PUBLIC OPINION > Online Dating Can Be a Hit (or Miss)

Just as the Internet has revolutionized just about every facet of society, so too has it impacted the dating scene in a huge way. Online dating provides singles (and swingers) with a wide range of potential partners, including whatever personal information they decide to share with the public, and a relatively painless alternative to being turned down in person. But it's certainly not for everyone. We asked SodaHeads if they would ever give online dating a shot.

Would You Try Online Dating?

52% Would Try It (or Have Already)

There wasn't much luck coming to a consensus here, but that's fine. It was pretty much split down the middle, meaning for every two people you tell about your online romance, one of them might snicker. There are, of course, dangers to look out for. That 19-year-old girl you're talking to could actually be a 350-pound man, although with programs like Skype at your fingertips, it shouldn't be too hard to make sure it's the real thing.

One commenter wrote, "If it's really not happening for you any other way, it's not a big deal to meet someone online to me. You just have to be safe about it, of course, and always be aware of red flags." We also noticed quite a few commenters found their spouses online, which speaks to the effectiveness of the method.

Men Are More Likely to Try It

Though the difference between male and female responses wasn't that big, it does reveal one problem with online dating. There are probably a few reasons men are more likely to date online: They don't have to get rejected in person, they can see way more women in a shorter amount of time, and a few may be under the impression that it will help them get laid.

Teens Think Twice

We assumed online dating would be more popular with younger voters, but that wasn't the case at all. The 25-54 age range was actually the most online dating-friendly age group, while teens and seniors sided against it. The teen statistic, however, is encouraging. Given the risk involved, we're glad to see teens are hesitant to engage in it.

Single or Not

Obviously, married voters are going to be less enthusiastic about the idea. They've found their mate, so it's unlikely they'll have the chance to go at it. Well, hopefully. But we were a little surprised to find that respondents who were in a relationship were more likely to say they'd try online dating than singles. Maybe it's because they have.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our original poll about online dating. We'd love to hear from you!

• scarlett 2012/02/16 23:29:01
    scarlett
    +3
    i tried it.. long story short.. i have a stalker now... we didnt date we talked 1 time.. 3 months later my door (parents house) is getting banged on then getting text saying "come outside" "im in your car waiting" "will you marry me before i deploy" from a number i didnt know.. then little items and notes being left on the side walk in front of my house sayin he cant wait to marry me and we can watch twilight on blu ray (wtf??).. the police say theres nothing they can do they made it as if it was my fault for being on a dating website.(as if its so uncommon)
    sooo... my brother made me take one of his guns and pepper spray lol..
    so people be careful on these sites... dont give your full name or number out!

• RevBH 2013/09/11 07:14:56
    RevBH
    NO, and for a couple of reasons (other than that I'm married to The Most Wonderful, Coolest Person EVER).

1. Most advertisers and lookers are just looking for sex. That would be OK if they would just be up front about it....but they're not.
    2. Most of them are card-carrying losers. They say they're great-looking, have great personalities, great jobs, and interesting hobbies...then why can't they get a date?
    3. All of them are desperate. Why else would they be on the hunt? Desperation is not attractive or healthy.

I find them creepy and weird.
  • fatih.guner.963 2013/05/04 08:21:18
    fatih.guner.963
    +2
    True its not easy to have success online with all amount of fakes and scams. But i do believe there are still true people who just like me are looking for a soul mate or partner .I think success depends mostly on how real you are yourself, and how positive you are about others. Ive tried recently globogirls.com and didnt regret it. Those girls who i met were normal and adequate. Plus on this site they have video chat which is really helpful. Because i dont like sharing my personal contacts till i am sure about someone. So i am having good experience over there.
  • funkylikeboots 2012/03/12 00:03:39
    funkylikeboots
    +2
    i'd rather meet someone in real life, than dating through the internet :o
  • catalyst 2012/02/19 23:07:02 (edited)
    catalyst
    I have never been on dating sites, but.. I did meet an ex-boyfriend online (still friends with him... 16 years on) and also met my NOW "hubby" not married but 13 years together and still going strong.
  • HProcks12345 2012/02/19 02:23:11
  • lovelyheart 2012/02/19 01:07:10
    lovelyheart
    id try it cause im single and miserable
  • dv 2012/02/17 20:49:47
    dv
    +1
    Miss there's too many weirdos out there!!
  • rph3636 dv 2012/02/19 05:26:54
    rph3636
    +1
    You got it.
  • Vanessa 2012/02/17 18:52:37
    Vanessa
    Well I'm married to the one I dated online before so that's why I chose yes xD I didn't mean that I'll do it while I'm married.
  • nicotene Vanessa 2012/02/18 17:36:12
    nicotene
    +1
    Very cool..
  • DeborahLakeHelen 2012/02/17 18:22:28
    DeborahLakeHelen
    +1
    I never thought I would EVER even consider meeting someone online to "date." But I met my husband here, at SodaHead, and he's the BEST thing to ever come into my life. He treats me better than ANYONE has ever treated me, we get along all the time, no matter what we're doing, I love him more than I've ever loved anyone, and he's really, really HOT!
  • brennan 2012/02/17 18:04:56
    brennan
    Total miss you are a major loser of so
  • nicotene brennan 2012/02/18 17:37:31
    nicotene
    That is not nice..
  • TMan 2012/02/17 16:25:22
  • no one here 2012/02/17 09:58:22
    no one here
    RETARDED< many damaged ladies. I have these watchers who watch me and could give me what I need anytime and they do nothing. CRAZY - Satanet or Sky Net, or Star Wars, or Satanlite SUCKZ WASTE OF TIME People are mean on them and some lie, the ladies just want $$$$$$$$$$$ Just like in real life. HORRIBLE, as if a man has to be sneaky, corrupt, and the uglier the better. No cut here on good people. There are some of those. SAD and PITIFUL WHEN I DIE I CAN MAKE LOVE ALL I WANT and NEVER HAVE TO BE REJECTED FOR BEING NATIVE And blunt I suppose, but I am worth it.Perhaps we will get to see CREATOR this year and NEVER have to suffer again!

I AM GOOD ENOUGH but PERHAPS those mean jokers are just tools of SATAN and not good enough. DANG, they see me cry because I have no money or love! They watch and write but nothing! Even if I ask them into my home! Like now! Starnge creatures!

Nonetheless, would be delighted if one or two or three showed up! (lol)

Will not be coming here much, better to just suffer by myself and read. Maybe trun electiricty off completely. When it get warm, I will go out and play small bars and sleep in my truck. At least free beer, sometimes food, and always ladies who want me then ; )>

SO LONG and really I was always just trying to helP!

shattered

stuck up women
  • naomicolleen 2012/02/17 06:58:27
    naomicolleen
    its sketchy, no for me
  • brennan naomico... 2012/02/17 18:06:09
    brennan
    Totally agree
  • 2585661 2012/02/17 02:51:13 (edited)
    2585661
    If you give out your name, number and address to someone online like instantly, than you're an idiot. Don't try and act like this will happen to everyone who tries online dating. You think meeting strangers at a bar or club is any safer?
  • nicotene 2012/02/17 01:22:52
    nicotene
    Does Christian Mingle have a gay section?
  • Inkling nicotene 2012/02/17 02:28:39
    Inkling
    why would it?
  • nicotene Inkling 2012/02/17 16:34:07
    nicotene
    +1
    Because it would be funny.
  • Inkling nicotene 2012/02/17 16:36:07
  • 2585661 nicotene 2012/02/17 02:52:09
    2585661
    +1
    Yeah, in the priests section.
  • nicotene 2585661 2012/02/17 16:27:57
    nicotene
    Hahahaha.
  • MAX POWERS nicotene 2012/02/17 15:03:15
    MAX POWERS
    NO... THE CHRISTIANS DONT LIKE FAGS!!
  • nicotene MAX POWERS 2012/02/17 16:29:16
    nicotene
    +1
    But only God can judge.. Are Christians the new God
  • nicotene nicotene 2012/02/17 17:01:56
    nicotene
    +1
    Internet dating is great to meet F**k buddies. Married men that like sucking c**k. Orgy parties or just some people to have a drink
  • dv nicotene 2012/02/17 20:52:12
  • nicotene dv 2012/02/17 20:54:50
    nicotene
    Thanks for understanding my humor. Everyone else is so uptight..
  • dv nicotene 2012/02/17 20:56:27
    dv
    +1
    I was Lmfao when I read that
  • ClaudiaSantos 2012/02/17 01:20:31
    ClaudiaSantos
    well maybe can be a hit but i'm not sure for this.... coz i love the real date :)
  • MAX POWERS Claudia... 2012/02/17 15:04:03
    MAX POWERS
    +1
    EEEEHO!!! SENORITA... LOVE YOUR BIKINI SHOTS!!
  • Claudia... MAX POWERS 2012/02/18 15:38:44
    ClaudiaSantos
    jajaja thank u so much :)
  • Kaimeso 2012/02/17 00:49:16
    Kaimeso
    I don't think there any such thing as "Online Dating", I mean what are you gong to do, chat, swap photos, etc,..?

But if you really meant "Online Introductions", then sure, no problem. As with any means of finding out about someone, Internet/Phone calls/etc, you only really have a date when you meet that person in the flesh, the real them.
  • Waiting in the Wings 2012/02/16 23:59:50 (edited)
    Waiting in the Wings
    +1
    As shy as I am about talking to someone whom I find attractive, I couldn't just meet a man online. Even if we got on that we have chemistry. I have many make friends and u don't want to date any of them. I know its unrealistic but I'd love to date a guy who leaves me weak in the knees and you can't tell that online.
  • Frank 2012/02/16 23:39:25
    Frank
    +1
    I'm married and happy, but if I was single I would not do online dating. I always preferred to meet my women face to face.
  • Hot Wheels Frank 2012/02/16 23:52:39
    Hot Wheels
    +2
    AMEN! I know that is right!
  • scarlett 2012/02/16 23:29:01
    scarlett
    +3
  • Inkling scarlett 2012/02/17 02:27:19
    Inkling
    how did he get your number etc if you talked 1 time? that's scary..
  • 2585661 Inkling 2012/02/17 02:48:27
    2585661
    She obviously gave him all her information.

2014/11/27 13:26:15