PUBLIC OPINION > Men Are Less Moral Than Women

A recent study published in Scientific American suggests that men are more likely than women to bend the rules a bit -- little white lies, omitting facts, cutting corners, that kind of thing. This can come into play in business settings, or in relationships. But we wanted to know how the public perceives gender morality. Does the general public really think men are less moral than women?

We don't need studies to determine that men are less moral -- more than two-thirds of the public already believes it. One commenter noted, "You only have to look at the current congressional male population to see that." It's true, politicians are much more likely to be male. Coincidence? We think not.

Women Are Convinced

We were hoping the gender breakdown would reveal an interesting dynamic, and we weren't disappointed. Men were actually split -- half of them agreed their gender was less moral, while the other half pointed to women. But the female vote was overwhelming. 85% of women think men are the more immoral gender.

Parents Are Even-Handed

Compared to voters who don't have kids, parents were relatively undecided. The majority still picked men, but not by much. It takes a lot of work to raise a child, and it takes two to get through it. Plus, babies have a tendency to soften hearts. So it's no wonder there's a little bit of shared moral responsibility among parents.

Singles Distrust Men

Married couples were also more likely to give men a break, probably for the same reason parents were -- they've had to work together. Singles, on the other hand, hardly gave men a chance. Nearly three-fourths said men are less moral. Interestingly, divorcees were one of the few demographics to vote for women over men.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about gender morality. We'd love to hear from you!

• Rev. Hosanna 2013/08/28 06:42:54
    Rev. Hosanna
    I don't think immorality is sexist.
  • carlos c n 2012/10/02 18:15:05
    carlos c n
    Immoral false prophets to come:
    "The great changes in the world, foretold in advance of My Second Coming, are about to unfold layer by layer.
    The time for the imposters who will claim to come in My Name and to present themselves to the world is very close.
    So many people will be fooled into believing these false prophets for they will announce themselves with great pomp.
    But one among them will deceive many for he will present himself as the king, in a humble way, to convince people that he is I, Jesus Christ.
    This man will tell the world he is the Messiah and he will be applauded by many leading world figureheads.
    They will present him, first, as an extraordinary and compassionate political leader.
    He will be seen as a talented peace-maker as I have told you. His airs and graces will display a mystical image which will seem to be of divine origin.
    His handsome good looks and his tantalising personality will appeal to the masses.
    He is to be revealed to the world soon and his appearance will be sudden.
    Those leaders who will present him as a saviour, the man who will bring an end to war in the Middle East are respected in many parts of the world. This is why this false messiah will be accepted so easily.
    After some time his appeal will spread. The media will praise his dip...

Immoral false prophets to come:
    After some time his appeal will spread. The media will praise his diplomatic skills and his following will be large.
    This is the man who will say he is the messiah. He will tell everyone that he is Jesus Christ, who has come back to announce his second coming.
    He is the antichrist.
    Do not be fooled for one moment. I, Jesus Christ, came in the flesh the first time to save humanity. But know this. I will not come in the flesh this time. I will come, as a thief in the night. I will prepare the world, through these messages, but I will not tell you the day or the hour for I do not know this. Only My Father knows of the time.

I will announce My Second Coming before the sign of My arrival which will appear in the skies all over the world.
    Any man who claims to be Jesus Christ and who walks the earth as a man is a liar.
    Run for he will bring untold misery and suffering. His deceit will lull souls into a false love of God. He will twist the Truth. Those who follow him are in great danger".

Jesus Thewarningsecondcoming
  • Todd The Libertarian 2012/08/22 22:31:59
    Todd The Libertarian
    There are both good n evil in both genders.
  • helinazubeth.sam 2012/07/29 12:55:15
    helinazubeth.sam
    +1
    yeah....sometimes...got angry
  • mikeeonly 2012/07/21 10:30:54
    mikeeonly
    have you ever seen a bunch of women at a male stripper event? They are worse than the men maybe because they aren't exposed to it enough. I think both can be equally demoralizing, but men go that way easier. We can't help it, it's our hormones
  • valeria la potra 2012/07/20 08:36:32
    valeria la potra
    +1
    Yes:) Most men are liars,pigs,sex addict,and liars:( I can say this because of experience i've had:(
  • Marlene Wilkins 2012/07/08 09:03:36
    Marlene Wilkins
    Oh, please...we girls are just better at lying about it and looking all nice and innocent. ;-) My group of girlbuddies are all pretty normal, and for each and every one of them Morals are changed expediently and adaptively. I've also known other girls to do the exact same thing, so much so that it seems the majority by leaps and bounds.
    But, once we give our Loyalty, that's set in stone.
    Until then, all's fair. :-D
  • valeria... Marlene... 2012/07/20 08:42:36
    valeria la potra
    +2
    True,but thats why i said most.If you've notice over time and time in history.Most mas murderes have been men,most pedefiles have been men,most people involved in the mafia,narcotics,or in a gang anre men.Also,most horrific murders or child abuse are caused by men.You see all the time,and men are such a pig,that they'll be willing to cheat on their wife with other girls or even transsexuals,and do it more often,and act like nothing happened!I know because trust me as a transsexual,i've seen alot of nasty crap done to me by straight married men!
  • Marlene... valeria... 2012/07/20 08:54:11
    Marlene Wilkins
    Okay, I'll concede to a certain degree based on your experiences, but not fully.
    Historically, we've had to be more 'flexible' than men to survive the Conquering Armies and such, to ensure the survival of our offspring.
  • valeria... Marlene... 2012/07/20 08:57:53 (edited)
    valeria la potra
    +1
    True:) I agree on that on you,and i just respect wemen alot:) As a transsexual,i can relate with them alot emotionaly:)Most women love to hang out with us gays/transsexuals:)Especially when we do you all your hair:)
  • Marlene... valeria... 2012/07/20 09:10:05
    Marlene Wilkins
    I've never has the pleasure of meeting a Transsexual in person, but as I have gay friends of both gender, and am Bisexual myself...well...
    (HUG)
    There, that should say it. :-)
    Words, sometimes, they just don't work, y'know?? :-)
    I've admired Transsexuals always because of th sheer conviction and dedication to go through with remodelling the physicality to reflect the person within.

It always surprises me when others get freaky about it--then I get pissed when they start with nasty remarks, and I don't remain quiet, either. ;-) I told one guy once when he was tearing on Transsexuals that he was nothing more than a sad little Asexual longing for a valid sexual identity of his own. He shut up when he took a step towards me intent on slapping some sense into me and I stood up off the sofa--it was an interesting house party, to say the least. :-D

Because of my height (6'3) I get frequently taken for a Transsexual by ignorant jackasses of both genders.
  • valeria... Marlene... 2012/07/20 09:14:40
    valeria la potra
    +1
    Lol that's good that you chut him up:) Girl:) Ohh and i'm Valeria:)
  • Marlene... valeria... 2012/07/20 09:20:55
    Marlene Wilkins
    My name's actually Marlene...some folks find that odd, just saying. :-)
    Nice to meet you, and I like the name!! :-)
    Yeah, he wasn't ready to tackle a woman taller than he was, pissed off and staring at him like a Leopard eyeing a mouse. Muttered 'I don't fight women' and wimped-off.
    Translation: 'i don't fight women who'll fight back.' I think is what he meant.
  • valeria... Marlene... 2012/07/20 13:57:23
    valeria la potra
    +1
    LOL you damm right:) Goodmorning hun:)
  • Marlene... valeria... 2012/07/21 00:16:38
    Marlene Wilkins
    Mornin' !! :-D
    TY for saying. :-)
    I'll never forget the look on his face when I stood up!! LOL
  • zachary... valeria... 2012/07/21 00:34:11
    zachary rhodin
    Hang on.. your talking about the law system, which as it stands has a totally bias with woman. ever hear of a man getting anthing out of the system No! only a sentance.

You have testostione, just like me, Valeria la potra just a lighter version yet you have
    two halfs of a same coin and can experine both sides. As a man i see you as a fellow man
    and also as a man i treat you like i do my own kind.
    I am a straight married man, and i have never hurt a woman.

But you are nether man nor woman reguardless of your affliation with woman. i can only see you as my kin.

I will say One thing that i know for sure.
    "Humans fear what they don't understand."

You are human, thus you will understand that a man is just as human as a woman. We can't all be gulity of being who we are, be it natural or not.
    We all have errors and flaws
    We are equal just in opposite ways.
  • valeria... zachary... 2012/07/21 01:09:59
    valeria la potra
    So,you're saying that you see me like a weird thing!! Wow,how inspiring!!
  • Kryo 2012/07/05 22:16:50
    Kryo
    I am the most moralistic boy I know under the age for a drivers license. I even have 4 awards to prove it.
  • on time, again 2012/07/05 11:39:23
    on time, again
    The addition of birth control has led to slutty women and I say thank god. a easy lay is a good day. Now that I pissed in the womens lib out their , deny it.
    My first marriage was to a girl from TX, and a slutty girl but at 21 thats what a man wants. she got pregnat and 11 yr.s later a DNA test proved the baby wasnt mine. yet the Courts said after the divorce I still had to pay.
  • teigan on time... 2012/07/19 18:46:59
    teigan
    The courts told my brother he had to pay to. They said since he was married to her at the time of birth he was the legal father. Funny thing is, he has a better relationship with that daughter than his biological daughter.
  • Tony Cicarella 2012/06/30 12:57:30
    Tony Cicarella
    +1
    Hmmmm, I would have to say women have caught up with men men on this one.
  • Ann 2012/06/27 18:40:28
    Ann
    Men are less moral with woman close behind.
  • shaltov72 2012/06/25 23:50:43
    shaltov72
    If this society values marriage, the unborn, the US Constitution, what is moral it would out weigh what this society, this nation is going through, if those are strong enough to do the right thing, but most Amercan citizens do not know who the enemy is! The enemy that Amerca has is in plan sight and they want to stay uninformed or do not want to know the truth! There are many wonderful people in this country, Americans are very giving and like to help each other out but as this administration and other antics of past corrupted administrations only care about their pocket books or their agenda!
  • shaltov72 2012/06/25 23:31:34
    shaltov72
    +1
    The article says they do not need a study to figure what sex is more moral than the other, if they wanted to go to nitty gritty, would they include abortion, no because our society does not include that as a morality, societies that kick out values, morals or absolutes, and do not protect the family (man to woman and maybe children) is a society that is going down hill, look at any nation when the family goes so goes the nation. And the more a society excepts immoralities each generation will except that immorality and it will continue to get worse. What is the basis of morals? Who's morals, societies or GOD's? The lower the societies morals the lower the values!
  • shaltov72 2012/06/25 23:18:46
    shaltov72
    If you look at the media, especially commercials, they usually make the guy look stupid, and he does not have any common sense. Since you have a society that has no moral absolutes, that society will fall apart, if you study any other society (ancient) it is all the same.
  • shaltov72 2012/06/25 23:14:54
    shaltov72
    For all have sinned and fallen short of GOD's glory, that means man or women because if you say your better than the other person that is a pridful attitude. GOD is forgiving and willing that none perish, that is why YESHUA (JESUS) to redeem those who take the choice to be saved.
  • Krissy 2012/06/25 19:08:27
    Krissy
    Women are less moral in quiet ways, were men don't hide things as much.
  • Caedus01 Sith Lord of the P... 2012/06/25 15:46:19
    Caedus01 Sith Lord of the PHAET
    No I'm not going out like that... Women can be just as immoral.... Our dumb asses just tend to get caught quicker!!!
  • Nikoru 2012/06/25 14:18:15
    Nikoru
    It's just different people. Both genders are the same. It depends on the person themselves.
  • PM 2012/06/25 12:52:33
    PM
    As women gain more power they will eventually experience the same corrupting influences as men. These kinds of polls are funny to me. I wonder if they consider buying outfits to wear to events and taking them back, or repackaging items that you've had for months (even years) and returning them to stores as moral? If so, men don't usually engage in those kinds of schemes. I'm sure the immorality factor in poll stemmed for the most part around faithfulness in relationships. I admit, I'm responding late, but morality is a very large topic (or behavior) and cheating is not only measured in whom you have sex with. If you believe in religion, then you'd have to consider that evil is an equal opportunity demolisher of morals and it would seem that evil would try to influence as many people of all kinds and ignore a person's sex.
  • Rev. Ho... PM 2013/08/28 06:53:15
    Rev. Hosanna
    As an adjunct to your thought...evil first approached woman whom sinned first...so who really is less moral?
  • LondonFog 2012/06/25 12:43:44
    LondonFog
    +2
    It is 50-50......
  • star 2012/06/25 04:16:11
    star
    +1
    The same
  • realist 2012/06/25 03:13:31
    realist
    +1
    no surprises in these results. It shows once again that until you are married with kids you really have no idea how the world truly works in this day and age. That and females still have no idea how bad they have become.
  • Just Jenn for Now 2012/06/25 02:58:59
    Just Jenn for Now
    +1
    This is another "study" begging for an uproar, mostly of men playing the sexist card this time. Oh don't get me wrong, if it were a study saying women were or if the majority voted that women were less moral, we'd see the same thing from our SodaHead Sisters.

Admittedly on my own experiences, I voted they were. However that doesn't mean I immediately go "Oh, a guy. He probably has no manners and doesn't have his priorities straight because he has a penis."

On the contrary, I'm friends with MOSTLY men. I myself aren't the most moral person either, and I'm very tolerant overall.

Just because majority vote says men are, doesn't mean there aren't any immoral women. In fact, could females here say they were being immoral by voting for men as being the one with less moral?

MORAL-CEPTION.
  • PM Just Je... 2013/08/28 17:23:35 (edited)
    PM
    +1
    I would say immorality, the root cause being evil, affects both sexes in equal amounts. There's no scientific reason why one human type would be more moral than the other, expecially from a religious standpoint which states that an evil force trys to corrupt all humans. It would make no sense for that force to skip over women and tempt only men. And, if one is not religious, we share 22 out of 23 pairs of chromosone identical between man and woman. I'm sure the propensity for immorality is not stored in the 1 sex chromosone.

When we tend to think of immorality, we tend to frame it around "cheating" in relationships, which would frame it in a feminine perspective, but immorality spans far more than just having sex with a partner out side of a committed relationship. Stealing, lying, backstabbing, gossiping, coveting, plotting against people, etc. are all types of immoral behavior, and I would venture to say men don't excell at a few of those as much as women.

If you had a bowl with pieces of paper, each piece with an immoral behavior written on it, and you divvied it up, you'd probably find that at the end of the day, there were just as many in the Woman pile as there are in the Man pile.

I'd have to say you hit the nail squarely on the head, this is another study begging f...

I'd have to say you hit the nail squarely on the head, this is another study begging for an uproar, this time from men. I never quit marvelling at the attempt by media to stereotype men as "bad" on TV show. Take a look at any sitcom, men are usually depicted as stupid socially inept creatures, while women are intelligent, multitasking, and successful at anything they do.
  • addie 2012/06/25 00:48:04
    addie
    I would have said most people have little ethics, but men having less sounds right because, while I have known many good men, I have known plenty of cheaters and none of the women I know would considering cheating.
  • KaylaE 2012/06/24 23:34:58
    KaylaE
    +2
    I think that (some) women just hide it better then (some) men
  • SnoopygirlLOL 2012/06/24 22:58:59
    SnoopygirlLOL
    +1
    Men and women are both immoral, they each do immoral things : gangs, drugs, whoring themselves out, rape, murder, and steal and hurt nature and others. All of those are immoral and both sexes do those things.
  • Arse-Whole 2012/06/24 22:24:01
    Arse-Whole
    +1
    Define morality? Women are instinctively narcissistic and incapable recognizing their short comings. The fact that 85% of women think men are less moral proves that. They're unapologetic about their bias... and incapable of knowing they're bias.

2014/09/03 04:51:59