PUBLIC OPINION > More Men Want to Stay at Home Than Women

Gender roles aren't quite what they used to be. In the last 100 years, women in America have earned the right to vote and made significant progress toward financial equality. Women are free to pursue their own careers, or stay at home if they choose. Likewise, it's becoming more socially acceptable for men to stay at home. But does that actually reflect what the respective genders want out of life? We asked more than 500 people if they would rather work or stay at home.

The results were split down the middle, with 51% of voters preferring to work and 49% preferring to stay at home. We should point out right off the bat that "staying at home" does not mean "relaxing at home." The Top Opinion read, "Staying at home is work!" Of course, each person will interpret "staying at home" differently. The most common interpretation was raising the kids, while some took it to mean simply working from home.

Women Don't Want to Stay at Home

No matter how you interpret the options, one thing is clear: women are less likely than men to want to stay at home. Many respondents suggested that women are natural care-givers, but the majority of female voters would rather go to work, often saying they'd go crazy staying home all day. Men were actually 10% more likely to desire staying at home.

Teens Want to Work

We were a little bit surprised to find that teens were actually most eager to go to work. By a lot. Some respondents did take "staying at home" to mean "doing nothing," but very few of them were teens. The 35-44 age group was least interested in going to work, probably opting to work from home after years of working in an office next to that guy who doesn't cover his mouth when he sneezes.

Workers Wouldn't Mind Staying Home

On a similar note, unemployed voters were more likely to say they want to work than voters who are fully or partially employed, suggesting it's not for lack of motivation that people are out of the job. Full-time employees would rather stay at home. Again, this is probably due to office burn-out.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about staying at home. We'd love to hear from you!

• evangelism_vision 2012/09/13 22:04:57
    evangelism_vision
    +12
    I want to stay Home!

After all, I served in the Navy for 20 Years, Combat duty in Gulf War 1 now Disabled Veteran, Retired and worked 35 Years in Retail Management.

YEP! Love being home, watering the grass, trimming the Trees, Playing Golf, and being on Soda Head. And the Best Part is that I don't have to work Sundays any more and i am free for Church and that alone is more important to me than anything else.

**************** Dang ! I love Retirement *************

But Thanks to Obama, I have less money to spend and now Gas is $4.15 a Gallon here in California. Guess you know who I am Not going to vote for in November.

• Drug Free Angel* 2012/09/24 14:56:23
    Drug Free
    Well..the squeeky wheel gets the oil..as they say.
    Women seem to think men do not appreciate what women do around the house and the house hold responsibilities.
    Of course many men do not, as they think it is "even steven" and if they can go out and work all day and be away from the home and all that their work entails they certainly do not want to be told their work is less important than the work around the house and told the house hold work is more difficult than the job they go to 6 days a week 10 hours a day making money to support the household...if that be the case.
    The smart man will always compliment his wife or woman on the great job she does and her efforts need to be noticed and rewarded often.
    On the other hand..it seems that many women are simply not geared for household life style ..but they certainly thought it was OK when they agreed to stay at home and raise the kids while the man went out and found the money...in the beginning...but later they are all frustrated and maybe even angry at their self inflicted life trapped in the house and house hold chores.
    It is not easy for both parties...but most couples work it out and accept that either way it is far from perfect or suitable for both parties.
  • tellmewhy 2012/09/15 06:18:50
    tellmewhy
    +2
    I think the real question is not staying home but refrain from working.
  • princess_kelly 2012/09/15 04:57:49
    princess_kelly
    i want to stay at home that sounds nice
  • PandahSixx 2012/09/15 03:40:59
  • Adam 2012/09/15 01:02:44
    Adam
    +2
    Sounds like this is really just investigating what different people think, "Staying at home" means. Some people think its with kids, others think its working from home, others think its not having to work...the answers are pretty meaningless.

Also, interestingly enough, people who work from home are found to be MORE productive then people who go into work.
  • Invader... Adam 2012/09/15 08:43:42
    Invader_Xion
    "Also, interestingly enough, people who work from home are found to be MORE productive then people who go into work."

That surprises me not at all, considering a majority of the employees at most of the jobs I've worked at were more concerned with their internal social standings and hanging out/sexing each other up than their jobs. Maybe it's because I've usually been management but I don't make friends with people I work with. Too much drama.
  • Aksana 2012/09/14 22:04:33
    Aksana
    Funny
  • mckayla 2012/09/14 21:13:43
    mckayla
    Chicks can't slut it up with their boss if they work at home, duh!
  • Shawna 2012/09/14 19:59:44
    Shawna
    +5
    The grass is always greener. My ex seemed to think staying at home meant playing. When he had a day off he golfed. When I had a day off I cleaned the house and shopped for food. When I came home at the end of a work day to find dirty dishes, a messy house and no plans for dinner, my husband napping on the sofa, I was not very happy about it. When he came home to a clean house and a dinner waiting he never expressed any appreciation. Now he has to do it all himself because I finally left him.
  • janewhite678 2012/09/14 19:45:36
  • Margaret Jacobson 2012/09/14 19:16:46
    Margaret Jacobson
    +2
    A lot of MEN are staying in the home lately............It is called UNENPLOYMENT !! GET IT !! NO JOB !! There has always been some men "who stayed at home" in the past. People just didn't talk too much about them. Now we do talk about it more.
  • Zepland 2012/09/14 19:00:16
    Zepland
    +1
    Let the novelty wear off. And the illusion of setting one's own pace crumble. The official stay home partner is; family chauffeur / all house duties / all school issues / all errands / etc. until you realize you live a life of dedicated to service. Thankless service for which somebody will give you honest pay. At which point the grass starts to look greener on the other side. Oh, did I mention yard duties................
  • devil bitch 2012/09/14 17:59:45
    devil bitch
    +2
    Yes guys like to be home more than with women but if we werent there they wud get frustrated with the kids and go crazy. so its like we always have to be there, thats wat makes us wanna go out
  • Chris devil b... 2012/09/14 18:41:35 (edited)
    Chris
    +2
    I took care of 4 kids for 10 years by myself, I never went crazy. It was extremely stressful at times sure but of course we lived with a lot of nature around so it just melted stress away by sitting outside for a few minutes :P You certainly have to be a positive person and have a good sense of humor to raise kids.
  • devil b... Chris 2012/09/19 18:19:22
    devil bitch
    I want 1 kid and thats it. my niece lives at my house and i cant take the screaming..
  • Chris devil b... 2012/09/19 18:39:14
    Chris
    Well, if you have 2 kids then they play with each other a lot, keep each other company, only 1 child will always be bugging you for attention because he or she will be lonely. So I think 2 is a perfect amount. You can send them to play outside, etc... but 1 kid playing alone... is kind of sad.
  • devil b... Chris 2012/09/20 17:46:49
    devil bitch
    how about i send them to u....
  • nobiggov 2012/09/14 17:42:13
    nobiggov
    +3
    Woman start out thinking......wow, this is great...I pursue my career and hubby stays home with kids. A set-up like this works for only a short while.....men and women are simply different and before long, the woman will NOT respect her man and the man will not have the fullfillment of providing for his family like MOST men take great pride in doing. Of course there are exceptions, but as a general rule...neither will be happy and the marriage will suffer.
  • Jeremy 2012/09/14 17:17:43
  • Marcy B... Jeremy 2012/09/14 18:18:44
  • BoredCollieDogRIPmissDyouRm... 2012/09/14 17:05:04 (edited)
    BoredCollieDogRIPmissDyouRmissed
    +2
    Those aren't men...men provide for their families.
  • Mikado ... BoredCo... 2012/09/15 17:50:29
    Mikado Hikyuu
    +1
    how would being a house husband not be providing for his family? Doing the washing, the cleaning, the bathing (of young children) preparing the meals, shopping for what ever is needed (like food) transporting the older children to school and to games and to friends..

A house wife (or house husband) is maid, cook, taxi service, nurse, bankbook balancer, coupon clipper, and then when the spouse comes home we are also servant, friendly ear to listen about your day and sex doll - how is that NOT providing for their families?
  • cesspool 2012/09/14 16:28:48
    cesspool
    Where do you find these women who support men with no jobs? I want to stay at home all day!
  • SOUL4REAL 2012/09/14 16:04:42
    SOUL4REAL
    I would be ok with my husband staying home with the children,while I bring the bacon home, if he wanted too! I'll betcha he'll want to go back the work after a week with the children......Hahahahahaha!!!
  • ★misfit★ 2012/09/14 14:14:21
    ★misfit★
    It's interesting to note that the Gallup version of this study showed that 76% of men wanted to work outside the home. I think this is because they worded the stay home option as "stay home, take care of house and family" instead of just "stay at home." Sure, men want to stay home. But do they want to cook, clean, watch the kids, etc.? In my experience, no they do not.
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/15...
  • Classical Liberal 2012/09/14 14:06:52
    Classical Liberal
    +1
    Video Games. 'Nough said.
  • American Nate 2012/09/14 13:28:36 (edited)
    American Nate
    Theyre just being lazy. Real men work, or take turns working.

on couach
  • Chris America... 2012/09/15 19:53:41
    Chris
    ^They're

Stop being lazy and learn proper grammar.
  • Bibliophilic 2012/09/14 12:36:22
    Bibliophilic
    +2
    Stay at home fathers can also be pretty awesome- families should do what works for them.
  • MW121 2012/09/14 12:31:45
    MW121
    Interesting... I run my our business and I don't consider what I do as work rather than part of what I do. I wouldn't know what to do if I didn't travel all the time or wasn't doing business stuff.. I'd probably go nuts.. I wouldn't want to stay home, but that's my preference.
  • Scott 2012/09/14 12:25:23
    Scott
    +1
    I work from home so I suppose I have the best of both worlds.
  • Aingean 2012/09/14 12:11:43
    Aingean
    Turn about is fair play I guess. I like being a house wife. I get bored sometimes but I enjoy the time with my son and taking care of my family.
  • sweetserinity13 2012/09/14 11:24:51
    sweetserinity13
    +1
    I would love to be a house wife and take care of our son, but my husband and I cannot afford it right now. But when we have another baby I wont be able to work because I refuse to work just to pay a baby sitter.
  • Aingean sweetse... 2012/09/14 12:12:35
    Aingean
    That is why I stay home now, baby sitters are stinking expensive and me working would barely cover the charges. Plus I trust me more with my son then some stranger.
  • sweetse... Aingean 2012/09/14 19:53:55
    sweetserinity13
    +1
    Well my grandmother watches my son right now, and she only charges me for the days I work which can be any where from 1 to 6 days a week. but other sitters will charge you even if your child isn't there and that's just stupid they don't pay me if I don't work and I won't pay you for days you don't work either.
  • Aingean sweetse... 2012/09/15 12:25:58
    Aingean
    +1
    My parents watch my son for us when we do anything with out bubba to help out. They don't charge us, Im extremely grateful that they dont.
  • sweetse... Aingean 2012/09/15 21:05:08
    sweetserinity13
    +1
    This is her only source of income so I really like to pay her to help her out with her bills and plus Ry loves going over there and playing with her.
  • Aingean sweetse... 2012/09/16 10:09:36
    Aingean
    Well then that is understandable.
  • L1 2012/09/14 09:40:13
    L1
    +3
    Some men might actually be better at home than mom. If it works out for the family, then let do as they please.
  • paddy Pete 2012/09/14 08:51:01
    paddy Pete
    +1
    I would rather work

2014/07/23 08:03:02