PUBLIC OPINION > More Fast Food Chains Should Go Cage-Free

In an attempt to simultaneously pull itself out of a commercial slump and appease animal welfare activists, Burger King has announced it will get all of its eggs and pork from cage-free animals by 2017. The reason they weren't doing it in the first place, and the reason many chains still use cages, is the cost. But BK believes customers are willing to pay a little more for the humane treatment of animals. Of course, they aren't the only fast food provider working to better the treatment of animals. Still, we asked the public if more chains should follow suit.

Burger King's research was spot on. If this many people think cage-free is a great idea, knowing it's going to cost them a little extra, why wouldn't it work? Though there were several demographics that held reservations about the move to cage-free, four out of five voters were in favor of it. If chickens had lips, they would thank our voters and that creepy King mascot for the support. The biggest argument against cage-free was the price.

Women Are Way More Concerned

Without trying to buy into any stereotypes, we've noticed that women do tend to vote more sympathetically. In this case, the evidence holds steady. Female voters were 13% more likely to push for more cage-free chains. It's not a huge difference, and guys were still more than willing to throw down for them chickens. Just not as much as the gals.

Old Habits Die Hard

The strongest correlation by far was age. Support for cage-free raising fell off dramatically as voters got older, from nearly unanimous support among teens (95%) to a borderline split decision among voters over the age of 45. It's probably just a simple matter of not seeing the big deal. The animals are dying anyway; it's our nature to eat them. We've been putting them in cages for years.

Smokers Aren't as Supportive

Overall, smokers did still vote in favor of pushing for more cage-free chains, but they weren't quite as enthusiastic as the rest. They came in at 63%, just a few percent less than the male vote. With New Zealand proposing to make cigarettes $100 a pack, they'll have to save money where they can. Drinkers were also skeptical.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about Burger King's cage-free promise. We'd love to hear from you!

• Jaynane 2012/04/29 00:49:55
    Jaynane
    +7
    I'm a vegetarian, so the thought of eating another once living creature, makes me ill. But, I do like eggs. I just purchased 3 pullet (female chicks), and had a small hen house built. I am looking forward to having fresh eggs where I know what my hens have been eating. cute hen house

• lozzy<3 2012/04/29 16:16:26
    lozzy<3
    +4
    i think every company should go cage free, i hate the thought of animals being stuck in tiny cages not being able to hardly move :(
  • stevegt... lozzy<3 2012/04/29 19:42:43
  • Laura stevegt... 2012/04/29 22:00:55
    Laura
    +1
    America is full of wasteful people. We don't need half of what we buy. Tons of food, whether produce or livestock gets wasted. Either way, there is no excuse to keep animals like this so we can gorge ourselves on hamburgers and chicken. Not to mention the issues the u.s is facing due to the hormones (given to help speed up processes and to make animals produce more milk) and antibiotics (antibiotic resistance) that are routinely given to these animals.
  • RoseyRhod 2012/04/29 13:49:38
    RoseyRhod
    +5
    When I was a kid growing up in New Mexico, my family kept chickens. We had a big coop that they could go in and out of at will, and a big enclosed yard to protect them from predators such as foxes. I can't imagine keeping a chicken in a little tiny cage for its entire life. Factory farming sucks.
  • Redneck RoseyRhod 2012/04/29 17:07:36
    Redneck
    +1
    yeah, it sucks, but when you have to feed millions upon millions of people who haven't a clue as how to feed themselves without a grocery store, you have to fit a lot of animals in a smallish area.
  • stevegt... Redneck 2012/04/29 19:43:35
  • HBO Redneck 2012/04/29 23:15:38
    HBO
    +1
    That's BS. There was a time where if you didn't have animals or a garden, you didn't eat. Theres food to be had, if people bought from local farms and grew their own vegetables. Not to mention improving their local economy.
  • Redneck HBO 2012/04/30 04:15:45
    Redneck
    Not everyone can afford farmer market food.. besides, what will you do for food in the winter? The majority of the people in this country live in cities and haven't the ability or knowlege of how to feed themselves. Have you seen prices for farm eggs on here? Its rediculous! I, on the other hand, grow a lot of our own food. Its just a good skill to have and I teach my kids. A little garden in your back yard is one thing, farming is another. Most people would poison themselves if they tried to can something.
  • HBO Redneck 2012/05/03 07:32:36
    HBO
    If you can afford to buy produce at the grocery store, you can go to the farmers market. And ours even accepts food stamps.
  • Redneck HBO 2012/05/03 12:35:57
    Redneck
    none of our accept food stamps because they're just a group of farmers and not that organized. The prices are considerably highter at the farmers markets than, say wal mart. My dad and I sell at the farmers market here locally and the prices are an issue we've raised. The Choctaw Indian nation gives vouchers to their members to buy from us though.
  • HBO Redneck 2012/05/05 20:42:25
    HBO
    Sounds to me like it really depends on where you live. At our farmers market, they are set up to take food stamps and the WIC office gives out vouchers as well. But I find the prices to be very fair. You can get a lot for your money. It's not a big market, just down the length of part of downtown Main St. but well put together. We also have a few really nice produce stands out on the edge of town, which also have good prices. And since it's all local produce, then you know you're supporting the farmers in the area, and you're getting fresh food with a taste that's unique to your region. One question though...you said the prices were an issue....are the sellers able to set their own prices to compete with the supermarkets, or do you have to stay within a certain set range ? I would thin that the point is trying to get people to eat local but why can't you charge lower prices to to bring people there ?
  • Redneck HBO 2012/05/06 04:24:31
    Redneck
    The local farmers market sets the price. There are few folks setting up their own shops on the side of the road and such, I don't know what their prices are like. The operations here are very small, early in the year, some farmers go to Texas and buy mexican grown produce and sell it as locally grown, which is crappy. I grow watermelons and just sell them on the side of the road, or my kids do, ans sell them to local conveniance stores.
  • gunner 2012/04/29 13:26:27
    gunner
    +1
    Absolutely yes to cage free . But, how will this fit in with the United Nations Agenda 21 ?
  • stevegt... gunner 2012/04/29 19:44:01
  • bluelady 2012/04/29 13:20:58
    bluelady
    I am sooooo blonde...I saw the cage free sign at the local BK and couldnt figure out how they were going to make it a walk up>>>>>>>>>darn it the Revlon must be getting into my brain now.
  • Lizzy 2012/04/29 12:16:06
    Lizzy
    +1
    It would be nice to think all animals lived in good surroundings, very few do as we know.
    Farming of any sort is just another money making industry. Barn eggs sound quite nice + they are expensive but thousands of hens live in enclosed barns, they never see daylight + also suffer, not a nice sight. I doubt very much so called free range would fare much better.
  • Redneck Lizzy 2012/04/29 17:05:21
    Redneck
    +2
    just buy a few hens and let them run loose in your yard. You won't have any insects in your yard, or grass for that matter, but you'll never buy another egg.
  • Lizzy Redneck 2012/04/29 19:38:52
    Lizzy
    We used to have a few hens when i was young, we had beautiful double yolkers that tasted really good. They did destroy all the garden though. I could`nt have hens were i live now, the garden is too small for a chicken run + the neighbours would complain. :0)
  • Nancy Lizzy 2012/04/29 22:10:28
    Nancy
    Free range is a lot better. Lots of supermarkets in the UK only sell free-range eggs in their products now. It maybe be more expensive but it's worth the money to improve those chickens' lives.
  • Lizzy Nancy 2012/04/30 06:59:49
    Lizzy
    Free range maybe better but they`re about 3 times the price + who`s to say they are free range ?. Eggs are a big money making business like everything else. All supermarkets in the UK sell a variety of eggs Not Just free range, i live in the UK..
  • Brian M 2012/04/29 06:42:33
    Brian M
    This is stupid. We're eating the things. Not serenading them. If putting them in a cage is wrong, then isn't killing them and eating them?
  • RoseyRhod Brian M 2012/04/29 13:52:41
    RoseyRhod
    +5
    Humane treatment is never "stupid." Livestock deserve to be treated humanely. As well, the meat from factory farmed animals is not healthy for the consumer. The animals have to be given antibiotics to prevent infections from living in such crowded conditions. When we eat the meat, we end up with these antibiotics in our bodies. This contributes to the development of antibiotic resistance and "super germs."
  • Redneck RoseyRhod 2012/04/29 17:03:20
    Redneck
    Not to mention the steroids given to calves to speed growth. This is done by the producer before it's even sent to the stock yard to be sold to the feed lot. You can't imagine how much better home grown beef and pork is. Now, just grass fed beef isn't fit to eat, you have to finish it with feed for the last couple of months or you won't have the right amount and kind of fat (marbling) to make it tastey and tender. Grass fed alone won't create the intramuscular fat that's needed.
  • Brian M RoseyRhod 2012/05/01 09:22:10
    Brian M
    What the hell does "humane" mean? It has no meaning. It's just a word vacuous people with vacuous minds say to make themselves feel all moral and holier-than-thou.

I'm not letting you get away with this, because if you can make their living conditions a question of "humaneness" then you can certainly make killing and eating them an issue.

And think about your stupidity here for a second, too. You're using a word, humane, which derives from the word human. These are animals. They are not humans. We have no moral obligation to them.
  • Tentime... Brian M 2012/04/29 19:26:38
    Tentimesinfinity
    +1
    If you were being executed for a crime, for example, would you rather be executed painlessly or by being tortured to death?
    And in this case, animals never even committed a crime, so this is not a good idea, it's a great idea.
  • Brian M Tentime... 2012/05/01 09:23:30
    Brian M
    If they committed no crime, then why allow killing them at all?

This is where this ends up, the banning of all animal slaughter. I won't let you nuts get away with this. They aren't humans, they are animals. I have no more moral obligation toward them than I do a turnip.
  • Tentime... Brian M 2012/05/02 15:37:05
    Tentimesinfinity
    Actually, it seems you have no moral at all, nor common sense. Humans are omnivores, which means they eat plants and meat, you can tell by the how our teeth are built. But just because were going to eat them, doesn't mean we have to make them suffer.
    I mean, are you really that selfish, and cruel that you wont at least let them have a quite death?
  • Brian M Tentime... 2012/05/04 18:40:59 (edited)
    Brian M
    Self has nothing to do with it. Why is it that whenever someone does something you whatever-book-you-worship thumpers don't like or declare "immoral", you criticize them as selfish? How about realizing that you are selfish when you declare that your own morals are some kind of universal, objective truth?
  • Tentime... Brian M 2012/05/05 19:04:49
    Tentimesinfinity
    I'm not sure what religion has to do with this, but makeing liveing creatures suffer just because you don't want to pay a little extra money, or your paranoide (about "diseases") is selfish. And telling someone they are selfish ,especially if it's true, does not mean your selfish. It has nothing to do with being selfish, selfish means putting yourself before others.
  • Laura Brian M 2012/04/29 22:16:39
    Laura
    Often these animals are kept in absolutely awful conditions. Chickens with their feet grown over cage bars, cows and pigs covered in filth and sores. It is unhealthy all around. These animals are routinely fed antibiotics to keep infections under control. It is just an all over bad situation.
  • HBO Laura 2012/04/29 23:19:36
    HBO
    +1
    And pigs left in overcrowded conditions will start snacking on each other. Lovely thought when you're eating your morning bacon.
  • Laura HBO 2012/04/29 23:26:32
    Laura
    That's so depressing! :-(. And eeew
  • Brian M HBO 2012/05/01 09:24:24
    Brian M
    It's all protein. God, who let the food prudes outbreed the rest of us?
  • Not-A-RINO 2012/04/29 04:04:22
    Not-A-RINO
    Cage-free so the birds can become diseased before they are killed. Yeah, good idea. It's yet another feel-good rip off.
    .
    http://www.naturalnews.com/02...
  • RoseyRhod Not-A-RINO 2012/04/29 13:54:20
    RoseyRhod
    +4
    Actually, the meat from factory farmed animals is full of antibiotics. They have to be given the antibiotics to prevent them from getting diseases associated with living in such crowded conditions. Free ranging animals rarely have to be given antibiotics.
  • Not-A-RINO RoseyRhod 2012/04/29 14:50:19
    Not-A-RINO
    The cage-free version is sold to induce buyers to think the chickens are treated to a nicer life, but they are not - as you have seen. The price for this option is much higher than traditional eggs.

I suppose giving antibiotics to livestock is a price we pay to have disease-free food as long as it is tested to be safe for consumers. Anyone who knows anything about chickens will tell you they are a filthy lot. As for trace amounts of things which are not exactly wholesome, that is why God gave you a liver to filter out impurities.

My bottom line is that it's good that people can buy what they choose. If they feel better about it, then they got their money's worth, I suppose.

Have an awesome day!
  • Mariah Lyn 2012/04/29 02:55:40
    Mariah Lyn
    +1
    It keeps on saying that it will cost more money, but it will also have money because the chickens will live longer if they can move around
  • Redneck Mariah Lyn 2012/04/29 16:59:33
    Redneck
    a laying hen is only good for about 3 years, then it's time for chicken and dumplings. or dog food in their case.
  • Rubyking 2012/04/29 02:31:45
    Rubyking
    they should follow suit. but that won't bk any less of a fast food restaurant.
  • Jaynane 2012/04/29 00:49:55
    Jaynane
    +7

2014/10/31 16:38:39