PUBLIC OPINION > Pets Should Not Be Required to Wear Seat Belts

New Jersey recently passed a law making it illegal to have unrestrained animals in the car. That means if you want to take your pooch to your parents, you'll have to figure out a way to strap it in. Failure to do so is now classified as animal cruelty, and could run residents up to $1,000 in fines and six months in jail. But penalties aside, we asked the public if pets should be required to wear a seat belt in the first place.

There was a variety of reasons for and against the law, but ultimately most people agreed that they didn't want the state telling them how to handle it. Some people have ways of transporting their pets that don't involve restraints, and have been using them for years -- moving the seats, holding them in their lap, etc. Some are comfortable restraining their pets, but don't want to be caught off-guard on a short trip. It's not a major issue, but government involvement seems a little unnecessary here.

Libertarians Don't Like It

As expected, politics played a central role in this discussion. The primary issue is not so much the logic behind the law as it is the fact that it had to be turned into one. Especially with the major penalties New Jersey is placing on it. Progressives, on the other hand, see value in the heavy-handed approach, arguing that the law will make sure people don't put their pets at risk.

Girls Give Support

Women were about 11% more likely than men to agree with the law. It's not much to go by, but maybe it's their nurturing side that makes them a little more sensitive to the needs of animals. Or maybe it's that small percent of women who dress their dogs in sweaters who think it would be cute to see a puppy in a car seat.

Older Voters' Opinions Vary

From the youngest voters, all the way up through about 45 years old, support hovered around 38%. However, after that, percents fluctuated. It wasn't for lack of sample size, either, as volume was consistent throughout. Voters between 45 and 55 only showed 25% support, while voters between 55 and 65 showed 45%. It may have something to do with who's responsible for strapping the animals in.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about pets and seat belts. We'd love to hear from you!

• Vitalani 2012/06/14 00:21:11
    Vitalani
    +16
    It's sad that people think this is just about animals jumping all over the car and causing accidents. most accidents are cause by PEOPLE not animals. The reason I think this should be a law is because it is in the best interest of the ANIMAL. You buckle up your kids? Buckle up your dog. If that idea confuses you then you don't deserve to have one. Simple.

• Skywalker Doreen 2012/06/18 19:44:14
    Skywalker
    Maybe you should get a life and stop judging peoples opinions. You wont change my thoughts on this.
  • Doreen Skywalker 2012/06/18 19:47:39
    Doreen
    +1
    Well if we BOTH have been at this maybe we both should get a life ( goes both ways ).
  • Skywalker Doreen 2012/06/20 00:16:38
    Skywalker
    +1
    Touche
  • Jim Barnes Doreen 2012/06/28 15:38:54
    Jim Barnes
    Sorry. I just think you need to change your tampon and have a f*cking drink maby get laid.. who knows. I hate you. I hate you because its asholes like you who take the time to make these senceless laws while other more pressing issues in this country go unnoticed. Burn in a fire.
  • Jim Barnes Doreen 2012/06/28 15:35:00
    Jim Barnes
    +1
    Have you ever thought that maby your just an uptight moron with nothing better to do with you time who probably dosent know how to drive a car but does anyway. Cuz I've been drivng with my dogs for 20 years or so and NEVER had a problem. But you seem to think its this HUGE issue that needs to be adressed. Maby your driving skills are the issue. I hope u burn in a fire. Because I absolutely ABHOR people like you. Good day.
  • Apache 2012/06/14 22:28:33
  • Doreen Apache 2012/06/15 00:24:05
    Doreen
    +1
    If your children or grandchildren got seriously injured or killed because someone with a pet that was distracting them and it could have simply been avoided by securing the pet how would you feel. If you or any of your close family had a pet that was running around and they/you hit and injured or killed another person and it would never have happened if they/you had your pet secured how would yo feel about it? How would you feel it you had to come to a sudden stop and your unsecured pet flew through the windshield or is it "just a damn animal" to you?
  • Apache Doreen 2012/06/15 15:30:01
  • Doreen Apache 2012/06/15 19:20:18
    Doreen
    Well, since I already have had a brain for a long time I will get back to you now. Did I hit a nerve when talking about the fact that it is a possibility of your loved ones, you, or anyone else getting hurt because of a loose pet? If you got mad at the last sentence I want to let you know that I am not accusing you but it is a question ( notice the question mark ).
  • Jim Barnes Doreen 2012/06/28 15:46:59
    Jim Barnes
    +1
    Ok dumbass. Think of it this way. What if your dog dosent like to be strapped in? And he constantly gets out of it. Because of idiots lik you now I have to constantly watch him and keep him in and NOT pay as much attention to the road cuz I'm paying attention to a fu*king dog in a seatbelt maing sure I don't get a summons because he don't wanna be in the goddamn thing in the first place and I'm doing all this and then BOOM I hit someone and the law just took a life. Well if so I hope its yours that I take. Burn in a fire.
  • Jim Barnes Apache 2012/06/28 15:42:24
    Jim Barnes
    +3
    I don't know who you are but. My sentiments exactly. Thankyou for existing.
  • Jim Barnes Apache 2012/06/28 15:41:46
    Jim Barnes
    Thankyou! Finally someone with some REAL common sence!
  • sammanilla 2012/06/14 20:23:57
    sammanilla
    +1
    Most of us are too old to have a nanny.
  • Doreen sammanilla 2012/06/14 21:21:06
    Doreen
    +2
    Nannies would not be needed if people would actually use their common sense and logic but that is a thing of the past.
  • sammanilla Doreen 2012/06/14 22:03:22
    sammanilla
    +2
    Do you have common sense and logic? I do and my friends do.
  • Doreen sammanilla 2012/06/14 22:23:13
    Doreen
    +3
    Yes, I do and I am glad that you and your friends use common sense and logic. To many people do not and then laws need to be made. Put blame where blame belongs and it belongs to those who do not use common sense or logic.
  • Daryl 2012/06/14 20:16:31
    Daryl
    +2
    Pets require cute outfits though.

pet tuxedos
  • sammanilla Daryl 2012/06/14 20:27:16
    sammanilla
    +2
    Gladys wholeheartedly agrees.

gladys wholeheartedly agrees
  • JJ 2012/06/14 20:16:19
    JJ
    +1
    I worry more about people leaving their pets in a hot car than I do about buckling them in. Now, I have worried about big dogs in the back of trucks falling out and getting killed. As far as buckling them in, I have had pets for 50 years and never had one of them get hurt in our car...so, I feel it should be up to the individual to what they want to do.
    If these people want to talk about cruelty...the crulety would be if there were an accident and the poor animal couldn't get loose from their restraints and able to get out of the car if the owners were passed out, and the animals were their only hope for help, or God forbide their was a fire. Seat belts are fine, but not always useful.
  • Doreen JJ 2012/06/14 21:19:51
    Doreen
    +2
    I did see a dog jump out from the back of a truck and break it's leg and no one could catch it. You are just lucky that you have never had a problem. It is not necessarily your pets but it could also be another drivers pet that do not behave as well as yours and hit you and hurt either you, your pet, or any other passenger. Most accidents do not involve people or animals getting trapped and fires happening so the percentage is to low to use as a justification. Very few pets are going to be on top of their game and be able to run and get farmer ted to come out and help the people. Most pets are going to cower, jump out and possibly get hit by another car, run away, or bite someone trying to help you. If your pet will not let a paramedic to get to you a police officer may be forced to shoot it. Accidents are just as emotionally stressful on a pet as it is the owner.
  • JJ Doreen 2012/06/14 22:35:49
    JJ
    +1
    How often do you hear about those things happening?
  • Joe.Eng... JJ 2012/06/14 22:06:46 (edited)
    Joe.Engebretsen
    +1
    Okay, here's the whole "What if..." argument. You said you've had pets for 50 years and never had one get hurt. Is that because you've never been in a bad accident? If you haven't, *your argument is invalid*. If you were in an accident that was so bad the people (who were hopefully buckled in) passed out, your dog would be thrown against either the windshield or the dashboard if not buckled in. By your logic, we shouldn't buckle up our babies either because they can't unbuckle themselves in case of a car fire. Anyway, what would a dog do to get help? Is this a Timmy and Lassie situation? Are there not passersby in this situation who would stop to help? Btw, I don't own a dog, but I cringe when I see dogs hanging out the window sitting/standing on the driver's lap.
  • JJ Joe.Eng... 2012/06/14 22:49:07
    JJ
    I have always been cautious with our animals when in a car...without strants. As far as childen being buckled up, that's fine...nothing wrong with it, but for many, many years they didn't have to buckle up and thousands of children lived right on up to adulthood. I have read about faulty seatbelts and people dying and also people dying without seatbelts...things can happen. There is nothing wrong in being cautious, as we all should be, but to say that without seatbelts you can die isn't true, you could die anyway. I just feel the choice should be ours...to wear one or not. To put one on our dog or not.
  • Jim Barnes Joe.Eng... 2012/06/28 15:55:28
    Jim Barnes
    +1
    Ahaha well sir I have news for you. Cringe all you want but no law is gonna tell me what to do with my dog. Ill take the summons. And the fines. That's great. I've been in 3 horrible accidents where the jaws of life have had to be used on 2 ocasions. None of them involving pets.. (I know.. scary thought that accidents happen that DON'T involve loose pets) but all of them involving morons who simply can't drive. I bet if the DMV made people pass an IQ test to obtain or renew their liscense you'd be pissed off. And screwed. Burn in a fire.
  • Israel JJ 2012/06/15 12:22:11
  • JJ Israel 2012/06/15 14:48:49
    JJ
    +1
    True, you're between a rock and a hard place. But, my point is, we should be able to have a choice. If people want to strap their pet in a car, that should be up to them, not a government or any law. There are laws to obey and then there is the question to how far and how many laws should others put out there and people no longer having a choice to choose...bringing about oppression. This is happening here and if it keeps up, it will affect even the spirit of man.
  • Israel JJ 2012/06/15 21:11:07
  • JJ Israel 2012/06/15 23:14:15
    JJ
    I am an animal lover. I have many and don't want any of them to be hurt and perhaps you're right, in order to prevent the possibility of them or humans from being hurt, they need comfortable restrants, but I still feel it should be a choice. And yes, too much government legislation is really getting on my nerves. I'm for sensible laws, but feel too, we should be able to make some of our own choices.
  • Israel JJ 2012/06/16 07:22:48
  • JJ Israel 2012/06/16 15:34:59
    JJ
    +1
    You know, I thought about that and saw one on Publishers clearing house on their site. That may be the best idea.
  • Israel JJ 2012/06/16 16:42:14
  • KCMamabear 2012/06/14 20:11:57
    KCMamabear
    +3
    I have a rotti that comes with me in the car at least every day. She always wears a seatbelt. Keeping her in her seat means she doesn't become a projectile in an accident, possibly crushing me or my kids.
  • Bart 2012/06/14 19:37:56
    Bart
    +2
    The only time we ever had a dog in in the car is when we take it to the vet
  • KCMamabear Bart 2012/09/28 17:46:20
    KCMamabear
    My dog loves the car, and I take her absolutely everywhere I can. I didn't get a dog so she could sit at home and never see anything except the inside of my house. That's just cruel.
  • Rocky 2012/06/14 19:04:52
    Rocky
    +2
    You know, they are right. My dog jumps from front seat to back seat and back again. She should have some sort of restraint on or she will end up killing both of us. I don't drive her around much so that isn't much of a problem. She is a handful!
  • intolerantrwj 2012/06/14 17:55:36
    intolerantrwj
    +2
    This poor bastard is screwed ... wait until the National Coalition to Prevent Doggie Head Injuries partners up with the National Coalition to Lighten the Taxpayers Wallet(s) ...

dog with motorcycle helmet

Save Your Pooch Now ... before we form a Coalition !

dog with motorcycle helmet
  • Inquisi... intoler... 2012/06/14 23:51:53
    Inquisitve Kat
    +1
    Buddy with the dog on the bike is an idiot...
  • intoler... Inquisi... 2012/06/15 15:04:35
    intolerantrwj
    +1
    .... uuummm ... okay
  • KCMamabear Inquisi... 2012/09/28 17:47:28
    KCMamabear
    +1
    WAAAYYY better than buddy with the dog in the back of a truck tied with a leash!
  • Mellisa <3 2012/06/14 17:42:34
    Mellisa <3
    +2
    They should..... and i dont mean that cuz hey jump around or something i mean so that they dont die either

2014/09/02 07:02:07