R.I.P Common Sense

wpsark 2012/04/16 21:12:09

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.
He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

- Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
- Why the early bird gets the worm;
- Life isn't always fair; and
- Maybe it was my fault..

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge). His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife, Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers:
I Know My Rights
I Want It Now
Someone Else Is To Blame
I'm A Victim
Not many attended his funeral because
so few realized he was gone..
If you still remember him, pass this on.
If not, join the majority and do nothing

• sockpuppet 2012/04/16 21:53:50
    I never knew the guy to miss him much
    sockpuppet
    +4
    I was born in '61... pretty much the time when the Liberals took over. From what I"ve read of American history, this (and all subsequent) was truly the "me" generation. Nobody seems to be part of something larger than themselves, anymore. Racial racists, maybe... but the rest of us are selfish litle islands of WANT.

• jman1248 2012/07/13 19:32:05 (edited)
    I remember the world when common sense was around
    jman1248
    +1
    R.I.P. Humanity, His older brother who died long before him.May his soul mate,goodwill survive his illness,which is almost certainly terminal.May God protect thier chilldren, faith,faithful love,unconditional love,purity, protagonistic intelligence ,and fairness,who are currently arguing with spite and idiocy ,and thier children, malice,hate,impurity,faux love,betrayel,and envy.
  • hari 2012/04/17 13:37:53
    hari
    +2
    common sense is not common
  • BritPunk hari 2012/04/25 21:41:08
    BritPunk
    +2
    Exactly. And the idea that there was a golden age when it existed is just old farts looking through rosy spectacles.
  • wpsark BritPunk 2012/04/25 21:48:06
    wpsark
    ha, you have a good point there.
  • POWERSHAKER 2012/04/17 07:13:42
  • wpsark POWERSH... 2012/04/17 21:42:13
    wpsark
    +2
    Common Sense should be a reading requirement for all high school students
  • POWERSH... wpsark 2012/04/18 03:15:51
  • TheTruth1313 2012/04/17 07:01:29
    TheTruth1313
    +1
    Sadly, political correctness, lack of a sense of humor, lack of intelligence, lack of imagination and so many others have come in to kill the poor guy.
  • Classical Liberal 2012/04/17 03:55:36
    I never knew the guy to miss him much
    Classical Liberal
    +1
    but then, I'm young, and he was already pretty much dead from what I understand...
  • Striker 2012/04/17 03:08:37 (edited)
    Striker
    +1
    We are Ruled by Uncommon Nonsense, which has become the noise of Majority.

Since we are somehow obliged to accept that, our only option is to negate the Rulers.
  • MR. 2012/04/17 03:07:26
    MR.
    +1
    The shortest distance between two lines is a straight point. *(Common Sense 101)
    +1
    About 50% never get it.
  • Jack Sprat 2012/04/17 01:06:32 (edited)
    Jack Sprat
    +1
    Wasn't that long ago, seemed to "sunset" when more people thought a piece of paper on the wall was the sure sign of intelligence and when morons thought the ambiguous state knew how to run your business, raise your kids and fix your supper better than you .
  • LukeC 2012/04/17 00:17:39
    LukeC
    +2
    Yeah, American legal system is pretty ugly.
  • ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪ 2012/04/16 22:57:38
    ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪
    +2
    trust me, it died a LONG time ago.
  • sockpuppet 2012/04/16 21:53:50
    I never knew the guy to miss him much
    sockpuppet
    +4
  • Red_Horse sockpuppet 2012/04/16 22:23:46
  • H H sockpuppet 2012/04/16 22:39:38
    H H
    +1
    A better term for "racial racists" is "race realists." America was around 90% white in '61 but only around 5/8 white now. That kind of demographic shift means a loss of identity for most Americans, which explains more social isolationism and the lack of being a part of something larger.
  • sockpuppet H H 2012/04/16 22:50:41
    sockpuppet
    That's an excellent point... I think that's about right. I can see why people might actually *want* to die when they've been around for a few generations.
  • wpsark sockpuppet 2012/04/17 21:44:36
    wpsark
    +1
    want for free
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2012/04/16 21:36:48 (edited)
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
  • Red_Horse ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/04/16 22:24:33
  • BloodMist 2012/04/16 21:32:37
    BloodMist
    +2
    It's slow death began when they started removing mind expanding standards such as music and art from schools
  • gone i guess 2012/04/16 21:29:04
    I never knew the guy to miss him much
    gone i guess
  • Oaces_boss_yo® 2012/04/16 21:27:59

2014/09/22 20:19:18