jspooner7
    +1
    I've dealt with this in apartment rentals. Easy solution. Tape doors shut and dispose of refrigerator. A decent used one can be found for as little as $100.
  • captkirk999 2009/05/13 01:10:51
    captkirk999
    +1
    I left bannas in the house for too long and they were attracting flies. Just recently I had to get rid of a piece of meat that was in the fridge for one day too late
  • aquila0989 2009/05/13 00:20:40
    aquila0989
    +1
    once i went out to eat, and before i bit into my toast, i noticed it was spotted with mold. i called over the waitress and told her my toast was too "seasoned" and to please bring another. she noticed right away and apologized. the good part was they felt bad i got free cheesecake :)

2014/10/21 01:12:40