PUBLIC OPINION > Smoking in Cars Is Your Right

The United Kingdom is cracking down on tobacco one rule at a time. The British Medical Association's Board of Science has proposed to "achieve a tobacco-free society by 2035," and as part of the push they're trying to pass a ban on smoking in cars. While doctors support a total ban on smoking in cars, some have suggested only banning smoking when there are children or passengers in the car.

So far, there have been no serious pushes for anything like this in America, but the idea could very well ignite sparks in the States. But when we took the proposal to SodaHeads to find out what they thought, there didn't seem to be much more than some light kindling in the crowd.

Should It Be Illegal to Smoke in Your Own Car?

57% Reject Smoking Bans for Cars

We felt it would be appropriate to separate the "yes" vote into the three options the U.K. was considering, but even then, the "no" votes outnumbered all of the bans combined. For the most part, it was a simple issue of what many considered to be unnecessary government involvement. One clever commenter wrote, "Government needs to butt out!!"

As for the different ban proposals, a ban on smoking with children in the car was definitively more popular than either a total ban or a ban on smoking with adult passengers. We also discovered that smoking with children in the car is already outlawed in several Australian territories, though an Australian commenter noted, "People still do it anyway."

Nonsmokers Step In

While smokers were obviously opposed to the ban in large numbers, the bans still failed with nonsmokers by 2%. One respondent wrote, "I have never smoked and never will. That being said, who am I to dictate what someone else can or cannot do in their own vehicle? If it's not illegal, it is none of my or anyone else's business." (Side note: There were four smokers who voted in favor of a complete ban.)

Kids Call It Quits

It looks like kids don't want their parents smoking with them in the car -- teen voters were actually in favor of the ban. Only 37% of them thought it should be completely legal, while the rest were divided between the different types of bans. Most of them opted for the lighter rule: Only ban it when they're around.

Lawmakers Like the Ban

Broken down by career industry, the strongest supporters of some kind of ban on smoking in the car were those who listed themselves in the legal field. Of the five voters who work in legal, only one of them rejected the ban. The other four were split between a kids-only band and a total ban.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our original poll about smoking bans. We'd love to hear from you!

• JohnnyRudick 2011/12/05 05:09:25
    JohnnyRudick
    If you are alone of with someone as stupid as you are.
    You bet.
    If you have someone in the car who cannot have a voice in the matter?
    That is abuse.
  • jere.chievres 2011/11/30 12:55:10
    jere.chievres
    It distracts attention, I have witnessed accidents coused by smokers dropping lit cigarettes in their lap or the floor of the care and trying to retrieve it, one Lady in my town was killed buy such an idiot who crossed the lane and hit her car.
  • Tony ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2011/11/25 06:30:58
    Tony ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +1
    Smoke em if you got em. I'm sick and tired of the governments BS.

smoke up
  • spidermonkey™POTL~PWCM~JLA☮Paul
    +1
    I don't smoke, but I have friends that do and I think it's their choice!!! Good Grief what else is the government going to order us to do or not do! Makes me so mad!!!
    I m so mad animated
  • jellycakes999- BN-8 2011/11/22 19:30:12
    jellycakes999- BN-8
    +2
    If the person who owns the car says you can, then you can.
  • jere.ch... jellyca... 2011/11/30 12:56:19
    jere.chievres
    Not in my car or house!
  • jellyca... jere.ch... 2011/12/01 23:45:04
    jellycakes999- BN-8
    +1
    Agreed! My dad didn't listen to my mom when she said not to. Now we have five or six burn marks in the backseat and floor of the car!
  • Kelly Yung 2011/11/22 19:09:26
    Kelly Yung
    of course it should be, you spend thousands you should be able to do what you want in your car, i think this smoking thing is going way too far, you cant do anything nowadays without having to think if its alright, what are we? robots? thats what theyre trying to make us into!
  • Cheryl Millard 2011/11/22 17:07:47
    Cheryl Millard
    +2
    Yes mostly, If a person does not have minor children with them or others who are medically effected by it or just personally object, then they should have the right to smoke providing they are mature to own all their mess and litter and have a little more respect for others and the environment we share, while being attentive behind the wheel.
    BUT I HATE IT WHEN THEY BLOW THEIR SMOKE OUT THE WINDOW ONLY TO HAVE MY CARS VENTILATION SYSTEM SUCK IT IN FOR ME TO BREATHE, DAMN ROLL UP THE WINDOW AND BREATHE THE SECOND HAND SMOKE YOURSELF!
    Driving along throwing their still lit butts out the window as to not dirty their car up and subjecting others to seeing your lack of consideration all along the roads,trails etc, not to mention the fires that are started every year that cost the tax payers money, so rude and ignorant.
    But I am talking about the rude smokers.
    I also have many friends who smoke and the majority are very respectful of my nonsmoking needs even going as far as putting out the cigarette out in their house or car to which I gently object out of respect to being in their domain, I have never been a smoke, I never liked the smell, the taste or the long list of serious health risks associated with smoking. Not to mention the various costs.
  • Tony 2011/11/22 17:07:40
    Tony
    +1
    DEFINE "PRIVATE PROPERTY" IN CONTEXT OF A MOBILE PRIVATE VEHICLE ON PUBLIC PROPERTY.
  • Dalia 2011/11/22 17:04:14
    Dalia
    +1
    Smoking it's your choice but your right to smoke stops when the right to breathe of others starts
  • Salonje 2011/11/22 16:58:43
    Salonje
    +1
    Smoking in my car is my right...why would that bother anyone else?
  • Anna E 2011/11/22 16:42:42
    Anna E
    +3
    Gov't says it's illegal to drive without seatbelts, drive and text/phone, drive under the influence, etc. I don't see a big difference.
    I don't care what people do when they're by themselves, but when it involves other people, especially kids, I care.
    And people wonder why the incidences of asthma and allergies are waaay over what they were decades ago. DUH

Besides that, peoples religions tell them what to do and they don't even blink.
    And people snivel when the gov't does something of benefit to everyone, and people have nothing to say when gov't messes with stuff that doesn't involve them personally.

Grow up.
  • John T. 2011/11/22 16:34:53
    John T.
    +2
    Only if you are the only one in the car. Other wise you are forcing your smoke on others and especially on very young children who can’t complain.
  • ren 2011/11/22 15:30:53
    ren
    +2
    Of course. Unless theres children in the car. Than it get's rid of there right of Life and the pursuit of happiness. Im sure the kids aren't Happy if there coughing all the time from second hand smoke just like second hand smoke can kill said children or turn there lungs into blackened organs. Your right to smoke is gone as soon as it harms children.
  • Pasquinel ren 2011/11/22 16:29:04
    Pasquinel
    +2
    Uh...my parents both smoked in the car when I was a kid, and in the home and at the restaurants. I never coughed from second hand smoke, healthy today, able to work my manual labor construction job and smoke myself. My sister who grew up in the same household and who doesn't smoke at all never had a problem with my parents second hand smoke nor my brother. My mother is on her mid sixties and still smokes. Bleeding heart liberals began the smoking bans because they can't breath without figuring out ways to get into everyone elses business. All these changes in lifestyles are brand new to society and are intrusive. People have been smoking for centuries and noone until liberals were born, set out to totally do away with it. Now their trying to incorporate THIRD hand smoke, wth! I say smoke up if you desire to. libs should build themselves a utopia somewhere where there is no power, no trash, no cars, no animal control, open bank accounts (because everyone elses money is everyone elses money), and definitely no churches...the list goes on and on. Do that and get the hell out of my life.
  • ren Pasquinel 2011/11/22 16:57:51
    ren
    +2
    Everyone who smokes has lungs that are damaged even if it's only a little. Liberals aren't the only ones trying to control peoples lives. So are conservatives with there anti abortion ban and anti Homosexual problems. When your rights harm others rights than that is when the law should do it's job.
  • Pasquinel ren 2011/11/23 00:39:03 (edited)
    Pasquinel
    +4
    I'm a conservative, and against abortion except for extreme situations such as rape, but I won't tell anyone not to abort...that's their business. The only problem I have with homosexuality is their constant need to annoy people by talking about it to no end and making a show of it like with gay pride parades. You want to be gay be gay, I'm straight, but don't need a parade. Same with smoking, I don't care if I have a tad bit of residue on my lungs, I had em looked at when I collapsed one a few years ago and was told they looked great and that was after smoking a pack a day for 20 years. The second hand smoke idea is another means of infringing on the right of an individual to smoke or a business to not allow it in their own establishment.
  • GLaDOS ren 2011/11/25 08:59:48
  • ☂~Water... Pasquinel 2011/11/25 00:43:56
    ☂~WaterBabŸ~☂
    :)
  • GLaDOS ren 2011/11/23 13:13:57
    GLaDOS
    +3
    I coughed? Oh, what ever would I do without people like you to tell me what has harmed me through my life!
  • DDogbreath GLaDOS 2011/11/25 02:37:25
    DDogbreath
    +1
    Doctors tell us to "turn your head and cough" every couple of years... LOL
  • GLaDOS DDogbreath 2011/11/25 08:58:41
    GLaDOS
    +2
    I'm glad I'm not told to do that. >_>
  • Diddley Squat 2011/11/22 15:21:05
    Diddley Squat
    +5
    Where do I get to vote?

It's nobody's business if I smoke. I'm so tired of these smoke bans that I propose mandatory smoking for all adults. Maybe we can then compromise and leave it entirely, 100% to personal choice!
  • Pasquinel Diddley... 2011/11/23 02:46:27
    Pasquinel
    +2
    I find it amazing that if I wanted to open an establishment that serves food to only smokers I am blocked by dumb ass laws Where the hell did that power come from...let me check the constitution....nope, not there. Back off ass wipes your power thirst is getting on my last nerve!
  • coach k 2011/11/22 15:11:40
    coach k
    hell yeah
  • Jill 2011/11/22 14:55:59
    Jill
    +2
    It shouldn't be illegal; however, it is hard to understand why anybody would ever want to. It would make your car wreak and your clothes, hair, and whatnot stink even more. Smoker's don't think you can smell them, but you sure can.
  • Ella Ro... Jill 2011/11/22 15:44:03
    Ella Robbins
    +1
    Here's a 1990 article entitled, "I'd rather smoke than kiss." Non-smokers think you can't smell them, but you sure can! Their noisome rants about smell is even more stinky.

http://www.gaydeceiver.com/mi...
  • Jill Ella Ro... 2011/11/22 16:14:19
    Jill
    +2
    I guess that's the difference--I'd rather kiss than smoke.
  • Pasquinel Jill 2011/11/23 02:55:46
    Pasquinel
    +1
    We know we smell like we smoke and we know our cars smell like ash trays, but that doesn't give anyone the right to tell me whether or not to do it. You want to "suggest" to me it's smelly and not good for me fine, but leave it at that and stop with the friggin' laws banning it. People have been smoking in the world forever, but now we live in a world where whiners can go to politicians and for the sake of a vote they just make random laws that are one sided. Taxes on smoking keep going up too for another example of sticking it to the smoker.
  • Jill Pasquinel 2011/11/23 14:48:41
    Jill
    I never said to ban it---DId you read my answer? In fact, I'm a conservative who supports individual rights, including smoking in restaurants, bars, etc. It's no skin off my butt to put up with it, find a non-smoking establishment, or eat a tastier & healthier meal at home. Your assumptions are wrong and misguided. Did you look at my first sentence of my first statement--It should not be illegal.
  • Pasquinel Jill 2011/11/24 02:57:39
    Pasquinel
    +1
    I apologize if you misread my reply, I was not directing it at you I did read your post. I was talking in general about those that do impose their laws on a group of people acting as though they care about the individuals when they don't think twice about them except to further their career. They passed a smoking ban law without even allowing us smokers to vote on it because they were afraid it wouldn't pass.
  • João Gonçalves 2011/11/22 13:22:52
    João Gonçalves
    +2
    I dont agree on any ban. With kids in the car, one should not smoke, but that should be common sense, to some extent.
  • FAM of the OMC 2011/11/22 12:37:48
    FAM of the OMC
    +4
    Where does it all end? I absolutely oppose this ban and any similar ban. There are few things in the world I detest more than "Nanny State".
  • bettyboop 2011/11/22 12:23:18
    bettyboop
    +2
    I smoke, but not in my car. Reason being......it makes my car stink. I do not smoke in my house either for that very reason. When I need a smoke I wait till I can pull over at a rest stop or a store to get a drink. When I am home, I smoke on the porch or if the weather is brutal, in the garage. Even though I am a smoker, I hate being inside a car filled with smoke, and I can only imagine how a non-smoker feels.
  • Neko-chan 2011/11/22 12:15:51
    Neko-chan
    +1
    I'm glad. I didn't get to answer, but as long as there's no kids in there, I think it's ok. :)
  • James L... Neko-chan 2011/11/24 09:18:04
    James Locker
    +3
    We don't need LAWS to deal with that, common sense (& liberty) should trump any/all the Nanny-Staters opinions on the issue. I also don't give a fat rat's patootie if someone is a "health expert" - that doesn't give them the authority - NOR power, nor right - to infringe on MY liberty to have/partake/indulge in a personal vice (or for that matter several vices if I care to do so.)
    I smoke but I do so with serious moderation = I average 3-4 cigs a day = OR rather 1 to 1.5 packs - not per day, but per WEEK. So a carton normally lasts me... roughly 2 months.

I smoke outside on my back porch (I'm the only smoker in the house but I'd probably smoke outside anyway) Its typically when I'm taking the dog out, AND when I get in the car and drive.
    I consider it a form of 'anti-road rage precaution' & I'll be damned if I'll let any lawmaker tell me otherwise - If I have a non-smoker in my car I'll typical refrain from smoking unless it's a long-ish drive/trip, I may roll the window down OR smoke at a convenience store stop, restroom stop, etc.

And I try to arrange group trips so I have the smoker(s) in my car & the kiddies/asthmatics/etc in another vehicle -> it's called planning ahead = its not that difficult!

As for the person that said we should have to roll out windows up when smoking in a...

As for the person that said we should have to roll out windows up when smoking in a car - you'd be better off worrying about all the carbon monoxide/etc. coming out of the exhaust-pipes from all the cars/trucks' ahead of you, rather than the comparatively teeny-tiny bit of second hand cig smoke people are exhaling out their windows!!
  • Neko-chan James L... 2011/11/24 10:03:14
    Neko-chan
    +1
    I was too lazy to read all of that, sorry, but I didn't say you shouldn't smoke. I said I thought it was ok to smoke in a car.
  • Hannah 2011/11/22 12:03:41
    Hannah
    its just disgusting..but you can be nasty in your own car if you want. (not if theres kids or other passengers though! then its just rude)
  • Jesse Ford 2011/11/22 10:48:34
    Jesse Ford
    +3
    it's your car, do what you want in it.

2014/09/02 17:11:45