PUBLIC OPINION > Public Breastfeeding Should Be a Civil Right

In 1999, Congress passed a bill that permitting women to breastfeed on Federal property, and as of 2009, 47 states have laws in place specifically permitting breastfeeding in public. However, despite the government's attitude toward the practice, it has frequently been met with resistance by establishments that are not comfortable with it -- restaurants, airlines, retail outlets. Now a group of Seattle mothers are trying to sponsor a local bill to make public breastfeeding a civil right, placing it in the same category as racial and gender discrimination. We asked the public if that would be a good move.

If Seattle courts are on the same page as the general public, it should be a no-brainer. Most people would like a law in place that makes it impossible for establishments to ask mothers to breastfeed outside or cover up. However, many respondents, even those who voted "Yes," pointed out that it's not difficult to bring a blanket. One commenter wrote, "I understand that it's a natural thing, but women could use some courtesy and put a blanket over said boob."

Conservatives Hesitate

A lot of voters seemed concerned that a woman's right to breastfeed might be compromised if it's not made a civil right, but conservative voters weren't so sure. This is probably because conservatives feel making it a civil right would infringe on an establishment's right to tell a woman to cover up.

Different Without Children

Parents generally voted along with the overall opinion, but among those who didn't have kids, there was a clear division. Respondents who wanted kids eventually were 5% more likely to support public breastfeeding as a civil right, while those who didn't want kids were 11% less likely.

Young People Don't Mind

Believe it or not, the youngest voters were most likely to support making public breastfeeding a civil right -- about 9% more than the overall. It could be that younger people lean left politically, but it's an interesting stat nonetheless.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about public breastfeeding. We'd love to hear from you!

• Mr Wayne 2012/04/09 13:38:40
    Mr Wayne
    +18
    Tell them not to "get upset" if someone stares while they do it.
    I know a guy at the VFW is fascinated by it and watches every time he sees it.
    He says the cops have given him a hard time about it.

If it becomes a "right" to do in public, then standing and watching them should be no more offensive than watching someone excersize their "right" to smoke in public.

• FordCrews 2012/04/10 15:30:51
    FordCrews
    +4
    We need to go back to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness, all those after that are designed to divide us, and take away our freedoms.
  • thє вluє wαndєrєr 2012/04/10 15:12:44
  • LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH 2012/04/10 15:06:55 (edited)
    LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH
    +3
    PUBLIC BREASTFEEDING IS-NOT-PRIVATE-PARTS-EXHIBITI...

DEEP PLUNGING LOW CUT NECKLINE IS. GO AFTER THEM! I DARE YOU!

PLUNGING LOW CUTS NECKLINES PLUNGING LOW CUTS NECKLINES PLUNGING LOW CUTS NECKLINES PLUNGING LOW CUTS NECKLINES
  • Ahrtal LADY LI... 2012/04/10 20:39:25
    Ahrtal
    OMG!!!! Zombies are REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Osaka LADY LI... 2012/04/12 01:43:39
    Osaka
    Prom dresses are okay but Rianna's hooker outfit, nooooo..
  • bilalmugh 2012/04/10 15:06:26
    bilalmugh
    +2
    yes i hope:)
  • METALheadMom 2012/04/10 15:01:33
    METALheadMom
    +5
    NO, IT SHOULD NOT. WE ARE GETTING WAY OUT OF HAND WITH ALL THE "CIVIL RIGHT" CRAP!
  • Osaka 2012/04/10 14:33:51
    Osaka
    +2
    "A lot of voters seemed concerned that a woman's right to breastfeed might be compromised if it's not made a civil right, but conservative voters weren't so sure. This is probably because conservatives feel making it a civil right would infringe on an establishment's right to tell a woman to cover up."

So that why you all have Obama 2012 plastered on this site... You all just made something up for the sake of being bias.
  • J Osaka 2012/04/10 20:02:49
    J
    I am conservative. I breast fed my kids. I don't think it need to be a civil right - it is already a God given need/ability. But women have been breast feeding for thousands of years and it has not been necessary yet for them to "plop" it out in public. These women aren't worried about their child's hunger, they want attention for themselves.
  • Osaka J 2012/04/12 01:40:03
    Osaka
    Yeah but we do seriously have some overly prudent people. Besides some Liberals live to shine on unnecessary subjects in public, try to shift things to their control and are even more prudish, which is sad. That's only some, if they don't like it they take offense and try to take control. (Kind of the reason they are more likely to sue)
  • J Osaka 2012/04/12 19:51:33
    J
    I don't see that even the overly prudent should be offended if breastfeeding is done that way that I and my sisters did. We never let our babies go hungry, But we wouldn't hang our boobs over the side of the shopping cart so the baby could grab hold and suck. Enough already, too, with the "rights" and law suits. It just seems that people have no, NO common sense anymore, do they?
  • Osaka J 2012/04/12 23:19:13
    Osaka
    True and a lot of younger woman these days think that we're to evolved to do something natural. I'm an artist and I've got to admit there is some beauty in those pictures people take of a mother breastfeeding a child. Nothing sexual about it.

Breast are hormones but I've seen guys with more explicit and more woman like breast than some woman. So no one really should be complaining..
  • johnpaul J 2012/04/14 21:54:09
    johnpaul
    I think you are getting kind a far out! I think most people that wear clothes, and more so with women do it to draw attention to themselves. What a accusation!
  • J johnpaul 2012/04/16 20:50:00
    J
    Sorry. I have no idea what you just meant.
  • staxamillion 2012/04/10 13:33:45
    staxamillion
    +2
    I think the point is, making it a right. Breastfeeding is already allowed and legal... I think that ppl should have the right to choose what's happens within their own places of businesses. I am for one pro breastfeeding but i am against making it a right
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2012/04/10 13:10:39
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Before long deviants will demand a civil right for walking around nude, free porno magazines and for marrying animals. Write it down, it's going to happen.
  • Johnny ... Torchma... 2012/04/10 16:50:22
    Johnny Graham
    In San Francisco you can already walk around in the nude,thats the law there you can stick your junk in a kids face and it`s perfectly legal.I couldn`t believe that either but it is so.They`re trying to get a law to make people carry something around to sit on instead of letting them smear their feces on everything they sit on.
  • Tony 2012/04/10 12:43:10
    Tony
    +3
    that's fine,i don't care,let the baby have some titty milk....
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2012/04/10 12:03:19
  • Johnny ... mk, Sma... 2012/04/10 16:54:45
    Johnny Graham
    +1
    They are trying to water the constitution down with so many crappy amendments that they can say it`s bloated with crap so they can get rid of it .As far as I`m concerned the Constitutio already gives a woman the right to breast feed.
  • Nomad58 Johnny ... 2012/04/10 17:22:43
    Nomad58
    +1
    Exactly, the Constitution limits the Government, not the People.
    So if there is nothing in there prohibiting breastfeeding in public and the States have not prohibited it, then GTG. Also, if on Federal land women are covered & in vast majority of States the only problem is the idiots who are repulsed by breasts & babies.
  • mk, Sma... Johnny ... 2012/04/10 18:59:01
  • coach k 2012/04/10 11:40:03
    coach k
    +3
    i think its fine. its natural and should be promoted
  • Katherine 2012/04/10 11:29:03
    Katherine
    +4
    I didn't get to vote. I vote no to exposing yourself in public. And this is nothing like 'racial discrimination'. Are people going to use that pathetic false excuse for everything?
  • Foxhound BN0 2012/04/10 11:11:37
    Foxhound BN0
    +3
    Why are some people so freaked out by public boobity?
  • closinyou 2012/04/10 10:58:16 (edited)
    closinyou
    +3
    Not to bring up another hot issue but lets look at the similarities and apply the same thought process. It doesn't take long to see the absurdity and evil influence at work today!

BREASTFEEDING:

" However, many respondents, even those who voted "Yes," pointed out that it's not difficult to bring a blanket. One commenter wrote, "I understand that it's a natural thing, but women could use some courtesy and put a blanket over said boob."

ABORTION:

Apply the same solution here. How hard is it to use a condom? There is NOTHING natural about willfully eliminating life. Women (and men) could use some courtesy and use protection...AKA be responsible!

We are forced to accept abortion being a womans right albeit unnatural.
    BREASTFEEDING HAS ALWAYS BEEN A RIGHT, NATURALLY! We may as well give women the right to breath and exist also.
  • freakoutnow... cuz mom's here 2012/04/10 09:46:37
    freakoutnow... cuz mom's here
    +4
    It's a natural thing. Women used to do it all the time in public without anyone noticing it. Sure some consideration like covering up when breastfeeding might be nice for those who don't want to see but they could just as easily look away as the mother can cover up. If the baby was crying because they are hungry these people would be mad for the most because you aren't shutting them up and then if you breastfeed them there then they'll complain. When you bring up these points then they'll say that you should use a breastpump and then bottlefeed them when in public but what happens when the bottle(s) is(are) empty and you don't have a breastpump with you (or there is no place to pump) and the child is hungry do you let them starve/cry and annoy everyone else around. Then they'll say that it should be done in private or that babies should be left at home and never go out in public but that ignores that sometimes us mother have 2 go out in public with our babies & that it's hard to find a private place (ex.NYC).
  • Joshua Franklin 2012/04/10 07:01:56
    Joshua Franklin
    +1
    I find its a act of public nudity WHICH MIND YOU is agaisnt the wall personally only breasts I wanna see are my Gf's
  • Foxhoun... Joshua ... 2012/04/10 10:58:12
    Foxhound BN0
    +2
    What's wrong with nudity against the wall? sexy against wall
  • Nomad58 Foxhoun... 2012/04/10 17:35:33 (edited)
    Nomad58
    It's bad for your back & although it looks romantic it's not as hot as it appears.

Couple trying to explain why the guy has a slipped disc & damaged ding-a-ling
    romantic hot appears couple explain guy slipped disc damaged woo-hoo
  • Foxhoun... Nomad58 2012/04/11 12:04:21
    Foxhound BN0
    That's the TV version. The real thing probably looked more like
    fat woman skinny man
  • closinyou Joshua ... 2012/04/10 11:09:48 (edited)
    closinyou
    +1
    You do realize there is a baby attached the breast you compare to your GF's. Your desire to avoid looking at another womans breasts is commendable. It sounds like your ability to control yourself is the issue in question! You aren't required to look.
  • GLaDOS Joshua ... 2012/04/10 11:11:12
    GLaDOS
    +4
    Then don't look at any except your girlfriend's?
  • Nomad58 Joshua ... 2012/04/10 17:42:33
    Nomad58
    Didn't read the article did you?
  • johnpaul Joshua ... 2012/04/14 23:05:00
    johnpaul
    If public nudity offends you, you are disrespecting God's greatest creation.
  • LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH 2012/04/10 06:35:48
    LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH
    +2
    EXCUSE ME, I HAVE TO GO FEED MY HUNGRY PETS! I CAN'T EVEN

LET MY ANIMALS GO HUNGRY, LET ALONE A BABY! But I WANT WHOEVER ARE

AGAINST PUBLIC BREASTFEEDING, ALLOW THEM ONLY TO EAT POLITICALLY

CORRECTNESS or STARVE THEMSELVES TO DEATH ON THEIR OWN WISHES!
  • Osaka LADY LI... 2012/04/10 14:51:51
    Osaka
    +1
    They made up the conservative bit, its mostly men and weird parents that are afraid of nudity. Not specifically conservative. I was breast fed as were my sisters and my mom used a blanket in and out of the house.
  • LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH 2012/04/10 06:19:43 (edited)
    LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH
    +2
    Why PUBLIC BREASTFEEDING SHOULD or SHOULDN'T BE A CIVIL RIGHT?

WHY FEEDING A HUNGRY BABY BECOMES A POLITICALLY CORRECTNESS?

IF IT IS SO, IT'S INSANE! IT'S INHUMANE!
  • closinyou LADY LI... 2012/04/10 11:13:48
    closinyou
    +2
    AGREED! We are inviting the Government to control the natural process and at the same time demanding that what we do is none of their business. It's absolutely ridiculous and ultimately perplexing!
  • sue 2012/04/10 06:19:35
    sue
    +6
    I can't believe this needs to be discussed. It seems obvious that babies need to eat and mothers need to feed them. What is the problem?

2014/09/20 08:00:21