PUBLIC OPINION > Women Are More Prone to Road Rage

A recent study found that women were more likely than men to report feelings of road rage. We weren't sure how to take that information, so we asked the public to comment. Are women really more prone to wilin' out behind the wheel?

The public believes it. About 61% of respondents said they agree with the survey results: Women are more prone to road rage. Men are usually more associated with anger and aggressive behavior, especially in visceral situations, but in the driver's seat the world always looks a little bit different. Many claimed women are quicker to flip the bird, though the Top Opinion pointed out that men are more likely to get out of the car and kick it up a notch.

Even Women Agree

Now, men were more likely to accuse women of being quick to anger on the road, but we were more surprised at the percentage of women who agreed. More than half of female voters (58%) admitted that they think women are more prone to road rage. In fact, many of them admitted their own guilt. Of course, anger does not apply to all women.

Raging Relationships

Oddly, voters in a relationship were more convinced than almost any demographic that women are more prone. Married voters, on the other hand, were split. However, there was no correlation between age. Maybe people who are married have calmed down a bit in general. Or maybe they don't drive together very often anymore.

Drinkers Judging Drivers

Finally, we noticed that drinkers were a good deal more likely to think female drivers rage on the regular. Hopefully the drinking and judging aren't simultaneous. Whatever the case, drinkers might not have as many reservations about sharing their opinions, even if it has the potential to ruffle some feathers.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about road rage. We'd love to hear from you!

• darlenedoskas1969 2012/08/04 15:20:15
    darlenedoskas1969
    +5
    I can believe that women are more likely to ADMIT TO feelings of road rage... but that's far from women being more likely to COMMIT ACTS of road rage...
    I bet if stats were compiled about who has actually committed acts of road rage, it's men who are whipping out guns and threatening or shooting people because they got cut off, or getting out of their car with a tire iron and attacking others in traffic jams, not women

• Alacrity 2012/12/19 16:01:34 (edited)
    Alacrity
    +1
    Yes! I believe it's because women tend to be emotional and like showing it.
  • umapathy Krishnamurthy 2012/12/14 22:34:21
    umapathy Krishnamurthy
    Yes now a days
  • mzemma 2012/12/14 18:59:23
    mzemma
    And of course I am sure that this survey was conducted by misogynist men! Hello always considered the bias source ! Women hate men and men hate women. it's a wonder they ever come together to procreate.... Of course now there are so many people in the world....that we don't need anymore.... But you don"t see males suggesting contraception....they would rather kill off over population with disease and war....because there are big profits in in reducing the population in that manner. You all need to read more..
    Im not at all surprised!
  • foxy 2012/12/02 19:12:34
    foxy
    As a women driver I disagree, most of the problems come from men who do not want to be behind me when I keep to the speed limit. Why not have a poll to see if men v women get more speeding tickets. Been driving 20 odd yrs got 1 ticket when a man cut me up!
  • EricVanSingleton 2012/11/24 00:14:55
    EricVanSingleton
    I find it interesting that the women in the photos all seem to have a Zena expression. Zena Warrior Princess
  • Dadgi 2012/11/22 20:04:14
    Dadgi
    I and my wife have seen more women than men act out in rage. It doesn't matter who is at fault. Women always think you are in the wrong.
  • Finding the Parallel 2012/11/22 10:40:07
    Finding the Parallel
    The difference in the original survey between men and women is 5%. Surveys need to define what they mean more. Getting angry, flipping the bird, shouting, everyone could define road rage differently. To me getting out of the car, and/or showing agression to another driver is road rage, but feeling road rage is not - that is called feeling angry. I think I'll be staying away from CBSBaltimore's website as most of the commenters are extremely bitter and racist people - that's putting it lightly.
  • Mary Mary 2012/11/20 01:03:41
    Mary Mary
    I agree lol
  • carla.fitch.33 2012/11/17 02:48:18
    carla.fitch.33
    I can definetely agree to that. I'm a woman and I know how I feel when I'm driving.....mad!!! But I wouldn't do anything to put anyone else or myself in danger.
  • kathy 2012/11/10 21:06:51
    kathy
    +1
    I think because as women, we are cast as the nurturing one, the "fix it all" role, trying to juggle kids,husbands/sig. other/maybe aging parents/the work place we have so so much onm our plate! and I agree, nothing gets me more mad than driving into town, and seeing someone on my ass talking on the phone, not using turn signals, not waving to say thank you if you let them into traffic-yup have to agree, think women are more prone to road rage!
  • Amber Fredrick 2012/11/08 22:08:34
    Amber Fredrick
    +3
    I rage it all day every day in the most polite and effective way possible. This involves shrugging, staring intently at brain-dead people as you pass them, flashing lights to remind people to put their lights or signals on, friendly honk to remind driver the light is green, and my personal favorite, yelling "thank you!!" out the window with a big gay smile and huge wave as they yield in front of me with not turning signal. I've never been in accidents either. In order to be a safe driver you need to be alert and defensive. That's how I keep myself safe. I get around those idiots going 50 in the fast lane. I told my husband there should be a universal radio in every car in America where you can radio the cars around you if you need and say, "hey, you keep cutting in my lane, please stop that", or "hey, will you please move over to the slow lane if you insist on boxing me in and keeping 500 feet in front of you?" Hmm...
  • kathy Amber F... 2012/11/10 21:08:39
    kathy
    I do the "thank you too!"-or what really angers me is the highway when people STAY in the passing lane
  • ThePollitician 2012/11/07 23:15:10
    ThePollitician
    Agree.
  • Classy And I Know It... 2012/11/01 06:09:46
  • kathy Classy ... 2012/11/10 21:09:44
    kathy
    +2
    sure do! tell my husband all the time, he has his period 28 days out of the month!
  • Classy ... kathy 2012/11/10 22:18:26
  • themasses_unite 2012/10/28 17:12:00
    themasses_unite
    +4
    We deal with too much stuff.
  • naked_and_barefoot N.I.T. 2012/10/24 15:06:39
    naked_and_barefoot N.I.T.
    +2
    In my opinion I think it is because a lot of Mom's with children are doing a lot of go here, go there. If your a working Mom out in corporate America you """ most likely """ have an 8 to 5 job and you have to deal with traffic once you get off unless you live really close to work. After school activities can push you to the limit and that combined with traffic, accidents and the like can make you go thermal real quick. IMHO a woman should not push herself to the limit for after school activities. If your already working, getting off and needing to go shopping for dinner...come home to cook...etc, etc, etc you are already running in the yellow of the over drive meter. One of my gf's teenage sons wanted to join the school band and wanted to know how " MOM " was going to get him everywhere he needed to go. I loved her reply.

"If you want to join the band """ you """ need to figure out how your going to get everywhere. Sorry but my schedule is full"
  • ready46xwu 2012/10/23 14:35:35
    ready46xwu
    +1
    I've got a 'lady friend' who just goes 'nuts'!
    I don't ride w/her often! lol
    I have to say that I've encountered a couple of instances of female "road rage", though fairly mild. Once I was merging onto a freeway and from the #4 lane I changed lanes to the #3, seeing that it was clear, then from the #3 to the #2 and then continued my drive. A lady behind me, who had apparently wanted to pass me from the very beginning, then passed me in the #1 lane and "flipped me off." I hadn't "cut her off" or done anything that would be considered either illegal or impolite as a driver - I had just changed lanes legally, one at a time, but she felt that she should have been able to pass me immediately. Also, it isn't as though I was driving too slow - I was with the flow of traffic which was probably between 5 and 10 mph over the speed limit. When she did pass me she flew off at least at 20 mph over the speed limit.

Another time I was in the far right lane, an "exit only" lane approaching an off-ramp. I was probably five car lengths behind the car in front of me, doing around 50 mph, and the lady behind me started laying on the horn, wanting me to close my gap with the driver in front of me. I didn't and she became enraged, like the other lady, speeding around me when we got on the highway the off-ramp led to and, again, flipping me off.

I mentioned the fac...

I mentioned the fact once to a California Highway Patrol officer during a break in a deposition he was giving. He told me that the last two tickets he had given for driving over 100 mph had been to women. Apparently some women are driving as aggressive, or more aggressive, as men.
  • Amber F... Ken 2012/11/08 22:12:06
    Amber Fredrick
    +4
    The best thing you can do in these instances is play dumb, smile, and wave at them. Pretend like you think they're a long lost friend and just wave... (it looks as though you think they are honking at you to say hi)... It diffuses the situation.
  • Drake 2012/10/07 03:03:14
  • mac9 2012/09/07 15:49:16
    mac9
    I can't really believe that.
  • Derbyhat 2012/08/30 07:14:32
    Derbyhat
    I remember driving on the Maine Turnpike behind a woman driving an Element for about twenty minutes and would not put her cell phone down. I started to pass and in a flash she was behind me on my bumper as I was moving ahead a long line of closed in drivers. I used my four ways to signal her to back off and a barrage of hand signals were clearly viasible in my rear view mirror. I finally passed the line of traffic moved over and she followed behind me as if nothing happened. I guess she wanted to be ahead of everyone!
  • Todd The Libertarian 2012/08/20 01:56:50
    Todd The Libertarian
    My wife is the queen of road rage.
  • Christopher Kirchen 2012/08/14 16:12:54
    Christopher Kirchen
    Interesting, considering that the stereotype is that men are more aggressive.
  • Annabella 2012/08/12 18:44:41
    Annabella
    it depens on the situation and on the day they are goning have and some ppl are really suck at driving
  • You Know IT 2012/08/12 07:40:19 (edited)
    You Know IT
    Actually i think woman are more prone to causing Road Rage, actually raging, meh I don't really think so.
  • sunniday 2012/08/08 21:16:14
    sunniday
    Yes,quicker to anger but also do not react,which is part of our make up we get angry but usually bite our tongue
  • Chris sunniday 2012/10/10 18:36:15
    Chris
    I agree,
  • HAlex1972 2012/08/08 08:55:57
  • melissa 2012/08/07 18:59:57
    melissa
    YES! I agree women can be aggressive some/most of the times. Wheather it road rage or in the workplace etc.
  • Welltodo 2012/08/07 18:29:42
    Welltodo
    +1
    I don't agreee. I don't think it's gender based. It's more...did you have alot of stress that day? or what's going on in your mind at the time...
  • Lucy 2012/08/07 18:06:46
    Lucy
    +1
    Absolutely not!! Men are the ones who follow people, take out guns and shoot them, hit people with baseball bats all over a road incident. Women make get mad, but they are not as violent as men normally.
  • Welltodo Lucy 2012/08/07 18:27:09
    Welltodo
    +1
    Bravo! How many have you heard of women being aggressive behind the wheel? and end up on the news? I've seen DOZENS upon DOZENS of pursuits by police and guess who was behind the wheel? A man.
  • Lucy Welltodo 2012/08/08 17:52:04
    Lucy
    Yeah!! Thanks.
  • pdt_ski 2012/08/07 04:28:50
    pdt_ski
    +1
    I'm not one to espouse anything that would support feminist causes but I'd have to say, in my experience (many brothers), definitely No. Of all the women I know, most do not exhibit road rage and truth be told if that's the norm I must be very fortunate in my life because I don't know any women like that. Bringing their feelings onto the road, however... completely different question. I doubt a ticket for "driving flustered" would ever stick.
  • chrystal97 2012/08/07 03:38:07
    chrystal97
    +1
    This said, "more likely ...to report feelings of road rage. That just means they are more likely to say they did it. Meaning men could have road rage and not admit to it. Misleading, very misleading.
  • Bunny 2012/08/06 23:14:28
    Bunny
    +1
    Yeah, when they're cut off by men

2014/09/16 23:31:26