PUBLIC OPINION > 'Mommy Tattoos' Are Totally Tacky

No, we aren't talking about those heart-shaped tattoos that say "Mom" on them, although those are pretty tacky. We're talking about tattoos that moms get to commemorate their children -- like the set of coordinates on Angelina Jolie's shoulder, each one pinpointing the birth place of one of her kids. Now that tattoos are more popular than ever, even things like that are increasing in popularity. One mom told Fox 4 Dallas-Forth Worth that she had a "flower garden" on her feet, with plants representing her three oldest children. Tattoos are already a divisive topic, but mommy tattoos seem a little easier to relate to, so we asked SodaHeads if they're any better.

More Women Getting 'Mommy Tattoos': Sweet or Tacky?

65% Think They're Tacky

Not even a newborn baby could make ink-injections any cuter. Nearly two-thirds of respondents think the "mommy tattoo" trend is worth an eye roll or two. Some even went so far as to call it "trashy." But there were two schools of thought among the naysayers: Those who think tattoos in general are a bad idea, and those who like tattoos but don't think the mommy tat thing is the way to do it. One commenter ominously wrote, "Most parents with tattoos of their children's names usually don't have custody of them. Truth."

Men Think It's Madness

The gender gap here was enormous. Female voters were actually split evenly on the idea, whereas only 20% of men were okay with it. That's a 30% difference! Now we have to wonder if the results would have been different if we'd asked about a "daddy tattoo." We've seen in past polls that men tend to vote against women getting tattoos at all.

The Half-Life of a Tat

The optimal age for a mommy tat is 13-17, but unless you're eligible to appear on "Teen Mom," that's not really the demographic this topic focuses on. The older a respondent was, the more appalled they became. Only 13% of voters over 55 thought it was a sweet idea. One commenter over 60 warned, "Speaking from experience and having a couple, they look nice when you are young ... but you will wish you had and eraser in your later years."

Parents Will Have No Part in It

Well, technically parents will have every part in it... But only 25% of them are actually considering. Those who said they'd like to have kids some day were about 20% more enthusiastic about mommy tats, even more so than those who said they don't want kids at all.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our original poll about mommy tattoos. We'd love to hear from you!

• Brad 2012/01/26 22:29:22
    Brad
    +10
    Any tat can be garbage... The design artist and sentimental value is everything. What could possibly mean more to someone then their children.

• BUD LITE 2012/03/20 13:46:04
    BUD LITE
    +1
    In my opinion tattoos on anyone make them look cheap. It also makes makes me wonder about their ability to make good decisions. That's why I don't hire people who have visible tattoos. If you"re upset because you can't find a job it might be your tattoos. Many, many business owners say they feel the same as I do. Just FYI.
  • Groundskeeper Willy 2012/03/01 18:27:46
    Groundskeeper Willy
    +2
    a tattoo regardless of what IT is, can make a beautiful woman ugly and and ugly woman, uglier. Boorst calls them slut patches. I will say I have to agree. They are not cute, nor neat, nor trendy. They are a permanent mark of total stupidity.
  • Vitalani 2012/02/28 02:59:28 (edited)
    Vitalani
    +1
    What's the difference between people who have tats and those who don't? The people WITH them aren't judging YOU for NOT having them.
  • BUD LITE Vitalani 2012/03/20 13:49:38
    BUD LITE
    +1
    Maybe those people who don't are just a little more intelligent.
  • Vitalani BUD LITE 2012/03/20 22:33:40
    Vitalani
    +1
    Why so judgmental? There is no correlation between intelligence and tattoos. Sorry.
  • TKramar Vitalani 2012/04/03 08:37:08
    TKramar
    Intelligent enough not to pay a couple hundred bucks to get drawn on. If I wanted that, I could do it myself. But I don't need to be inked, I wasn't born with it, and there's no reason for me to have it.
  • Vitalani TKramar 2012/04/03 13:51:11
    Vitalani
    No statistics huh?
    I see, how intelligent of you to judge others for having something that they aren't judging you over.
    You also were not born with a shirt, socks, pants, or shoes but you still wear those don't ya? I don't care if there's no reason for YOU to have them? That's got nothing to do with a thing and I wasn't discussing YOUR "need" to have a tattoo.
  • TKramar Vitalani 2012/04/03 16:28:02 (edited)
  • Vitalani TKramar 2012/04/03 16:46:05 (edited)
    Vitalani
    +1
    If someone is going to claim that people are less intelligent due to something they partake in then YES you can bet your a** you better have something to back up your claim.

Unnecessary? I am totally baffled by your ignorance. I can't even put it into words.... People like you are why my faith in humanity is fading so quickly. I feel very sorry for you....
  • TKramar Vitalani 2012/04/03 18:02:37 (edited)
    TKramar
    Less wise. It is only commonsense to not waste money...particularly on something SO unnecessary.
  • Vitalani TKramar 2012/04/17 23:52:28
    Vitalani
    You mean like shoes, haircuts, soda, pillows, couches, chairs, flowers, earrings, makeup, bedsheets, vitamins, bottled water, sliced bread, and things of that nature? Right.
  • TKramar Vitalani 2012/04/18 11:24:45 (edited)
    TKramar
    My employer requires me to wear shoes, so that's not unnecessary. Soda provides fluids and a certain amount of calories to burn that bread or water alone do not. I burn a lot of calories.

As for the others? Unnecessary. Especially "bottled" water, if you were going to have water, why need it be bottled?
  • Vitalani TKramar 2012/04/18 16:49:50
    Vitalani
    I think you missed my point.lol.
    People spend money on LOTS of unnecessary things.
    Most of what our money goes into is entirely unnecessary.
  • TKramar Vitalani 2012/04/18 21:58:52
    TKramar
    Mine goes to food and shelter. Basic needs for survival.
  • Vitalani TKramar 2012/04/18 22:01:21 (edited)
    Vitalani
    You have spent money on unnecessary things in your life and you know it. Don't give me that crap lol.
  • TKramar Vitalani 2012/04/19 19:12:01
    TKramar
    Nope. Can't afford to.

Dates for me were meeting in a park or some other public place--I've never even taken a woman to dinner or a movie, ever.
  • Vitalani TKramar 2012/04/19 19:15:40 (edited)
    Vitalani
    Everyone has. Unless you were raised in a commune in the forest you have spent money on unnecessary things.
  • TKramar Vitalani 2012/04/19 19:34:37
    TKramar
    Um, maybe when my parents were TAKING my money from me, perhaps you might consider that "unnecessary". I've never had any "extra" money, all my money has gone to food and shelter.
  • Vitalani TKramar 2012/04/19 19:58:43
    Vitalani
    Sorry I'm not buying it. Pretty much everyone in this country has bought unnecessary things.
  • TKramar Vitalani 2012/04/19 20:05:39
    TKramar
    Must not have been as poor as me. The poor struggle to survive, and don't tend to buy unnecessary things. I don't understand why anyone would waste a dollar on the lottery when that dollar could go to buying food to eat.
  • Vitalani TKramar 2012/04/19 20:16:03
    Vitalani
    So you've never had any extra cups, knives, forks, or plates? Socks? Never more than 7 shirts? Never had a haircut? Never used a washer or dryer? Never had a radio or bought a CD? Never ridden a carnival ride? Never had a pet?how about a cell phone? Computer? Internet? Tv? How about paper napkins? Underwear? Backpack for school?
  • TKramar Vitalani 2012/04/19 20:28:04
    TKramar
    I have two shirts and two pairs of pants. I give myself haircuts with a razor I got as a gift. I don't listen to music--waste of time. Never been to a carnival, nor had any pets. I don't have a cellphone, landline only, and most jobs require you to have one for some reason. This computer isn't mine, and my job also requires me to go online--they don't print out schedules anymore, you have to go online and check. I don't own a TV or paper napkins, why use napkins when you have clothes?
  • Vitalani TKramar 2012/04/19 20:38:01
    Vitalani
    Look I apologize, but I just don't buy it. Lot's of things we all spend money on are unnecessary. And you have undoubtedly spent money on things which are not necessary.
  • TKramar Vitalani 2012/04/19 20:40:30
    TKramar
    The only things I spent money on were things I needed to survive. I don't have money to waste on "extras".
  • sladewhite 2012/02/22 02:13:31
    sladewhite
    +1
    65% of people are stupid for thinking its tacky...thats what my scientific study says
  • rk 2012/02/18 17:14:20
    rk
    +1
    I do not like tatoos at all. They are for Sailors
  • TKramar rk 2012/04/03 08:37:38
    TKramar
    +1
    I'm a former Sailor, and I do NOT have any tattoos.
  • <3 Xina )O( Wolfe <3 2012/02/07 18:21:16
    <3 Xina )O( Wolfe <3
    I'm all for having something to symbolize your child, maybe not the name itself and definitely not a portrait, but some sort of symbol would be sweet. It has meaning to the wearer of the tattoo and it's not completely embarrassing to the child. Tho I myself have yet to decide whether or not I'd get one for me and my children. And I definitely wouldn't ever do it for anyone but my future child(ren).
  • Fjord Prefect 2012/01/30 18:42:21
    Fjord Prefect
    +6
    Tats are a trashy fad. They never look good and as you get older they look worse. It's just another attention-seeking affectation. Vanity is always ugly.
  • Justina... Fjord P... 2012/04/17 23:36:09
    Justina Jackson
    How is it attention-seeking affectation if you get it for your self? If its hidden how exactly is that vain?!
  • SherriWishard-Mikeska 2012/01/30 16:51:27
    SherriWishard-Mikeska
    +1
    I thinkk it's no different in meaning and reason that the mother/children jewelry where you have the childrens bithstones along with mom's or pendants with names on them. Ttur those are only temporary but Tatting is so accepted these days I don't see the problem. I mean seriously how many people haven't want a tattoo where it was hidden from most people's view. I am 56 now and before I die I will have a tattoo that speaks to my life. the love of tats willl never go away now because its not like fashion...most people aren't going to have the cash to remove tattoo so lots of us will grow old with them. As for tatting extreme like making yourself look like a lizards or lion that is a whole different subjuct. and for goddess sake PLEASE don't do you own tat or go to a place that promises tats in 20 minutes or less for $15....that is f'ing scary. I altually think a small flower with your children's names o the petals is a very sweet and beautiful idea....UNLESS ITS ON YOU FACE....SCARY! lol
  • SherriW... SherriW... 2012/01/30 16:58:01
    SherriWishard-Mikeska
    +1
    I also agree a lot of people have their kiddos tatted on them because they don't have custody, which is sweet however some of those have never even seen their child. I know personally of a complete idiot who could not stay out of jail, after his baby was born as soon as he got out of jail he ran to get a tat "for" his daughter he never saw. after a couple of more jail stays he finally saw the mom and baby...he ripped of his shirt he man style to show off the child's name all the way acroos chest AND abdomen...the baby's full name...but alas there was a boo-boo ...the tat artist wasn't to blame he did what he was told however that man trying proof his love had misspelled the baby's name....uhhh-duhhhh can we all say stupid together.... :)
  • METALheadMom 2012/01/30 16:43:11 (edited)
    METALheadMom
    FOR THE SAKE OF THIS STUDY - I AM 56, MOTHER OF FOUR, GRANDMOTHER OF ONE.

I have several tats, design tats, none are names, but would have if they were not so dang expensive.
    I am from the school of thought of "they are art pieces with intense personal meaning, placed on a part of the body that can be covered."

Being a woman, I am not crazy about women putting tats on their arms, don't like "old school" common everyday tats, marijuana leaves, devils, angel wings (I mean, really?), motorcycle brand names...... THAT stuff says "HEY look, I have a tat too"! No style, nothing artistic about them, nothing original about any of it. meh....boring....

Family who are proud of their family and friends enough to put names or identifying symbols on themselves is COOL beyond cool. And "memory" pieces of lost ones touches my heart. My best friend had a piece done of her Father after he passed - what better way to show your everlasting unconditional love than a well done tat? uptoheaven
  • BUD LITE METALhe... 2012/03/20 13:52:42
    BUD LITE
    A very poor example to set for your grand kid.
  • Klutzey 2012/01/30 15:17:16 (edited)
    Klutzey
    I've seen mothers who've lost children get tattoos to honor the life that was loss and in a way they live on. That is always very moving to me but depends on what they do and where they put it that would make it tacky or beautiful. But I can't imagine getting one for my child if that wasn't the case. On a side note, if you are a parent but aren't in your child's life don't be a moron and get tattoos for them that is tacky. People would know you had kids if you were actually with them. And memories you missed will stick with you longer than that trashy tattoo!
  • amalz spongebob 2012/01/30 11:51:05
    amalz spongebob
    eew !
  • Metaldane 2012/01/30 03:31:32
    Metaldane
    I understand why they want em but I personally don't dig em love tattoos though and I guess I'm rare cuz unlike most guys I love a girl with tats lol
  • Sarah TH Marshall Switcher 2012/01/30 03:19:27
    Sarah TH Marshall Switcher
    +1
    Honestly not seeing the problem or why this is a trashy concept. Kind of depends on the person getting it and the tattoo itself. For my part I don't really understand the thought process- is having the kid not enough to commemorate? And I hate baby feet tattoos.
  • Natasha 2012/01/30 02:42:10
    Natasha
    +1
    Wow!... those are so 100% tacky!
  • TKramar 2012/01/30 01:58:52
    TKramar
    +2
    All tats are tacky.

2014/08/29 10:23:45