PUBLIC OPINION > Men Are Less Moral Than Women

A recent study published in Scientific American suggests that men are more likely than women to bend the rules a bit -- little white lies, omitting facts, cutting corners, that kind of thing. This can come into play in business settings, or in relationships. But we wanted to know how the public perceives gender morality. Does the general public really think men are less moral than women?

We don't need studies to determine that men are less moral -- more than two-thirds of the public already believes it. One commenter noted, "You only have to look at the current congressional male population to see that." It's true, politicians are much more likely to be male. Coincidence? We think not.

Women Are Convinced

We were hoping the gender breakdown would reveal an interesting dynamic, and we weren't disappointed. Men were actually split -- half of them agreed their gender was less moral, while the other half pointed to women. But the female vote was overwhelming. 85% of women think men are the more immoral gender.

Parents Are Even-Handed

Compared to voters who don't have kids, parents were relatively undecided. The majority still picked men, but not by much. It takes a lot of work to raise a child, and it takes two to get through it. Plus, babies have a tendency to soften hearts. So it's no wonder there's a little bit of shared moral responsibility among parents.

Singles Distrust Men

Married couples were also more likely to give men a break, probably for the same reason parents were -- they've had to work together. Singles, on the other hand, hardly gave men a chance. Nearly three-fourths said men are less moral. Interestingly, divorcees were one of the few demographics to vote for women over men.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about gender morality. We'd love to hear from you!

• BOOGIE-WOOGIE-MUSIC-MAN-ROC... 2012/06/22 14:51:07
    BOOGIE-WOOGIE-MUSIC-MAN-ROCK-N-R
    It's about 50%. Attitudes and opinions can change without notice. LOL
  • merlinskiss 2012/06/22 14:42:09
    merlinskiss
    I think it is equal myself. Have seen it in both sexes...
  • Josh Robinson 2012/06/22 14:26:10
  • wilsonmja Josh Ro... 2012/06/22 15:31:46
    wilsonmja
    Punctuation: look into it.
  • Josh Ro... wilsonmja 2012/06/24 00:24:12 (edited)
    Josh Robinson
    Cute... What are you her brother...? You popped in for a sarcastic criticism... that's your contribution..? Brilliant. You have a very clever sense of humor by the way. Do you do stand-up..? Wait yea... that's you on the marquis.. laugh factory
  • Defcon 2012/06/22 14:16:58
    Defcon
    +2
    This stereotype is 100% bull. (like all the other stereotypes) you can't measure morals
  • Bali 2012/06/22 13:55:10
    Bali
    +1
    BS....women are far less
  • MorbidCynic 2012/06/22 13:32:41 (edited)
    MorbidCynic
    Chastity has always been important to me, but some liberal minded bigots like to assume I'm a loser who can't get laid.
  • tobe 2012/06/22 13:30:02
    tobe
    +2
    i think its all about the person and to stereotype an entire gender is sextist. Ive met some men who didn't give a crap about people or their pets, pretty much anything but themselves. Ive met women that were the same as they were. Ive met men and women alike who would have no problem dropping you off in a dark alley to take your chances and leave without thinking a single drop about what happened to you and stay gone. Ive also had a guy I went to high school who i didn't know hardly at all find me living in a truck in the city and he took me in and gave me a warm futon to sleep on and food to eat for no reason that to be kind without a kick out date. Ive met women who would drop everything in their lives to comfort you and help you when they are suffering from problems worse than your own just because they see you hurting. Its not about gender. Its about the person and who they are.
  • Alexis 2012/06/22 13:14:28
    Alexis
    I believe it.
  • phil white 2012/06/22 12:30:53 (edited)
    phil white
    +2
    Men's role is to defend the family and tribe against external threats. This often entails violence, combat, espionage, trickery and decite.

Womens role is to protect and nuture the young.

If men were to disappear from the earth tomorrow, to defend their children women would soon become as cut throat and violent as men.

As did Mercedes Ruehl in 1:10 flat in the movie "Big"

Women aren't more more moral, men are just not as fortunate as women.
  • D D 2012/06/22 11:11:58
    D D
    Yep. Something I already knew.
  • Kigan 2012/06/22 10:53:23
    Kigan
    +4
    Wow, talk about a sexist poll forcing a sexist response.

Why is this tolerated?
  • wilsonmja Kigan 2012/06/22 15:34:45
    wilsonmja
    Because this site is about freedom of speech.
  • michael.borsack 2012/06/22 10:36:55
    michael.borsack
    Men are less moral, going w/ my gut feeling.
  • Bulanova (Team Hargitay) 2012/06/22 09:06:02 (edited)
    Bulanova (Team Hargitay)
    +2
    I love (see: hate) these sexist polls designed to do nothing but inflame people. You're a really fun site when you don't do stuff like that, but I know how controversy works... sadly.

I don't see why sexism is so openly tolerated in our society still to this day, while race is taboo. You would NEVER see a SodaHead poll, "Who is less moral? Whites or blacks?" but comparing women and men in the same baiting fashion is A-okay. "Dr. Pepper 10! It's not for black people!" Can you imagine how that would go over? Those are just a couple of examples.
  • rusty lemonade 2012/06/22 07:02:02
  • Cyan9 rusty l... 2012/06/22 07:30:48
    Cyan9
    +1
    circular reasoning much?
  • Wonder ... Cyan9 2012/06/22 15:31:37
  • Cyan9 Wonder ... 2012/06/22 22:10:31
    Cyan9
    I would hope that morality was controlled by more important things than hormonal balances. Seems like an overly nihilistic claim.
  • Wonder ... Cyan9 2012/06/23 00:34:05
  • Cyan9 Wonder ... 2012/06/23 00:44:08 (edited)
    Cyan9
    +1
    Except for the fact morality is much more than altruism and "trust". Also an article worthy to note: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/0...
  • rusty l... Cyan9 2012/06/22 20:07:26
  • Bulanov... rusty l... 2012/06/22 09:06:59 (edited)
    Bulanova (Team Hargitay)
    +1
    It's not testosterone that makes a person immoral, it's the Y chromosome.
  • Cyan9 Bulanov... 2012/06/22 09:23:45
    Cyan9
    I hope your response is sarcastic.
  • Bulanov... Cyan9 2012/06/22 09:25:53
    Bulanova (Team Hargitay)
    +1
    lol, yes indeed it is.
  • Defcon rusty l... 2012/06/22 14:19:43
    Defcon
    Dumb
  • CAPISCE rusty l... 2012/06/23 02:42:35
  • T A 2012/06/22 06:48:59
    T A
    The results don't surprise me. But I don't think they have anything to do with the question.
  • Shipra 2012/06/22 06:40:01
    Shipra
    +1
    I agree but not totally though, a person needs to implement morals in his/her life in order to be a better human being and that depends wholly on self.One must always remember one thing-"always do the right thing no matter what happens"
  • Bob DiN 2012/06/22 06:36:32
    Bob DiN
    I don't believe it.
  • Defcon Bob DiN 2012/06/22 14:20:14
    Defcon
    Good, I don't ether
  • Bob DiN Defcon 2012/06/22 14:54:27
    Bob DiN
    Agreed!
  • zachary rhodin 2012/06/22 05:35:21
    zachary rhodin
    +4
    I don't think this is always the case. even so i do agree with the outcome.

believe me its hard to combat a system desgined to Undermine the very fabric of being a man.
  • Hotcho 2012/06/22 03:49:49
    Hotcho
    +1
    And also More Horny
  • realist 2012/06/22 03:27:50
    realist
    +2
    Its not uprising to me that morality has taken a complete nosedive in the last 20-30 years. What has increased in that time I wonder, hmm....*cough* Feminism. The latest craze of 'erotic e-books' as well as the free-love movement is heavily driven from them, while basically everything on the planet that supports any kind of religion is shunned by them. There's far more evidence to support an decrease in societies morality caused by women then men. If for no other reason than guys acting immoral are tolerated far less then women.
  • Bulanov... realist 2012/06/22 09:46:51 (edited)
    Bulanova (Team Hargitay)
    +2
    In a way, I think you may be right when you say feminism has contributed to the overall lower quality of society's morals, but not in the way you probably are attributing it. Back in the 50s or so, men and women were held to different standards. Men could "get away with" more. It was even expected that men would do worse things than women, and was excused by society with phrases like "well, boys will be boys." Feminism allowed women to fall to the same standards as were societally acceptable at the time of men but prohibited of women. So now instead of 50% of the population getting a pass by society to behave immorally, we're closer to 80%-90% of the population getting a pass by society to behave immorally (with now-outdated phrases like, "Hey, it's the nineties!"). It may have lowered the overall moral standing of society, but it's fairer when it's on a single standard for both sexes instead of a double standard. Just my thoughts.
  • realist Bulanov... 2012/06/23 02:30:15
    realist
    Take your point and yes if we extend the time period back to the last 100 years + then I agree 100% more of the immortality in society was attributed to men. Preventing men from taking advantage of women was a much needed step, but we are there now, so in my opinion western society has no need for the feminist movement anymore. That's why I guess I still believe in society today women are more to blame for the 'further' degradation of our morality. There is more porn targeted at men, hands down, no worries agree there. BUT its kept 'somewhat' out of the public eye. Either late night, hidden from view for the most part, and kept under a watchful eye. Whereas within every day society I know for myself at least more of my female friends post semi naked pictures of men on their facebook's then guys posting girls. The most sexual sitcoms on TV appear to be targeted mainly at females. This go's for movies as well, even young boys get promoted as sexy in shows targeted to girls. Most pop stars who are female are highly sexualised for very young female audiences as role models which I would say is the WORST current form of moral degradation. The hip/hop RnB genre is probably the only area of music where men still somewhat act like sexual dirtbags, but then take a lo...
    Take your point and yes if we extend the time period back to the last 100 years + then I agree 100% more of the immortality in society was attributed to men. Preventing men from taking advantage of women was a much needed step, but we are there now, so in my opinion western society has no need for the feminist movement anymore. That's why I guess I still believe in society today women are more to blame for the 'further' degradation of our morality. There is more porn targeted at men, hands down, no worries agree there. BUT its kept 'somewhat' out of the public eye. Either late night, hidden from view for the most part, and kept under a watchful eye. Whereas within every day society I know for myself at least more of my female friends post semi naked pictures of men on their facebook's then guys posting girls. The most sexual sitcoms on TV appear to be targeted mainly at females. This go's for movies as well, even young boys get promoted as sexy in shows targeted to girls. Most pop stars who are female are highly sexualised for very young female audiences as role models which I would say is the WORST current form of moral degradation. The hip/hop RnB genre is probably the only area of music where men still somewhat act like sexual dirtbags, but then take a look at the females lol. I guess im trying to say that while there are no 'double standards', females seem to be left entirely unchecked in modern society and have more then overstepped the boundaries of what men have come to know as acceptable. Theres also crime of course, and I can't argue that women commit more crime then men...so I suppose I could concede overall its even, though I just can't look past how popular culture continues to lower the morals of our female youth. Its horrible.
  • Bulanov... realist 2012/06/23 09:13:57
    Bulanova (Team Hargitay)
    I agree with you on most of your points, especially about pop culture teaching our girls they must sexualize themselves to mean anything. It's very interesting that modern feminism has led to women degrading themselves. In that regard, feminism still has a long way to go. But, feminism means equality for both genders. So, even though the root word has a female-leaning, there are still a lot of areas where both women AND men are treated unfairly. For men, it is primarily in the family court area. True feminism (not this modern feminazi backlash stuff) wants both sexes treated fairly, and there is room to for improvement to treat men better in this world as well. That is why I think true feminism is still needed. But this new-age feminism is for the birds, IMO. :)

2014/11/28 00:22:42