PUBLIC OPINION > Texting Is Almost as Good as Talking

You don't have to look hard to see that texting has become a primary form of communication, but it might surprise you to learn that an increasing number of people prefer it over talking on their cellphone -- even older people, though not as much. Is it really an ideal form of communication, or is it just a matter of convenience? We asked the public which form is preferable.

We want to point out one thing before we jump to conclusions: Based on comments, many people who voted "talking" seemed to imply that they prefer talking in person, as opposed to talking on the phone. However, even with that caveat, we were impressed by how many people voted for "texting." Just under half of the respondents prefer texting to talking, and assuming at least some of the voters who meant "in person" talking would have changed their vote if we'd been more specific, it's probably more.

Teens Love Texting

Do you really need us to point this out to you? Of course not. But we do want to bring up just how significant this difference is. Nearly two-thirds of teens prefer texting, while less than 10% of the oldest voters prefer it. However, the drop was pretty steep. Almost half of the 35-44 group prefer texting by now, possibly as a result of having kids...

Parents Still Prefer to Talk

Or maybe not. Parents were less partial to texting than the 35-44 group, but evenly matched with the 45-54 group. It almost seems like having kids makes people less likely to prefer texting -- don't parents want to hear their kids' voices on ocassion? -- though it's very hard to separate it from the age demographic in this instance.

Men Don't Text as Much

This was a minor difference, but everything else just seemed to be tied too closely to age. Female voters were about 6% more likely to prefer texting. It's debatable as to whether or not women actually talk more than men (there are conflicting studies) but if we had to single out one gender as the authority on cellphone use, well...

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about texting and talking. We'd love to hear from you!

• GLaDOS 2012/06/06 16:41:30 (edited)
    GLaDOS
    +6
    It's like typing. You have the possibility of editing, you can hold several conversations at once, relatively competently, and don't have to deal with the nastiness of actual confrontation, for good or ill. No real "yelling" you have to listen to, or anything like that. It's impersonal, it's convenient, and you can go about your life while relegating the person you're "texting" to an occasional thought, instead of focusing your attention on them.

If for no other reason than the fact that I respect the people I associate with more than that; I still prefer talking.

I also loathe txt tlk, and find it absolutely ridiculous in any instance. It's going to retard future generations' linguistic skills.

• BigRed 2012/06/06 17:16:13
    BigRed
    +1
    Depends on the situation. If its too long to text, I will call to get it over with. But texting is fine by me and I'm 42
  • *flykid* 2012/06/06 17:13:48
    *flykid*
    +1
    texting
  • harasnicole 2012/06/06 16:58:30
    harasnicole
    +2
    I'd rather text. I say a lot more writing words than I do saying them.
  • Jason 2012/06/06 16:49:07
    Jason
    I'm 16 and I prefer talking
  • Sweetness 2012/06/06 16:42:53
    Sweetness
    +1
    I think talking is better..
  • GLaDOS 2012/06/06 16:41:30 (edited)
    GLaDOS
    +6

• EmoKiss:3 GLaDOS 2012/06/06 19:13:26
  • GLaDOS EmoKiss:3 2012/06/06 19:21:06
    GLaDOS
    If that is in regard to the video, I agree.
  • Meep GLaDOS 2012/06/07 04:23:51
    Meep
    I do enjoy texting myself, but I prefer face-to-face talking more than either. As long as that's possible, I will take talking in person over talking through electronics any day.
  • GLaDOS Meep 2012/06/07 16:11:53
    GLaDOS
    +1
    The only time I text someone is when I'm actually on a computer, and instant messaging them. Of course, I rarely know that they're actually on a phone, because I am more patient with IM's. It means they're at home, and may be dealing with children, or something. But, if I know that they're on a phone, I'm actually more impatient, because if they take several minutes to respond to me, it shows me that something they are doing is more important than our conversation without so much as a, "One moment." That will irritate me faster than anything, because it shows no respect for me in a conversation.

Phones and text are both vile with regard to etiquette, people forget their manners left and right, for both the people on the other end, and those around them.
  • Meep GLaDOS 2012/06/07 18:38:05 (edited)
    Meep
    +1
    Well said.
    Love the username, by the way.
  • GLaDOS Meep 2012/06/08 02:24:18
    GLaDOS
    Thank you.
  • Delta GLaDOS 2012/06/07 14:42:16
    Delta
    Mostly pathetic and hilarious, wonder if she continues to text after that.
  • GLaDOS Delta 2012/06/07 16:06:17
    GLaDOS
    Well, she was thoroughly humiliated that the video went viral, and was on the news telling teenagers not to "Walk and Text," because it's dangerous.
  • MERRYCHRISTMAS 2012/06/06 16:41:25
    MERRYCHRISTMAS
    i hate talking on the phone, much rather text. besides, you cant talk and listen to music or watch tv/movies at the same time. well not properly anyhoo.
  • Andy MERRYCH... 2012/06/06 16:43:12
    Andy
    Yeah i so agree with you..half of the time you wont get a topic to talk on...but while texting you get a dozen of them...
  • Rockangel420 2012/06/06 16:40:35
    Rockangel420
    +1
    Much easer to text than sit on the phone all day:-)
  • Elizabeth 2012/06/06 16:36:11
    Elizabeth
    Its better than talking.
  • cm 2012/06/06 16:26:29
    cm
    sometimes

2014/09/20 14:11:57