Rihanna Defends Teen Suspended for Dyeing Her Hair Red: Rock on, RiRi or Butt Out?

SodaHead Living 2012/05/10 18:00:00
A 15-year-old girl who was suspended from school a week for dyeing her hair "Rihanna red" amazingly got a little support from the singer herself. "U are my hero Terry Bancroft!!!!! The color of your hair doesn’t change who u are, you are an A- grade student #1love," Rihanna tweeted.

girl red hair

rihanna

Apparently, by the time RiRi sent her tweet on May 4, Terri (of north Wales) had already dyed her hair back to brown, after being told she would not be allowed back to the classroom until she returned to a more natural color, The Daily Mail reports.

While the A student was worried about her grades, she never expected to get support from one of the world's biggest pop stars. "Terri has been a little bit shocked and a little bit embarrassed. She found out from a phone call minutes after the tweet went up. She is a fan but she didn’t do it to copy her, it's amazing that she found out about it and tweeted about it," her mother Anne-Marie said, according to the Mail.

"The school put her in consequences because of her hair. It’s the room where they put naughty kids. She wasn’t allowed out on breaks, she had to be escorted to the dining room and was segregated from her friends." Do you think Rihanna did the right thing butting in? Or should Terri follow school rules?

• Yaati 2012/05/10 17:43:17
    Rock on, RiRi
    Yaati
    +19
    I never got the whole freak-out about dying your hair 'unnatural' colours. It's a big deal at the school (I used to) go to as well. The excuse was always "it will distract other students!" Trust me. If I was sitting in the classroom looking at the back of some head that looked even as colourful as this:
    rainbow hair tumblr
    Yea, I'm sure it would amuse me for a class period or two, but then I'd get over it. Okay, so that's how they style their hair, what's the big deal? And if enough students were walking around with hair that way, no one would care and it's whatever.
    eye roll gif

• katie.bromwich.31 2013/06/05 20:39:56
    Rock on, RiRi
    katie.bromwich.31
    The school needs to realize that they just ruin her education to get her to dye her hair back! It sickens me...
  • elise katie.b... 2013/06/09 22:18:00
  • Amber 2013/03/29 18:47:18
    Butt out
    Amber
    If we let pop stars run our schools, we are doomed. I thought the dress code in high school was idiotic, but I followed it. They announced it at the beginning of the school year, and we knew that breaking it would mean disciplinary measures. Even if the rules are dumb, breaking them is an act of defiance. Get over it and abide by them.
  • elise Amber 2013/06/09 22:18:49
    elise
    +2
    your just a brat who probably can't even pull of colored hair
  • Amber elise 2013/06/10 23:58:12 (edited)
    Amber
    You mean like, hm...black and bright red?

Or orange?

Or black, blonde, and purple?

It was blue once upon a time too, but that was too long ago for me to find pictures of. Grow up, learn a bit of grammar, and try again next time.
  • Shifting Piece 2013/03/29 17:22:36
    Butt out
    Shifting Piece
    I think it's insane that she was suspended over the hair coloring business, but Rihanna is just obnoxious.
    I think she's looking at trying to grasp another 15 mins of fame since she's rapidly burning through hers.
  • MissLeviathan 2013/03/29 16:34:46
    Rock on, RiRi
    MissLeviathan
    Stupid freaking rule.
  • Th8nos 2013/03/29 15:50:45
    Butt out
    Th8nos
    If the school policy says no dyed hair, then no dyed hair...unless Rihanna would like to open a school of her own where there are no rules or policies, go with it
  • elise Th8nos 2013/06/09 22:20:15
    elise
    +2
    ur just a stupid brat
  • ladyvoldemort 2013/03/29 14:32:54
    Rock on, RiRi
    ladyvoldemort
    It's her hair, her choice.
  • Neesha 2012/06/06 18:45:49
    Rock on, RiRi
    Neesha
    the lil girl knew what is was its on her not rihanna..
  • Chelsea 2012/06/06 00:54:26
    Rock on, RiRi
    Chelsea
    what the hell? i dont see the harm in this at all? kids are dying their hair green, blue, and purple...red is normal...
  • PsychoxAngel 2012/05/27 22:00:44
    Rock on, RiRi
    PsychoxAngel
    \m/
  • Nakia Douglas 2012/05/14 22:02:08
    Rock on, RiRi
    Nakia Douglas
    +1
    That is the dumbest thing I ever heard of anything like that being suspended for dyeing your hair its her hair
  • Dydy 2012/05/14 18:42:04
    Rock on, RiRi
    Dydy
    +1
    Come on its just hair color! -.- why r they treating her like a scary Criminal? Yah maybe she should have listened to the schools rules but the school is def overreacting >=p and Rihanna is really nice to show her support but it's not like she can actually do anything about it :/
  • TC1116 2012/05/14 17:05:13
    Butt out
    TC1116
    +1
    Although I personally don't see anything wrong with the girl coloring her hair...it may be "Rhianna Red"...but, guess what? Rules of the school are against it. Not for this one girl, by herself, but for everyone. She got suspended because she knew the rule...and broke it because she didn't think she had to follow the rule. Whether you agree with the school policy or not, doesn't matter. Whether you think that a little hair coloring is a big deal or not, doesn't really matter. Now, ok, suspension from what we are hearing of the offense...is probably a bit excessive. But, we don't know that the girl hadn't pulled this multiple times, how many warnings she may have been given, or really anything. Rihanna didn't need to say anything at all about it.
  • goodbye lullaby ღ 2012/05/13 03:37:26
    Rock on, RiRi
    goodbye lullaby ღ
    I wouldn't be able to go to that school at all, my hair's like three different colors. :P
  • Mikayla Morgan 2012/05/13 03:07:45
    Rock on, RiRi
    Mikayla Morgan
    why should a kid get suspended in thr first place for dying her hair? i kno someone with blue hair so... (and shes 13)
  • Dweezle 2012/05/12 08:55:44
    Rock on, RiRi
    Dweezle
    +2
    a persons appearance is part of his/her personality, her/his means of self expression.
    censorship!
  • jaydenvdv 2012/05/12 02:21:30
    Rock on, RiRi
    jaydenvdv
    +1
    Schools are getting things so bass ackwards its not even funny, they are worried about hair color, but can't seem to find the money to have enough teachers or keep arts in the school.
  • sherie 2012/05/12 01:43:16
    Butt out
    sherie
    +1
    Cant imagine with RiRi's rep, that there is much good she could bring to the situation
  • Neesha sherie 2012/06/06 18:47:58
    Neesha
    its on the girl not rihanna.. the lil girl know the school rules.. rihanna cant bring nothing to the situation cause it isnt her fault.
  • Beat Magnum True Hero 2012/05/11 23:55:56
    Rock on, RiRi
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +2
    Oh goodness, she dyed her hair and expressed herself! If that's the "worst" your teen is doing, consider yourself fortunate. I know that self-expression is feared by the American worker-bee school system. The world is operated by all types of people.

As for the boring, unproven, and completely wrong talking point that unnatural colors are "distracting." Really? Your kid is that freaking ADHD that off color hair will send them to the bottom of the class? If hair color messes you up in school, you've got deeper issues that no pill can cure.
  • sherie Beat Ma... 2012/05/12 02:04:07
    sherie
    +3
    My son was always changing his hair(and refusing to wear shoes.....he got away with bare feet a whole semester.Then he made a pair of flip flops out of duct tape and kept them rolled up in his pocket for times he was confronted) his hair changed from purple to a sort of lavender platinum (chlorine ....water polo player). He spiked it,buzzed it,grew it and twisted it into dredlocks(I helped with that process) Then he grew it long and silky like Fabio! It's just hair.He was a good kid,good student and someone everyone liked and admired.He was not a distraction.Self expression,when it doesn't harm anyone shouldn't be quashed! Individuality should be celebrated.
  • Autumn 2012/05/11 20:50:00
    Rock on, RiRi
    Autumn
    What the muffins?! Suspended for dying her hair red? Why are we voting on whether or not Rihanna should have made that tweet when there is a psychotic school in our midst? Someone needs to get that school in check!
  • MYSTIC MYSTIQUE 2012/05/11 20:38:42
    Rock on, RiRi
    MYSTIC MYSTIQUE
    +1
    expression is never to be punished......
  • JessOulacha 2012/05/11 20:13:08
    Rock on, RiRi
    JessOulacha
    +1
    I think everyone has a right to self expression it's what makes us individuals and free people.
  • Freeranger 2012/05/11 19:31:18 (edited)
    Butt out
    Freeranger
    +1
    Butt out darlin' Rihanna s butt

or make her a backup singer
  • Neesha Freeranger 2012/06/06 18:49:50
    Neesha
    HATER
    HATER
  • Freeranger Neesha 2012/06/06 19:17:58
  • Justine 2012/05/11 19:18:53
    Rock on, RiRi
    Justine
    +1
    Hair color is not distracting. Schools can not control everything about you -.-
  • Momma244 2012/05/11 18:53:07
    Rock on, RiRi
    Momma244
    +1
    what happened to parents saying what their children can and can not do these schools want to rule the kids in EVERYTHING!!!! here in my city they have liaison offers that the city PAYS AND gives a house 2 live in and come to the school to teach the kids 2 just say no 2 drugs ,stranger danger and ALL the stuff that i guess us HEATHEN mommas dont teach our youngens but im a step ahead of them i taught my boys these things from the get go and im a southerner in a northern world my boys dont spit and they say yes and no mam and sir and ALWAYS knew the code word if someone offered them a ride and say no 2 peer pressure and ALWAYS can/could talk 2 momma 'bout ANYTHING and everything were a 5 person household w 4 DIFFERENT religions so they have always been able 2 think 4 themselves if i was her momma she would have STAYED in "time out" 'till she was ready 2 come out no other person would have peer pressured her 2 do what she wasnt ready 2 do!!!!
  • IceSilverCrystal84 2012/05/11 18:24:39
    Rock on, RiRi
    IceSilverCrystal84
    Wow, schools have gotten really odd since I went to them. Expelled for dying her hair? That is the stupidest thing ever... I dyed my hair in high school and I was never expelled or anything. I went blonde in high school and I did black hair as well. I was never expelled for it. Schools have gotten worse since my years.
  • Luxxie 2012/05/11 17:41:28
    Rock on, RiRi
    Luxxie
    +1
    It's her hair, she does whatever she wants with it. Does she go to a fascist school or something ?! I love Rihanna, she's the kinda role model a kid in 2012 needs.
  • ~boo~ 2012/05/11 17:32:29 (edited)
    Rock on, RiRi
    ~boo~
    +2
    schools are getting so much more dumber about these things i mean yeah if i saw somebody with like neon pink hair or hair like this V

scene hair i would think its beautiful and that they are expressing them self i might stare at it, but soon after i would get over it , its just hair . we should be able to express ourselfs with it if we want . and school needs to get over that .

we are big kids we fail a class because we were looking at somebodys hair , then thats our problem no body else . learn to pay attion to the things that imporant.. all i have to say.
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2012/05/11 17:20:17
    Rock on, RiRi
    MOMMA THOMAS
    +1
    OMG! ....THOUGHT WHAT GOES INTO THE BRAIN WAS MORE IMPORTANT THAN RED, GREEN, BLUE, OR PURPLE HAIR! ....GREAT GRANDMA
  • Maleficent 2012/05/11 17:18:03
    Butt out
    Maleficent
    +1
    well i meant to click the other choice atleast Rhianna is not mad at her or anything. but I am not taking anything against neither two of them.
  • Diddley Squat 2012/05/11 16:10:06
    Rock on, RiRi
    Diddley Squat
    +2
    How is the school negatively impacted by red hair dye? The suspension is completely and totally ridiculous.
  • Lucy Sparkles :3 2012/05/11 16:08:49
    Rock on, RiRi
    Lucy Sparkles :3
    +1
    it's not fair that we aren't allowed to have the color of hair that we want. if our parents don't care, why should the teachers? my school is the same way and it'a absolutely ridiculous. the color of your hair doesn't prohibit your way of learning. you still learn the same way as you would with any "natural" color. just like piercings. piercings don't keep you from learning either but we still aren't allowed to have them. it's unfair. i understand that it's the rules but i don't understand why they're there if theres nothing wrong with having them.
  • ImageBandit ~ American Patriot 2012/05/11 15:46:14 (edited)
    Rock on, RiRi
    ImageBandit ~ American Patriot
    +1
    red hair is cool and it is her hair - and riri can speak up, it is a free country lets keep it that way

2014/04/21 04:41:42