PUBLIC OPINION > Kids Under 13 Should Not Be on Facebook

Though Facebook doesn't allow kids under the age of 13 to register on the site, surveys have shown that many of them sign up anyway. That's why Facebook is developing a way to let younger kids make a Facebook account through their parents' account. That way their parents can keep a close eye on it and even control certain elements of the site, such as who their kids are friends with, and youngsters won't have as much reason to set up their own. We wanted to know how the public feels about this.

Sorry, kids, but the public has spoken. Even with parent-monitored accounts, most people think kids under 13 should stay off Facebook. The primary fear is simple: Online predators. Chris Hansen can't put them all away, and though reports of children actually meeting online predators are very rare, one instance is one too many.

Teens Stand Up for Tots

Age was certainly a factor, but it didn't turn out exactly how we expected. Most age groups only showed about 18%-23% support for allowing kids on Facebook, but two groups voted differently. Teens were the most permissive, presumably because they're closest in age to the kids we're discussing. But the 35-44 group was also oddly permissive.

Women Don't Want Kids Online

Female voters were a little bit more concerned about allowing younger kids to have Facebook accounts. Women do tend to be the nurturing ones, and we could also point out here that, based on what we've seen from "To Catch a Predator," there aren't very many female online predators on the prowl.

Liberals Might Let Them

The political spectrum played out pretty much how we expected: Liberals are a little more lenient, while conservatives were a little more protective. Liberals embrace new technology and new ideas, while conservatives are hesitant to head in that direction. Both approaches are necessary to ensure a safe, civilized society.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about kids on Facebook. We'd love to hear from you!

• aibohphobia 2012/06/06 23:01:05
    aibohphobia
    +5
    I don't really think they should, because it's against Facebook's TOS. Also, most of the people that would be on it would say incredibly stupid crap, and there is already enough of that on facebook.

• M. Aronson L K 2012/06/07 02:01:51
    M. Aronson
    Again, LK, there would be no way to prevent perverts from pretending to be kids.
  • L K M. Aronson 2012/06/07 12:10:05 (edited)
    L K
    I imagine it would have to be a parent controlled site if it were for minors. I know as a recently retired elementary school teacher, I had special research sights listed so the children couldn't just google anything in school. Mainly because you wouldn't believe what could come up. So I had specific kid sites for research too. This is just because even innocent things, like googling the state of Florida, when my class was doing a simple Florida history project, brought up a photo of a naked woman with the a giant Florida tattooed on her breasts. So...as a precaution in school, I found specific kid friendly sites. I think the FB people could be clever enough to come up with some safe sites for chatting as well. It isn't my field of expertise, but these folks are the experts, so I know they could do it. The children would have to accept the parent control thing. But, these kids today are very computer savvy and should have a tech way to express themselves too.
  • L K M. Aronson 2012/06/07 14:24:25
    L K
    Sure there is. Parent controls. Police check those sites out all the time. The verification of membership would be with their parents and a pedophile would have to have documents etc. I think in any aspect of life there are perverts to watch out for though. ( Sadly)
  • Rafaela Kane 2012/06/06 22:24:58
    Rafaela Kane
    +1
    Should keep them off Facebook they have no idea what they are doing
  • ed Rafaela... 2012/06/07 00:21:38
    ed
    +3
    they are smarter than you think.
  • Ant ed 2012/06/07 03:34:51
    Ant
    +1
    Smart? Yes. Wise? No. Knowledgeable? Not enough. Mature? No Too many nos for them to be on a site with ALL kinds of adults.
  • ed Ant 2012/06/07 09:00:35
    ed
    +1
    I agree and it could be a way to trap predators.
  • Queen B 2012/06/06 22:20:14
    Queen B
    +3
    Kids need to read a book once in awhile and get off the damn computer and video games.
  • Rafaela... Queen B 2012/06/06 22:29:29
    Rafaela Kane
    +4
    You dont tell us what to do
  • Queen B Rafaela... 2012/06/06 22:33:43
    Queen B
    +5
    That's why most kids today are idiots. They think they have all the answers but in reality know nothing. Thanks for proving my point. The real world will be a real bitch.
  • Ant Queen B 2012/06/07 03:45:21
    Ant
    +1
    That was harsh. You have to try to talk gently to kids even if they are being disrespectful. That way, they get to see how they should behave by your good example. Name calling should be beneath you and all mature adults. I slip sometimes myself but I am trying to do better. Take care.
  • Ant Rafaela... 2012/06/07 03:38:26
    Ant
    That kind of disrespectful response to an adult is further evidence that kids like you should not be on sites that are for adults. Do what you want but I am just saying.
  • CielPha... Queen B 2012/06/06 23:22:04
    CielPhantomhive.BN-0
    +1
    Books are on the computer. The computer can exercise the mind better than paper work. You call the other person an idiot, yet you're saying the cliched response of most adults when it comes to this. Great example! Show us "Idiot kids" that everyone should think alike!
  • Queen B CielPha... 2012/06/06 23:26:09
    Queen B
    +1
    Says the 15 year old who on her profile page states she's "In class being bored and trolling XD". Thanks for proving my original response.
  • CielPha... Queen B 2012/06/06 23:45:51
    CielPhantomhive.BN-0
    +1
    I didn't say I wasn't immature, because I am, lol. Hense the fact of me fifteen. I don't see the relevance though. I'm not the one calling a group of people idiots.
  • Queen B CielPha... 2012/06/07 01:54:06
    Queen B
    I didn't say ALL...I said MOST. I must have hit a nerve. If the shoe fits....
  • CielPha... Queen B 2012/06/07 02:14:03
    CielPhantomhive.BN-0
    +1
    You didn't hit a nerve, Its just that statement was to general. I now what you said, that's still a group of people, lol. The intelligent adults take time to look at facts. We use technology all the time. Guess what. I did things in eighth grade that my parents did in at least tenth. I think its wrong for you to call anyone a idiot when you have failed to realize this and your statement to the other person was very hypocritical... Haha.
  • Queen B CielPha... 2012/06/07 02:44:48
    Queen B
    +2
    Most people...no matter what age, in today's society use technology. That's part of living in the 21st century. So what? That doesn't mean it should take the place of reading a book, because the more you read the better you are in all subjects. And my opinion of how technology has taken away from what students do or do not know, is based on seeing what comes through the school house doors over the last 20+ years. Students can be very tech savvy, but have very little else, unless their parents have insisted they do their school work and turn off the computer or video games. Their knowledge of science, history, literature and math is sorely lacking, and their attitude is "why do I need to learn this?" all the while they sit in class with their iphones texting friends or online instead of paying any attention to what the teacher is trying to teach. You admitted you were "bored in class and trolling". Why aren't you doing school work at school instead of checking out some stupid opinion site like SH? You think students in Japan, Germany, India etc. are doing that? Not hardly. Students in the US have become complacent and intellectually lazy. That's why they can't surpass the top 25 countries when tested on an international level. Education is important, and schools dumbing down the curriculum because today's youth can't take time away from their friends on facebook isn't going to help the situation.
  • CielPha... Queen B 2012/06/07 03:00:10
    CielPhantomhive.BN-0
    Totally missed my point, just saying. You can do school work on a computer and read. Its a lot more appalling... Please, kids have had that attitude for ages. My sibling actually enjoy school now. I was obviously bored because I had finished my work. Plus the fact that I take advanced courses and have time left shows my intelligence. Like I said, the things we do is harder to do than what the other Generations had. Parents now can't even help their kids with homework.. We are lazy, but that's not the point. Nothing is "dumbed down". Kids are going to naturally not want to do school work. By the way, kids teaseeach other for their English skills when typing, so it could actually help some individuals.
  • Queen B CielPha... 2012/06/07 03:31:38
    Queen B
    The curriculum in schools today is absolutely dumbed down, and there are plenty of books written about the subject if you would care to actually read about what has happened to American education since the early 80's. That's a trend that has been happening for over 30 years which has been part of America's downturn. Students who went to high school 60-70 years ago, had much more rigorous classes than students do today, and most of their parents did not know how to help them with their work, because a majority of those parents had no more than an 8th grade education before they went out to find some sort of employment, so that isn't even a valid argument. But those parents did know that a good education was a path to a better future, so they pushed their children to learn, and backed up teachers instead of fighting against them. Today every time one of their little darlings gets in trouble at school for not doing what is expected of them, the parents go to school and threaten to sue the district or want the teacher fired. Students today may take what you refer to as advanced courses, but those classes aren't as "advanced" as you would like to think they are. That is a false assumption, especially when so many students who take advanced placement classes end up having to go to r...
    The curriculum in schools today is absolutely dumbed down, and there are plenty of books written about the subject if you would care to actually read about what has happened to American education since the early 80's. That's a trend that has been happening for over 30 years which has been part of America's downturn. Students who went to high school 60-70 years ago, had much more rigorous classes than students do today, and most of their parents did not know how to help them with their work, because a majority of those parents had no more than an 8th grade education before they went out to find some sort of employment, so that isn't even a valid argument. But those parents did know that a good education was a path to a better future, so they pushed their children to learn, and backed up teachers instead of fighting against them. Today every time one of their little darlings gets in trouble at school for not doing what is expected of them, the parents go to school and threaten to sue the district or want the teacher fired. Students today may take what you refer to as advanced courses, but those classes aren't as "advanced" as you would like to think they are. That is a false assumption, especially when so many students who take advanced placement classes end up having to go to remedial classes when they get to the university level. Then they complain to mommy and daddy whom they assume will fix it for them....but that's what we have come to expect from today's "entitled" generation.
  • CielPha... Queen B 2012/06/07 03:45:02
    CielPhantomhive.BN-0
    Why when I have primary sources? Ask most parents what they have to say about that subject. I'm including the parents that finished school, so not really. At this point you kind of went off topic, but okay.. You do realize teachers are the ones bringing technology into schools, right. Just contradicted yourself there. Most students are in AIG because of there grades. I was brought into it because of the quality of my work and intelligence shown. I do admit that I am a slacker though.
  • Queen B CielPha... 2012/06/07 04:03:23
    Queen B
    +1
    Of course teachers bring technology into school to teach with it because it is but one tool to teach with...it isn't the be all and end all of teaching any subject. There are also places known as libraries and museums that provide a lot of things you can't get from sitting in front a computer screen. There is nothing wrong with technology, but kids think they should be able to spend way too much time doing nothing productive except text, surf the internet and play video games. Their interpersonal skills are lacking, as well as their attention span and writing skills. They have no use for what teachers are trying to teach them in class because of course, like yourself, they seem to have all the answers, even though you are a 15 year old self-admitted lazy slacker who gets bored in advanced placement classes. Good luck with that. By the way, you might want to work on your spelling and punctuation. It doesn't look good for advanced placement students to not pay attention to those minor details.
  • CielPha... Queen B 2012/06/07 04:24:27
    CielPhantomhive.BN-0
    +1
    They give us a laptop and post our assignments up.. Not really teaching. I agree about the museum experience. The same books that are in librarys can be found online. Like I said, you get teased for not using proper English. I don't think I have all the answers. I know I still have a lot to learn. You're the one bluntly calling a person an idiot for a statement that you should have been prepared for. I admit that I'm a slacker because I personally am. It has nothing to do with my socializing. For one, I'm anti-social, so I don't use Facebook much. I get bored because I finish my work early. Which I stated. Same to you about grammar. It doesn't look good for you to call someone an idiot without it being perfect. I actually got a scholarship for a test I took on English, so I'm not to worried about that, haha.
  • Jen Queen B 2012/06/07 13:12:03
    Jen
    You did call her an idiot, and she's a kid, lighten up. Reding this was like watching someone kicking a puppy. Horrible. Not all kids are idiots. Don't be such a tight ass.
  • Ant CielPha... 2012/06/07 05:12:42
    Ant
    I can attest to the validity of at least one thing that Queen B said. I took advanced courses in high school and still ended up having to take remedial courses when I got to college. So, when you have finished your school work and are bored,you definitely want to look into whatever extra credit work you can do or just do some extra learning on your own by reading as many books as you can. You will need that when you get to college. Trust me. Take care.
  • CielPha... Ant 2012/06/07 05:30:40
    CielPhantomhive.BN-0
    My teachers don't offer extra credit. Why? I don't know. I go on things like SH to keep from basically falling asleep, haha. I actually read a ton. I read so much that I get grounded for staying up to late or not having family time because I'm reading. I would rather do it at home though.
  • Ant CielPha... 2012/06/08 02:18:22
    Ant
    Glad to hear that, Keyona. Queen B is right about American school dumbing down their curriculums or not adequately challenging or preparing students for college. The best thing for students to do is try to teach themselves more than what their schools teach. One guy I went to high school with went so beyond the curriculum that, in consultation with his science teacher, he actually designed a project that got NASA's recognition.
  • Ant Queen B 2012/06/07 03:53:33
    Ant
    +1
    Wow,you are really being obnoxious. You know that, right? At this point I would not blame the young person for getting disrespectful. Anyway,most kids are not idiots. Why? Idiocy cannot be determined for most kids until they are no longer kids. Now,if they act and talk really stupid after they get grown and their brains have fully developed, there is a good chance they are idiots. However, calling any children idiots now is premature. Now please, start acting like a mature adult. You are embarrassing yourself. Smh
  • Queen B Ant 2012/06/07 04:09:40
    Queen B
    +1
    Did someone yank your chain? I know I didn't. You've been here what....5 days... or are you some sock puppet? If my opinion isn't to your liking,which by the way, I couldn't care less, feel free to find some place else to troll.
  • Jen Queen B 2012/06/07 13:16:02
    Jen
    No one is trolling. You are just viciously going after a kid and most decent people don't put up with that kind of behavior. This kid is obviously not stupid or idiotic. Give her some time to grow and let her learn from some of her mistakes the hard way. I promise she won't do it again.
  • Queen B Jen 2012/06/07 13:45:32
    Queen B
    What I said to Anthony goes for you also sweetums....
  • Ant Jen 2012/06/08 02:24:17
    Ant
    Wow. It amazes me that someone could be as smart as Queen B yet so ignorant and troll like in her behavior. Smh.
  • princes... Ant 2012/06/11 00:53:55
    princess-pink
    +1
    But she makes a point about how it's her opinion, weather you like it or not. The title does have the words 'public opinion'.
  • emilycanty 2012/06/06 22:17:50
  • America... emilycanty 2012/06/06 22:19:07
  • Xinea 2012/06/06 22:15:32
    Xinea
    +3
    But if they're on it anyway, at least fb is providing a way for parents to supervise threm.
  • sarahholmwood 2012/06/06 22:15:02
    sarahholmwood
    +5
    They souldnt. I am 24 and even I see stuff that creeps me out.
  • dlsofsetx 2012/06/06 22:09:37
    dlsofsetx
    +1
    This shows many parents are not properly supervising their kids.
  • CielPha... dlsofsetx 2012/06/06 23:24:09
    CielPhantomhive.BN-0
    Not really. I've seen it done in schools. Its the child's fault for being so disobedient. That's a natural thing though.
  • M. Aronson CielPha... 2012/06/07 02:08:23
    M. Aronson
    Keyona, that's the nature of kids! They don't have enough experience to know about all the dangers out there. It's one thing to *think* you know it, but it's another matter entirely to be able to see through the many sophisticated ploys that twisted adults can use to get what they want from them. I was victimized a long time ago (in the pre-home computer age) because I thought my parents' advice was stupid and overprotective, and I thought I knew soooo much more than they did. Wrong! I was an A student, in gifted programs throughout my school years, but I was a real moron outside of school, way too trusting, and I learned the hard way.

2014/10/31 12:20:47