PUBLIC OPINION > More Men Want to Stay at Home Than Women

SodaHead Living 2012/09/13 21:00:00
Gender roles aren't quite what they used to be. In the last 100 years, women in America have earned the right to vote and made significant progress toward financial equality. Women are free to pursue their own careers, or stay at home if they choose. Likewise, it's becoming more socially acceptable for men to stay at home. But does that actually reflect what the respective genders want out of life? We asked more than 500 people if they would rather work or stay at home.

stay at home dad

The results were split down the middle, with 51% of voters preferring to work and 49% preferring to stay at home. We should point out right off the bat that "staying at home" does not mean "relaxing at home." The Top Opinion read, "Staying at home is work!" Of course, each person will interpret "staying at home" differently. The most common interpretation was raising the kids, while some took it to mean simply working from home.

Women Don't Want to Stay at Home

No matter how you interpret the options, one thing is clear: women are less likely than men to want to stay at home. Many respondents suggested that women are natural care-givers, but the majority of female voters would rather go to work, often saying they'd go crazy staying home all day. Men were actually 10% more likely to desire staying at home.

Teens Want to Work

We were a little bit surprised to find that teens were actually most eager to go to work. By a lot. Some respondents did take "staying at home" to mean "doing nothing," but very few of them were teens. The 35-44 age group was least interested in going to work, probably opting to work from home after years of working in an office next to that guy who doesn't cover his mouth when he sneezes.

Workers Wouldn't Mind Staying Home

On a similar note, unemployed voters were more likely to say they want to work than voters who are fully or partially employed, suggesting it's not for lack of motivation that people are out of the job. Full-time employees would rather stay at home. Again, this is probably due to office burn-out.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about staying at home. We'd love to hear from you!

• evangelism_vision 2012/09/13 22:04:57
    evangelism_vision
    +12
    I want to stay Home!

After all, I served in the Navy for 20 Years, Combat duty in Gulf War 1 now Disabled Veteran, Retired and worked 35 Years in Retail Management.

YEP! Love being home, watering the grass, trimming the Trees, Playing Golf, and being on Soda Head. And the Best Part is that I don't have to work Sundays any more and i am free for Church and that alone is more important to me than anything else.

**************** Dang ! I love Retirement *************

But Thanks to Obama, I have less money to spend and now Gas is $4.15 a Gallon here in California. Guess you know who I am Not going to vote for in November.

• democoach evangel... 2012/09/16 20:00:11
    democoach
    +1
    well her ein Canada we pay around 1.10 per litre (4.14 per gallon) all teh way up to 1.30$-1.50$ a litre.

your cheap compared to up here, i guess its because america steals oil from other countries
  • evangel... democoach 2012/09/16 21:01:57
    evangelism_vision
    That is what I am paying now in California. ? Canada? Geeee Love Canada! Mom was from Ontario and I use to have my Citizenship in Canada when I was born because she was a Citizen of Canada and my Dad was an American in the Navy

ahahahhah Nothing surprises me
  • democoach evangel... 2012/09/17 00:47:28
    democoach
    by america stealing i mean american corporations and government
  • evangel... democoach 2012/09/18 20:17:59
    evangelism_vision
    That BUZZ WORD " CORPORATION" That's what the Wall Street Protesters say too and they are Marxist and anti Capitalism!

****************** QUESTION FOR YOU ******************

DRIVE A CAR?

IT WAS A CORPORATION THAT BUILT IT

USE THE PHONE?

IT IS A CORPORATION THAT SUPPLIES YOU THE SERVICE

WEAR CLOTHES?

IT IS A CORPORATION OR A SWEAT SHOP THAT MAKES THEM

EAT FOOD?

IT IS A CORPORATION THAT SUPPLIES YOU WITH THAT FOOD THROUGH THE STORES YOU SHOP AT

USE A COMPUTER?

IT WAS A CORPORATION THAT BUILT IT AND ONE THAT SOLD IT

***************** GET THE POINT **********************
  • democoach evangel... 2012/09/18 21:08:47
    democoach
    wall street is any thing but true capitalist!
    i drive a car yes, they force their rediculous pricing on us!

i use a basic phone, too bad slaves make those products for us, (very democratic) lol

i wear clothes yes, again too bad slaves are used for the production.

i eat food, we try to grow our own food as much as possible and i hunt for meat!

now my turn to ask you a question or two,

your home, do you own that? or do banks and government own that?

quick way to get you to answe rthat question, can the governmet just take it on you? if you don't give the government your hard earned money?

how about taxes, why are they so high? so that your lazy neighbor doesn't have to work? or for facist obama to bail out massive corporations who feed on the poor?

how about you think about real capitalism, instead of what is in use today?

• evangel... democoach 2012/09/18 21:26:22
    evangelism_vision
    I HAVE RESPECT FOR CORPORATIONS Because they provide Jobs and create Products and Services we use..

America depends on Corporations and the money they create called Profit, Government should not tax them so much because they take that money and invest in retraining, hiring new Employees, Creating New Products and Services, as well as purchasing New Equipment to moderize their plant or business.
    Advertising to promote their products, the cost of fuel for their trucks, electricity, water and supplies, all of this cost money and Big Companies have BIG Expenses.

When you use a Product.... Thank a Corporation
  • evangel... democoach 2012/09/18 21:27:59
    evangelism_vision
    YES I OWN MY HOME and Any time the Government wants to take my Home... they are welcome to try

AND WHEN THE SMOKE CLEARS.... LETS SEE WHO IS STILL STANDING!
  • anne.k.... evangel... 2012/09/18 15:22:51
    anne.k.murphy
    I'm glad you're not voting for Romney! After all, it's not Obama's fault the country is in the toilet, but the Republicans' fault for blocking every bill that has been put forth to help the American people.

http://crooksandliars.com/jon...
  • VERYwiseguy 2012/09/13 22:03:07
    VERYwiseguy
    +3
    Not surprised I would prefer to be a Mr. Dad. :)
  • Kyle 2012/09/13 22:00:33
    +3
    human nature we want what we cannot have

2014/04/19 07:13:00