PUBLIC OPINION > Valentine's Day Isn't for Everyone

It's Valentine's Day, and whatever your feelings about the holiday, you'd better know whether or not your special someone is expecting anything. Some call it a Hallmark holiday, designed to sell greeting cards; others consider it an essential expression of love and romance. You certainly don't want to assume your Valentine despises it and fail to buy her flowers, because if she's expecting them you could end up on the couch. At the same time, you don't want to needlessly feed the machine if your Valentine is content to ignore the hype and split some Chinese take-out. We asked the public which camp they fall into.

Valentine's Day: Love It or Hate It?

53% Hate Valentine's Day

We're gonna call this a split decision, although technically hate won out over love by a few percent. There were several prominent reasons for disliking Valentine's, but they all boiled down to one simple concept: It dilutes the true meaning of love. Many respondents have had bad experiences -- dashed expectations, pressure from the spouse -- while others are fed up with the commercialism of the whole thing. If you truly love someone, why stress out about a single day? Why not make every day special? On the other hand, supporters were happy to embrace the lovey doveyness, pretensions and all. It can be cute and fun if you let it. It really depends on your situation.

Sucks When You're Single

As we suspected, singles are significantly less enthusiastic toward the holiday than the rest. Understandable. What reason would they have to celebrate a holiday built around romantic relationships? Nearly two-thirds of voters who were married or in a relationship, though, love the holiday.

Ladies Show More Love

Valentine's Day can be stressful for anyone if the expectations are high, but for men who have no idea what to get their gal, the pressure can be too much. Gender was a deciding factor, with women 10% more likely to love Valentine's -- just enough to swing their vote in favor of it.

As Love Grows Older...

Distaste for the holiday remained pretty constant through middle-age, but there was a sudden spike at 55 years old -- well over "marrying age." Older voters were 19% more likely to enjoy Valentine's Day than younger age groups. Maybe that's the age couples stop taking it so seriously.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our original poll about Valentine's Day. We'd love to hear from you!

• rosalie.harman 2012/02/14 21:31:14
    rosalie.harman
    +8
    There are different kinds of love to celebrate-Love between friends,parent and child,pet and owner-not only romantic love.Love is love and gives me lots of joy which I chose to celebrate..

• naomicolleen 2012/02/18 23:02:37
    naomicolleen
    yeeeo
  • 2012/02/15 19:43:11
    I'm in love and I have real friends but i hate this holiday because of the commercialism that comes with it...
  • jacktown kid 2012/02/15 15:51:04
    jacktown kid
    Sometimes it can be good and sometimes it can a pain in the Ass
  • betz 2012/02/15 13:16:27
    betz
    +1
    My husband and I have never made much of a big deal about the day. Sounds corny but we love each other every day. We've gotten to the point where we have given the same Valentine card to each other year after year after year. Hallmark isn't getting our money every Feb.14th. As for flowers...I'm not much of a flower fan. I can buy my own bouquet and arrange it from the grocery store for $9.99

I do feel it can be a lonely day for those who don't have someone. That and New Years Eve are very sad for the lonely and alone.
  • TMan betz 2012/02/15 13:45:59
  • betz TMan 2012/02/15 14:00:18
    betz
    +1
    Oh you do tickle me TM. And here are some for your wife:
    wedding arrangements
    I'm sorry it's a wedding arrangement but since it's the day after V-day this is all they had.
  • TMan betz 2012/02/15 14:04:57
  • betz TMan 2012/02/15 14:16:50
    betz
    +1
    Oh shoot he's going to half to take a half day off. It'll take at least that long with the gardening tools we have.
    small spade
  • TMan betz 2012/02/15 14:30:19
  • betz TMan 2012/02/15 19:19:12
    betz
    OMG my husband behind the wheel of one of those? Never on your life. We are looking at a car to buy and the one we test drove had about every gimmicky thing on it and he couldn't even figure out how to get in it drive. I am serious. I told him that the astronomical amount of money they wanted for the car was ridiculous. He is bent on getting it. It's a pretty sore subject in this family, Men and their stupid cars.
  • MariahRene 2012/02/15 11:27:40
    MariahRene
    I don't really fall too heavily on either side. I mean, yeah, it's not for everybody. But neither is Chrisrmas/Kwanza/Hanukka, or Easter, or any holiday for that matter. It's really all a matter of choice. The fact that it's called a holiday has nothing to do with your choice of celebrating. I promise that you will not get picked up by the police and be dragged to jail for not participating :P
  • Nish 2012/02/15 09:05:44
    Nish
    I think it's ok if someone have a good lover.
  • Trouble 2012/02/15 08:43:57
    Trouble
    +2
    I think it's okay if friends not forgot my birhtday
  • Ricardo Saayman 2012/02/15 07:10:02
    Ricardo Saayman
    for me to be just part of it cause a lot off fun the love that poeple got to share among the loveones it's just give me the feeling to love and appriciate what we have learn our parents to the one you LOVE
  • LdyLeo 2012/02/15 06:41:00
    LdyLeo
    Valentine's day is so overrated.
  • Chris 2012/02/15 04:49:33
  • novelistgirl94 2012/02/15 03:48:43
    novelistgirl94
    I refer to it as "Singles Awareness Day" as a joke. I would like to celebrate with someone, but I enjoy being single to.
  • Max7 2012/02/15 03:30:39 (edited)
    Max7
    +1
    Valentine's day is for anyone who wants to celebrate it; I don't have a man in my life, but I treated myself to an outing today, I had something good to eat, treated myself to some rich fudge with walnuts, and saw a movie. I celebrated me today, because I love me some me. Happy Valentines Day to me
  • Julia Jude-Brooks 2012/02/15 02:35:00
    Julia Jude-Brooks
    It's so cute! My sis has a little crush!!
  • Waiting in the Wings 2012/02/15 01:55:21
    Waiting in the Wings
    I hate it and not because I'm single. I want a man to do nice things because he wants to, not because he feels obligated. I know that statistically we wouldn't be the only ones doing nice things for each other (flowers, etc), but at least it would FEEL like it.
  • Jessica 2012/02/15 01:30:47
    Jessica
    I hate it so much. Not because I'm single, but because my dad does a crappy job of getting my mom something. When she doesn't get something, she's hateful for an entire week. And when she does get something, she critisizes it =_= Valentine's Day is great because it reminds me about a great part of being single: I don't have to get nobody nothin'! xD Nor do I have to impress someone so I can stay in comfy clothes allllll day~
  • Aaron's Girl 2012/02/15 00:59:34
    Aaron's Girl
    +1
    "Love is like the wind. You can't see it, but you can feel it."
  • abbiekat 2012/02/15 00:49:26
    abbiekat
    I would love it if I had someone special to celebrate it with, I am currently single so it isn't exactly my favorite holiday.

valentines for singles
  • Cameron Kirchhoff 2012/02/15 00:25:42
    Cameron Kirchhoff
    In my honest opinion, love is not having to say anything at all.
  • [Katsu]™ 2012/02/14 23:57:17
    [Katsu]™
    I see no reason to whine even if you don't have a Valentine.
  • Waiting... [Katsu]™ 2012/02/15 02:01:36
    Waiting in the Wings
    +1
    Exactly! Being single is not a disease. And it doesn't make people want more by whining about being single.
  • Ang74 2012/02/14 23:51:14
    Ang74
    +1
    Valentines Day is a day to do something extra special to show someone you love them. People have turned it into a commercialism nightmare, but you don't have to buy into that. A love letter, a poem, doing your spouse's chores, cooking them a special dinner, going for a walk together. None of these things cost money, but are just as if not more effective at letting someone know they are special to you. I'd personally rather have these things than a Hallmark card.
  • TKramar 2012/02/14 23:09:49
    TKramar
    It's better if you're single, you don't have to stress over what to "get". Shouldn't love be enough?
  • smitty 2012/02/14 22:44:51
    smitty
    +1
    Many aspects of life and different holidays aren't for everyone.

If you want to celebrate, then do. If not, then do not. No sweat. If you don;t want to spend the cash on it then don't. What I like you may not like. What you like I may not like. So what? To each their own. When I get told what I need to do and how I need to do it, then I start to care.

I will enjoy it. Now to go see what type of dinner I get for my flowers and balloons purchase!
  • TheWeirdOne:] 2012/02/14 22:42:11
    TheWeirdOne:]
    I just took one of my best friends on a "date" it was fun for us. I don't see why you should hate it. Even if you are single.
  • firelooker 2012/02/14 22:41:38
    firelooker
    For all you young men out there who are recently married or married for a couple of years a little advice from an ol' married man "If Momma aint happy aint nobody happy!" for over 39 years (Closer to forty) 'Ive tried to follow those words of wisdom and for the most part I've been successful and have had a happy marriage. One more word of advice "Don't argue with them" you're gonna lose even if you win.
  • kaceyscroggins 2012/02/14 22:41:25
    kaceyscroggins
    I just never seem to have a reason to enjoy it. Something goes wrong every Valentines Day for me. My boyfriend broke up with me this Valentines Day so.... Yeah it's just out of the question fpr
  • firelooker 2012/02/14 22:33:23
    firelooker
    Usually I write my wife a card that I created myself ( She always say's I should write prose for a living) but this year I bought her one from Wal Mart that said "If loving you is a crime throw my silly ass in jail".
  • Breezy(: 2012/02/14 22:26:17
    Breezy(:
    +2
    Valentines' Day? Psh. I'm celebrating something else.
    Happy Singles Awareness Day, everyone!
  • I love Jessica<3<3<3 2012/02/14 22:06:50
  • thksfrthmmrs 2012/02/14 21:54:46
    thksfrthmmrs
    +1
    It sucks.#foreveralone
  • Arya 2012/02/14 21:54:46
    Arya
    +1
    Not to be a downer, but it's all about $$$ for the most part. There are a few real romantics out there who absolutely love it, I'm just not one of 'em, lol.
  • Kelly Yung 2012/02/14 21:52:36
    Kelly Yung
    +1
    Of course it isnt, i thought that was obvious, valentines day is for couples, thats what it's for, if your single it just makes you feel miserable or makes it even more obvious to you that your single!
  • OhSoNiceMe 2012/02/14 21:41:52
    OhSoNiceMe
    +4
    R.I.P. to all those virginities lost on this day :(
  • ❤Runaway❤ 2012/02/14 21:37:44
    ❤Runaway❤
    +1
    It's not. Sometimes it doesn't even have to do with being single. My geometry teacher is getting married tomorrow and he told us today that he hates Valentine's day.

2014/08/21 04:28:05