PUBLIC OPINION > Not Everyone Wants to Share a Beer With Obama

During a three-day Iowa bus tour, President Obama revealed that his bus was stocked with a special White House-brewed beer. The beer reportedly comes in two varieties -- light and dark -- and the President admitted he does drink it. Not much else was said on the subject, but we wanted to know how much of the public would crack a bottle with Obama.

Almost half of respondents would turn down Obama's brew. Obviously, there are going to be some telling demographics on this one, but first let's take a blind peek at some of the responses. A lot of comments suggested the reason they would (or wouldn't) partake is that they do (or don't) like beer. But there were also people who simply refused to associate with Obama. One respondent wrote, "As long as it's free."

Conservative Boycott

The strongest correlation, by far, was political alignment. There was a lot of resistance from the right. Part of it might be due to the way the story has been circulated -- that this is "Obama's beer." But more often than not, it was an opportunity to say that even beer cannot win them over. Conservatives were as willing to turn it down as liberals were to partake.

Drinking Doesn't Change Much

Believe it or not, whether or not people drink didn't have much to do with the results after all. Drinkers were more likely to join the president, but only by about 8%. We were actually surprised to see that 47% of nondrinkers were willing to have a beer with Obama, implying that a "nondrinker" is likely to be someone who will drink on occasion.

Drinking Age

Well, there's some good news and some bad news on the drinking front. The good news is, teens were 20% less likely than the 18-24 crowd to want to share a beer with Obama. And since young people tend to lean left, that's even more significant. It means young people are hesitant to consume alcohol. However, nearly half of teens would still do it.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about White House beer. We'd love to hear from you!

• Sterling David 2012/08/22 13:57:15
    Sterling
    He said that a woman's body will tend to shut down, as he was told by doctors. If that's not true he misspoke, but he said right after that, "If that doesn't work than their should be punishment for the rapists, but not for the child."

Let me show you an illegitimate rape accusation.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-2...
  • David Sterling 2012/08/22 15:57:04
    David
    Let me repeat!

No rape is legitimate, all rape is a crime!

There are no categories of rape, one is either raped or not!

The fact that someone who is not raped may claim to be is not what we are talking about here!
  • Sterling David 2012/08/22 18:36:51
    Sterling
    No that's exactly what he was talking about. People like you trivialize politics with semantics.
  • David Sterling 2012/08/22 21:46:02
    David
    I am sorry calling any kind of rape "legitimate" is appalling!

In fact that is an attempt trivialize by saying this kind of rape is okay, its legitimate, besides you wont get pregnant in any case!
  • Sterling David 2012/08/22 21:56:00
    Sterling
    Keep beating that drum bud, unfortunately rational people won't accept that argument.
  • David Sterling 2012/08/22 22:27:46
    David
    +1
    I find his views so disgusting I really don't want to discuss this any more!
  • Okie Lady David 2012/08/21 23:49:53
    Okie Lady
    +1
    That Akins is one Republican who is as goofy and stupid as a democrat. Someone needs to force him to drop out of the race. I don't care if he might even have a point! To say something like that show's stupidity akin to Obuma's! One seat just given to the dems.
    What are people like you going to say when he finally decides to rub our noses in the fact that he WAS born in Kenya and still was elected as our president? Have you seen the Kenya border sign that says "Kenya.... birthplace of the next U.S. Senator from Illinois." The picture was taken while he was running for Senate, and he didn't object at that time. SO? Can one of you left leaning commie liberals explain that?
  • David Okie Lady 2012/08/22 01:03:07
    David
    +1
    "... Akins is one Republican who is ... goofy and stupid ..."

The problem with Akins kind of thinking [where he believes that if a woman is raped "legitimately" that her body will automatically reject the sperm as opposed, to when a woman is raped, but secretly really wanted it and hence "not legitimate rape"], he is by no means alone within the Republican Party!

He is not just one goofy Republican as we have seen with the continuing "birther" nonsense!
  • alex 2012/08/21 21:38:28
    alex
    +1
    I could have told ya that, no time wasted.
  • Just Jenn for Now 2012/08/21 21:36:41
    Just Jenn for Now
    +2
    I'm guessing the only reason any under Conservative votes said "yes" is so they could have an opportunity to swear his brains out... Or worse.

As for me, eff you haters, I'm drinking with the president. :)
  • Fef Just Je... 2012/08/21 21:49:04
    Fef
    +6
    We just want a free beer on the taxpayer expense like the Democrats public union employees
  • Red_Horse Fef 2012/08/21 21:52:11
  • Just Je... Fef 2012/08/21 22:01:17
    Just Jenn for Now
    Lol was there ever any guarantee it would be free though? Hmmm
  • johnc Just Je... 2012/08/21 22:10:33
    johnc
    +1
    there is no such thing as a free lunch, but this escapes liberal thinking.

NOBAMA 2012
  • Just Je... johnc 2012/08/22 04:41:00
    Just Jenn for Now
    Of course there isn't. Unless you're a homeless drugie or an illegal alien, in which case EVERYTHING is handed out on a silver platter.
  • johnc Just Je... 2012/08/22 05:42:32
    johnc
    What you are paying with is your freedom. You are letting someone else decide what fish to give you for a day. I prefer a choice so I catch my own.

NOBAMA 2012
  • johnc Fef 2012/08/21 22:09:37
    johnc
    +1
    I want to go to one of those GSA conventions, they really look like fun.

but I just can't be a democrat.

NOBAMA 2012
  • Okie Lady Fef 2012/08/21 23:52:05
    Okie Lady
    I wonder how many dems are going to say you're hitting below the belt?
  • Okie Lady Just Je... 2012/08/21 23:51:29
    Okie Lady
    We don't want you around us, anyway. Go! Drink with the idiot.
  • Just Je... Okie Lady 2012/08/22 04:40:12
    Just Jenn for Now
    No thanks, staying and watching Right-wing idgets and Left-wing nutters is WAY too fun. :)

2014/09/03 07:14:42