RIP, ‘Mr.Oreo’: Man Who Invented Oreo Filling Dies At 76

☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2012/05/25 03:02:05
Food scientist Sam J. Porcello held five patents relating to the iconic cookie; he worked at Nabisco for 34 years.

RIP   u2018Mr Oreo u2019  Man Who Invented Oreo Filling Dies At 76

Heaven just got a little more stuf. Sam J. Porcello, the food scientist credited with inventing the Oreo cookie’s creamy, pasty, stick-together filling, died last week at age 76. He had been employed at Nabisco for 34 years and through his work made life a little sweeter for everyone.

Porcello’s official designation at Nabisco, the parent company of Oreo, was “principal scientist” — a far cry from the Willy Wonka vision that comes to mind when you discover the man was also known by the much more delicious sounding moniker of Mr. Oreo. Porcello was one of the world’s foremost experts on cocoa, the raw material of chocolate, and the go-to guy for all Oreo related matters at Nabisco. “My father was proud of what he did,” says Curtis Porcello, one of his two sons told the New York Daily News. “He’d come home and tell us all what he was working on.” During his tenure at Nabisco, Porcello created not only the “stuf” in the Double Stuf Oreos, but he also developed the chocolate-covered and the white chocolate-covered Oreo. In fact, Porcello held five patents relating to Oreos. We can only hope that they are all printed on chocolate and written in vanilla icing.

While the classic Oreo just turned 100 years old, the cookie has spawned an entire family tree of Oreo products that are a far cry from the traditional chocolate cookie sandwich with vanilla filling. There’s the creme filled Oreo brownie bar, a seasonal red creme filled cookie, Oreo snack cakes, Oreo pie crust, and, of course, the Big Stuf Oreo, which was discontinued in 1991, that packed 316 calories into one cookie.

Over 450 billion Oreos have been sold worldwide since they hit the market in 1912, so you would think the cookies practically market themselves. However the company has embarked on several notable ad campaigns, including one featuring a breastfeeding baby holding an Oreo, that went viral despite the fact that it was never intended to be seen in public. Other ads recruited sports icons, including Shaquille O’Neal, Eli Manning, Venus Williams, and Apolo Ohno for Team DSRL (Double Stuf Racing League) to compete in head-to-head “lick races” to see who could twist an Oreo open, lick off the filling, dunk it in milk and then eat the cookie and drink the milk the fastest. The campaign was inspired by the fact that eating Oreos has always been a fun individual sport. However you eat an Oreo, be it by dunking, biting, or twisting and licking, none of this would have been possible without the contributions of Mr. Porcello.

Let’s all pour a little milk out and raise a cookie. Rest in peace, Mr. Oreo.

Read More: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/05/24/farewell-mr-or...

• P. Sturm 2012/07/04 04:51:37
    P. Sturm
    A real tear-jerker. At his funeral, they placed his body between two ebony slabs and interred the whole thing. They lowered it in the grave, poured milk on it, and filled it in. You sort have got this little catch in your throat watching.
  • aprlove 2012/06/07 23:10:44
    aprlove
    RIP thanks for the cookies
  • CASSIE 2012/06/02 14:18:03
    CASSIE
    May he rest in piece. Boy I love oreo cookies, he did his work. He will truely.be missed. All loves out to his family and friends
  • wcpjams 2012/05/28 22:18:47
    wcpjams
    Well may he "Rest in Peace" I never knew his name or anything about him, but I sure love the hell out of his cookies. Especially Double Stuffs.

Double Stuffs and Little Debbies Oatmeal Pies are the only two things I can think of that I absolutely can't resist if they are anywhere near me. Oreo Double Stuffs Little Debbies Oatmeal Cream Pies
  • Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum 2012/05/26 00:03:06
    Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum
    I'm confused. The oreo has been around 100 years, but the inventor of the filling just died last week at 76? Can someone help me? Did he improve the filling? Did the original Oreo not have any filling? I expect better reporting from Time magazine.

With that said, I love Oreos. Rest in peace, Mr. Porcello.

oreo
  • Werkea 2012/05/25 21:36:05
    Werkea
    i liked OREO in the past
  • LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH 2012/05/25 19:02:21
    LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH
    REST IN PEACE, Mr Oreo! HOPE YOU'LL BE HAPPY to SEE YOUR OREO
    for ALL OCCASIONS!

for ALL OCCASIONS!
    OREO COOKIES WREATHS FOR MR OREO s PASSING FUNERAL OREO COOKIES WREATHS FOR MR OREO s
    OREO COOKIES WREATHS FOR ALL OCCASIONS OREO COOKIES WREATHS FOR ALL OCCASIONS OREO COOKIES WREATHS FOR ALL OCCASIONS OREO COOKIES WREATHS FOR ALL OCCASIONS OREO COOKIES WREATHS FOR ALL OCCASIONS OREO COOKIES WREATHS FOR ALL OCCASIONS
  • MJ 2012/05/25 16:04:53
    MJ
    Raising a cookie! Rest in Peace Sam J Porcello!!
  • AmericanVirus 2012/05/25 16:01:18
    AmericanVirus
    These things happen
  • LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH 2012/05/25 15:59:49
    LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH
    REST IN SWEETEST PEACE Mr OREO--SAM J. PORCELLO! http://assets.nydailynews.com... YOUNG SCIENTIST INVENTOR OF OREO COOKIES YOUNG SCIENTIST INVENTOR OF OREO COOKIES
  • LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH 2012/05/25 15:39:16
    LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH
    REST IN PEACE, MR. OREO! THANKS to YOUR SWEET CONTRIBUTIONS! FUNERALFLOWER FOR Mr OREO COOKIES FUNERALFLOWER FOR Mr OREO COOKIES FUNERALFLOWER FOR Mr OREO COOKIES FUNERAL SAM REST IN PEACE Mr OREO COOKIES
  • ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own 2012/05/25 15:28:59
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +1
    I like the cookie part best. The icing is greasy and too sweet.

RIP, Oreo icing dude.
  • LADY LI... ♚Littlɘ... 2012/05/25 16:33:33
    LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH
    +1
    I EAT ONLY the cookie parts, the CREAM's TOO SWEET, I CAN'T EVER

EAT IT. I MISSED the CRUCIAL PART don't I????? it's OK!!!!
  • ♚Littlɘ... LADY LI... 2012/05/25 16:35:27
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +1
    It is okay. lol
  • LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH 2012/05/25 15:28:11
    LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH
    REST IN PEACE, MR. OREO! THANKS to YOUR SWEET CONTRIBUTIONS!
  • HarleyCharley 2012/05/25 12:40:39
    HarleyCharley
    tragic, I love those oreos....
  • Buzzymuzzwelle 2012/05/25 12:40:34
    Buzzymuzzwelle
    God Bless to a great American capitalist. Buzzy
  • **Bessie** 2012/05/25 12:00:23
    **Bessie**
    http://i.bnet.com/blogs/rest-...

I do love that middle! Thank you Mr. Oreo!
  • Aksana 2012/05/25 11:46:15
  • clasact 2012/05/25 09:47:34
    clasact
    that to bad .but we all go sometime
  • bansheebanski 2012/05/25 06:19:57
    bansheebanski
    another great man has left us possibly even the greatest........oreos are my favorite cookie snack of all time
  • thecutesttentacle 2012/05/25 04:27:18
    thecutesttentacle
    aww :c
  • missfit 2012/05/25 03:28:42
    missfit
    My favorite cookie. RIP Mr. Porcello. You have made many of my days happier.
  • Peewee ~PWCM~JLA 2012/05/25 03:21:51
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    RIP, Sam J. Porcello. Your cookie creme always gets eaten first.
  • Pat 2012/05/25 03:19:55
    That was my and my Dad's favorite cookie. Nothing like dipping an Oreo in a cold glass of milk until it was just a little soft and then letting it melt in your mouth. RIP Mr. Oreo.
  • stevmackey 2012/05/25 03:19:21
    stevmackey
    Did he ever eat the cookie part?
  • LADY LI... stevmackey 2012/05/25 16:14:21 (edited)
    LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH

• Shawna 2012/05/25 03:15:32
    Shawna
    I do love Oreos. I love the golden ones best I think, but then the chocolate ones are so good. They seem to have discontinued the chocolate filled ones and that's too bad. I never break my Oreos apart, nor do I dunk them.
  • John Hall 2012/05/25 03:05:40
    John Hall
    #1 RIP Mr Oreo and if this ain't some crazy sh#t I'm eating Oreo cookies right now .
  • LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH 2012/05/25 03:04:46
    LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH
    REST IN PEACE, MR. OREO! THANKS!

2014/07/24 19:19:20