Recall on Radioactive Pet Food Bowls From Overseas: Do You Prefer to Buy Products 'Made In America' Whenever Possible?

mrosen814 2012/08/14 18:00:00
Petco is recalling radioactive stainless steel pet bowls from an overseas supplier. The foreign suppliers used "stainless steel containing small quantities of Cobalt-60 when fabricating certain orders of certain SKUs/models of stainless steel pet food bowls. Cobalt-60 is a radioactive material commonly used in industrial gauging equipment and other uses."

The company is unsure how the radioactive material was introduced into the pet food bowl, but speculates that some Cobalt-60 was "accidentally" mixed in during the production process. Is this all the more reason to buy products that are made in America?

PHILLY.COM reports:
Two recalls of note this morning: First, Petco has issued a recall of a certain brand of stainless steel bowl because of possible radioactivity and pet food company Arthur Dogswell LLC is recalling some lots of its Catswell cat treats.
food company arthur dogswell llc recalling lots catswell cat treats

Read More: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pets/Recalls-Ra...

• ed 2012/08/19 15:35:59 (edited)
    ed
    Always prefer products made here in America, but because of the bone heads in Washington it continues to get more and more difficult for US companies to compete. Big thank you goes out to the Amway brother who drafted NAFTA, which I hear was to increase their profits by making their products oversea's. NAFTA has distroyed this country from within by eliminating the very heart of the economy, Manufacturing. You can't even go to the grocery store and buy Seafood that was not processed in China so I always pay a little more for US caught and processed because everyday you hear something in the news about some tainted product from China.
  • Cora 2012/08/17 22:14:52
    Cora
    I read labels as much as possible.
  • Gandalf 2012/08/16 12:48:13
    Gandalf
    The worst cars ever made with the worst handling ever were made in the US. I would rather buy something that says "made in China" than "made in the US".
  • Nameless 2012/08/16 00:19:53
    Nameless
    However, it's not like we don't make mistakes, as well.
  • mae 2012/08/15 23:06:06
    mae
    Yes, Made In America is synonymous with Safe for consumption, better-made.
  • hardcore!!! 2012/08/15 20:29:01
    hardcore!!!
    For food anything else I could care less
  • frequent–antagonist 2012/08/15 20:05:54
    frequent–antagonist
    Sodahead is not an all american site, and quite frankly I'm getting a bit tired of people treating it as if it were. It's rather inconsiderate actually.

A much better way of putting this question would be "Do you prefer to buy products made in your own country whenever possible?", I'm just pointing out that it would probably appeal to a vaster majority or Sodahead's.

I care not where products come from, honestly. As long as they are of good quality. My country isn't suffering so badly that I feel the need to support it in every way possible. Not all American products are ever so ravishing, either. Sometimes it's just better to go with imported goods.
  • hardcor... frequen... 2012/08/15 20:29:33
    hardcore!!!
    Yes you're right
  • runningintriangles 2012/08/15 18:05:44
    runningintriangles
    +1
    ...but I also don't live in the US. I prefer to buy local products, yes, but "Made in the USA" doesn't mean local to me.
  • brian.southworth.921 2012/08/15 17:53:56
    brian.southworth.921
    +1
    Accidents happen. Excedrine had to make a recall and they are an American company. No one is perfect. Our car companies make recalls all the time. I will buy the cheapest in certain things and brands I know I can trust on others. Don't care who produces it. Either way, I pay taxes on it and if it's an import, the government gets an import tax on things coming in and if it's big enough I pay a luxury tax every year on it.
  • Defcon 2012/08/15 16:41:20
    Defcon
    +2
    I don't live in the USA, I get ''made in Russia'' and ''made in Germany''
  • Nathan Defcon 2012/08/15 17:34:00
    Nathan
    +1
    I wrote up a big post that I accidentally lost, but it was along the lines of your post. The local aluminum plant has super sensitive rad detectors, probably some type of scintillation counter, that can pick up when people have been injected with radioactive Iodine tracers. I'd buy American or German, but not Chinese or Japanese. I stay away from anything Japanese now and in fact, radioactive pollution wise, Japan is MUCH, MUCH worse than China even! Japanese cars have been shipped that are radioactive. I've seen cars emitting dosage rates of 3 uSv/hr and higher from some Japanese cars. (I'm talking about new cars only. Also, the radioactive particles emitting the radiation are much worse like strontium isotopes, cesium isotopes, uranium isotopes, plutonium isotopes and about a thousand others they don't even test for.) The limit by the Japanese gov't is like .3 uSv/hr, but we all know how well they test their food so how well do they test their cars? Stay away from Japanese and Chinese products people. The worst is the food from those countries. Pretty sickening.
  • the fuze 2012/08/15 16:21:07
    the fuze
    As much as I can.
  • Sperry23 2012/08/15 16:17:11
    Sperry23
    I just wish more were made in the U.S. And, quite honestly, some of the U.S. made products I've been seeing lately are not of very good quality. We really need to get back on the ball here.
  • shadow76 2012/08/15 16:13:33
    shadow76
    Did they come from China?
  • gocar 2012/08/15 15:35:12
    gocar
    I certainly spend more time looking at the labels now.
  • bob 2012/08/15 15:27:29
    bob
    Othe than Mitt Romney's Bain capital destroyed most of the American Companies, so now we get junk from China
  • kar 2012/08/15 15:04:55
    kar
    We need to bring more production back to US soil. We need to take pride in what we make and offer great products at affordable prices. Let's get people back to work and take some pride in our country. We need to help us first, and right now we need change.
  • Tannenberg1993 2012/08/15 14:12:13
    Tannenberg1993
    It's just too bad that there's so little to choose from...
  • ..::localeye::.. 2012/08/15 13:59:02 (edited)
    ..::localeye::..
    +2
    Doesn't really matter to me....plus stainless steel bowls are not good for your dog. At least not my dogs. Dries out their noses.
  • Playerazzi 2012/08/15 13:53:30
    Playerazzi
    +1
    I look for value for my money. If it's made in the U.S.A. well and good, but I'm not willing to get shoddy stuff made in America if I can get better stuff made in Japan, for example.

You're not helping anybody by buying second-rate merchandise.

IMO, Americans need to keep on working hard and using our advantage - our imagination and innovative spirit. If we get complacent, then it's a disaster for all of us. Only and American could have come up with an i-Phone and the Internet.
  • Defcon Playerazzi 2012/08/15 16:42:07
    Defcon
    what about german products
  • frequen... Playerazzi 2012/08/15 20:20:50
    frequent–antagonist
    Only an American? Seriously? I think you are giving them way too much credit.

An American may have invented the i-Phone, but a Canadian invented the telephone. Not to mention the Blackberry. Hmm, let's see what else: electric wheelchair, electric oven, ski-doo, lightbulb, radio voice transmission, snowblower, paint-roller.... I could go on, but I wont.

I'm not saying any of that to brag. I'm just pointing out that America isn't the only country that has had 'innovative' inventions. I'm pretty sure every country has.

Even Israeli has had some great inventions for example, such as: Intel processors, and quite a few health products (The PillCam video capsules, SpineAssist, Optical Heartbeat Monitor, etc.)
  • ed frequen... 2012/08/19 15:47:08 (edited)
    ed
    I agree I have no problem buying products made in Canada. Even food products it's always been of good quality and German and Swiss made have been of exceptionally good quality and worth money.
  • Gasbagmike 2012/08/15 12:30:39
    Gasbagmike
    Made in America products are build to last and they keep americans working.
  • jmc07806-PWCM-JLA 2012/08/15 12:29:23
    jmc07806-PWCM-JLA
    +2
    we all should support products made in our own countries whenever possible.
  • ed 2012/08/15 11:32:58
    ed
    +1
    yes I would much rather support AMERICA than any other country buy american buy american
  • Defcon ed 2012/08/15 16:42:32
    Defcon
    +1
    ...or German
  • ed Defcon 2012/08/15 18:14:37
    ed
    +1
    I like things from Germany like German ladies,German food and we have some very nice people here on sodahead from Germany.
  • DizziNY 2012/08/15 11:29:23 (edited)
    DizziNY
    I have two of these bowls but I have had them for years. Do I need to get rid of them? I prefer ceramic ones actually.
  • MW121 2012/08/15 10:39:42
    MW121
    +2
    Don't really look.. If I need it, I get it.
  • Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel 2012/08/15 07:58:56
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    Made in the USA is the only way to go if and when possible.
  • Dickens 2012/08/15 07:54:00 (edited)
    Dickens
    oh, yeah, but so little is made here lest the greedos have to pay a living wage to Americans...(isn't romney a big supporter of tax breaks for sending jobs overseas?..and aren't the Chinese ALWAYS dumping their poisoned trash on us..)
  • strawberry 2012/08/15 07:14:02
    strawberry
    +2
    I prefer clothing, cosmetics, perfumes, electronic devices, vehicles, made in Europe, England, or Japan. At one time products were more widely imported into the U.S. from England and Europe. Their quality is superior. Foreign autos are far superior to most U.S. firms. If it came down to made in in India, China, Bangladesh, Korea, etc. then yes I would prefer U.S. made brands. Actually Hong Kong was once noted for their exceptional tailoring.
  • DizziNY strawberry 2012/08/15 11:30:14
    DizziNY
    +1
    Do you check to be sure those European and other foreign countries don't test on animals?
  • strawberry DizziNY 2012/08/17 06:32:58 (edited)
    strawberry
    They test on animals in the United States, only keep it hush hush.! http://cjo-cdn.com/sites/defa... http://deskofbrian.com/wp-con... Plum Island  Plum Island Animal Testing Center Plum Island Animal Testing Center Plum Island Animal Testing Center
  • aksquad 2012/08/15 05:29:49
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2012/08/15 05:06:57
    MOMMA THOMAS
    YES..... HOW DO WE CHECK THE ANIMALS FOR POISONING?
  • Rock 2012/08/15 04:56:58
    Rock
    I'm particularly peculiar when it comes to pet stuff. There are just too many stories about lead paint and other inferior products (like chicken jerky) coming out of China. I like made in the USA stuff and I don't mind pay a few extra bucks for the stuff.
  • Muver 2012/08/15 04:29:48
    Muver
    +1
    Yes, Yes, Yes, and not just ASSEMBLED in America from parts made in China or wherever....I want to purchase totally American made products...

2014/10/25 09:42:29