Public Opinion Puts the Planet First for Earth Day [INFOGRAPHIC]

SodaHead Infographics 2012/04/22 01:00:00
Earth Day was first celebrated in San Francisco in 1970 when activist John McConnell suggested it at a UNESCO Conference. It was quickly sanctioned by the United Nations, and has been celebrated every year since. Some aspects of environmentalism are the subject of heated political debate, but we wanted to know how the majority feels about the most basic eco-friendly advancements -- recycling, organics, alternative energy. The planet would be pleased with the results.

earth day sodahead

• M.C 2012/04/22 19:48:59
    M.C
    +12
    conservatives just dont care, and to think most of them think that their god made this planet for them and yet they dont want to take care of it, makes no sense to me.

• Captain Bacon 2012/05/18 05:04:59 (edited)
    Captain Bacon
    +1
    LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anything sanctioned by the United Nations...is a load of crap!!!
  • xXILoveVinnyBooXx 2012/05/15 22:38:36
    xXILoveVinnyBooXx
    Earth Day :D
  • aherbert 2012/05/12 20:49:03
    aherbert
    Hello … you have a choice? during that day African Americans paid the same amount of money to ride public transportation but was told to sit in the back of the bus … and if the bus got crowded and a white person needed a seat they would make the black in the back of the bus get up for that person to sit down … That is a violation of one’s civil rights and that is just wrong!
  • aggesyro 2012/05/11 12:46:44
    aggesyro
    we are at the beggining we must do more
  • BRIDGET 2012/05/11 07:57:46
    BRIDGET
    HYBRID
  • BRIDGET 2012/05/11 07:52:16
    BRIDGET
    I'D TAKE THE HYBRID
  • BRIDGET 2012/05/11 07:51:09
    BRIDGET
    +1
    WE DID NOT INHERIT THE EARTH FOR OURSELVES-WE'RE CARETAKERS FOR OUR CHILDREN.
  • BRIDGET 2012/05/11 07:47:23
    BRIDGET
    ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO, IN SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN, A BIOLOGIC SCIENTIST HAS ACTUAL DINOSAUR DNA. IT'S SUPPOSIDLY FROZEN AND UNDER STRICT PROTECTION-WE'LL JUST HAVE TO STOP AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS-BUT CLONING IS POSSIBLE NOW.
  • GERARD MARTIN 2012/05/10 10:31:36
    GERARD MARTIN
    The country has only been around a bit over 200 years or so. If we are now salvaging and recycling, can you imagine what it will be like in another 200 years?
  • Stormy 2012/05/10 01:52:18
    Stormy
    How about people get really serious about preserving the earth
    by : having less or no children, stop commuting to work over long distances, ideally live where you work, stop flying, just stop it altogether, and build smaller easier to heat homes. How about that ?
  • GERARD ... Stormy 2012/05/10 10:20:57
    GERARD MARTIN
    +1
    That is wishful thinking. It will never happen. Thomas R. Malthus warned us well over a hundred years ago, others have warned us and the "Club of Rome" warned us. After each warning, a little attention and some actions were taken which slowed the momentum, but those corrective actions also delayed the predictions that were to take place, which gave the naysayers ammunition to say: " See, those scientist and worrywarts misled us; their predictions never came to be". We see the same thing happening today with the Global Warning predictions.
  • Stormy GERARD ... 2012/05/10 14:21:56
    Stormy
    Well I'm starting with the "man in the mirror " I'm doing all the above mentioned and more and have been for nearly ten years now. But I agree with you. people are in denial about the dire predicament we're all in. Cognitive dissonance. The problems are too big for people to get their heads around.
  • bill stewart 2012/05/08 20:22:32
    bill stewart
    Www.thestew.info
  • Not-A-RINO 2012/05/05 03:45:17
    Not-A-RINO
    Earth Day to me is crap; The environmental movement has been hijacked by "watermelons" - people who are green on the outside and pure red on the inside; Most items are common sense such as recycling used motor oil, recycling pop bottles and cans, and turning off lights that are not being used.

I work on repossessed condos and houses in and around an extremely liberal area and can tell you some of the places I have been in aren't fit for pigs. However, I can tell you many of the former residents had recycle grocery bags, campaign paraphernalia for the Green Party, and other "earth-friendly" products in their homes. Somehow these fine folks thought soap and water, running a vacuum cleaner and using a litter box were not environmentally friendly. I am confident these same people all thought the government should require participation in Earth Day events.
  • El Prez 2012/05/04 17:19:49
    El Prez
    Why would nayone put a thief in charge. She makes too make poor decisions about her own life and can not be truster with the job.
  • Mark 2012/05/03 07:54:54
  • Bozette 2012/05/03 04:52:07
    Bozette
    +4
    I was brought up (by two very conservative parents) to reduce, reuse and recycle long before it was a slogan. We didn't just hop in the truck and go somewhere, trips were always combined and we always asked others (family and work) if they needed anything "down the line" as there is no sense making several trips when one will suffice. Back when there weren't bottle laws here, Dad had us cleaning up the cans and bottles campers and hunters left in the woods. If there was a way to get more use out of something, we were taught how to do it. Those lessons became lifelong habits.

Even hybrids and electric cars may be powered by fossil fuels as it is often coal powered plants that provide the electricity. If those who are considered to be more eco-friendly because they recycle more often or drive electric or smaller vehicles are consuming more and making more trips, they may have just as large or larger an impact on the environment than those that consume and drive less, but may not recycle as much. Not all recycling is, in fact, environmentally friendly.

Those who really want to make a difference, should be concerned not only with recycling, but consumption as well. In fact, consumption, of everything, not just fossil fuels, should be the first consideration.
    +3
    Here's a thought ..
    When I was young ..
    We RECYCLED (without using the word)
    we COMPOSTED our Food Waste (and all the manure from the barn too -- still do in fact)
    We put the Bottles out for the Delivery service to pick up, sanitize, and refill/return
    We WASHED Diapers .. (cloth ones)
    We used paper bags for MANY purposes too (including Crafts)
    We would save water in barrels ..
    We grew our own foods (garden and raise livestock)
    We didn't have Television or Cell Phone or Computer .. we played board games
    We used EVERY Bit of paper and REUSED Wrapping paper too
    When things were too small for the children .. we passed them along to others
    (always hand-me downs around)
    We made our own soaps, we wrung out towels and put them on the line to dry
    OUR Washing machines were Washboards ..
    (I've still got one too)
    and we used coupons, compared prices .. always did what we could
    We took old outfits, cut them apart, and made new things to wear ..
    and when things finally wore out .. RAG RUGS were what we made

There's NOTHING new here ..
    Folks CONFUSE a word "RECYCLE" and think it is somehow 'new' ..
    NEVER REALIZING ..

That the ones most conserving our resources .. are CONSERVATIVE Elders!
  • doofieg... sglmom 2012/05/03 06:37:33
    doofiegirl  BTO-t- BCRA-F ~PWCM~
    +3
    SGLMOM, YOU WOULD NEVER GUESS WHAT I FOUND YESTERDAY! A RAG RUG MY GRANDMOTHER MADE WHEN SHE AND MY GRANDFATHER FIRST MARRIED! IT'S ABOUT 6' X 9' , AND LAID IN THEIR FRONT ENTRY FOR OVER 70 YEARS!. PAPA JOE GAVE IT TO ME WHEN I WAS THERE ONE DAY. IF IT WEREN'T SUCH A TREASURE BOX OF MEMORIES, IT COULD STILL BE USED! A LITTLE FADED, BUT UNTORN!
  • sglmom doofieg... 2012/05/03 06:49:49
    +2
    WONDERFUL!
    (I've still got some of these rag rugs too .. and I actually put them out .. in rooms!)
  • doofieg... sglmom 2012/05/03 08:02:21
    doofiegirl  BTO-t- BCRA-F ~PWCM~
    +1
    I WILL USE MINE TOO WHEN THESE TEENAGERS ARE OUT OF THE HOUSE! THEY TEAR EVERYTHING UP! THEY HAVE EVEN DESTROYED SOME PAINTINGS MY MOM DID BY TAKING THEM OFF THE WALLS, AND LEAVING THEM ON THE FLOOR! KIDS THESE DAYS HAVE NO SENSE OF THE PAST AND IT'S VALUE IN OUR LIVES! THEY HAVE TRIED TO TEAR UP MY GREAT GRANDMOTHER'S DIARY TOO. IT IS A COLLECTION OF HER VIEWS ON LIFE FROM AN INVALIDS BED, AND MY SOURCE OF STRENGTH WHEN I WANT TO HAVE A PITY PARTY! THAT WOMAN HAD MORE COURAGE IN HER LITTLE FINGER THAN MOST PEOPLE I KNOW!
  • sglmom doofieg... 2012/05/03 08:07:49
    +1
    Such a shame ..
    I also had to hide the treasures of the PAST from my own children too ..
    They don't understand the meaning of what was passed down ..
    don't even respect those traditions and little things ..
    ONE DAY .. when they want it .. they'll be sad indeed ..
    It was their own faults .. to destroy these PRECIOUS MEMORIES.
  • Burning Bright Embers 2012/05/02 19:18:47
    Burning Bright Embers
    It is the only planet we have, we need to take care of it
  • GERARD ... Burning... 2012/05/10 10:25:26
    GERARD MARTIN
    It is not the only one we have. We are already investigating Mars.
  • Burning... GERARD ... 2012/05/11 19:52:37
    Burning Bright Embers
    This is the only planet we live on. Mars was investigated before, and was found to be uninhabitable.
  • gunner 2012/05/01 23:11:54
    gunner
    +1
    Wasn`t the day picked Lenin`s birthday ? He would be proud. He did his part to reduce the population too.
  • gkirmani 2012/04/30 18:23:59
    gkirmani
    +2
    Is our EARTH.we all are responsible...............and should take every care to save it with all its beauty and bounty
  • doc moto 2012/04/29 23:19:29
    doc moto
    +1
    Lets go with banning all cars and government; just stop the wheels that bind us! Get the rail from station to stores and tell all folks, it is time to ride your bikes, not motor bikes, but feet powered and maybe a few electric powered bikes! No more burning gas or diesel, nothing...Yes that means no planes, all air travel stops! Ships that burn coal can come and go and only nuke power, water power, and coal/natural gas/methane/geothermal power; no more diesel and gasoline powered nothing! No green house non-profit orgs allowed, band all of them and take their money and give to the hungry and homeless. No green-house crooks! No need for weather related laws and no foreign ships or planes allowed, none unless coal powered or solar! That would fix that and the rail road has to go back to coal and steam-run locomotives! That would slow a few things down and make people think! It did you! OKay, you are dismissed to go argue with yourself in-front of the mirror, not me, heck I just come up with the ideas, you work out the problems and complaints!
  • Trust Noone 2012/04/28 23:37:31
    Trust Noone
    +3
    Feel good BS
  • bmxschoolbus 2012/04/28 21:55:13 (edited)
    bmxschoolbus
    hi
  • gunner 2012/04/24 15:21:00
    gunner
    +3
    The first so called earth day was on the 100th anniversary of Lenin. I don`t honor Lenin. I think that considering the history of environuts. Like forcing Mc Donalds to swich to styrofoam packaging. Then later discovering what everyone else knew. Styrofoam is very bad for the environment. Or, Switching from paper to plastic bags. OOPs , plastic very bad for the environment. or global warming? Real science says otherwise. The so called 'green lightbulbs' ? When they break, they are highly toxic. No, I think it`s time for the squalling minority to hush, and let the rational run the show.
  • ppb 2012/04/24 14:30:09
    ppb
    +1
    if there is one thing we all know from politics no matter what your persuasion it is the power of the message in shaping attitudes and behaviors. Earth Day sends a powerful message which we all know in our heart and soul to be true that there are many things in this world that are infinitely more worthwhile than mere economic prosperity and a comfortable life

........................MONEY IS NOT THE ONLY METRIC..........................

....... LOVE YOUR PLANET AND PRACTICE NON-VIOLENCE TO IT AND ITS CREATURES AND PEOPLES...................
  • tedbear77 ppb 2012/05/08 03:31:07
    tedbear77
    SORRY, BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS HAVING A REAL, PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH JESUS CHRIST!!!!!!!!
  • PapaBC 2012/04/23 19:43:45
    PapaBC
    +3
    I have always put taking care of where I live first. I just do not want the Government - EPA - Busy Bodies screwing with me.
  • Angel OFire 2012/04/23 19:23:40
    Angel OFire
    does earth day really matter? I mean come on we all know the earth is kind of rooted,
  • baboula 2012/04/23 17:50:19
    baboula
    +1
    reycle always - hybrid no but I take that over electric anyday and other than being more expensive, organic is no better.
  • 2012/04/23 17:24:05
    +3
    I was taught as a kid both directly and indirectly (see they actually did teach me some good things in a public school) to mind my own business, if it didn't harm me stay out of others business. I also learned from bitter experience not to try and regulate others lives, as long as they were not directly hurting me.

okay as long as it is not hurting me, well define hurting me? anyway while many things we do can harm others indirectly there is no way to really know that for sure. unless you can put your finger on it and say you did this and this and hurt one of my rights to life liberty or property. of which if you could gives you a tort which can be settled in court.

recycle, reuse etc is good provided it is done intelligently. if it uses less energy and causes less pollution in the long run then just making a new batch of something I am all for it. but when it becomes a religous fervor then I draw the line. lbut how do we know? can we trust those in positions of power who have a profit motive to direct our thinking on such matters? could they have a conflict of interest in their advice?when regulations and restrictions are based on scaremongering and false science or phoney rhetoric I say go away you creepy little person!

but when these same creepy little persons decide to...

but when these same creepy little persons decide to get government to impose their values/ideas/ways on everyone else using teh power of the state based on personal opinion rather than sound science, then I have to ask what business is that of yours you creepy little person whether I drink pop, or eat fatty things or drink raw milk or grow my own food? the bible terms people who force their nose into other people's business, as busy bodies in other people's affairs and is condemned.,

anytime creepy little persons have to use scare tactics to get their agenda forwarded is a warning flag or red flag that they have no leg to stand on in their pursuit of protecting resources, I mean wildlife from human use I mean destruction. I guess we won't consider that wealth is created and there is no limit to that and that wealthier people have more money time and energy t to care for the enviroment. we won't consider that preposterous idea that helping third nations build wealth by innovation, ingenutiy and just plain getting out of the way by the creepy little persons with teh money and power, will help solve the problem teh sustainablility crowds keeps saying reducing wealth will solve. remember the spotted owl sham? or the piping plover scam in north carolina? well they are doing just fine without the restrictions that were put in place. in fact their numbers were on teh increase since they breed mostly in the plains and northeast coastal areas. very few nest in nc. they destroyed whole towns with this scam and did anyone go to jail or get sued? nope. loggers and miners lost their whole savings and wealth they built, did they compensate them for this regulatory taking (form of eminent domian)? nope.

and I won't even go into the enviromental impact to thrid world nations who try to develope. the greenies woudl rather they starve then hurt a tree.

rose
  • Sherlock Dog BL - a Gazillion 2012/04/23 16:15:01
  • Peru 2012/04/23 15:22:16
    Peru
    +3
    Recycling is a waste of time, effort, money, and other resources. Even if global warming were real and carbon dioxide were the culprit a simple carbon sink would be to stop recycling paper and just bury it.

Most of the people who "care so deeply" about the planet are fine with caring as long as it is done somewhere else. They'd be happy to cordon off huge tracts of Peruvian land as "rainforest" (which is a nice way of saying mosquito-infested jungle) because it's far away from home and they don't have to deal with the problem of the people who live there and can't get food, medical treatment, or basic transportation.

Considering all the people in the high jungle who are going to freeze to death this June, those who are going to be cultivating coca to make into the white powder you all like to snort so much (while contracting malaria and dengue), and the others who are suffering (like the couple who killed their children and committed suicide because they couldn't afford to feed them anymore), is it too much for me to suggest that you start caring about people first?
  • jmc07806-PWCM-JLA 2012/04/23 12:42:29
    jmc07806-PWCM-JLA
    +4
    Most of it is a political set up in order to control more money and power for politicians.

2014/10/25 16:12:17