PUBLIC OPINION > Introverts Are on the Rise

SodaHead Living 2012/01/25 19:52:32
Susan Cain recently authored a book called "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking," which attempts to champion the introverted side of life by explaining its benefits. It also tries to assert that introverts are outnumbered, or at least out-gunned -- and while it might seem that way on the outside, we wondered if it was true. We turned to SodaHeads for some perspective. And keep in mind, these purely are based on opinions.

Are You More of an Introvert or an Extrovert?

introvert

72% Say They're Introverts

There could be a few factors at play here. For starters, there does seem to be a real trend of introversion. Japan has been worrying about it for years, and they even have a term ("hikikomori") for the growing number of young people who have completely shut themselves off from the world. Introverts are also probably harder to find out in the "real world," whereas a reasonably anonymous Internet poll would be more appealing to quiet types. But we saw some fascinating trends in the results, so let's take a look at the demos for some more insight.

chart

Introversion Among the Youth

The most obvious demographic trend was age. Respondents became notably less introverted as they got older. The vast majority of teen voters (85%) said they were introverts, while voters over 50 were nearly split (54%). This could be interpretted differently: It could mean people feel more extroverted when their older, or it could mean that, like Japan, the U.S. is witnessing a trend of introversion.

Single and Not So Ready to Mingle

This could easily be tied to the age thing, but the margin between singles and married respondents was even wider than the age spectrum. Singles were 32% more likely to say they're introverted, which seems to lend support to the idea that people feel more extroverted as the get older -- more specifically, when they find their mate.

Extroverts Need Liquid Courage, Too

Alcohol is sometimes viewed as a social crutch, something that will get you talking when you're not sure you even have anything to say. You might think that would mean introverts are more willing to use it, but our results show that's not the case. Drinkers were 13% more likely to say they're extroverted.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our original poll about introverts and extroverts. We'd love to hear from you!

• Anonymo... Wonder ... 2012/01/26 00:22:39
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    +4
    So have I, it's never easy to have a personality type shares only by 1 or 2% of the population. I'm the type of person that people find a bit strange until they actually talk to me, them they find that I'm quite nice. Those sites are probably looking for INTP and INTJ, the problem solvers and architects. And the geniuses, of course. :P
  • Wonder ... Anonymo... 2012/01/26 00:43:22 (edited)
  • Bibliop... Wonder ... 2012/01/26 01:41:09
    Bibliophilic
    Are you still in computer science?
  • Wonder ... Bibliop... 2012/01/26 02:32:42
  • Bibliop... Anonymo... 2012/01/26 01:40:19
    Bibliophilic
    +3
    I'm INTJ, and I wish I were a genius! I've never met a stupid INFJ, personally. I usually befriend them.
  • Wonder ... Bibliop... 2012/01/26 03:21:32
  • Anonymo... Bibliop... 2012/01/26 16:13:39
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    My INFJ friend isn't particularly clever (don't tell her I said that :P). They are the best friends to have. I am extremely good at Maths and Science, Chemistry in particular, I'm good at art, I love and am good at designing, and am good at music. Probably counts as genius to some people, including my INFJ friend :P.
  • Shawna Anonymo... 2012/01/26 06:41:09
    Shawna
    +1
    I am INFJ
  • Wonder ... Shawna 2012/01/26 06:46:59
  • Shawna Wonder ... 2012/01/26 20:26:33
    Shawna
    It must be that Pacific coast air we both are breathing. I'm on Vancouver Island.
  • Wonder ... Shawna 2012/01/26 21:03:11
  • Anonymo... Shawna 2012/01/26 16:15:41
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    +2
    Lucky you :P. We're the two best and rarest types :D
  • Shawna Anonymo... 2012/01/26 20:26:01
    Shawna
    +1
    LOL-well we rare people are starting to pile up around here!
  • Wonder ... Shawna 2012/01/26 21:04:09
  • Shawna Wonder ... 2012/01/27 03:56:40
    Shawna
    +1
    LOL-I'll be the one standing beside the bread and spinach dip. Looking around and smiling.
  • Wonder ... Shawna 2012/01/27 04:00:28
  • Shawna Wonder ... 2012/01/26 06:41:28
    Shawna
    +2
    I am INFJ too. :-)
  • Níl mé leat 2012/01/25 21:31:14
    Níl mé leat
    +6
    I love getting out being active and being around loads of people, I am in introvert. After a while I need my alone time, I have to separate myself from others so that I recharge. Being introverted doesn't mean I'm a loner, anit-social, quite, meek, and shy (though I have my shy moments). Being introverted means that you appreciate the alone time you have because that is where you draw energy and can relax.
    Being introverted is nothing to worry about unless it is to the extremes where you do shut yourself off from the world.
  • Jorge Enriquez 2012/01/25 21:28:49
    Jorge Enriquez
    +3
    You use words like 'introvert' and 'extrovert,' various traits of a personality. A lot of that stuff, we used in drama school, and that was kind of interesting, to realize teachers sort of ripped off a lot of Jung. And how much of it is part of our society now, these phrases, introvert and extrovert, where it actually came from
  • Angelic Kitty 2012/01/25 21:09:42
    Angelic Kitty
    +9
    Always will be an introvert! I never saw the need nor ever had the want to hang around other people, I get tired and annoyed when I am around others for too long.

I just keep to myself, I don't speak unless I am spoken to but then I still don't say much. Everyone at work thinks I am the odd one because I just keep to myself yet I find them all loud and annoying.
  • zionosp... Angelic... 2012/01/25 22:52:06
    zionosphere
    +3
    Well said.
  • Wonder ... Angelic... 2012/01/26 03:31:00
  • WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA 2012/01/25 21:05:15
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    +5
    That's because the extroverts are busily out doing things...not hanging out on Sodahead.
  • Jack's Pearl 2012/01/25 20:56:30
    Jack's Pearl
    +5
    I think it's not surprising that you find a larger number of introverts on a social website. Here they can be on their own, and express themselves. SodaHead may attract more introverts.
  • Karissa 2012/01/25 20:45:42
    Karissa
    +5
    It's a funny thing introverts and extroverts. This is how I would classify many people. I am extrovert. I get out and talk, mingle, and meet new people in general.
  • pmdpiano 2012/01/25 20:14:05
    pmdpiano
    +4
    Introversion v. Extraversion is a funny thing. One can speak openly to others and still be introverted - which has a lot to do with self-reflection. Growing up I was very quiet and shy around others, and it wasn't 'til I went to college that I made it a point to speak to 3 new people per day, as I wanted to be able to network in the biz. Nowadays people are shocked when I tell them I used to be dreadfully shy, as I typically show up as an extravert. However, I remain an introvert at heart.
  • ScottyG - Faqueue 2012/01/25 20:05:29
    ScottyG - Faqueue
    +3
    We are raising a nation of pussies.
  • Linnster ScottyG... 2012/01/25 21:06:03
    Linnster
    +2
    It's not so much that as the advent of so much technology that almost demands you shut yourself off from the outside world. People don't socialize with each other now that they have social sites on line. Why get dressed and go out looking for a fun time when you can sit in your jammies in front of your computer and "talk" to any number of people? If you don't like them, all you have to do is log off - not quite like trying to extricate yourself from a real live person whose company you don't enjoy. Kids are not learning the social graces or how to converse with real live people. You cant ell that by some of the questions on here - "Is it possible to fall in love with someone you met on line?" "What do you think of dating on line?" How the hell do you "date" someone on a computer?
  • ScottyG... Linnster 2012/01/25 21:09:18
    ScottyG - Faqueue
    +4
    Not to mention that people in real life are a major disaster. I prefer my small group of friends I've had for 40 some odd years, some even longer.
  • Linnster ScottyG... 2012/01/25 21:18:02 (edited)
    Linnster
    +3
    They're a major disaster because the younger ones just don't value the same things we do. They would rather stand on line for 24 hours waiting for the release of a new i-Something than spend four hours socializing with other human beings. I don't like large gatherings, but I can function in them if I have to. Small groups are my preference. I'd rather do that than spend quality time with my laptop. :)
  • ScottyG... Linnster 2012/01/25 21:22:17
    ScottyG - Faqueue
    +4
    Even when they are out and about they are on their Ithings instead of being with people. I'm tired of them all.

When I was a kid, i loved crowds and concerts. Now I can't stand it.

When I was a kid I thought I knew everything, now I'm much older and know there's so much more to learn.
  • Linnster ScottyG... 2012/01/25 21:28:56
    Linnster
    +5
    Everyone in NY walks around with their heads down texting or talking on their phones. They walk into walls, walk into people, nearly get hit by motor vehicles, it's disgusting. I get into the elevator at work and they look like Zombies staring at the little screens on their Huckleberries. You say good morning and they're lost to the world.

I never liked crowds and I've only been to a few concerts because I can't stand music that loud or the people you find at them. People have become very self-involved and there is very little consideration for others out there. Get on a crowded train and someone has a huge backpack on and they don't care that they're hitting you in the back with it. They can't see it in front of them so it doesn't matter. I've little patience for that.

We did know everything when we were kids! That's something that hasn't changed. :)
  • ScottyG... Linnster 2012/01/25 22:03:51
    ScottyG - Faqueue
    +3
    Your right on all counts.
  • Linnster ScottyG... 2012/01/26 01:26:13
    Linnster
    +2
    I have officially reached the age where I have "good old days."
  • ScottyG... Linnster 2012/01/26 01:29:57
    ScottyG - Faqueue
    +2
    Me too! ;)
  • Linnster ScottyG... 2012/01/26 01:37:23
    Linnster
    +2
    I actually like being in this place and time.
  • ScottyG... Linnster 2012/01/26 01:42:29
  • Anonymo... ScottyG... 2012/01/25 23:22:56
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    +2
    We do both, thank you very much. We stand around with our friends simultaneously talking and using our phones and iPods. We may not socialise as much, but we've mastered multi-tasking ;).
  • ScottyG... Anonymo... 2012/01/25 23:24:47
    ScottyG - Faqueue
    +2
    Okey Dokey.
  • Linnster Anonymo... 2012/01/26 01:32:54
    Linnster
    +1
    Whatever happened to giving someone your undivided attention? You're in some social situation and you're chatting with someone. Your phone rings and you answer it. What you've effectively communicated to the person with whom you were talking is that they are not important enough for you not to answer your phone. Frankly, if that was me you were talking to, and you weren't a doctor on call, I'd think what you did was rude and I'd find someone else to play with.

2014/04/20 06:07:13