PUBLIC OPINION > Public Breastfeeding Should Be a Civil Right

In 1999, Congress passed a bill that permitting women to breastfeed on Federal property, and as of 2009, 47 states have laws in place specifically permitting breastfeeding in public. However, despite the government's attitude toward the practice, it has frequently been met with resistance by establishments that are not comfortable with it -- restaurants, airlines, retail outlets. Now a group of Seattle mothers are trying to sponsor a local bill to make public breastfeeding a civil right, placing it in the same category as racial and gender discrimination. We asked the public if that would be a good move.

If Seattle courts are on the same page as the general public, it should be a no-brainer. Most people would like a law in place that makes it impossible for establishments to ask mothers to breastfeed outside or cover up. However, many respondents, even those who voted "Yes," pointed out that it's not difficult to bring a blanket. One commenter wrote, "I understand that it's a natural thing, but women could use some courtesy and put a blanket over said boob."

Conservatives Hesitate

A lot of voters seemed concerned that a woman's right to breastfeed might be compromised if it's not made a civil right, but conservative voters weren't so sure. This is probably because conservatives feel making it a civil right would infringe on an establishment's right to tell a woman to cover up.

Different Without Children

Parents generally voted along with the overall opinion, but among those who didn't have kids, there was a clear division. Respondents who wanted kids eventually were 5% more likely to support public breastfeeding as a civil right, while those who didn't want kids were 11% less likely.

Young People Don't Mind

Believe it or not, the youngest voters were most likely to support making public breastfeeding a civil right -- about 9% more than the overall. It could be that younger people lean left politically, but it's an interesting stat nonetheless.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about public breastfeeding. We'd love to hear from you!

• Mr Wayne 2012/04/09 13:38:40
    Mr Wayne
    +18
    Tell them not to "get upset" if someone stares while they do it.
    I know a guy at the VFW is fascinated by it and watches every time he sees it.
    He says the cops have given him a hard time about it.

If it becomes a "right" to do in public, then standing and watching them should be no more offensive than watching someone excersize their "right" to smoke in public.

• judge GLaDOS 2012/04/11 18:43:54
    judge
    The custom of carrying your wife over the threshold comes from there as the captured women were carried kicking and screaming over the threshold.
  • GLaDOS judge 2012/04/11 18:47:34
    GLaDOS
    That's one explanation.
  • judge GLaDOS 2012/04/11 19:26:47
    judge
    Europe offers too little privacy. http://sedulia.blogs.com/.a/6... european public urinals european public urinals european public urinals
  • GLaDOS judge 2012/04/11 19:55:26
    GLaDOS
    Huh... interesting concept.
  • judge GLaDOS 2012/04/12 02:39:43 (edited)
    judge
    Just saying I'm thankful for the privacy and modesty exhibited and available in this one nation under God.
  • GLaDOS judge 2012/04/12 10:52:41
    GLaDOS
    +1
    Well, when it comes to defecation, and urination, both which can harbor potentially dangerous bacteria, feed nasty critters, and the like, yes, I have to agree.
  • judge GLaDOS 2012/04/12 14:54:25
    judge
    Babies aren't a sexually transmitted disease.
  • GLaDOS judge 2012/04/12 17:27:16 (edited)
    GLaDOS
    I agree, they are, however, something that may require preventative care, should a woman not want a baby. It's why I stay stocked up on Vitamin C.
  • judge GLaDOS 2012/04/14 03:58:22
    judge
    Prevention after conception is too late.
    By Michael Walsh
    October 5 Today my life began. My parents do not know it yet. I am as small as the seed of an apple, but it is I already. And I am to be a girl. I shall have blonde hair and azure eyes. Just about everything is settled though. Even the fact that I shall love flowers.
    October 19 I have grown a little, but I am still too small to do anything by myself. My mother does just about everything for me. And what is odd - she still doesn't know that she is carrying me under her heart, and that she is helping me already, that she is even feeding me with her own blood. She is so good.
    They say that I am not a real person yet, that only my mother exists. But I am a real person, just as a small crumb of bread is truly bread. She is so good.
    October 23 My mouth is just beginning to open now. Just think, in a year or so I shall be laughing, and later talking. I know that my first word will be - mummy!
    October 25 My heart began to beat today all by itself. From now on it shall gently beat for the rest of my life, without ever stopping to rest. And after many years it will tire. It will stop, and I shall die.
    November 2 I am growing a bit every day. My arms and legs are beginning to take shape. But I have to wait a long time yet b...

By Michael Walsh
    November 2 I am growing a bit every day. My arms and legs are beginning to take shape. But I have to wait a long time yet before those little legs raise me to my mother's reaching arms, before those little arms will be able to gather flowers and hug my daddy.
    November 12 Tiny fingers are beginning to form on my hands. Funny how small they are. I shall be able to stroke my mummy's hair with them. And I shall take her hair to my mouth and she will probably say, 'oh, nasty!'.
    November 20 It wasn't until today that doctor told mum that I am living here under her heart. Oh, how happy she must be! Are you happy, mummy?
    November 25 My mummy and daddy are probably thinking about a name for me. But they don't even know that I am a little girl. They are probably saying Andy. But I want to be called Cathy. I am getting so big already.
    December 10 My hair is growing. It is smooth and bright and shiny. I wonder what kind of hair mummy has?
    December 13 I am just about able to see. It is dark around me. When mummy brings me into the world, it will be full of sunshine and flowers. I have never seen a flower, you know. But what I want more than anything to see is my mum. How do you look mum? I love you so much.
    December 24 I wonder if mum hears the whispering beat of my living heart? Some children come into the world a little sick. And then the delicate hands of the doctor perform miracles to bring them back to health. But my heart is strong and healthy. It beats so evenly; tup-tup, tup-tup, tup-tup. You'll have a healthy little daughter, mummy.
    December 28 Today my mummy chose to kill me!
  • GLaDOS judge 2012/04/14 15:49:05
    GLaDOS
    This is why IUD's are good to have, along with EC, or Vitamin C that prevents implantation.
  • judge GLaDOS 2012/04/15 00:25:43
    judge
    IUD's have been known to have grown into the skulls of the baby. Contraception is preventing the ovum from conception, abortion (murder) is any medication or procedure that discards a fertilized egg.
  • GLaDOS judge 2012/04/15 03:33:36
    GLaDOS
    Including miscarriage?
  • judge GLaDOS 2012/04/17 04:35:46
    judge
    Intentionally induced miscarriages are murder.
  • GLaDOS judge 2012/04/17 10:59:32 (edited)
    GLaDOS
    Not according to the bible if you've slept with someone other than their husband.

And ectopic pregnancies?
  • judge GLaDOS 2012/04/17 14:56:57
    judge
    Chapter and verse please.
  • TheNigh... judge 2012/04/10 11:23:29 (edited)
    TheNightFly
    Ya, just hide in our homes because it's our fault the nation is full of sexually frustrated perverts and psychological deviate.
  • judge TheNigh... 2012/04/11 03:06:50
    judge
    There is none righteous. No need to throw fuel on the fire though. none righteous
  • TheNigh... judge 2012/04/11 07:33:06
    TheNightFly
    Morality has nothing to do with religion, and vice versa.
  • judge TheNigh... 2012/04/11 16:43:36
    judge
    Without God, without being created in the image of God, there is no morality, only the animal kingdom and survival of the fittest. We send missionaries to Africa, now they send missionaries here.
  • TheNigh... judge 2012/04/12 03:11:10
    TheNightFly
    I've never seen God so I have no idea what you mean by "created in the image of God". I was created in the image if my parents, who taught me that moral behavior simply means showing respect to people who show it in return. All without ever taking me to church or cracking open a bible.
  • judge TheNigh... 2012/04/12 04:12:22
    judge
    We have an eternal spirit. Our faith in Christ will determine where we spend that eternity. Moral behavior is good, but not good enough. the only bridge to God the only bridge to God
  • TheNigh... judge 2012/04/12 04:22:09 (edited)
    TheNightFly
    Having faith in your make-believe won't make it come true. Bringing it up where it does not apply is disrespectful. Your obsession with the supernatural and the afterlife has distracted you from what matters in real life, which explains why you don't understand what moral behavior is.
  • judge TheNigh... 2012/04/12 04:31:39 (edited)
    judge
    John 8:32
    King James Version (KJV)
    32And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

That is why I told you what I did. You can get to heaven without going to church, but not without Jesus atonement. If we could earn salvation, Christ would not have had to die.

Because I respect you, I think you should know.
  • Watermusicranger 2012/04/09 22:34:34
    Watermusicranger
    +3
    I should have the right to look too.....Sorry Ladies....Stick a boob out, men will look.
  • Natalie... Watermu... 2012/04/10 02:16:44
    NatalieHolland
    +2
    immature...
  • ★misfit★ Watermu... 2012/04/10 02:29:56
    ★misfit★
    +1
    Sure you have the right. But if you have the right to look, she has the right to cuss you out. And her husband has the right to punch you in the face.
  • Scream ★misfit★ 2012/04/13 01:30:03
    Scream
    +1
    Or she could punch him in the face herself. That's what I'd do.
  • ★misfit★ Scream 2012/04/13 02:26:47
    ★misfit★
    So would I. I mean I know men like breasts, but there's a BABY. That's just creepy.
  • Drachen 2012/04/09 22:34:32
  • Joey 2012/04/09 22:34:23
    Joey
    +4
    I don't care one way or another . I just hate when people say ...

"It's ok since it is natural ." There are a hell of a lot of things that are natural but I don't want to see . Other than that I don't care about ladies do it. I just hate that defense .
  • Rdtourist Joey 2012/04/10 00:19:18
    Rdtourist
    +3
    Amen, guys peeing against a tree is perfectly natural, get you sex offender status for doing it too.
  • LadyBGood Rdtourist 2012/04/10 00:45:30
    LadyBGood
    LOL
  • Z 2012/04/09 22:16:42
    Z
    +1
    It should not be a right. It should be up to the owner of the property. If they feel that it interferes with business, they should be allowed to say no. On public property, it should be allowed. Otherwise, up to the owners discretion.
  • no one here 2012/04/09 22:15:24
    no one here
    +2
    YES - GOOD FOR BABY - GOOD FOR AMERICA
  • Wildflower66 2012/04/09 22:06:06
    Wildflower66
    +7
    A mother have a fundamental right and deserves to feed her baby at any place whenever her baby is hungry. No one cant stop it.
  • Occy 2012/04/09 21:56:26
    Occy
    +6
    Can I wear a fur coat, alligator shoes, and smoke up a storm ?
    Some things you just do not do in public..Okay ?
  • TheNigh... Occy 2012/04/09 22:08:54
    TheNightFly
    And everyone should just know what you mean by "some things".
  • AskZilla Occy 2012/04/09 23:09:38
    AskZilla
    +1
    Why is it that I'm gay and it doesn't bother me that woman breast feed in public? I like how upset it makes people, cause people are freakin' ridiculous.
  • Natalie... Occy 2012/04/10 02:17:35
    NatalieHolland
    feed a baby?
  • Occy 2012/04/09 21:50:40
    Occy
    +2
    I do not want to see anyones private parts put on public display.
    If women were smart enought to cover it up, it would be different.
    But please do not make me watch. I might throw up on you !!

2014/09/02 16:51:14