PUBLIC OPINION > Don't Wear Too Much Makeup on a First Date

There are enough things to worry about on a first date without having to overthink your wardrobe, so we polled the public on big first date don't-wears to find out the key things women should avoid if they want to land that elusive second date. Sometimes it's easier to prepare if you've got a quick checklist of things not to do. But what is the ultimate first date faux pas? Read on to find out.

Whatever you do, gals, don't cake on too much makeup! Obviously, if you're on a first date, you only care what the guys think. We'll get to that. But on the off-chance that you aren't intrigued enough to read on, take our word for it -- too much makeup is a big mistake. To be honest, it's kind of refreshing. It means that unnatural "perfection" that some women strive to achieve is a vain pursuit. It's not worth it! There's nothing wrong with a little color, but if you can't restrain yourself, you're better off au naturale. (Side note: The Top Comment brings up a good point. Wedding rings are worse.)

Women Are More Worried About Skin

The most interesting thing we found in our results was the difference between how men and women voted. Men were way more concerned about how much makeup a woman wears, whereas women were more concerned about how much they showed off. Only 14% of men thought that revealing too much was the worst thing a woman could do on a first date. Though, to be fair, that doesn't mean revealing too much is a good idea...

Respectable Teens

Parents would be happy to hear that the majority of teens (52%) said that revealing too much is the worst thing a girl could do on a first date. (Although, while we're on the topic, parents are considerably more concerned with makeup.) That number dropped steeply through to the 40s, where it jumped up a bit, then dropped again.

UGGs Get an Honorable Mention

UGGs didn't score especially high in any category, but they were despicable enough to merit a paragraph of their own. Overall, they landed a distant but comfortable spot as the third-worst thing a woman could wear on a first date, beyond too much makeup and too much skin. Look, we know they might be comfortable, but... No one likes them. They're like Crocs. Good qualities be damned. Just... don't.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about first date faux pas. We'd love to hear from you!

• .: LiVi :. 2012/05/31 05:54:51
    .: LiVi :.
    +7
    What I find interesting is that people don't really know what they want. Guys say they prefer no make up, and yet guys always, always go for pretty girls over ugly girls, and guess what. They're wearing make up! Didn't you notice? Not saying girls can't be pretty without make up. The thing with make up is if used in moderation it enhances your natural beauty. If you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig. Ugly girls with make up are still ugly but with make up on. I'm not saying this in a judgemental way btw. It's the same with girls saying they don't like guys who wear make up, and yet all fawn over movie stars. Didn't you know they are all wearing make up? If you don't notice and you can't tell the difference anyway, then what does it matter if someone is wearing make up or not? I believe people should dress and be the way they want, be who they are, express themselves whatever. For some people like goths or Amy Winehouse or whoever else is famous for their make up, first you make your habits, then your habits become you. Their make is a part of who they are, the way you dress, cut your hair, the way you stand and talk, all of these things are habits that you have created and have become your identity. People have been wearing make up for thousands of years. Look at the Egy...
    What I find interesting is that people don't really know what they want. Guys say they prefer no make up, and yet guys always, always go for pretty girls over ugly girls, and guess what. They're wearing make up! Didn't you notice? Not saying girls can't be pretty without make up. The thing with make up is if used in moderation it enhances your natural beauty. If you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig. Ugly girls with make up are still ugly but with make up on. I'm not saying this in a judgemental way btw. It's the same with girls saying they don't like guys who wear make up, and yet all fawn over movie stars. Didn't you know they are all wearing make up? If you don't notice and you can't tell the difference anyway, then what does it matter if someone is wearing make up or not? I believe people should dress and be the way they want, be who they are, express themselves whatever. For some people like goths or Amy Winehouse or whoever else is famous for their make up, first you make your habits, then your habits become you. Their make is a part of who they are, the way you dress, cut your hair, the way you stand and talk, all of these things are habits that you have created and have become your identity. People have been wearing make up for thousands of years. Look at the Egyptians, would they have the same identity if it weren't for all that black eye make up, or the Elizabethan era and their beauty-formed-identity of plucking all the hairs from their face and plucking hair from their head to create a receding domed shaped forehead. All people through time and different eras have all worn make up and altered their appearance essentially which formed who they were and became a part of them. Even just getting different hairstyles and dying your hair is altering your appearance. If you really wanted absolute natural, untouched humans then no one would ever cut their hair or paint their nails, or wear perfume or body lotion or make up or clothing or anything else that may possibly alter the appearance. Anyway, your physical appearance is only skin deep, it is the soul within that really matters, everything else is superficial really so if you're really interested in someone for who they are and are not shallow then you won't care what they look like, it is the person inside you see. That's my view!

• AngelArs dream-h... 2012/12/14 05:20:18
    AngelArs
    Your breath must smell like your feet.
  • MorganRae AngelArs 2012/05/31 18:54:33
    MorganRae
    I'm with you here. Can't stand any sort of open-toed shoe.
  • L K 2012/05/31 17:52:44
    L K
    I think if you were asked out, then the gentleman has already seen you, so the likelihood is that you were already wearing make-up at that time. Evening make-up is always a bit more dramatic than daywear, however, I think the key is not to wear trashy make-up. (Eye shadow in dark colors look a bit cheap. ) Guys are funny though...they want a pretty girl who looks wholesome and natural, and good enough to bring home to mom, and yet they do like the "glamorous" look at other times. ( If you get my drift.) I imagine it is difficult for girls today to know what to wear or how to look since men tend to say one thing and do another. My best guess is to think back to what you were wearing when he asked you out. Then use that as a guide. Looking pretty and sexy doesn't mean you have to let it all hang out either. And as far as the reverse goes, I would hate to see a guy show up on a first date in shorts and sneakers and a big Hawaiian shirt. Both sides need to put some effort into looking nice. Gawdy isn't good for either sex.
  • CG L K 2012/05/31 18:22:21
    CG
    +1
    You made me laugh. I went out on a blind date with someone who showed up in a Hawaiian shirt and overalls. I couldn't wait to leave.
  • L K CG 2012/05/31 18:53:32 (edited)
    L K
    +2
    Same thing happened to me years ago. I was fixed up by my assistant principal and my date showed up in a Hawaiian shirt, shorts, and flip flops. ( seriously????) I got all dressed up and I wanted to slam the door in his face when I took a look at him. And worse than that, I had to pay a baby sitter for the date!!! My son, who is now 38, was about 2, and I was a young divorced teacher who was being fixed up by one of my administrators, so I felt required in a sense to go. But one look at this nut and I was stunned! I had already hired the sitter so I went. At least he paid for dinner, but it was an out door place by the beach and I wasn't dressed for that.( He never told me it was a beach date. If he had, I would have declined because to me, a walk on the beach is rather intimate for a first date with someone I didn't know.) But, I was polite, rushed through dinner, and when he called again to ask me out I said "No thank you". First impressions make a difference. Besides, he was goofy. I never understood why my administrator fixed me up with him in the first place. Then, I heard a few years later that she left her husband for this guy!!!! CRAZY!!!!! But OVERALLS???? YOU WIN!!
    The irony is that several years later, I met my second husband who was substituting at my ...
    The irony is that several years later, I met my second husband who was substituting at my school. (He was the interim sub for a teacher on her two week honeymoon.) We had lunch every day together in school for two weeks and then he asked me out. When he showed up at my door he was wearing nice slacks, but had a milder version of Hawaiian shirt - tucked in neatly- but he looked so cute and was so sweet and shy that I didn't care. LOL He also had a bouquet of roses with him.Sweet memories. We were together for 25 years before he passed away from cancer a year and a half ago. But, he is the only man I liked in a Hawaiian shirt. LOL
  • CG L K 2012/05/31 21:02:39
    CG
    +1
    What a sweet story. Sorry for your loss but 25 years is a good time to build amazing memories. I certainly didn't stick it out with overall guy... I'm not shallow. The overalls wouldn't have made a difference if he'd been better in other ways but I think it was a miss for both of us so no loss.
  • diana fuentes 2012/05/31 16:43:51
    diana fuentes
    it depends where you going if the guy is taking you to the beach than dont wear to much but if he taking you out to dinner to a fancy restaurant than wanna look good right!!
  • Melda Valdez 2012/05/31 15:59:35
    Melda Valdez
    well...with the texas heat in full swing, mascara n runny eyeliner are pesky, n blotchy foundation a no no for sun exposure....maybe at nite, i can't say...what if they have skin issues n scars?..i still think less is more, sometimes a nice lip gloss, really thin water proof eye liner, barely enough to notice, and ONE stroke of water proof mascara r all u need.
  • PotatoHead 2012/05/31 15:00:05
    PotatoHead
    +2
    ...Cuz no one wants to date the Tanning Mom!
  • dream-h... PotatoHead 2012/05/31 18:41:43
    dream-hair!
    mom
  • PotatoHead dream-h... 2012/05/31 20:41:53
    PotatoHead
    ???
  • dream-h... PotatoHead 2012/06/18 12:11:07
    dream-hair!
    we got silly brain
  • Beate Zuernt 2012/05/31 13:59:21
    Beate Zuernt
    Too much make-up is in every situation the false thing. People associate this with a carnival mask
  • ģhøṡτ øώl 2012/05/31 13:53:31
    ģhøṡτ øώl
    It's funny, because make-up is pretty cool as a accent to your true features, but when you wear A LOT and end up looking like a completely DIFFERENT person, it becomes a dishonest representation of who you are. "Who is this person I just woke up next to?" Prrrretty ridiculous.
  • Rie~ 2012/05/31 12:34:54
    Rie~
    I hate make-up :3
  • awillis 2012/05/31 12:25:42
    awillis
    I have to wear my war-paint when I'm trying to hunt down a man lol.
  • dream-h... awillis 2012/05/31 18:42:23
    dream-hair!
    violin
  • awillis dream-h... 2012/06/01 02:11:11
    awillis
    What?
  • dream-h... awillis 2012/06/18 12:11:23
    dream-hair!
    you know what you did
  • Jay 2012/05/31 11:45:38
    Jay
    don't wear ANY makeup. Makeup gives you acne, it's gross. Like paint.
  • Pam 2012/05/31 10:53:52
    Pam
    Don't wear too much makeup period. Its breaks you out and makes you look older than you are.
  • Juliet Pam 2012/05/31 12:49:28
    Juliet
    +1
    depends what kind of makeup and if you wash it off properly :)
  • L K Pam 2012/05/31 17:57:06 (edited)
    L K
    Not true. They have so many nice and natural make-ups today that are oil free. It is powder that makes you look older since it gets into the lines. I wear make-up, just not powder and it evens out the skin tone as you age. It is a girl's best friend. A little goes a long way. The OLDER you get, the LESS make-up you should wear, however. It is true that nothing ages you more than too much make-up. But a little foundation, blush, lipstick and eyeliner makes anyone look great.
  • Gloria 2012/05/31 09:46:45
    Gloria
    +1
    I wear the same kind of make up all the time so he wouldn't have asked me out if he didn't like when he met me.
  • L K Gloria 2012/05/31 19:16:26
    L K
    +1
    EXACTLY!!!
  • Tiah 2012/05/31 08:47:58
    Tiah
    I don't wear makeup so.....
  • Fariborz-Zak 2012/05/31 06:34:20
    Fariborz-Zak
    agree
  • .: LiVi :. 2012/05/31 05:54:51
    .: LiVi :.
    +7
  • Giantfi... .: LiVi :. 2012/06/01 00:49:04
    Giantfighter
    Depends on the guy...some guys are attracted to stylish, wholesome, natural & casual, some slutty, trashy & madeup, some sexy, voluptuous or even emo or tomboyish...some girls don't need makeup & some look better with makeup. Some guys like girls that are skinny, pasty or busty, some like big butts, some like the biker chick look. Some girls say they are attracted to & like sensitive nice guys, but choose grungy bad guys...attraction is interchangeable. I find attitude, mannerisms, intelligence & femininity just as attractive as I do in the way she walks, the way her hair falls in her face or in a pair of jeans & boots as I do in a baseball cap, a bulky shirt or form fitting sweater. The way she eats & how she looks while sleeping, especially the way she kisses, but too much makeup or perfume is just as much of a turn off as someone who is obnoxious, has bad breath or bad teeth,
  • .: LiVi :. Giantfi... 2012/06/13 16:44:55
    .: LiVi :.
    Yes true everyone is attractive in different ways, and I agree too much make up is a turn off, but I'm trying to keep an open mind and understand from more than one point of view
  • Giantfi... .: LiVi :. 2012/06/14 08:08:35 (edited)
    Giantfighter
    +1
    Understood! I was only stating my preference for natural beauty & being yourself on the 1st date, instead of being fake, made up or deceitful. If vanity is the issue than I understand one would care about what's on the outside rather than what's on the inside. I'm just saying.
  • .: LiVi :. Giantfi... 2012/06/16 06:20:25
    .: LiVi :.
    +1
    Yeah, exactly I understand what you mean. Personally I think girls look better with less make up, but it's good that everyone has the freedom to do whatever they want. :D
  • Giantfi... .: LiVi :. 2012/06/18 06:16:02
  • :O R U ... .: LiVi :. 2012/06/13 15:21:53
    :O R U 4 REAL???
    you talk too much
  • .: LiVi :. :O R U ... 2012/06/13 16:42:07
    .: LiVi :.
    I wasn't talking to you, was I?
  • :O R U ... .: LiVi :. 2012/07/11 20:45:28
    :O R U 4 REAL???
    Doesnt matter..you still talk too much.
  • .: LiVi :. :O R U ... 2012/07/12 00:36:17
    .: LiVi :.
    No you're just an idiot.
  • ~HopelessRomanticM17~ 2012/05/31 04:39:09
    ~HopelessRomanticM17~
    +1
    Agreed

Most guys say they like them more natural. So the trick is to wear make up so that it looks like it's natural...not like this
    Too much make up
  • Dee ~Hopele... 2012/05/31 12:12:05
    Dee
    +1
    exactly!
    I had my reply typed up above yours and then noticed it hehe..

I think "natural look" make up is the key. Just a touch of concealer for problematic areas, mascara and lipbalm ^^
    That's what they mean when they say no make up VS those girls that get spray tanned and end up looking like my brown desk, with metallic pink lip gloss and heavily painted eyes (yes - painted!).
  • ~Hopele... Dee 2012/06/12 15:04:59
    ~HopelessRomanticM17~
    I hate the painted on eyebrows. It's ridiculous and unflattering.

Spray tanning is stupid, it makes people look like they rolled around in Doritos.

2014/12/22 19:56:20