PUBLIC OPINION > There's No Harm in Letting a 3-Year-Old Wear Lipstick

Angelina Jolie has been criticized in the past for letting her daughter Shiloh dress in boyish clothes, but this time her youngest daughter, 3-year-old Vivienne, is turning heads. The child was spotted wearing red lipstick outside of the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood this weekend, prompting some to question whether that's an appropriate age to start your kids off on makeup. We asked the public what they thought.

The overall consensus seems to be that playing dress up is what little girls do. It's not like Jolie is dressing her up in a low-cut blouse and miniskirt. We'd sooner pull the plug on "Toddlers and Tiaras" than give Vivienne's lipstick a second thought. Of course, there were naysayers. Some suggested it's too young and might set little girls up to depend too heavily on the stuff. But for the most part, it's not a problem. On commenter wrote, "To quote Holden Caulfield: 'Very big deal.'"

Women Think It's Cute

None of the demographics took a strong stance against Vivienne's makeup, but female voters were more likely to let it slide. In the comments, many of them shared their personal experiences either putting on makeup at a young age, or putting it on their kids. It's not that uncommon, after all.

A Little More Cautious With Age

There was a correlation with age, but it wasn't drastic or very consistent. From teens to respondents in their 40s, support dropped about 19%, but support popped back up another 14% in the 55-64 group, so it wasn't exactly linear. The sudden increase could have been a fluke, although the sample size was decent enough to make it unlikely.

Parents Don't See a Problem

Seeing as this topic deals with raising kids, parents are naturally the most important demographic to examine. But they only varied a few points from the overall vote, and even that was in favor. Suffice it to say, Jolie isn't going to have any trouble finding backup on this if criticism continues.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our original poll about kids wearing lipstick. We'd love to hear from you!

Read More: http://www.sodahead.com/living/angelina-jolies-3-y...

• Vic~*PHAET*~ 2012/03/08 04:17:19
    Vic~*PHAET*~
    +17
    I'm not a fan of either Jolie or Pitt, personally, but I do find the number of questions regarding their parenting style to be somewhat aggravating mostly due to the fact that every time people question it, it's for nonsensical reasons -- most of which are normal happenings with small children. Most ironic, I find, is that people despise when their own parenting style is judged yet are more than willing to put down another method without knowing the facts.

At the tender age of four, I sat at my mother's vanity and played with her make up. I was even allowed to go to my gran's home wearing it for that day as well; I can only imagine how silly I looked. I also sometimes took my mother's clothes while she was folding clean laundry and would wear them around her room for fun. My parents and grandparents thought it extremely amusing.

And yet, am I hypersexual because my mother allowed me to play dress up and to wear her lipstick? Not at all.

Is my psyche skewed? Not at all.

Was the psyche of the grown men around me skewed? Not that I can tell.

If someone is sexually aroused or has to question themselves because of a child wearing or doing any of these things, they have bigger problems than society "programming" their sexuality. And that problem was certainly there much longer than the lipstick on my four year old lips.

• Sapphire101 2012/03/11 00:25:11
    Sapphire101
    I don't think there's any real problem with that, I mean who could it harm, really?
    A 3-year-old wearing lipstick, yes it isn't normal, but it is not too bad, it could depend.
    Because there are two different types of lipstick:
    The one with bad alchocol and chemicals and dangerous stuff
    And the good one without the nasty chemicals, the healthy one.

So, thats my opinion.
  • rcardon 2012/03/09 23:04:49
    rcardon
    I see nothing wrong with letting a little girl wear makeup. I know my little sisters would ask my mom for some makeup when playing dress up, and when going to church, etc.
  • Brittany 2012/03/09 02:52:27
    Brittany
    That just crazy. She's three. Why on earth do parents let their kids do things like that? Humans. You continue to disgust me. -.-
  • Nekosarethebest 2012/03/08 22:48:10
    Nekosarethebest
    Uh...yeh.
  • Quazar 2012/03/08 22:42:25
    Quazar
    As if the fame of the couple isn't enought to keep them in the tabloids now they devise a horrible way to inject their 3 year old into this hype. Really bad!!!
  • ATM 2012/03/08 22:23:03
    ATM
    Not the norm, empowers them. Such as we are discussing the ridiculousness of this topic !
  • L K 2012/03/08 21:55:21
    L K
    Maybe she was in a dance recital where they wear make-up. Who knows why. I once got into real trouble as a little girl for putting on my mom's make-up and lipstick. Boy, my mom chased me down the stairs...LOL. Perhaps that was why in my youth I was involved in theater and modeling and loved to put on make-up. Maybe if I had been allowed to wear it as a kid, it wouldn't matter so much as an adult. Who the heck knows. If she were 12, I think it might be different. But, she's just a little kid....no big deal.
  • <3 Xina )O( Wolfe <3 2012/03/08 21:31:46
    <3 Xina )O( Wolfe <3
    Playing dress up, wearing make up, nothing new there. But I don't really think they should be going out in public w/ ANY makeup, UNLESS there is some sort of performance they are participating in, which due to lighting and whatnot the child's face gets washed out.

Around the house, and with family/ close friends who may as well be family, that's a different story. And so long as it doesn't ever come to the point, ESPECIALLY at THAT young of an age, that the female child thinks she NEEDS makeup, let her explore a bit. Just don't take it over board. Although lip gloss and tinted lip balms I consider a different story, I don't quite consider those "makeup". So they would be allowed things such as that and nail polish (which I virtually never wear so it pry wouldn't be in my house, but should my daughter get it else where, that would be fine). And starting at the teenage years I would allow her to start wearing make up, perhaps a lil bit earlier if they have facial blemishes, and wish to wear some foundation or base, but nothing more before age 13. They would also be taught how to properly apply it w/o making themselves look like a hooch or a clown once they were allowed to start wearing make up. Although I would also try to teach them that they DO NOT NEED make up.
  • Sunshine 2012/03/08 20:34:48
    Sunshine
    +5
    I think it's harmless. Almost every little girl likes to try on makeup and put on fancy clothes. It only becomes a problem if the girl thinks she NEEDS to wear makeup.
  • ~Doll Princess~ 2012/03/08 20:04:49
    ~Doll Princess~
    +4
    It's just lipstick. Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with Brad Pitt's and Angelina Jolie's parenting skills..Why are people so hung up on their lives? I don't get it O_O
  • POWERSHAKER 2012/03/08 19:46:21
  • Elisa ✦ Knockout™ 2012/03/08 18:46:23
    Elisa ✦ Knockout™
    No i think it's cute as long as it's not a beauty pageant were they get exploited.
  • wilsonmja 2012/03/08 18:28:04
    wilsonmja
    I guess when she's 14 and pregnant because her parents are teaching her that sex appeal is important than more people will have a problem. For now it's just harmless, right?
  • ~Doll P... wilsonmja 2012/03/08 20:06:07
    ~Doll Princess~
    +2
    REALLY? Over lipstick? Little girls play with makeup..doesn't mean they're going up to be promiscous..
  • wilsonmja ~Doll P... 2012/03/08 20:08:48
    wilsonmja
    It's all about context. Of course, playing dress up with Mommy's clothes and makeup is a different thing. Well, I guess we are a culture obsessed with sex so we might as well just force it on them while they're young so they don't get delussional.
  • ~Doll P... wilsonmja 2012/03/13 05:39:04
    ~Doll Princess~
    Ehhhh, I don't think EVERYBODY is all about sex.I rather see a little girl sporting some lipstick-which is innocent by itself, then her dressed in revealing garments..
  • wilsonmja ~Doll P... 2012/03/13 06:16:54
    wilsonmja
    What is the purpose of lipstick? This is not a rhetorical question. Why do women where lipstick?
  • ~Doll P... wilsonmja 2012/03/13 06:19:32
    ~Doll Princess~
    Well,I can only speak for myself,but I wear makeup to complete a look.=D It has nothing to do with sex.XD
  • wilsonmja ~Doll P... 2012/03/13 22:16:42
    wilsonmja
    It has to do with you enhancing your sexual attraction whether you believe it or not. That's what it ultimately comes down to. If you didn't care about looking sexually attractive, you wouldn't bother "completing your look."
  • Dahvie 2012/03/08 18:08:17
    Dahvie
    When their lipstick costs more than my car, i think they're allowed to wear it.
  • Aksana 2012/03/08 17:53:15
    Aksana
    Nasty
  • ryuu khan 2012/03/08 17:33:53
    ryuu khan
    +1
    its just lipstick its not like shes wearing a 2 inch skirt and a thong and wearing a she throu shirt
  • synful90 2012/03/08 17:03:32
    synful90
    +2
    I used to wear play makeup when I was little. It's not like anything too dangerous to make a big fuss over. Although having shiloh always looking like a little boy is a little disconcerting but to each his own. I'm not bothered by their parenting nor do I care I have seen worse.
  • in vino veritas 2012/03/08 17:02:41
  • Maria 2012/03/08 16:39:55
    Maria
    +2
    awe don't take anything too seriously...most kids try little lip stick on don't mean anything bad..mother and daughter thing...who knows this kid using strawberry lip stick is that wrong? oh please...
  • Lonna121593 2012/03/08 15:44:13
    Lonna121593
    +1
    she isnt giving her kid a tat or anything its just a bit of makeup. harmless besides most girls want to be like their moms. its totally normal or young girls to wear makeup to match their moms.
  • baby shaker 2012/03/08 15:35:47
    baby shaker
    Like hell
  • rimoyen52 2012/03/08 14:51:34
    rimoyen52
    +2
    I see absolutely no problem with letting a 3 year old wear lipstick. It's part of the learning experience. I remember trying on my mom's clothes, shoes and makeup when I was very very young. I'm now 60, healthy and active. I credit my mom with being sensible and allowing me to learn about life in a warm and protected environment. I have to wonder about all those uptight puritanical idiots who see wrong everywhere - they probably were screwed up because nothing was allowed in their lives.
  • Jessie 2012/03/08 14:43:52
    Jessie
    That is freaking screwed up
  • ready46xwu 2012/03/08 13:41:43
    ready46xwu
    During 'dress-up' or play time!
    don't dress ur lil girls to 'intice' @ such a young age!
    Jolie & Brad r the exception! (dumb asses)!
  • harasni... ready46xwu 2012/03/09 01:34:43
    harasnicole
    Who's Vivienne (or her parents) trying to "entice?" It's just a little lipstick.
  • Freeranger 2012/03/08 13:30:45
    Freeranger
    Just curious, did anyone check Pitt too? Talk about early conditioning.......sheesh.
  • Maci 2012/03/08 12:33:15 (edited)
  • Bat Outta Hell 2012/03/08 10:29:02
    Bat Outta Hell
    +1
    Maybe it's just me, but red lipstick on a 3-year-old? It wasn't long ago i myself was a child and me wearing makeup at that age was out of the question.. For that matter, she's THREE! She doesn't yet understand the concept of applying make-up to accentuate your features, therefore there's no reason for her to wear it to begin with.. One accentuates to be looked at, or seem flirtacious - whatever the reason makeup is not only a personal gratification, it draws the attention of the opposite sex as well, and this 3-year-old does NOT need the attention of men. So WHY allow her to wear it?!

It's ridiculous, IMO.
  • JAngie 2012/03/08 09:23:50
    JAngie
    +1
    i think wearing lipstick is not harmful and not horrible. I have kids too and i know the reason and trouble while your kid forces to do something that even you don not desire.

But still i think we must guide our children girls not to wear lipstick in such a younger age, because they remain no more Belle and innocent. Their face look like ladies.
  • Bruno Costa 2012/03/08 07:39:54
    Bruno Costa
    +1
    Horrible.
  • Abbas A Abbas 2012/03/08 06:12:10
    Abbas A Abbas
    Wearing lipstick is gud to a fimale baby

Because it`s makes her Beauty and lovely people.
  • NeverShoutLeesy 2012/03/08 05:14:38
    NeverShoutLeesy
    I used to cake that crap on when I was little my mom let me wear as much makeup as I wanted as long as I didn't look like a clown. I'm not allowed anymore by the time I was 6.5 I kinda justed stopped wearing and my no longer lets me now cause I guess it was just for play. All I wear is lipgloss and on special occasions eyeliner and mascara.
  • Abel Garcia 2012/03/08 05:14:12
    Abel Garcia
    its not good at all have you ever seen the movis, the sitter.
  • harasnicole 2012/03/08 04:44:46
    harasnicole
    +3
    I'll say what I said in the original poll: I can't even tell she's wearing any. And besides, my niece likes to wear her mother's (my sister's) makeup. It'll be a light coating of blush, eye shadow, but instead of lipstick she'll wear lip gloss. She's not allowed to wear it outside their home unless she's coming over to mine, and her psyche is perfectly intact. It's not over-sexualizing the child. I played with my mom's makeup as a child, too, and nothing about me is skewed. I'm as normal as a person can be, whatever that is. It's part of growing up.

2014/12/25 19:58:39