PUBLIC OPINION > It's Still Harder to Be a Woman

Women recently outscored men in IQ testing research for the first time in a century, but that doesn't necessarily mean life is easier on them. Women have made a lot of social, political and financial progress during that time... But is it still harder to be a woman? Hahajk.com asked the public.

The short answer is yes, most people think it is still harder to be a woman. However, the original question had two separate responses for each answer. The most popular answer overall was "Yes, but it's getting better." So despite the discouraging result, there's quite a bit of optimism out there. The most popular "No" response was that everyone gets "a fair shake."

Men Call It Even

Gender was, not surprisingly, the most divisive demographic. In fact, men were the only major demographic that gave "No" a majority vote, and it was by quite a bit. Only 35% of them think it's tougher to be a woman. Voters cited scholarships, maternity leave, the draft, and custody battles as a few reasons why men can also have it rough.

Teens Say It's Tough to Be a Woman

Age wasn't as significant as gender, but there was certainly a correlation. Teens, on average, were about 20% more likely than older respondents to claim it's still tougher to be a women, though it fluctuated a bit. Maybe it's a matter of perspective. For older voters, it might be that women seem to have it easier relative to the past.

Money Doesn't Discriminate

One reason some feel women still have it rough is that they typically make less than men. Based on the income demographic, people who make more more than $50,000 are more likely to say that men and women have a fair shake. It could be that there are more men making over $50,000, or it could be that women who make over $50,000 don't feel as much pressure.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit the original poll about being a woman. We'd love to hear from you!

• saturdayschild 2012/07/17 22:37:56
    saturdayschild
    +13
    Many think it's harder to be a woman because the politically correct thing is to think all burdens rest on females, but women are more intelligent, men are bad, women are good, and the list goes on.

I noticed many Sodahead males readily agree that women are more intelligent and men get all the lucky breaks. What a crock! I cannot fathom why so many of us think that women have no advantages. They want to be our equals, but I still feel the pressure of thinking it's "ladies first." To hell with that! Saying "ladies first" is saying that women are superior. There is absolutely no reason why we should continue the practice of ladies first.

BTW: When my uncle was a boy in the Sixties, he said that boys would get physically punished for the slightest thing. Girls were always respected, and nobody ever, ever thought of physically punishing a female. A male gym teacher humiliated boys and flirted with girls. Many other male teachers followed suit. So girls had it harder???

Western women have become self-righteous, narcissistic, bitches who often have no respect for males. No woman gets my respect until I see that it's going to be reciprocated.

• Richard Mosley 2012/08/22 16:41:12
    Richard Mosley
    +1
    Well Ladies and Gents I don't say much because I've been working in the Recording Studio on several projects. But after reading alot of the comments, I had to say something on the topic.If you don't believe there's a God this will be hard to understand if you do this will be easy to understand. God equipped Women with everthing they needed to make in life as a Woman. Child bearing is hard but you were designed to bear Children. Now I understand that all Women are'nt the same, there are sometimes complications, but technology has advance so there is hope. Men and women were not created the same so don't expect the same results all the time. We are who we are, lets be who we are and work together. We are different for a reason, let's stop trying to imitate each other, just because a bird can fly and I decide I want to, and get wings surgically puy in my shoulders, does'nt make me a bird! i'm just a man with wings that can fly. No pun to Gays and Homsexuals. We are all competing and not working together as Humans , I guess when God calls us children, I see that's exacly what we act like!
  • ehrhornp 2012/07/26 23:12:32
    ehrhornp
    Of course it is harder to be a woman. Women have to give birth which is not easy and they generally have to put up with their monthly period for a good period of their lives. Men have nothing comparable. We have it easy. Women also have to pay attention to fashion a lot more than men. Hell a man can wear a suit that is 50 years old and chances are it is still good but a woman wearing a dress from 50 years ago? No way. So I agree as a man we have it easier. We pee standing up and do not have to sit down on a public toilet. We do not have to wear a shirt, list is endless.

As for intelligence, I think the genders overlap substantially so that yes there are some women who are smarter than most men but there are also some men who are smarter than most women. The vast majority of men and women are close in intelligence.
  • BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/07/24 16:57:31
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    SURE IS, they have more to do than men do.
  • victori.mead.avon.sales.ere... 2012/07/23 04:32:16
    victori.mead.avon.sales.erepresentative
    I'm one of the women who gets stressed because there's too much to do and have responsibilities as a woman. I say Yes, it is harder to be a woman.
  • Tastentier 2012/07/23 04:25:39 (edited)
    Tastentier
    +2
    Despite all cries of ongoing oppression by the evil patriarchy (how many women voted for Hillary btw?), women are much better off than men in modern Western societies. Women and children come first, men are still seen as expendable and perform most of the high risk jobs. Men are stereotyped as abusers, rapists, sexual perverts and child molesters. If a man sits on a park bench near playing children, he risks being arrested as a potential sexual predator. It's completely unthinkable that the same could happen to a woman.

The same goes for false rape accusations, in which case men are automatically deemed guilty until proven innocent. On the other hand, men who accuse women of abuse or violence, be it sexual or otherwise, are often ignored or even ridiculed by the authorities and by society in general. Even when a woman beats and verbally abuses a man in public, passers-by don't come to his aid. On the contrary: when asked why they didn't step in, most people laugh and answer that the man probably deserved it. The media even treats it as a laughing matter when a man has his penis cut off or all his teeth pulled out by a female sociopath.

When police are called to a domestic dispute, it is automatically assumed that the man is a threat to his wife, even when the opposite is the ca...

When police are called to a domestic dispute, it is automatically assumed that the man is a threat to his wife, even when the opposite is the case. Men are generally perceived as a potential threat by both women and other men, whereas women are seen as an asset by all members of society. Women view other women as allies, men see women as both objects of desire and dainty creatures in need of help and protection. Not many people of either gender would stop their car to help a man change a tire.

Men no longer have a real purpose in society and are taught from a young age that their gender is responsible for all problems, inequalities and difficulties said to afflict the entire female gender. Men are underrepresented in the educational system. Most teachers are female and the entire education system is geared towards women. If a man tries to perform his biological role as a family father and provider, chances are that his wife will grow tired of him, leave him and take away his kids somewhere down the line (most marriages fail, and 2/3 of all divorces are filed by women). But of course men still get to foot the bills in form of alimony and spousal support. No wonder that men have a lower life expectancy and a much higher suicide rate. Nowadays, we also have a higher unemployment rate (there are no men's quotas), and more men than women are homeless.

Despite all this, men are still claimed to enjoy special privileges. Especially white, heterosexual men, who are stereotyped as complete scum by the media. We are all wife beaters, minority oppressors and former slave owners who were born with a golden spoon in our collective mouth. Even a homeless war veteran who sleeps under a bridge enjoys some special male privileges that Paris Hilton supposedly lacks. He still has it so much easier in life, which means that we still need more women's quotas -- but only in well-paid low risk jobs of course, not in undesirable "male-dominated" fields like coal mining or the steel industry. We still need more preferential treatment for women, more special privileges, and ever more legal bias against men. Only when women rule openly and no longer by proxy, the sexes will finally be "equal".

PS: When I was a teenager, I believed myself to be transgendered and bisexual. I guess I didn't want to be a filthy, disgusting heterosexual man who objectifies women and oppresses minorities. While I still support the LGBT movement, I'm no longer embarrassed to be male. I have never oppressed anybody and have nothing to be apologetic about, and I certainly didn't have it easy in life simply because I have a penis. Over time, I've realized what a ridiculous idea that is, and I've come to recognize the feminist movement as an anti-male crusade disguised as a civil rights movement. It's time to stand up for real social and legal equality and put an end to the constant demonizing of men.
  • Tastentier Tastentier 2012/07/23 04:49:42 (edited)
    Tastentier
    +1
    Btw, my veterinarian is a woman who employs two female assistants. My general practicioner is a woman as well and shares her practice with another female doctor. Between the two of them, they have three female employees. My point is that nothing keeps women from starting their own, successful business ventures. Also that some female employers obviously prefer to hire women. I'm not complaining about that. Having worked in a mixed gender environment with lots of flirting and very redious and complicated office politics, I can see why their approach works better.

Instead of demanding that men hire more women and make it easier for female employees to advance in the corporate hierarchy of male-run businesses, why don't women start more companies? Why rely on men as job providers? I also wonder, do the abovementioned female employers pay their female employees lower wages than male employers pay their male employees? And finally, since the pay gap is caused by women being less aggressive in wage negotiations, doesn't it eventually lower the wages of both genders if women sell themselves short? I think this underselling of female labor has caused both the wage deterioration of the middle class since the 1980s as well as the higher male unemployment rate. Perhaps it is time for men's quotas.
  • jimmy.grenier.37 2012/07/22 10:38:50
    jimmy.grenier.37
    I've seen this kind of answer many time in this debate: "Men are more paid than women!" ... But It just reminded me of something... Usualy, a person that is well paid (or paid more in your words) usualy end up paying more too.. The other person who's paid less gets to be more reasonable with his/her pay, so instead of buying things with terms like a new car, a house, a whatever-you-like ('Cuz of course, you have more money), they save their pay for more important things to pay before buying expensives things and end up with debts to pay.... wich when you loose your job, the well-paid factor becomes a nightmare.... So, from that perspective, being more paid than women is not really a positive point... In fact, it brings two positive point to the women: 1- they don't get in any big debt since they have less and 2- they prove themselves to be more diligent with what they have... since in the end, both have a house, some food, some commodities... even if they're not paid the same wage. Isn't it a good point? ;)

PS: I speak french so maybe my comment wasn't very clear... But I'm sure you got the idea. This idea doesn't apply to every cases at all... but living in the same society as you, the "Buy a better car, impress your friends!", this point has its weight. ;)
  • Drug Free 2012/07/22 09:49:33 (edited)
    Drug Free
    Men and women all over the world suffer injustices and hardships and discrimination and lower pay for equal work etc. and a long list of unfair or seemingly unfair practices that both sexes have to suffer and endure.
    Both Women and Men all over the world are taken advantage of by one another and kept at a disadvantage in many aspects of their daily existance.
    Women do not have a monopoly on "how hard life can be"
    In the developed nations ( Canada, U.K. U.S.A., Australia, Germany, Sweden and many more) any disadvantages that women are subject to are hardly earth shattering or significant in any serious way.
    Slowly the playing field is being leveled but both parties ( men and women ) will always have valid examples of one sex having a greater advantage over the other sex while they complain that they are being marginalised in some way(s)
    In the poverty stricken countries women definitely struggle harder to survive and they certainly are far more dependant on men to treat them better while the women are more or less at the mercy of men in a number of ways.
    For women born in countries such as Afghanistan they certainly do have a lot to be concerned about relative to their health and well being and the lack of opportunities afforded them in a overwhelmingly male dominated cul...

For women born in countries such as Afghanistan they certainly do have a lot to be concerned about relative to their health and well being and the lack of opportunities afforded them in a overwhelmingly male dominated culture.
    It will be a long time before those many third world countries begin to afford the women the same semi charmed lives that women enjoy in North America ( Canada and U.S.A. )

Meantime..I like to remind people that "nearly all" that women have in their lives at present was and still is provided by men, directly or indirectly throughout the ages.
    Nearly all the products and inventions and systems and institutions and the many, many means and ways relative to sustaining and living the semi charmed lives that a large percent of the women throughout the world do enjoy is and was provided by way of men's ingenuity, creativity and men's many accomplishments.

In numerous ways men have marginalised women but in many, many ways ( far too many to list here) men have provided a long, long list of tools and inventions and systems and the many means of survival while creating the world as we know it and the present world that we live in far, far more so than womens ingenuity and creativity and or contributions and accomplishments.
    Both men and women share those many, many creations and inventions and products and accomplishments that everyone uses to their advantage and benefit.

Although women like to bitterly complain about men all the time and how unfair and unjust it is in a man's world they seldom recognise and or acknowledge that the "existing" semi charmed, comfortable lives that they do live and enjoy is and was provided to them by way of what men have envisioned and invented and produced throughout history while sharing and or providing to women the over whelming majority of what has been created by men.

*** In no way am I trying to belittle women..I am just pointing out that life would be a lot, lot harder for everyone ( more so for women ) if men did not or had not created all the many, many items and products and systems and the many means and ways of living a better life that men have provided everyone throughout the ages*****

All in all life is not so bad when you look at the bigger picture and women have done well, over all, by way of living in a "man made" world while women have been provided for in that man's world and will continue to be provided for........far more so than what women have created and or provided men throughout history.
    Not an opinion...just history as it evolved.

Now I am going to wait for the bitter responces from some readers.
  • ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠ 2012/07/22 00:56:19
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    +1
    American women; you think YOU have problems? Okay, sure.

Acid burnede woman
    Missing nose
    sex slave trade
    I'm probably on a list now, for looking those pics up, but damnit I made my point.
  • Robbb 2012/07/21 23:19:51
  • Farbiger 2012/07/21 22:05:59 (edited)
    Farbiger
    Somewhat. Wanna know who it's really hard out here for?

• the_old_coach 2012/07/21 19:59:09
    the_old_coach
    Please.
  • BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/07/21 16:56:15
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    Yes, I think it is still a harder world for women. They don't get paid the same as men and that's wrong. They are expected to do so much more than men. Have you ever tried to work all day, take care of the kids, fix dinner and keep the house clean all at the same tie.
  • ☠ Live ... BIG BAD... 2012/07/22 00:53:08
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    This is America. A developed, 1st world nation. A democracy. A relatively secular nation.

No woman HAS to do ANY of those things. if they choose to, then THEY are to blame for their level of stress, and the difficulty of their lives. NO ONE else.

You're right, it is wrong that women get paid less. BUT, women DON'T have to have kids, they DON'T have to get married, they DON'T have to clean their house top to bottom by themselves or cook.

Just sayin.
  • Bozette 2012/07/21 16:48:22
    Bozette
    +3
    It can be harder...if one chooses it to be. One doesn't have to choose that.
  • Robbb Bozette 2012/07/21 23:24:23
    Robbb
    +1
    Ask the girl in Afghanistan about her choices, the one that has just been sold into slavery. or the woman that is thrown into prison for having been raped.
  • Bozette Robbb 2012/07/21 23:38:30
    Bozette
    This isn't Afghanistan...this is America.
  • Robbb Bozette 2012/07/22 01:07:54 (edited)
    Robbb
    +1
    Gee I thought this was the internet which is world wide, Any way have a check o se ho many women in The us are forced to be subservient to men how many girls are taken over seas to be genitally mutilated and how many single mothers are out there struggling to bring up kids. it really does not matter where you go. Look around you with your eyes. I did not read the part asking about United States of American women.
  • Bozette Robbb 2012/07/22 01:32:58
    Bozette
    The majority on SH are from America, while there are several from Canada, the UK and Australia, with a smattering from other countries...in all my time on here, I haven't run across one from Afghanistan. Not to say there isn't, but I haven't run across them.

Women here don't have to be forced to be subservient to men, there are options for them. Single mothers, while more prevalent today, have been around forever. The difference being that there is far more help for them these days. i couldn't really say how many are taken overseas to be genitally mutilated, but I'm thinking it is not that many from my country. Of course, one would be too many, but as that is not part of our culture, I have to wonder why women whose culture condones such things do not rebel.
  • Robbb Bozette 2012/07/22 03:05:16
    Robbb
    Fear.
  • Bozette Robbb 2012/07/23 17:14:16
    Bozette
    Perhaps, I think it is more than simply fear, though. Fear can be a very powerful force for changing a situation, as long as one uses it rather than succumbs to it.
  • Robbb Bozette 2012/07/23 20:38:49
    Robbb
    The reason women don’t rebel is because they fear for the wellbeing of their daughters. You see if a girl that hails from this type of culture is not mutilated in the required way she becomes an outcast from her family and tribe and may well be doomed to a life of poverty and or prostitution. You hear much about real life in the girls magazines in the developed countries and these girls certainly don’t hear anything about choice in the cultures that they are born in. However coming back to the domestic situation check out the rage wages difference between men and women ant I am confident you will find a culture of lower wages being paid to women. Yes I understand they don’t have to work for lower wages, nor do they have to dress their kids or eat.
  • Bozette Robbb 2012/07/23 22:18:50
    Bozette
    Sorry, no one would get away with doing such a thing to my daughter...wouldn't happen, not without their "untimely" death. It is a matter of choice, and one has to come to that point on their own. Personally, even had I put up it myself, nothing would make put up with it for my daughter. NOT ONE DAMN THING.
  • Robbb Bozette 2012/07/24 06:24:48 (edited)
    Robbb
    You have no Idea what makes the world go round. You live in your secure well educated well fed little bit of the world and you given some choices without ever having had to fight for them. Never the less and whether you understand why these things happen or not mothers that have had this done to themselves AND THEIR MOTHERS AND THEIR GRANDMOTHERS INSIST ON IT BEING DONE TO THEIR DAUGHTERS. You have to understand that a bit of pain just does not rate the same pathos to these people. Their lives are full of pain in their word men have sex for pleasure women have it as a duty and to bear children. You can’t possibly ever really understand because you are free to act on your impulses these women however are not. Their choice is do as you are told or be killed. There are women from these regions that campaign against this terrible abuse. However they need bodyguards 24 hours a day. Not every person is equipped to live that sort of life either. But there are literally millions of women alive today that have had this done to them and it is being done as we speak.
  • Bozette Robbb 2012/07/25 10:17:55
    Bozette
    No, you are correct, I cannot imagine, nor would I wish to. Tell me this, why is the UN so damn concerned about how Arizona is upholding federal law and calling it "human rights abuses" while asking countries that do or allow much, much worse to sit in judgement of us...how is it that no one, not you, or women, or other countries, or the US, or anyone....is demanding that they step in when it comes to these things...which truly are "human rights" abuses?
  • Robbb Bozette 2012/07/26 10:09:07
    Robbb
    I am not sitting in judgement of anyone you seem to be and you don’t have the depth of thought or knowledge to understand what you are talking about. If people had a shot at understanding why these terrible attitudes prevail through learning about them then things would improve a lot more quickly.
  • Bozette Robbb 2012/07/26 19:45:01
    Bozette
    You didn't answer my question, why is the UN, an organization that claims to be the leading proponent of human rights, not doing anything about atrocities such as this?
  • Robbb Bozette 2012/07/27 08:56:24 (edited)
    Robbb
    because the UN is not a leading proponent of human rights It is of the major powers The major powers are interested in their own political d economic affairs no more then that. If a country starts a war the UN talks about it and that is about it, and while they are talking about it they make money and gain power. The good works they are involved in are incidental.
  • Bozette Robbb 2012/07/27 21:44:14
    Bozette
    At least you acknowlegde that the UN is not shall we say, of those who give a damn? It is all about money and power with them,,,yet they proclaim to be the foremost organization on these things...they lie...as does the American government and many, many others...they don't give a damn about the people, they only care about the money.
  • Robbb Bozette 2012/07/28 09:39:37
  • Bozette Robbb 2012/07/28 09:56:10
    Bozette
    Perhaps. I don't think you have a clue as to my standard of living...but that is really not the point. The US should, in my opinion, take care of its own first, then it can help others. As I said, my opinion.
  • Robbb Bozette 2012/07/28 22:44:46
    Robbb
    Which is precisely what the US does The US does not do anything to help others if there is not a buck in it for them. The lm is that in the end the flack comes back to you. The US has the biggest war machine in the world and they have used it to defend their markets and weaken their competitors while pretending to fight for justice. Karma has a tendency to bite people in the bum eventually. As for your standard of living, I confess, I can only guess from listening to what you say and knowing that you are saying it on a piece of technology in spare time that many only dream about.
  • Bozette Robbb 2012/07/29 19:55:40
    Bozette
    I do not agree with much that my country's leaders do. Governments worldwide have money as their main concern. That being said, the US does more for other nations than any other country in the world.
  • cutter's falls 2012/07/21 16:11:33
  • Robbb cutter'... 2012/07/21 23:26:03
    Robbb
    What the hell are you talking about' dot hey have diferent colured blood as well.
  • cutter'... Robbb 2012/07/29 19:42:21
  • Robbb cutter'... 2012/07/29 20:23:07
    Robbb
    You don’t have too they bleed without ever having to cut them. Just wait for a while. Looks like the same stuff to me. Your feel and fix ideas sound cute and while there may be some differences on average in the way we deal differently with situations. They are not all that big. In any case what does that have to do with the degree of difficulty they encounter in they lives.
  • cutter'... Robbb 2012/07/29 20:28:55
  • David (oYo) 2012/07/21 12:02:17
  • Rubyking 2012/07/21 03:05:31
    Rubyking
    because of pms

2014/10/02 08:46:45