Remote Control Devices Will Shut Off Your Engine If Your Car Payment is Late: Fair or unfair?

Dangerous Dave 2009/04/20 16:46:36
Late car payment can happen, shut off devices are unfair.
Shut off devices are fair. Pay up or don't drive.
Car loans companies are really getting mad at those who don't make their payments. As credit gets squeezed, lenders look to ways to make borrowers pay. A new device technology has already been introduced, a shut off device attached to the engine that works with a remote control. This means if you are several days late from making your car payment, they will shut down your car remotely and will reactivate it until you make a payment. For safety reasons, Shut-off devices give audio and flashing light warnings before the vehicle's power is cut. What do you think?

• wolfshadow 2009/04/20 20:58:23
    wolfshadow
    +5
    Take it late or take the chance you don't get it at all.

Me thinks that there is a way to disconnect the 'remote' shut off device.

Kind of stupid though. If a person is late and you take away their abiity to get to work...HOW does this help?

Kind of like denying licenses to be professionals in states where you default on a student loan... can't pay on time now, sure, take away the job...that will get it paid.

• Mark Leach 2014/10/23 19:56:29
  • Bill Cruice 2013/08/16 13:59:44
  • Josh Maher 2013/01/11 02:28:36
    Josh Maher
    I see both sides and I have seen devices like this shut off in the middle of traffic causing major accidents. I look at it from the point of view of life. Your risking the consumers life with these devices. What if it was your child in the car when the car shuts off middle of the highway going 75 miles an hour and your child looses there life. I pay my bills no matter if they are late or not. I rather see these devices removed from cars because of the children..
  • Bill Cr... Josh Maher 2013/08/16 14:12:16
    Bill Cruice
    +3
    Bear in mind the auto industry told Congress that installing airbags would cause fatalities, and refused to do it. SO: Congress made airbags mandatory.
    People died.
    The AUTO INDUSTRY was held responsible.

SAME THING will happen here.
  • Alaina 2011/07/22 15:39:43
    Alaina
    I have one of these devices on my car. I had to buy a car during my divorce so my credit was less than fantastic. Now I could buy a car anywhere, but at the time, I had to do what I had to do. Not only is my payment outrageous ($343 a month for 4 years for a 2004 Taurus, bought in 2008, lease to own so no early payoff), but the company makes a lot of mistakes. For example, THIS MORNING I went out to start my car and it didn't start. I called them to inquire about why. They said they hadn't recieved my payment. I sent it one week ago today, and the payment was due YESTERDAY. So less than 24 hours late and my car is off. She said they only check their PO box mail every other day or so, so I'd have to wait until someone went down there to see if they'd gotten it yet. What!??! I have an hour commute to work. So I was forced to make my payment using my debit card (for an additional $10 fee), and asked them to please shred the check. I also put in a cancellation of the check through my bank (for another fee). Thank goodness I had intended to leave my house early to run a few errands or I would have been seriously late and the store I manage wouldn't have opened on time.
    I have had other problems with them before, once actually turning my car off before my payment was due. I have ne...
    I have had other problems with them before, once actually turning my car off before my payment was due. I have never been late (at least not sending a payment, but they apparently don't look for their money in the mailbox), but this has happened 3 times. The device does not shut the car off while in motion, that is a legal issue. It can only turn off while the car is in park. You can disable the device, but will then be subjected to a hefty fine by the lender company, as they recieve an alert as soon as the box loses power. I didn't think it was going to be such a hassle, as I make my payments, but human error and overuse of the device are troublesome. It's bad enough I'm paying $16,000 for a car worth $5,000, and I've already paid $12,000 of it. Seriously, after less than 24 hours late? By your error? I don't think so.
  • Maximus 2010/03/31 22:37:40
    Maximus
    +2
    I like it. Its your responsibility to pay for the vehicle you drive. Besides, I'm sure lenders will give you some time to pay back after the warning is sent to you. Its fair, its like adding discipline. You people brought this up by not paying your payments early.
  • deanna Maximus 2010/12/31 07:34:46
    deanna
    +3
    I paid my car payment on time. My problem is that my husband and I were going thur a divorce and the effort it took to crank my car almost got me beaten to death. You have to turn the key over and wait for the beep then crank the car. Getting off work at 6 in the morning running for your life it was one of the hardest things I've ever tried to do. After many blows to the face I made a run for it. They should be banned
  • Maximus deanna 2010/12/31 19:44:24
    Maximus
    If you pay your car payment on time then you have no problem about your car being remotely shut off. Man, you must be going through a rough divorce, but unfortunately that does not have anything to do with the topic. You clearly stated that you paid your car payment on time So nothing to worry about there. WTF! "Beaten to death", and "many blows to the face"? He's hitting you?!
  • deanna Maximus 2011/02/11 12:09:30
    deanna
    I did state that I paid my car payment on time. However what my divorce and blows to the face and thid device have in common is when you crank your car you have to wait for a beep then turrn the engine over. While trying to get away from my husband I kept having 5to wait for this beep! So while he's beating the crap out of me I couldn't get my car started is my POINT! Once again they should be banned!
  • Bill Cr... deanna 2013/08/16 14:15:51
    Bill Cruice
    So should Maximus Idioticus, but no luck yet on banning stupidity in human herd animals. :-P
  • keena.l... Maximus 2012/11/17 03:41:52
    keena.lawrence1
    +3
    It sounds like a great idea if you have never had to expieriance it. Like many others have said, human error makes this a nightmare. It isn't put on because you make your payments late, the auto credit place I have my loan through places them on all cars that they finance. Regardless of credit. Mine has been shut of 4 times due to mistakes on their end. One causing me to be late for work and once causing me to be extremely late picking my son up from daycare, which ended up costing me a ton of extra money. That definitely is not acceptable.
  • Bill Cr... Maximus 2013/08/16 14:14:16
    Bill Cruice
    +2
    WHAT warning?

And if enforced from outside, it's not "dicipline." It's threat of violence. IE, raw naked force.
  • Jimmy the greek 2009/09/10 22:24:39
    Jimmy the greek
    +4
    I buy cars i can pay cash for However i think the lenders well be getting back a lot of trashed cars . Because if i was driving down the road and the bank shut me down on the way some were i would take a hammer to it before i left it .
  • Bill Cr... Jimmy t... 2013/08/16 14:18:29
    Bill Cruice
    Also of note: Paying cash for cars is a "sign of terrorist activity" now, and theough asset forfeiture laws - you can have your cash taken from you, as it is seen as "evidence" of criminal activity. YOU aren't charged - your ASSETS are charged.
    So it's State of Virgina vs. $10,000. And you'll have to pay to get that money back...

People need to THINK more, and TRUST less.
  • torp101 2009/09/08 11:52:26
    torp101
    First these devices can NOT shut your car down while it is running.

Second, the people that have these devices in their cars have them because they have bad credit, and they agree to having them.

Last, car lenders are able to charge lower interest rates to high credit risks because of these devices.
  • Maximus torp101 2010/03/31 22:29:58
    Maximus
    +3
    Actually...there's devices that can stop a running engine by remote. Its mostly used to stop thieves from stealing your car. But I'm sure this device keeps the engine from running the next time they start it.
  • Veronis 2009/04/22 17:31:15
    Veronis
    what if you are nowhere near home and your car turns off what are you going to do
  • Voyager 2009/04/22 16:38:38
    Voyager
    +2
    Not just unfair but illegal. One could be enroute to hospital or on another emergency and this could cause hunderds of accidents and deaths, knock it off! They have those bully overweight crude folks that are REPO out there, don't mess with "Murder" which it could amount to. Go the legal route, Court system, don't play GOD with other folks' lives.
  • Texas Lia 2009/04/22 14:42:02
    Texas Lia
    So let's all go buy a horse. Cheaper to keep.
  • Voyager Texas Lia 2009/04/22 16:46:27
    Voyager
    +1
    I guess we could always get a goat cart, we could ditch the lawnmower too, no gas to buy and they graze the lawns! No jobs and no vehicle is not the solution. With all of the brain power, who ever came up with the shut off devise? I'd like one to shut off Obama when he keeps interrupting my program and pops up on my computer.Let me know how much that will cost!
  • Sparky066 2009/04/21 23:50:03
    Sparky066
    Dangerous - a lawsuit in the making
  • cinnamonredhead 2009/04/21 23:05:05
    cinnamonredhead
    Its just another way for us to be controlled. Sprint shut off my phone for non payment several times before I actually received my bill. Do I trust the car dealers to be any more responsible? No
  • woody 2009/04/21 18:41:31
  • Just MEH....Piwan 2009/04/21 14:40:45
    Just MEH....Piwan
    Within a certan grace period. If they haven't paid up by then, then OFF they should go!
  • cassondra Just ME... 2012/10/14 22:22:24
    cassondra
    +2
    My boyfriends car payment was due Friday I couldn't make it to the bank on time to deposit his check the dealer is closed on weekends it is a day and a half late and they shut off his car! I can't even call to make the payment cuz they are closed!!!! A day late seriously!!
  • cassondra cassondra 2012/10/14 22:25:16
    cassondra
    +2
    Oh and this is the first time ever being late!
  • HypothesizeIt 2009/04/21 13:23:06
    HypothesizeIt
    That's insane. What about the folks who have legitimate reasons for a late payment. Like a hurricane destroyed their home and they are living in a tent with no way to make a payment even though they have money in the bank.
  • Radlad 2009/04/21 11:37:32
    Radlad
    +1
    The question is who else can shut off your car?
  • Juli 2009/04/21 04:04:39
    Juli
    +1
    This is a little too "Big Brother" for me!
  • Cal ~ Pegleg4570 ~ 2009/04/21 03:40:44
    Cal ~ Pegleg4570 ~
    +1
    Cool.... On Star has grown up !
  • Bill Cr... Cal ~ P... 2013/08/16 14:21:58
    Bill Cruice
    When will you?
  • pkeyrich 2009/04/21 02:16:56
    pkeyrich
    +1
    There are no FREE rides in this world. An immediate shut off of the car could result in major accidents. It is unfair for cars to be shut off if only one payment was missed. The check could have been lost. Did you notice that BofA sent notices automatically enrolling you in an unemployment insurance plan to pay your bill? You have to call to cancel it, or they will charge you each month for balances still owed on your cards. A rip off!
  • chiglet - Daedric Sigil Mag... 2009/04/21 02:03:28
    chiglet - Daedric Sigil Mage, Smirotiel
    So, if someone is late and lives as far from their work as I do and there's no public transportation, gets their car remotely shut off, the companies are expecting said late payer to get to work to earn the money for payment HOW??? This is a truly moronic idea
    I agree with wolfshadow that there's probably some way of disconnecting the device too.
    Woed of mouth does nicely too. Once it's out which car companies are using these devices, people just need to stop buying from them (and let them know why).
  • cassondra chiglet... 2012/10/14 22:27:33
    cassondra
    +3
    My boyfriend restarted the battery fuse he said it works now at least to get him to work tonight thank goodness what would have happened if he lost his job over this. We dnt know anyone here just moved here for him to even get a ride and works 45 mins away smh this is plain stupid they can have the car come take it!
  • jhop 2009/04/21 01:52:59
    jhop
    +2
    Who thinks these gadgets up? Even baseball has a three strikes rule.
  • Sasssy 2009/04/21 01:52:14
    Sasssy
    +2
    Somehow the wrong ones will get cut off in the process.
    There will always be mistakes.
  • manda~supermommy!!! 2009/04/21 01:26:38
    manda~supermommy!!!
    This isn't usually a stipulation unless you have unfavorable credit history.
  • concerned 2009/04/21 00:46:50
    concerned
    and if they do ..they can pick up the car and keep it ..I'll take the bus
  • Greatbear100~support our vets 2009/04/20 23:20:27
    Greatbear100~support our vets
    +3
    This denies a person of due process and violates the rule of law.
  • NahNah 2009/04/20 23:12:06
    NahNah
    +2
    I find that the device may be unsafe. What if you are driving down a very populated highway then all of a sudden your car is just shut off, What do you do then? I guess that car would just be destroyed and then who is reliable for that, the loan company? Just some thoughts on it and I don't think such a device should be used.

2014/12/21 02:38:58