PUBLIC OPINION > Not Everyone Wants to Share a Beer With Obama

During a three-day Iowa bus tour, President Obama revealed that his bus was stocked with a special White House-brewed beer. The beer reportedly comes in two varieties -- light and dark -- and the President admitted he does drink it. Not much else was said on the subject, but we wanted to know how much of the public would crack a bottle with Obama.

white house beer recap

Almost half of respondents would turn down Obama's brew. Obviously, there are going to be some telling demographics on this one, but first let's take a blind peek at some of the responses. A lot of comments suggested the reason they would (or wouldn't) partake is that they do (or don't) like beer. But there were also people who simply refused to associate with Obama. One respondent wrote, "As long as it's free."

Conservative Boycott

The strongest correlation, by far, was political alignment. There was a lot of resistance from the right. Part of it might be due to the way the story has been circulated -- that this is "Obama's beer." But more often than not, it was an opportunity to say that even beer cannot win them over. Conservatives were as willing to turn it down as liberals were to partake.

Drinking Doesn't Change Much

Believe it or not, whether or not people drink didn't have much to do with the results after all. Drinkers were more likely to join the president, but only by about 8%. We were actually surprised to see that 47% of nondrinkers were willing to have a beer with Obama, implying that a "nondrinker" is likely to be someone who will drink on occasion.

Drinking Age

Well, there's some good news and some bad news on the drinking front. The good news is, teens were 20% less likely than the 18-24 crowd to want to share a beer with Obama. And since young people tend to lean left, that's even more significant. It means young people are hesitant to consume alcohol. However, nearly half of teens would still do it.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about White House beer. We'd love to hear from you!

• shenendoah john ri... 2012/08/24 02:54:16 (edited)
    shenendoah
    Wonder what kind of refund you can get with obama 'wearing' the dang thing? eww
  • phil 2012/08/22 15:08:13
    phil
    +1
    Nor do I. All set
  • TimothyBrianFoley 2012/08/22 15:00:34
    TimothyBrianFoley
    i wouldn't mind remember i am not everyone
  • M'lud 2012/08/22 14:51:44
    M'lud
    +2
    I'll have a beer with anyone at anytime.....as long as they're buying!
    I haave a few notes on your interpretation of the results of this survey. You asked 13-17 year olds if they would be willing to drink illegally (as well as 1/2 of the 18-24 crowd) and you don't take into account how that might affect their answers? It is just as likely they are hesitant to ADMIT they consume alcohol.
    What a surprise that the the shallow-thinking, name-calling, self-righteous conservatives would not have a beer with the president. They simply can't get past their narrow-minded, hateful views.
  • firelooker M'lud 2012/08/22 18:14:44
    firelooker
    +1
    I'd drink a beer with him if it gave me a chance to tell him how I feel about the direction he's dragging this country.
  • STEELAN... firelooker 2012/08/23 00:45:38
    STEELANGEL 凸 Metal Up 凸
    Afraid that'd be a one sided conversation.
  • firelooker STEELAN... 2012/08/23 17:17:05
    firelooker
    +1
    I agree he's so full of himself he wouldn't listen.
  • STEELAN... firelooker 2012/08/23 17:37:52
    STEELANGEL 凸 Metal Up 凸
    He doesn't listen to people anyway, a drink would make it worse. listen people drink
  • firelooker STEELAN... 2012/08/23 17:45:52
  • Rebel M'lud 2012/08/22 20:11:21 (edited)
    Rebel
    +2
    whabulance

Not a surprising comment from a member of the shallow-thinking, name-calling, self-righteous liberals who would have a beer with the president. They simply can't get past their narrow-minded, hateful views.
  • Chris La 2012/08/22 14:44:41
    Chris La
    +6
    I'd drink a beer with a president, but he doesn't qualify for the office under US law.
  • M'lud Chris La 2012/08/22 14:54:57
    M'lud
    +4
    It must be awfully tough for you birthers to type without opposable thumbs or a frontal lobe.
  • C. C. R... M'lud 2012/08/22 16:31:32
    C. C. Rider
    +3
    LMAO for sure
  • Susan M'lud 2012/08/22 20:04:42
    Susan
    +2
    You can always tell the liberals...whenever they get backed into a corner during a discussion they know nothing about the personal barbs come out! It must be tough constantly defending a president who has virtually accomplished nothing other than the systematic dismantling of our nation. I'll bet you would like a beer with the pontiff. That way the two of you could get drunk and cry your blues away on one another's shoulders.
  • warlordage Susan 2012/08/23 20:00:01
    warlordage
    Much like neocons and tea party types like to fling racial slurs at people like me who aren't even liberal but are moderates, have fun trying to win without moderates :)
  • Bob DiN M'lud 2012/08/26 15:17:30
    Bob DiN
    Better than being a liberal liar that turn everthing to crap.
  • firelooker Chris La 2012/08/22 18:15:03
    firelooker
    +1
    Good point!
  • Crische 2012/08/22 14:35:22
    Crische
    +3
    Say what you want, but it'd be interesting to hear his real opinion on things/ who the normal guy is. Being president of such a country as ours is not easy. Just be nice to see the non-tv version of him. Man behind the mask. It's a beer, don't freak out people. Hate is the enemy.. and gravity.
  • STEELAN... Crische 2012/08/23 00:43:57
  • Marisela 2012/08/22 13:41:29
    Marisela
    +2
    Well, think about this - Romney is not allowed to drink beer because it's against his religion and Bush is not allowed to drink beer because he's an alcoholic. Yes, I would pop a cold one with our President!
  • firelooker Marisela 2012/08/22 18:17:43
    firelooker
    +3
    The Mormons used to not be able to drink soda until the church bought into Pepsi Co, then it was okay but they can't drink any other nor can they drink coffee, don't know why.
  • shotgun the 3rd 2012/08/22 12:42:45
    shotgun the 3rd
    +4
    I dont drink with Idiots..
  • Eddie 2012/08/22 11:37:17
    Eddie
    +2
    I don't really care if it's sharing a drink with Obama or not. I like mead, which is basicly a wine made from honey. Honey Ale sounds like it may be similar. I'd like to try it.
  • libaretardstoo 2012/08/22 09:19:26
    libaretardstoo
    +2
    I'm afraid I don't drink due to extenuating circumstances...

If he were offering a special party bus tour, free, White House Micro-brew I might drink one and stuff my pockets for later but it wouldn't changed the fact that I'll not vote for someone that would intentionally diminishes the leadership role & footprint of the 22nd century USA..

BTW, I find it interesting that the greatest generation came from one room school houses when a Dept of Education didn't exist; Further more, during the years most were being born, "income tax had just come into it's own but only at a modest rate and supposedly only until the debt was paid.

Just shows that any government tax, program or department is never short-lived,

Anyway, I'd drink his Duff Premium Blend but still wouldn't talk to him except to ask wear the bathrooms are and a bed to pass out on.
  • STEELANGEL 凸 Metal Up 凸
    +2
    **a special White House-brewed beer**

Is that what's wrong with the crackhead in chief? crackhead in chief
  • legalam... STEELAN... 2012/08/22 18:41:30 (edited)
    legalamericanwoman
    +2
    It does make you wonder what else he ingests at tax payer exepense.
  • Christi... legalam... 2012/08/22 18:51:04
    Christian Mikula
    +1
    How so?
  • libaret... legalam... 2012/08/27 17:35:10
    libaretardstoo
    Probably anything he wants...

As we know pharmaceutical company'a and they're Lobbying & PACs essentially wrote the affordable care act. This title,better known as Obama-care Misnomer if I've ever read one. There is nothing affordable about this act, we pay taxes for10 yrs to receive 6 yrs of service and the Pharma Companies make out like bandits.

http://www.tysknews.com/News/...
  • bleep 2012/08/22 06:52:38
    bleep
    +2
    Only if I could kick him in the balls. Scumbag president
  • legalam... bleep 2012/08/22 18:42:03
    legalamericanwoman
    +1
    Talk to Jesse Jackson.
  • warlordage bleep 2012/08/23 20:00:44
  • Pat 2012/08/22 05:32:32
    +3
    I don't like beer but I would be happy to have a brew the President!
  • rph3636 2012/08/22 05:12:31
    rph3636
    +3
    I for one don't want to be seen in public with him let along share a beer with him.
  • Max7 2012/08/22 04:16:55
    Max7
    +2
    I am not a drinker, but I'd welcome the opportunity to share a beer with President Obama. Even if I were not a Democrat I'd appreciate sharing a beer with him, or just having the privilege of being in his company. We have a young lady at our Church who excelled in the Woman's Basketball Team during President G.W. Bush term, she was privileged to meet him, and her picture with President Bush still hangs in our Church. I'd venture to say that our Church is 99% Democratic, however, to be in the presence of the United States of America should be considered a privilege. Personal feelings and disappointments should be set aside, the only way these feelings can be satisfied is at the voting poll. Some people in America want to pick and choose when they want to be patriotic, they should always be patriotic and respectful to no matter who resides in the White House because he got there by a majority vote.
  • bleep Max7 2012/08/22 06:57:16 (edited)
    bleep
    +4
    I am still in mourning about the losses I incurred during this presidency. I would rather not support this traitor.patriotic thing to do is riot.
  • Max7 bleep 2012/08/22 07:38:56
    Max7
    +2
    I am sorry about your losses, many of the losses are a result of Cheny and Bush. However, you have a right to support whomever you want, just as I have chosen to support President Barack Obama, because of his administration, my son's unemployment was brief, he was able to bring his home out of foreclosure, and he is now in the process of regrouping his life. President Obama and our district Congresswoman have done wonders for so many in our city.
  • Susan Max7 2012/08/22 20:09:21
    Susan
    +1
    The American tax payer is the one who you should really be thanking for bringing your son's home out of foreclosure. And, oh by the way when will you or any other Obama supporter stop blaming the last administration and make the current one own to up to the insurmountable problems we have in our nation? He is real adept at spending other ppl's $!
  • Max7 Susan 2012/08/23 00:05:01
    Max7
    Believe me it was the Stimulus
  • Ozzyboy Max7 2012/08/23 14:29:33
    Ozzyboy
    I'm glad your son got a job. It only costs the taxpayers about $700,000 plus for that job. It would have made more sense to just give every one some of the money directly and cut out the middleman - big government. Everyone would have been a lot better off. What is given to one has been taken from another.
  • scottcl... Ozzyboy 2012/08/24 18:40:56
    scottcleaves
    +2
    You are provided with police and fire protection and many other public services supported by tax dollars. Are you saying that something's been taken from you there, too? Your argument doesn't stand up.

2014/04/25 08:03:00