PUBLIC OPINION > It's Still Harder to Be a Woman

Women recently outscored men in IQ testing research for the first time in a century, but that doesn't necessarily mean life is easier on them. Women have made a lot of social, political and financial progress during that time... But is it still harder to be a woman? Hahajk.com asked the public.

The short answer is yes, most people think it is still harder to be a woman. However, the original question had two separate responses for each answer. The most popular answer overall was "Yes, but it's getting better." So despite the discouraging result, there's quite a bit of optimism out there. The most popular "No" response was that everyone gets "a fair shake."

Men Call It Even

Gender was, not surprisingly, the most divisive demographic. In fact, men were the only major demographic that gave "No" a majority vote, and it was by quite a bit. Only 35% of them think it's tougher to be a woman. Voters cited scholarships, maternity leave, the draft, and custody battles as a few reasons why men can also have it rough.

Teens Say It's Tough to Be a Woman

Age wasn't as significant as gender, but there was certainly a correlation. Teens, on average, were about 20% more likely than older respondents to claim it's still tougher to be a women, though it fluctuated a bit. Maybe it's a matter of perspective. For older voters, it might be that women seem to have it easier relative to the past.

Money Doesn't Discriminate

One reason some feel women still have it rough is that they typically make less than men. Based on the income demographic, people who make more more than $50,000 are more likely to say that men and women have a fair shake. It could be that there are more men making over $50,000, or it could be that women who make over $50,000 don't feel as much pressure.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit the original poll about being a woman. We'd love to hear from you!

• saturdayschild 2012/07/17 22:37:56
    saturdayschild
    +13
    Many think it's harder to be a woman because the politically correct thing is to think all burdens rest on females, but women are more intelligent, men are bad, women are good, and the list goes on.

I noticed many Sodahead males readily agree that women are more intelligent and men get all the lucky breaks. What a crock! I cannot fathom why so many of us think that women have no advantages. They want to be our equals, but I still feel the pressure of thinking it's "ladies first." To hell with that! Saying "ladies first" is saying that women are superior. There is absolutely no reason why we should continue the practice of ladies first.

BTW: When my uncle was a boy in the Sixties, he said that boys would get physically punished for the slightest thing. Girls were always respected, and nobody ever, ever thought of physically punishing a female. A male gym teacher humiliated boys and flirted with girls. Many other male teachers followed suit. So girls had it harder???

Western women have become self-righteous, narcissistic, bitches who often have no respect for males. No woman gets my respect until I see that it's going to be reciprocated.

• rusty l... Ballade... 2012/07/17 23:48:31
  • Ballade... rusty l... 2012/07/17 23:53:15 (edited)
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    +3
    she had no EVIDENCE so what happened to 'INNOCENT until PROVEN guilty'? simple it was thrown out so yeah for chippie babes THAT is power
  • rusty l... Ballade... 2012/07/18 12:09:22
  • Christi... Ballade... 2012/07/19 05:48:58
    Christine Leo
    F.Y.I. the supervisor should never promote a woman for showing her breast. That person was born an absolute idiot. He's played into being a stupid and he got played like a stupid man. Call if karma for giving into his base nature and not promoting those who really deserved it. I have no sympathy for outright stupid people.
  • Ballade... Christi... 2012/07/19 06:32:39
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    ok well said problem is I have SEEN it when I was in the military some chippie babe went from E-3 to E-4 in two 6 weeks the fact she was banging the First Sgt was what a coinicidence?...she only screamed foul when Sugar daddy couldn't deliever an E-5 rating 6 weeks later
  • ray 2012/07/17 23:05:37
    ray
    +2
    It is equally hard for both genders, but in different ways. For instance, women have to deal with pregnancy 1-3(usually) times in their life along with periods, but men have to deal with getting kicked in balls many,many times.

They both have disadvantages also. Women have less roles than men and sometimes have less pay at their jobs.But men are always treated worse than woman, like higher expectations when playing sports and don't have that "rule" of not hitting guys, so if I hit a guy in the face I get sort of polpular but if I hit a girl I become hated by everyone.
  • zachary rhodin 2012/07/17 22:58:09
    zachary rhodin
    +1
    I have no idea to be honest.
  • cupcakes 2012/07/17 22:48:10
    cupcakes
    +3
    NAWWW BEING PREGNANT IS A WALK IN THE PARK COMPARED TO A WET DREAM
  • ray cupcakes 2012/07/18 00:11:19
    ray
    So being pregnant 1-3(usually) is nothing compared to getting hit in the balls your entire life?Or how about boys not having the "rule" of not hitting boys?
  • cupcakes ray 2012/07/18 01:18:26
    cupcakes
    +1
    OHHH I SEE THIS IS A TRICK QUESTION, THEN I PICK NEITHER
  • Alexander T Steward 2012/07/17 22:42:50
  • aleksan... Alexand... 2012/07/18 16:37:54
    aleksandr savchenkov
    Yes, please tell me when you become multiple women. My biology class would love me forever If I brought you in.
  • saturdayschild 2012/07/17 22:37:56
    saturdayschild
    +13

• Mallory saturda... 2012/07/18 00:07:08
    Mallory
    +6
    Thankfully the law is starting to protect dads and males more. I cannot stand these women who think they can take men's babies away and get away with it. They can't and I've had to tell a few of my expecting female friends that they're wrong.
  • Merhabi... Mallory 2012/07/18 17:12:48
  • Mallory Merhabi... 2012/08/17 16:53:17 (edited)
  • saturda... Mallory 2012/07/19 00:39:05
    saturdayschild
    I agree, but that's only part of the problem.
  • Mallory saturda... 2012/08/17 16:55:06
    Mallory
    I know right! But the law is evolving to protect dads more than before. Though moms have the upper hand still, it's not automatic doom for dad.
  • Mallory saturda... 2012/07/18 00:14:01
  • saturda... Mallory 2012/07/19 00:41:22
    saturdayschild
    +1
    I am sorry about that. I live in Southern California, and it's predominately Hispanic. Many single women have babies after babies although they can't afford to support them; however, they know that we tax payers can afford to support them.
  • Christi... saturda... 2012/07/19 05:52:21
    Christine Leo
    +2
    As a Hispanice woman with no children. Yeah, maybe if contraception was more easily available then they wouldn't be having so many babies. '

Until contraception is totally free to anyone who wants it AND men in the U.S. are encouraged to wear condoms and think of every woman they sleep with as the potential mother of their children, bigots like you need to put a sock in it.
  • saturda... Christi... 2012/07/21 23:14:54
    saturdayschild
    Contraception shouldn't have to be paid for with public funds. Families should know how to limit their births. Sorry I stereotyped Hispanics. I didn't mean to come across as so bigoted; every ethnic group is guilty of any human vice there is.
  • Bibliop... saturda... 2012/07/18 00:55:47
    Bibliophilic
    +9
    Nice misogynistic rant you have there. Women are actually not more intelligent- women and men have different strengths and weaknesses, but the capacity for reason is the same in both sexes (altered by sociological factors mostly). The concept of 'ladies first' is archaic and does not support your 'argument'.

Perhaps the reason why no woman is interested in you is because you make hateful/ignorant/baseless accusations about Western women. You sound far more 'bitchy' and self-righteous than any woman I've talked to on this website. I suggest that you stop with the stereotypes and bad attitude if you ever want a date.

Can you not think of the plethora of REAL reasons women have it harder: assault, murder, rape by men. Men can walk down the street at night and not think about getting raped once. This is not the same for women. You claim to know so much about men and women, but really you don't. Also, historically both boys and girls were physically punished (you mention one occurrence only) but now we have evolved to embrace more enlightened methods of punishment.
  • Merhabi... Bibliop... 2012/07/18 17:25:12 (edited)
    Merhabi Daham
    Women don't have it harder because they have to fear assault walking down the street, rape was a valid point, but assault and murder aren't female exclusive crimes. While he(?) used one example of punishment being withheld from a female, you used none, so i give you a tie there for pointing out that he only used one. Then again, minus point for saying 'rape by men' not only was the men unnecessary, as it is not necessarily true and the men is implied, but shouldn't one of those be capitalized? But then you did that whole

"Oh you're only complaining because no woman will date you!"

And that's at least a -5 for being a presumptuous ass. So over all? B-, nothing stellar, but you passed the class. I recommend tutoring after class.
  • saturda... Merhabi... 2012/07/19 00:53:56
    saturdayschild
    +2
    Where did she get no woman will date me? She's pulling things out of the air. Also, I pointed out to her that except for rape, men are assaulted and murdered more frequently than females. She seems so full of herself.
  • HipJipC saturda... 2012/07/19 22:06:38
    HipJipC
    +1
    You forgot incest and human trafficking Joe. Most victims of those crimes are predominately female. Also more domestic assaults are against female victims. I'm not sure about assault by police officers though, too lazy to look up the statistics but I believe more men are assaulted by police than females. I am an exception. Had my head beaten with a car door by a scum bag pig.
  • saturda... HipJipC 2012/07/21 23:11:36
    saturdayschild
    +1
    I am sorry you had that happen to you.
  • HipJipC saturda... 2012/07/27 20:24:44
    HipJipC
    +1
    Worse things could have happened in my life Joe. I've lived over 1/2 a century and that's a miracle onto itself, lol!
  • saturda... HipJipC 2012/07/29 00:59:49 (edited)
    saturdayschild
    +1
    May you live another 1/2 century full of joy and fulfillment.
  • HipJipC saturda... 2012/07/29 19:12:49
    HipJipC
    +1
    That's what I'm aiming for with number 1 starting with me being the change I wish to see in the world, not letting my emotions get the better of me and not sweating the small stuff. My grandmother is 95 and my mom will be 75 this October ... good Italian stock, lol! I wish the same for you too Joe, long life, peace and happiness.
  • Bibliop... saturda... 2012/07/19 22:13:16
    Bibliophilic
    +1
    "No woman gets my respect until I see that it's going to be reciprocated."

I am not full of myself. Also you automatically assume that I'm female. How sad.

True, men are assaulted and murdered more frequently (by other men most of the time), but more women are murdered by their husbands than are men, more women are sexually assaulted and raped by men.
  • Sailor ... Bibliop... 2012/07/18 23:14:07
    Sailor Jerry [Proud Libertarian]
    +1
    so... what you're really saying is: "I'm a bleeding heart liberal femboy who needs to grow a pair", or "I'm a sexist feminazi who bullies men to make myself feel better"...
    did i get it somewhere in the ball park?
  • Bibliop... Sailor ... 2012/07/19 22:10:43
    Bibliophilic
    I did not say anything sexist. Are you talking about yourself? Being realistic and aware has nothing to do with being anti-male. Don't be ridiculous.
  • saturda... Bibliop... 2012/07/19 00:51:52
    saturdayschild
    +2
    I am not a misogynist, but I am fed up with the feminist propaganda. Just watch television and see whose intelligence gets promoted-usually the female, and she often puts a male in his place, but it's virtually never seen with a male putting a female in her place. The concept of ladies first should be archaic, but it's alive and well.

You're assuming that no woman is interested in me, but that's not true. I was a real player until I got married to a woman who appreciates being treated like a lady and appreciates her man (me). Unlike so many women nowadays, my wife is morally supportive instead of trying to compete with other men.

Get over the over-hyped crap about assault, murder, rape,... Except for rape, more men than women get assaulted and murdered than women. It's just that many women are shocked that someone would hurt them, but not nearly as shocked when it happens to a man. Yes, we have more enlightened means of punishment today, but it's still more accepted to physically punish a male than it is a female, and if females are physically punished, it's never accepted to be as severely as that of males. Miss know-it-all, where did I claim to know so much about men and women?????
  • Christi... saturda... 2012/07/19 06:02:46 (edited)
    Christine Leo
    Domestic violence is still not taken seriously in our judicial system. Is that not physical punishment enough for you? In San Francisco a poll was taken and found that 50% of women had been subjected to violence from a spouse, live in boyfriend, or non-live in boyfriend. Battered women's shelters are still underfunded. So violence against women is STILL ACCEPTED and even condoned.

Women aren't shocked someone would hurt them. The fact is that most murders, rapes, or assaults done on women are done by men they know, who have been husbands, boyfriends, or friends, or relatives. That's why they're shocked. You would have already known this if you had a clue what you were talking about.

And as to your past as a player. That doesn't mean anything. It doesn't take a genius or a man of substance to lie to a bunch of women to get them in bed. You're player past just proves you have no clue about women and are a male chauvenist who believes women exist for his own pleasure and use.

You used to be a player. Wow, we all know how highly women think of players. Men who lie or swoon women for the sake of getting them into bed so he can get his sex on. how noble--NOT.
  • Merhabi... Christi... 2012/07/19 12:59:47
    Merhabi Daham
    I condone violence against women. But I also condone violence against men. Just because you have a vagina does not mean i will not beat the crap out of you for messing with me. Socially, there is a stigma against treating women equally all across the board, you have to treat them equally at school and work and in a social setting, but if a woman says something rude to you or hits you, you are fully expected to just take it. Which is wrong, go all the way with your equality. That woman threw kitchen utensils at your head? Return the favor! That girl over there throwing racial slurs your way? Kick her in the vagina, don't be afraid to hit someone because they're not male. Because that is sexism. And it's terrible.
  • HipJipC Merhabi... 2012/07/27 21:32:44
    HipJipC
    What violence has been done to you personally by females throughout your life? What violence has been done to you personally by males in your life? I'm just curious, thanks : )
  • saturda... Christi... 2012/07/21 23:20:21
    saturdayschild
    Violence against women is exaggerated, and you're gullible enough to believe what you want to believe.

I do not regret having been a player. I don't regret using narcissistic, egotistical women for my own sexual gratification. Whenever I met a real sweetie of a girl, I always respected her and treated her with kindness, but you're forgetting that while there are plenty of cads out there, there are plenty of bitches too.

Remember what I pointed out before: I respect women only as much as they're willing to respect me.
  • HipJipC saturda... 2012/07/27 21:26:44
    HipJipC
    How is it exaggerated Joe?
  • saturda... HipJipC 2012/07/29 01:02:39
    saturdayschild
    +1
    There's the Violence Against Women Act that's popular with politicians, for example. This is a sexist act because we shouldn't condone any violence, but why focus on violence against women when there is more violence committed against men?

2014/10/24 09:50:34