PUBLIC OPINION > Keep Minors Out of Tanning Beds

SodaHead Living 2012/05/14 16:00:00
Following accusations that New Jersey mom Patricia Krentcil placed her 6-year-old daughter in a tanning booth, New York and Chicago lawmakers are proposing to ban minors from using tanning booths. They hope to quell the influx of teens tanning before prom and combat an increase in skin cancer over the last decade, but putting it on the books would obviously impact the tanning business. We asked the public if minors should be banned.

tanning baby

Personal freedom is well and good, but when there are mothers like Krentcil endangering their children, it becomes a matter of public safety. 83% of respondents were fine with a ban, and many thought it was badly needed. The Top Opinion read, "Nobody should use tanning booths, ever. You are literally cooking yourself, it's disgusting." Of course, they're not going to ban it for everyone, but as one commenter wrote, "It's like allowing a minor to drive." Or to smoke, or to drink. It takes a certain level of responsibility.

Libertarians Are Reluctant

Support for the ban was pretty universal, even winning over ban-wary conservatives with 84% of their vote. But the one demographic that came close to rejecting it were the libertarians. 41% of libertarians opposed the idea. As we've seen evidenced in previous polls, libertarians do tend stick to their guns on issues of banning. They genuinely don't like them.

Parents Would Be Pleased

Beyond libertarians, variance was pretty limited. Teens were a little more opposed to the ban than parents, but only by about 5%. That suggests the pre-prom teen tanners that New York lawmakers are worried about aren't all that common, which is reassuring. It also indicates most parents are going to try to keep their kids out of tanning booths whether there's a ban or not.

Men Are A Little More Opposed

One of the only other significant differences was between men and women -- a margin of about 10%. Studies have shown that women are more likely to use tanning beds, though men who use tanning beds typically use them more often. This difference could simply reflect the fact that many men are less familiar with the dangers of tanning beds, as they usually have nothing to do with the things.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about tanning beds. We'd love to hear from you!

• Izzy 2012/05/14 19:49:31
    Izzy
    +7
    Tanning is gross and unhealthy and is a public advertisement that you're a moron. But should it be age regulated? Maybe, maybe not.

• Daring ... Kerri M... 2012/05/15 23:00:58
    Daring Blasphemer BN-0
    >>>Whether or not minors are allowed to use tanning salons should be up to the business owner, NOT the state or federal government. Instead how about a ban on instituting more laws!?<<<

Yes, and we should also allow bar and liquor store owners to decide who is old enough to drink. Or maybe we should let car salesmen decide who is old enough to drive. You are correct. The people with a vested interest in selling the product or service are definitely the right people to dictate who is allowed to do what.
  • Kerri M... Daring ... 2012/05/16 02:16:40
    Kerri Mackenzie
    +1
    There are certain activities that should be regulated for the greater good. Whether or not a minor can tan in a salon isn’t one of them, even though it’s not a wise choice for them. It shouldn’t be up to the government to control everything in our lives.
  • Daring ... Kerri M... 2012/05/16 04:10:03
    Daring Blasphemer BN-0
    It is not be left up to the poor judgement of some parents to decide when their child is old enough to do things that are know to be dangerous. Liberty can not extend to the liberty to hurt children.

Much like tattooing, tanning seems like a good idea when you are young and by the time you reach the age of reason, it is too late. If your parents have poor judgement, you will be hobbled in ways beyond your control.
  • Kerri M... Daring ... 2012/05/16 18:24:20
    Kerri Mackenzie
    +1
    You're right, some parents use poor judgement when it comes to their kids, but whether you agree or not with the decisions they make, they are still the parents and it is their right to raise their children as they choose, within reason. While you and I agree that tanning, tatooing and piercing isn't a good idea for minors, and that those who do these things are likely to regret those choices later in life, it's still not proper for the government to interfere.
  • Daring ... Kerri M... 2012/05/16 23:24:02
    Daring Blasphemer BN-0
    How about car seats?
    Or 16 year old limit on driving?
    Or the drinking age?
    Voting?

Are all of these overreaches, as well?
  • Kerri M... Daring ... 2012/05/17 17:09:28
    Kerri Mackenzie
    +1
    As I've already stated, some things should be regulated such as the drinking age, or the age one is allowed to apply for a drivers license, buy tobacco or vote. Tanning is different.
  • Daring ... Kerri M... 2012/05/18 00:11:12
    Daring Blasphemer BN-0
    It is a dangerous thing to do and children are not mature enough to make these kinds of life altering decisions. As long as we have stupid parents will will need laws to protect their children from them.
  • Kerri M... Daring ... 2012/05/18 02:38:08
    Kerri Mackenzie
    Agree tanning may be harmful to minors... disagree it's any of the government's business. It should be up to the parents and tanning salon owner. Believe it or not there are many really good parents out there... and there are many responsible business owners, as well.
  • Daring ... Kerri M... 2012/05/18 04:09:26
    Daring Blasphemer BN-0
    Yes, there are. But is it the fault of children born to bad parents? It is the fault of children who fall victim to bad owners? The owners with scruples will be the minority and there will be plenty of incentive to lose those scruples. Proof of this can be found throughout the history of labor in this country. I have written extensively about it on this site.

• Melanie 2012/05/14 21:48:59
    Melanie
    +1
    I mean it's their choice. If they want to ruin their lives and get skin cancer hey, that's up to them. And my older sister started seriously tanning at 15 and started using a bed at 16. Hey, my mom said my sister is paying so that's her choice of what comes out of it. She looks pretty at least.
  • Daring ... Melanie 2012/05/15 23:16:52
    Daring Blasphemer BN-0
    Why are children limited from other activities?
    Is it because society likes to control children? Or is it because children are impulsive and possibly a danger to themselves or others?
    Adults were once teenagers and before that we were children. We know what it is like to be young and feel you are old enough to make life changing decisions, but we ALSO know what youthful ignorance costs as time goes on...
    You have your whole life to ruin your skin and possibly develop any number of cancers.
    years of tanning
  • Artisan Rose ☽✪☾☥ 2012/05/14 20:57:54
    Artisan Rose ☽✪☾☥
    +2
    Tanning is disgusting.
  • megan 2012/05/14 20:55:02
    megan
    +3
    when you are 16, you should be old enough to tan, vote, drive, work, and pay taxes. By 18, you should be able to drink.
  • Daring ... megan 2012/05/15 23:21:03
    Daring Blasphemer BN-0
    http://img.ibtimes.com/www/da...
  • megan Daring ... 2012/05/16 00:14:27 (edited)
    megan
    +1
    Dont get me wrong, I am against tanning booths too. But I am also against discrimination and fear towards adolescents.
  • Daring ... megan 2012/05/16 04:13:22
    Daring Blasphemer BN-0
    How is limiting tanning to those over eighteen a discrimination different from that against under aged drinking, driving or tattooing? I do not fear adolescents and gave no indication of such in my post.
  • megan Daring ... 2012/05/16 16:19:01
    megan
    +1
    I know, I dont think you fear adolescents. You care about them, and yes, age restrictions have their place but I just think they go overboard. Obviously 10 year olds shouldn't be able to drink alcohol, but 18 year olds? They work, pay taxes, go to war, vote, drive, do everything but drink. Why are they denied this right? And 16 year olds? They also work, pay taxes, and drive, but why cant they vote? Growing up is a gradual process. You dont wake up one day magically an all knowing adult. So you can't just go from having no rights and no say in anything to having all the rights in the world. You wont know what to do. Humans grow up very slowly, so they should be slowly granted new rights and privileges as they mature.
  • Daring ... megan 2012/05/16 23:26:42
    Daring Blasphemer BN-0
    Agreed. There is no difference in protecting children from tanning beds than in protecting them from other dangers.
  • megan Daring ... 2012/05/17 03:04:44
    megan
    +1
    Maybe the cut off age should be 16 and up
  • Daring ... megan 2012/05/17 03:26:41
    Daring Blasphemer BN-0
    Maybe it should be eighteen or even twenty one and there should be warnings and waivers to sign acknowledging that you are aware of the dangers. Treat it like cigarettes. Cigarette use in this country has declined dramatically since we began talking about the dangers. Tanning, though less dangerous than cigarettes (I hope) is still dangerous.
  • megan Daring ... 2012/05/17 14:48:44
    megan
    +1
    I think most 16 year olds are more mature than people give them credit for. maturity
  • Daring ... megan 2012/05/18 00:12:05 (edited)
    Daring Blasphemer BN-0
    Why aren't they allowed to vote? Or drink? EDIT: Or smoke?
  • megan Daring ... 2012/05/18 21:02:22
    megan
    +1
    They are not fully mature. They are YOUNG ADULTS, not full adults. Drinking should be 18 and up. They are not allowed to vote because the government I suppose does not believe they are mature enough. And if you noticed - because I did when I was a "minor" (and it still happens to me because I am still in my teens, 18) people really dont like teenagers. They are under the impression that teenagers are crazy doing drugs, rebelling, ect. when in fact, these are a ton of drug addict adults. And suicide rates are highest in 50-60 year olds, not teens. Like everything else, the media has gotten hooked on criminalizing teenagers. But 16 year olds work, and pay taxes, and drive, and live in this world that "we the people" have created, and they are old enough to have a say. My parents will admit that I knew a lot more about politics at 16 than they knew in their 40s. I am not the only one. There are tons of politic savvy teens. No one should really smoke.
  • Daring ... megan 2012/05/19 03:40:24
    Daring Blasphemer BN-0
    You may not realize it, but you are a rare exception. You may have similar friends and have met more online, but your view of teens in general is a little rosy. Your perceived knowledge is also skewed by your youthful ignorance. This is not an insult. You obviously know more than most teens, but that should give you an indication to the flaw in your argument.

If you follow politics, you know most of the adults in this country are not smart nor informed enough to vote yet there is no intelligence test required. You will also notice how dumbed down our elections are. We are treated like idiots because this country is filled people who vote based on with whom they would rather have a beer. I am glad you are now a voter, but I am not so glad about many who have been old enough for years....

Laws to protect the young are a necessity. The fact that the young disagree is really not surprising....
  • megan Daring ... 2012/05/19 04:04:07
    megan
    +1
    legally, I am not a part of the youth. And the fact that African Americans disagreed with Jim Crow laws was not surprising either. My view on teens isn't rosy, I just refuse to judge anyone on their age, race, religion, sexuality, breed, ect. I have met plenty of foul teenagers, and plenty of foul 20, 30, 40 year olds, and so on. Though we disagree, you are NOT one of them. You are polite, and well educated...we just have one thing we disagree on. YOU are a rare exception yourself. Many people who have differing opinions on this site are very rude and very immature. I am guilty of this as well. But at least on this post, we have kept it civil.
  • Daring ... megan 2012/05/19 06:50:45
    Daring Blasphemer BN-0
    I slip now and then as well. Thank you. It has been a pleasure disagreeing with you.
  • Jen S. 2012/05/14 20:02:36
    Jen S.
    +1
    No one under 18 should be allowed in the room, period.
  • megan Jen S. 2012/05/16 00:18:29
    megan
    thats ridiculous. I am over 18, but I still care about youth rights.
  • Izzy 2012/05/14 19:49:31
    Izzy
    +7
  • REFUSENICK1967 2012/05/14 19:20:32
    REFUSENICK1967
    100% Ass Clown
  • ALL_BAND_FAN 2012/05/14 19:07:05
    ALL_BAND_FAN
    +1
    kids shouldn't be put in tanning beds. if adults want to give themselves cancer, it's their own decision.
  • Margaret Jacobson 2012/05/14 18:56:30
    Margaret Jacobson
    +4
    better yet......JUST CLOSE THEM.....WHO needs to be tanned with a " light bulb"...whats the real point anyway......summer we need sunlight from the sun....winter we need a rest period........think skin cancer
  • gocar Margare... 2012/05/14 20:14:55
    gocar
    +5
    Yes, close these places down. It is a terrible way to make money. Try to remember that many years ago on the peasants had tans and the gentry did not. Tanning is a stupid fad that is exploited and encouraged by pop culture. Now we all know better but we need to protect people from their own stupidity.
  • ☠ Live ... Margare... 2012/05/15 01:12:04
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    +2
    If in adult wants to do it, that should be their choice.
  • Kelly Yung 2012/05/14 18:41:35
    Kelly Yung
    +4
    I dont understand why people want to be tanned? to me it looks kind of tacky and lots of people get addicted to it, it's yet another thing showing us people cant be happy with how they look. Also if they want a tan that badly why not get a spray tan? at least you wont have to worry about getting skin cancer!
  • LaurenGirl594 2012/05/14 18:24:26
    LaurenGirl594
    no
  • athomas910 2012/05/14 18:13:22
    athomas910
    The pic with the baby isn't cool at all I think minors don't need to tan enjoy life....
  • Skye athomas910 2012/05/14 20:59:26
    Skye
    It's a baby. That's wrong, but don't let the baby pic ban teens.
  • Medulla Oblongata 2012/05/14 17:53:53
    Medulla Oblongata
    +1
    It depends on how minor you're talking about, though. Personally, I don't think it's fair to punish all minors for the alleged mistake of one person. Not everyone is that stupid.
  • pops 2012/05/14 17:49:59
    pops
    +2
    Everybody should stay out of tanning beds,makes you look older before your time.

2014/04/20 16:12:47