PUBLIC OPINION > Teens Say Dealing With Dirty Diapers Is the Worst Baby Duty

Having a baby isn't always a picnic -- especially if you're young and the pregnancy is unexpected. Even though most teens agree that having a baby right now would be a "disaster," a majority of sexually active teens admit that they've had sex without protection. To remind people that raising a baby is no joke, we asked you all what the worst baby duty was. Check out the infographic below to see who said what...

• Mandy 2013/07/02 18:43:38
    Mandy
    +14
    They are all wrong. The sleep deprivation is the worst thing. Everything else can be dealt with, but if you're short on sleep, you'll be short on patience, short on energy, and high on stress.

• Wtown 2013/07/28 08:25:06
    Wtown
    Diapers
  • Solo Nene 2013/07/22 03:29:50
    Solo Nene
    Crying
  • novelistgirl94 2013/07/21 17:34:07
    novelistgirl94
    I work in day care and change anything from 6 to 16 diapers per change, 2-3 times a day at least. It is definitely not the worst part. The worst part is the throw up. That is so gross. I can't stand puke.
  • Cap 2013/07/16 04:13:41 (edited)
    Cap
    Diapers? That's absurd. First of all, most of the time diapers are only wet, not poopy, and dealing with a wet diaper is a very slight inconvenience. Let's be generous and say that what those giving that answer meant was "Diapering", which includes all kinds of diapers and, more importantly, what is usually the more odious part of changing a poopy diaper, cleaning the little tyke up (particularly girl tykes, whose poop collects in recesses that can be difficult to swab clean). But, even at that, the only time I found changing/diapering in and of itself to be anything more than merely tedious was during spells of diarrhea. I was lucky, though, in that I only rarely had to deal with really squirmy kids, the ones I laid on their backs generally stayed that way until I was done.

Crying? That's what music was for. I never had a kid whose crying could outlast my Walkman. Besides, my exasperation was always mixed with sympathy for the little ones, it wasn't as if they cried out of enjoyment of their situation.

Somebody on her has answered "sleep deprivation", and with that I have to concur. Fortunately, we were a two parent household and sleep deprivation never got too bad, though I was notorious amongst my kids for dropping off to sleep while reading to them (though they alwa...

Somebody on her has answered "sleep deprivation", and with that I have to concur. Fortunately, we were a two parent household and sleep deprivation never got too bad, though I was notorious amongst my kids for dropping off to sleep while reading to them (though they always wanted me to and I still glow at the thought of the joy they'd show when reading time would begin. You'd think my kids would be grateful enough at their upbringing that they'd have already made me a grandfather (like my three brothers). I could easily give SH up for that.
  • Marianne 2013/07/15 09:21:13
    Marianne
    I understand well those who must deal all day long with dirty diapers and crying - and still do their duties, and deal additionally with sleep deprivation over longer periods, will often be stressed and suffer.

But many forget that child labour is not only painful, but can cause traumas and involve complications and health risks. Additionally, up to 80% of all moms have symptoms of "Baby Blues" during the first weeks after childbirth, which can turn into a serious postnatal depression.

Last but not least, if the baby has serious health problems, it can be one of the most traumatising experiences for parents.

The joys of having children always involve much responsibility, devotion, sacrifices, worries and expenses, and nobody can foretell what happens in future.
  • John Paul Allen 2013/07/10 17:08:45
    John Paul Allen
    Teens with babies are the worst.
  • Jim Cobabe 2013/07/10 15:02:11
    Jim Cobabe
    To be perfectly honest, dealing with teens tends to be the worst parental duty.
  • Scream 2013/07/10 12:48:07
    Scream
    Nappies are no problem. The crying is something I wouldn't be able to deal with.
  • annie trinder 2013/07/10 07:52:00
    annie trinder
    +1
    Hi annie rose Trinder 20
  • hailey b :) 2013/07/10 05:12:43
    hailey b :)
    I work at a daycare in the baby rooms, dirty diapers are like....nothing...NOTHING
  • Ozymandias 2013/07/10 03:09:23
    Ozymandias
    Well then maybe they should start educating other teens about how being a teenage parent isn't all it's cracked up to be.
  • scbluesman13 2013/07/09 19:35:05
    scbluesman13
    Dealing with diaper changing was one of my favorite things with my little girl. Sure it can get messy sometimes, but you had this few minutes of time where you could make funny faces, say silly things, tickle them, or whatever. Just have some fun communication while you changed their diaper. Maybe sing them a song. Infants LOVE this kind of interaction, and if all you're focusing on is how smelly the diaper is, you're missing the bigger picture.

The worst part about raising a baby is losing sleep. When you are sleep deprived your sex life suffers, work quality suffers, as does everything else. What little energy you have you're trying to refocus on keeping your baby safe, comfortable, well nourished, and happy. You take only a little pleasure in knowing that eventually you'll get another 7 hour sleep spot... maybe in a year or so.
  • codie.paul 2013/07/09 19:31:19
  • XenaElise 2013/07/09 17:27:53
    XenaElise
    +1
    Kids these days can be so stupid D: I'm 13, and I can't imagine ever having sex before marriage, at the very least until I know for sure I can support a baby incase protection fails. I have babysitted my baby neice (4 months) and I'd have to say the worst was the crying, I hated hearing her cry and not being able to figure out what to do about it. And the vomiting wasnt very fun either, but overall babies are a wonderful joy for when you can support them and are a adult.
  • Lisa 2013/07/09 02:17:33
    Lisa
    +1
    You have to be really stupid if you think the worst part of having a baby is changing diapers. How about the fact that you now have someone who depends on you 24/7? Your English teacher is not gonna care if you're not prepared for the exam b/c your 3 month old was up all night with an earache. Want to go to the prom? Forget it. The money will be needed for diapers, food, immunizations, etc. Girls night out? Ditto. Think that's bad? Medicines cost about $30 a pop. That's IF you have insurance. Emergency room visits start at about $250 WITH insurance. Thinking of calling in sick because your 3 year old was up coughing all night? You better have enough sick days yourself. What I'm saying guys is that diapers will be the least of your concerns. Be responsible and practice safe sex!!! Or better yet, wait!!!
  • scblues... Lisa 2013/07/09 19:36:17
    scbluesman13
    Some good advice.
  • Zoomie 2013/07/08 22:10:18
    Zoomie
    When they were infants, the dirty diapers was probably the worst constant. The only thing worse I can think of was worrying about injury and such that they might suffer (i.e. my oldest, when she was only 7 or 8 months old, was sitting next to me on our couch, when she suddenly just dived for something down on the floor, face first...luckily I was watching her and caught her...they have no fear or understanding of how they can injure themselves).
    When they got older, worst was anything that hurt their feelings or frightened them that upset and hurt me! When my daughter thought she'd been abandoned at a bookstore because I was out of sight of her, when my daughter had to have stitches removed from her lip following surgery when she was only a year old; when my daughter came home from the child next door's house after the older child there told my daughter she couldn't play with the other kids and had to leave...I STILL think of these things and they still hurt, and my daughters are now 27 and 29 years old.
  • bosshog22 2013/07/08 18:27:41
    bosshog22
    +2
    If two teens have sex they need to realize the potential consequences of their actions. Wait till you've got an idea what you want to do in life and ask yourself is having a baby worth my life being put on hold
  • David (oYo) 2013/07/08 14:32:24
  • PattyM 2013/07/07 20:55:25
    PattyM
    Throw up is not a real problem. Neither are wet diapers.

But when the baby has a diaper full of poop, Oh my God what a stench!
  • Grammar Freak 2013/07/07 16:33:44
    Grammar Freak
    Good incentive not to have one then, I'd say.
  • Betty jo 2013/07/07 15:11:59
    Betty jo
    That are correct next I think would be throwing up.
  • kelsieilesha 2013/07/07 05:58:08 (edited)
    kelsieilesha
    I've taken care of my aunts kids when they were babies, and I agree somewhat.
    Dirty diapers AND throw up are the worst.
    Maybe it'll be different when it's my own kid. Who knows?
    I function very well with little to no sleep... and I can handle the crying...
    I just cannot handle the poop and puke.
  • Whodini 2013/07/07 03:57:12
    Whodini
    +2
    Not even close. Staying up all night to deal with a sick infant is much, much worse.
  • Shawn 2013/07/06 19:43:26
    Shawn
    +1
    I think it would be missing out in sleep I'm 20 but I try to get my 8-9 hours of sleep
  • Ben Richards 2013/07/06 05:37:32
    Ben Richards
    +1
    If that's what teens are saying, then perhaps teens shouldn't be having babies. Babies are a fulltime lifelong commitment. To me, the worst baby duty was worrying when they got sick.
  • Neimara 2013/07/06 00:50:13
    Neimara
    +3
    Well then if they don't want to deal with diapers, stop having unprotected sex!
  • kimmie Neimara 2013/07/07 00:46:49
    kimmie
    +1
    But a condom can break , The only way to not worry about dirt diapers the sleepless night and the crying is not to have sex when he or she is committed to that person until marriage !
  • Neimara kimmie 2013/07/07 01:05:38
    Neimara
    +1
    Marriage=misery.
  • Grammar... Neimara 2013/07/07 16:35:12
    Grammar Freak
    +2
    Hallelujah!
  • Tikiteddy101 2013/07/05 22:28:38 (edited)
    Tikiteddy101
    +3
    I'd have to agree with almost everyone else, that crying is most annoying. Sure, 'poopy diapers' are annoying to deal with, but when a baby cries, it could go on forever. And plus, you might not know why the baby's crying, which, then, you have to figure out if you've already fed the baby, give 'em a nap...etc. Diaper duty is tough, but crying is way tougher.
  • Rayinne 2013/07/05 19:10:12
    Rayinne
    I agree with Mandy but for me the constant crying to an insomniac like me it's like nails going down on a chalkboard when I cant sleep I get edgy and easily aggravated
    but this is so cute I loved this video
  • PrinceO... Rayinne 2013/07/05 21:14:23
    PrinceOfPolaris
    +1
    I applaud dad for that but how is he getting out of there? ;-)
  • Rayinne PrinceO... 2013/07/06 05:39:43
    Rayinne
    +1
    LOLL I have no idea I've been in that sort of situation once and slept with my baby in her crib so I suppose he did that too ; D stay awesome ♥♥♥
  • Grammar... Rayinne 2013/07/07 16:41:25
    Grammar Freak
    What a great dad!
    He would have done better to put her in his bed with him though, then just wait until she's sleeping hard. Much easier situation to deal with.
    ;-)
  • Rayinne Grammar... 2013/07/07 16:49:15
    Rayinne
    +1
    Loll IKR? stay awesome : )
  • Ayushee 2013/07/05 18:55:58
    Ayushee
    +2
    Handling a crying baby is most difficult. Babies can't express their problems in any other way than crying and it's same difficult to identify their problems even if they are crying because they cry whenever they have any problem and even when they don't. And I must say,watching babies crying is really a tough job!
  • MikeWon 2013/07/05 18:43:32
  • MarcBerger 2013/07/05 17:37:57
    MarcBerger
    Then teens have no business having babies. There are no "worst responsibilities" when raising a baby. It is all a responsibility and if you can't handle it then don't have one. If you want to know, yes, I changed my kids diapers and woke up in the middle of the night to tend to them while my now ex slept.
  • Sasha MarcBerger 2013/07/05 19:03:27
    Sasha
    It's not like the teens they were questioning want to have a baby... They just don't think, have sex, and get pregnant. Then, they're left with no good choices: abortion, adoption, or keeping it. No teen in a proper state of mind would ask to have a baby.

2014/07/30 00:01:27