Rave this if you love MLK!

PrettyGurl18 2012/01/16 08:34:49

This is such an emotional subject, about a man who lived in an emotional time of violence, conflict, and unbridled cruelty. We have come so far. Thank you Dr King and all the good people who have fought for equality.

+1
    great man!
  • Mrkando 2012/01/28 23:22:42
    Mrkando
    +1
    Martian Luther King was indeed a great man. He was willing to put his life on the line for what he believed. He knew full well that he may not live to see the other side but he fought hard so that others would and he was very influential in bringing out change. His dream of that promise land has yet to be completely fulfilled but, more than anyone else, he clearly brought us much closer than we ever had been before.
  • NarcolepticGoat 2012/01/28 14:11:35
    NarcolepticGoat
    +1
    My dad studied Dr. King's sermons. My parents were there at the Lincoln Memorial to hear him talk about his dream. My dad at the time had only been a preacher for a few years, but he embraced and continued to study and preach it all his professional life.
  • Marc m 2012/01/28 04:36:48
    Marc m
    +2
    I love the REAL MLK not the liberal media's version of him. the real MLK would NEVER have voted for BHO because MLK would have looked at the 'content' of his heart ... NOT the color of his skin.
  • The Ele... Marc m 2012/01/28 12:27:49
    The Electrician
    Why do you insist that people like yourselves know more about President Obama than the people that support him. Only God knows what is in the hearts of Man. This is a man that has never projected any kind of hatred or disdain for his fellow Americans. In the Face of unprecedented opposition and is dealing with it better than expected. He is attempting to reverse the wrong doings and failed policies of the previous Administration. There is NO such thing as Liberal media. It's media that exposes the TRUTH. TRUTHS that are self evident in the Hearts and Minds of good Men and Women.
  • Marc m The Ele... 2012/01/29 00:19:44
    Marc m
    If there is no media bias ... explain how these folks know so much about the negatives of conservatives and almost none of the liberals...http://youtu.be/mm...
  • The Ele... Marc m 2012/01/29 01:06:56
    The Electrician
    Did you ever consider the fact that that the Liberal people are usually right.

The Constitution is a Liberal document. The only ones contrary to that are Conservatives.

"We find these truths self evident."
  • Marc m The Ele... 2012/01/29 19:30:35 (edited)
    Marc m
    Yes, I consider if liberals can be correct on every subject I debate in my mind. The answer is NEARLY alwayz the same ... NOPE they are wrong about this too. One example ... Kill a innocent child in the womb, regardless of how it was conceived, or not ... my conclusion It's ALWAYZ wrong to kill the INNOCENT.
  • The Ele... Marc m 2012/01/30 02:13:39
    The Electrician
    An Anti-Abortion, Pro-Death Penalty lunatic, more Abortions, less morons and anti - abortionist. You know the people that NO one in their right mind would knock-up in the first place. Give it a break with this BS.
  • Marc m The Ele... 2012/01/30 02:25:01
    Marc m
    Very thoughtful & mature response ... you have won me to your side as it seems there is a lot less work in putting together an intelligent response. Now I can just take it easy intellectually i mean.
  • ZERO 2012/01/19 10:58:46
  • PrettyG... ZERO 2012/01/19 12:20:00
    PrettyGurl18
    +1
    Thank you. That is a beautiful film and I am going to add it to my collection!
  • Kaleokualoha 2012/01/18 20:41:25 (edited)
    Kaleokualoha
    +2
    Beware of revisionists who claim King was a conservative. Conservatives used to call King a "communist," which is just as absurd as calling Obama a "communist." King was a "liberal" Republican because the GOP had historically been more progressive (i.e., "favoring or advocating progress, change, improvement, or reform, as opposed to wishing to maintain things as they are, especially in political matters: a progressive mayor" - http://dictionary.reference.c... ).

Democrats assumed the civil rights initiative with JFK/LBJ. Leadership was assured when Richard Nixon implemented the "Southern Strategy," which attracted conservative whites to the GOP.

I understand, however, how delusional conservatives may believe that King or Obama is "communist." They are usually useful idiots, misled by conservative leaders who demonize their opponents. The Conservative Disinformation Network is quite effective in spreading propaganda.

Those on the fringe of any group often lack the perspective to accurately gauge the position of others near the center or on the other side of the group. To a dwarf, people of average height may seem tall.

The Daily Beast reflects how King has been misrepresented:

[QUOTE]
    The MLK Whitewash

Jan 16, 2012 7:17 AM EST As he is rightly honored every year, i...

[QUOTE]
    The MLK Whitewash

Jan 16, 2012 7:17 AM EST As he is rightly honored every year, it’s easy to forget that Dr. King was once reviled as a Communist and a threat to America. John Avlon on why the old attacks are a warning for today’s politicians.

This Martin Luther King, Jr. Day finds our nation rightly united in honoring the man who challenged America to live up to the promise that all men are created equal.
    But it’s also worth remembering that it was not always this way. King was widely reviled in his lifetime, attacked as a troublemaker, a liar, a con man and a communist.

These smears are part of his legacy as well. They remind us that even American icons were once demonized and derided. And when we whitewash history into simplicity, we lose a sense of the real struggle that can inspire endurance today.

That’s why I can’t help but smile when I hear some of the figures honoring Dr. King today.
    For example, at a recent presidential debate, Ron Paul answered questions about racist statements that appeared in newsletters published under his name in the 1990s by saying, “One of my heroes is Martin Luther King because he practiced the libertarian principle of peaceful resistance and peaceful civil disobedience."

I have no doubt that Ron Paul is sincere, but I’d really like to see some supportive statements about Dr. King from Paul during the Civil Rights era.

Likewise, I was struck at Glenn Beck’s rally on the Washington Mall when he paid tribute to Dr. King, also part of a repeated riff on his show, which featured King’s face in a parade of heroes beginning with George Washington.

Last year, in the wake of Gabrielle Giffords’ shooting, Beck’s website offered a more explicit comparison, surreally positioning himself as the inheritor of King’s commitment to non-violence: "Over four decades ago, Martin Luther King, Jr. led the Civil Rights Movement with a philosophy and pledge of nonviolence. In the wake of the tragedy in Arizona, Glenn put forth a similar call for nonviolence." You just can’t make this stuff up.
    On the one hand, its satisfying to see a figure like Dr. King be mainstreamed and admired across the political spectrum—it is a sure sign of progress and societal evolution.
    But there is no small amount of irony in conservative populists invoking Martin Luther King—because some of their ideological ancestors were among his most vicious critics.
    But there is no small amount of irony in conservative populists invoking Martin Luther King.
    For example, FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover, beloved by crew-cutted conservatives of his time, called King “the most notorious liar in the country”.

In Canaan’s Edge: America In The King Years 1965 – 1968, author Taylor Branch details how Hoover “cultivated King as the fearsome dark symbol of the latest 20th century threat to tranquility on Main Street America—succeeding immigrants, Depression gangsters, Nazis and communists.”

Polite society rallied against King under the auspices of the White Citizens Councils, appearing most recently as part of the plot line in the 2011 movie The Help.

Contemporary newspapers were likewise far from unified in their support of King, with the St. Louis Globe-Democrat calling King “one of the most menacing men in America today.”
    There were roadside billboards scattered throughout the South purporting to show King at a communist training camp.

Adding to this narrative were people like Alabama Governor George Wallace, who told The New York Times in 1963 that “President [Kennedy] wants us to surrender this state to Martin Luther King and his group of pro-Communists who have instituted these demonstrations."

But even an avowed segregationist like Wallace indignantly denied that he was racist, saying, “I never made a statement in my political career that reflects on a man’s race…My only interest is in the restoration of local government.” State’s rights were the rationale, defense of the Constitution the ennobling ideal.

When South Carolina Senator Strom Thurmond voted against the Voting Rights Act, he fretted that the Senate that day marked the “final resting place of the Constitution and the rule of the law, for it is here that we will have been buried with shovels of emotion under piles of expediency in the year of our Lord, 1965.”

This was the same type of rhetoric Senator James Eastland used to decry the Brown vs. Board of Education decision to his constituents in Mississippi: “On May 17, 1954, the Constitution of the United States was destroyed because of the Supreme Court’s decision. You are not obliged to obey decisions of any court which are plainly fraudulent and based on sociological considerations.”

It’s important to note that Dr. King’s most vicious critics were not Republicans. But they were conservatives—conservative populist southern Democrats, to be exact.

Just 50 years ago, the fault lines of American politics were still influenced by the battles of the Civil War. The South voted straight Democrat from 1860 to 1960 because the Republican Party was the Party of Lincoln. That historic legacy also helps explain why Martin Luther King, Sr., was a Republican. And Mitt Romney’s father George marched with MLK in Michigan, a sign of significant political courage at the time.

The partisan labels only distract from the deeper continuity—conservative populists using the politics of fear and hatred of the “other” to hold onto power. It results in an insidious form of group-think that attacks anyone who threatens orthodoxy. And too often it is wrapped up in lofty rhetoric about commitment to the Bible and the Constitution, while opponents are cast as secular socialists or worse.

The point is not that conservative populists today are racist—that is an ugly charge that gets thrown around too reflexively from the left in our politics.

But when we hear attacks once directed at Dr. King echoing in our politics today—calling opponents anti-American, communist or hell-bent on destroying the Constitution—it is worth caution and condemnation. They are likely to sound just as unhinged when historic perspective sets in.

The legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King belongs to us all—and we remember his true heroism by also remembering how powerful his critics were at the time. They tried to turn his dream into a nightmare. We shouldn’t simply accept Dr. King’s success without honoring his struggle—remembering those who stood with him while others screamed. Learning from history is, after all, the surest way to form a more perfect union.
    [END QUOTE http://www.thedailybeast.com/... ]
  • janet 2012/01/18 18:09:13
    janet
    +4
    WOW!!
    I think Melly said it best,
    "We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now"
    All of the many different extremist groups in our society need to take heed in that statement.
  • hasher 2012/01/18 16:20:50
    hasher
    +4
    and he was conservative. go figure. his neice has been interviewed several times and she herself is conservative too.
  • Kaleoku... hasher 2012/01/18 20:46:18
    Kaleokualoha
    Conservatives used to call King a "communist": See
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/...
  • Dead Inside 2012/01/18 11:28:40
    Dead Inside
    +3
    If it wasnt for mr king i would not have the friends i have today thank you mr. King
  • Tunnel Vision 2012/01/18 11:02:55
    Tunnel Vision
    +1
    I admire and honor the name of Dr. King. I do not, however, think that he should be used as a tool to get raves.
    level 21
  • PrettyG... Tunnel ... 2012/01/18 11:47:07
    PrettyGurl18
    +4
    WHY do you kids hound me about the rave thing? I am going to explain it again.

If you rave this post, sodahead will keep it up longer and more people will read it and share it and enjoy it and participate. I'm trying to spread his message and honor him, and you are poo pooing on that!

Now rave this post! :)
  • Tunnel ... PrettyG... 2012/01/18 12:11:32
    Tunnel Vision
    Kids? I am a fully functioning adult thank you and if you really wanted to spread his message like you say, share some of his message with us. I will not rave this post.
  • hasher PrettyG... 2012/01/18 16:17:14
    hasher
    +5
    some people have such issues. whats the big deal. mlk deserves to be raved and sooomuch more!!! he was so awsome.!!!
  • PrettyG... hasher 2012/01/18 23:26:29 (edited)
    PrettyGurl18
    +1
    I agree. That guy ain't hurting my feelings any!
  • Tunnel Vision 2012/01/18 10:59:55
  • PrettyG... Tunnel ... 2012/01/18 12:03:51
    PrettyGurl18
    +3
    What you see is a great post about a great man because of great people who raved this great post and made it greatly popular. Thank you all for supporting the message and the memory of MLK by participating in and raving this post.
  • LoneWolfe_19 2012/01/18 07:38:49
    LoneWolfe_19
    +4
    he gave his life to something bigger than himself, he will always be the prince of peace in my book, well him and Jesus :)
  • PrettyG... LoneWol... 2012/01/18 12:06:46
    PrettyGurl18
    +4
    You might admire Gandhi as well. A brave and intelligent man who could have lived like a king but chose to scrub the toilets of paupers instead, and became a great leader of millions of people through his sacrifice and dedication. He taught the people of India self sufficiency as a way to get out from under British rule.
  • LoneWol... PrettyG... 2012/01/18 15:21:09
    LoneWolfe_19
    +2
    oh yeah, i forgot about him, mate.
  • Brendan... PrettyG... 2012/01/19 17:51:15
    Brendan Mcdonald
    +1
    Gandhi great man but also very racist he hated black people so to talk about him like martin luther is a little ironic XD
  • PrettyG... Brendan... 2012/01/23 14:48:50
    PrettyGurl18
    +1
    I'll have to look into it. You should do a blog about it and invite me to it so we can discuss it.
  • Brendan... PrettyG... 2012/01/23 17:15:26
    Brendan Mcdonald
    Eh maby hahah you can look up video's of him and his racist views against black people.
  • T J 2012/01/18 06:13:46
    T J
    +2
    What more can be said?
  • pammerjammer 2012/01/18 05:51:21
    pammerjammer
    +3
    He is a great leader that brought the whole nation forward.
  • hasher pammerj... 2012/01/18 16:18:56
    hasher
    +4
    he sure was. i havent seen any leader quite likehim since. and he was a black conservative. have you heard his neice being interviewed?? she said that about her uncle and she herself is conservative.
  • Kaleoku... hasher 2012/01/18 20:45:32
    Kaleokualoha
    +1
    Beware of revisionist conservatives who claim King was a conservative. Conservatives used to call King a "communist"! See http://www.thedailybeast.com/...
  • Billy Williams 2012/01/18 05:20:17 (edited)
    Billy Williams
    +5
    martin luther king
    Thank You MLK!
  • in vino veritas 2012/01/18 02:50:14
  • Pearlie... in vino... 2012/01/19 05:38:28
    Pearlie Momi♥Patriot Warrior♥
    +3
    Hi ..I know he probably say, Keep my dream alive...
  • in vino... Pearlie... 2012/01/20 01:36:25
  • kawaiigurl1234 2012/01/18 02:21:04
    kawaiigurl1234
    +4
    I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
    ~Dr.Martin Luther King Jr.
    That qoute is soo beautiful. Unforunately, he didn't see that day:(.

Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/qu...
  • bettyboop 2012/01/18 00:27:01
    bettyboop
    +7
    The greatest use of a life is to spend it for something that will outlast it.
    black and white children playing together black and white children playing together Men are created equal Men are created equal

2014/07/31 05:39:07