PUBLIC OPINION > Don't Talk Politics at Work

With the presidential election just a couple months away, political conversations are almost unavoidable. But is it ever inappropriate to engage in political discourse? What about the workplace? Is that simply an exercise in free speech and open communication, or a recipe for disaster? We asked the public if it's OK to talk politics at work.

Open political discussion is essential in a democratic country, but about two-thirds of people think that bringing it into the workplace is a bad idea. Most people agree that there's a fine line between a discussion and an argument, but with a topic as volatile as politics, a calm discussion could very quickly turn sour. Some spoke from experience. It could turn out fine, but it's usually not worth the risk.

Mind the Moderates

Conservatives and liberals voted similarly on this issue -- 40% and 37% were OK with workplace discussions, respectively -- but voters who fell in the middle were less than enthused. Only 22% of moderates think it's OK to discuss politics at work. It would follow that people who call themselves moderates are less confrontational.

Men Might Go for It

Men were a bit more likely to condone politics in the workplace. Since men are typically a little more competitive, it would make sense that they're more eager or willing to get into it over healthcare and the economy, but ultimately it was only an 11% difference -- about a third of men, compared to about a quarter of women.

Age Is Not an Issue

There weren't actually that many other demographics that seemed to correlate with response. In fact, the age group most willing to talk politics at work (45-54) was only a few years older than the age group least willing to talk politics at work (35-44). Teens were more willing than most, though not by much.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about politics in the workplace. We'd love to hear from you!

• Max7 truther1 2012/09/12 00:49:45
    Max7
    Contrary to what you might think but the president has unified people, have you ever seen his rallies? People of all walks of life attend Obama campaign rallies http://cmsimg.freep.com/apps/... Obama in Toledo Ohio Obama and Latinos
  • truther1 Max7 2012/09/12 01:57:23 (edited)
    truther1
    +1
    Looks alot like Ron Paul rallies I've been to. The difference is in the message being the conveyed. Ron was never telling his crowds what types of entitlements he would promise them. There was never an overtone of 'whitey has kept you down.' Never let the fact that most audiences largely consist of whites because of the predominant makeup of the country, but that not withstanding. He was also never making politics of immigration, an issue which President Obama has prostituted for maximum effect for political bets on acquiring new votes, despite its ramifications on the working black populous. And as far as his initial anti-war rhetoric, a foundation of the left, completely abandoned. He has continued the march of the war machine, which was his second largest issue beyond the dual issue of economy and jobs. Don't get me wrong, being the POTUS has got to be the toughest job around. Bush was terrible. Obama is worse. Recall promises of no lobbyists in his administration? Remember promises of ending gitmo and the war in Iraq? Forgive me for not forgeting the slogan of the left. Bush lied, people died! Yes, America tried to prove to the world that we are not a racist country by electing Obama. We would have done ourselves a much better service by electing someone like General Powell.
    ...
    As far as the poker patriots sentiments, he/she is correct on assessing the resume of Obama. He has never accomplished anything substantial in his life other than the very significant stature of a person who has built a political career based on division of people, whether it be race, class, politcal philosophy, etc.,. Bush claimed to be the great uniter. I disagree. Obama acted as the great divider. I'd say, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!
  • Max7 truther1 2012/09/12 20:44:00
    Max7
    I've gone to a lot of Obama's rallies and race is never a matter of subject, with his mother and grandparents being White, he has never reflected a tone going back to the days of when "Whitey" was ruling and dominating the life of Blacks. There is no comparison between Ron Paul and Barack H. Obama, none what-so-ever. I think that in spite of America being a racist nation is why Senator Obama became President Obama. Anyone who feels that America is free from racism is living under a rock, because racism is alive and kicking in our country. Much of the chaos going on right now is proof of that. Selecting General Powell for president was not an option, from his days with the Bush administration, he and his wife decided to run for president was not something that they were interested in. Then when McCain and Palin was running, Mr. Powell, let it be known on CNN that he will remain a registered Republican, but that his endorsement would support Senator Barack H. Obama, and as of late, I don't think that he has changed his view regarding the Republican party, nor his support for President Obama. As far as the economy is concerned, it's not where the pesident would like for it to be but, it's better. Economical, employment is on the rise, many automotive workers are back to work, sel...
    I've gone to a lot of Obama's rallies and race is never a matter of subject, with his mother and grandparents being White, he has never reflected a tone going back to the days of when "Whitey" was ruling and dominating the life of Blacks. There is no comparison between Ron Paul and Barack H. Obama, none what-so-ever. I think that in spite of America being a racist nation is why Senator Obama became President Obama. Anyone who feels that America is free from racism is living under a rock, because racism is alive and kicking in our country. Much of the chaos going on right now is proof of that. Selecting General Powell for president was not an option, from his days with the Bush administration, he and his wife decided to run for president was not something that they were interested in. Then when McCain and Palin was running, Mr. Powell, let it be known on CNN that he will remain a registered Republican, but that his endorsement would support Senator Barack H. Obama, and as of late, I don't think that he has changed his view regarding the Republican party, nor his support for President Obama. As far as the economy is concerned, it's not where the pesident would like for it to be but, it's better. Economical, employment is on the rise, many automotive workers are back to work, sells, and employment has risen. President Obama is a Bi-racial man who does not see or judge people by the color of their skin, therefore he has made strides to help and assist people of all ethnic backgrounds, including within his administration. Maybe some will fall for all that you have uttered, but I'm not buying it.
  • Mathmn truther1 2012/09/12 01:59:35
    Mathmn
    It was LImbaugh and all the right wing nutjobs who did the rekindling.
  • truther1 Mathmn 2012/09/12 02:25:41
    truther1
    Limbaugh is one person with his own political dispositions. I find it ironic that you don't recognize chris"shiver down my leg" mattews, lawernce "every white is a racist but me" odonnel, keith "shut up" olbermann, closely related to bill "shut up" orielly, and ed "I can start a political fire without matches" schultz, and too many more to name. Seriously, limbastic has to be outnumbered by more than 10 to 1!
  • Mickey V truther1 2012/09/12 11:51:41
    Mickey V
    Yes, Truther (hahahah -- not). Obama should have just gone back to Africa where he was born. Or perhaps he could be a cotton picker or some job blacks are deserving of, right? If he had not run for President, there would be no racism -- after all, it was practically gone (we all know dumb white people feel dumber when a black man is sooooo much smarter than they).
  • truther1 Mickey V 2012/09/12 13:26:23
    truther1
    Careful mickey. You're exposing your true racist nature to everyone.
  • Max7 Mickey V 2012/09/12 20:46:53
    Max7
    truther1 seems so angry and frustrated and a tad bit racist.
  • truther1 Max7 2012/09/12 03:42:53
    truther1
    Please note his "academical" and "educational" achievements, whatever that is... Sounds like a bunch hyperbole to me.
  • Max7 truther1 2012/09/12 20:49:55
    Max7
    Of course they would to you, because you have closed your ears to accuracy, or simply that it is what it is. Anyone in their right mind would know that even in this day and time, for a Black man to come forth and say that his intentions is to run for the highest job in the land, that he has to come right, equipped and educated; and he has to come with a burden of proof.
  • Mathmn Jackie ... 2012/09/12 01:56:29 (edited)
    Mathmn
    Nothing except for his signing into law a healthcare plan that no one else has been able to accomplish for decades. He presided over the killing of Osama Bin Laden. He signed the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell. He did this in spite of a recalcitrant, obstructionist tea bagger dominated Congress and the ravages wrought by the policies of his immediate predecessor. The preacher of the church he attended was a radical. Never has Obama professed the craziness of the Reverend Wright. The right wing obsession with some sixth degree of separation between Obama and Ayres is tiresome.
  • truther1 Mathmn 2012/09/12 02:28:46
    truther1
    +1
    The association between ayers and obama is uncomfortably close and completely consequential!
  • Max7 truther1 2012/09/12 20:50:36
    Max7
    You guys are just a bunch of haters.
  • Jackie ... Mathmn 2012/09/12 02:58:02
  • richie Jackie ... 2012/09/12 00:34:09
    richie
    Well, do you really have an idea what that word means? Lack luster? Or could
    It be simply stated that you have your own definition?
  • Jackie ... richie 2012/09/12 00:35:14
    Of course, why?
  • gary Jackie ... 2012/09/12 01:24:58
    gary
    God will bless Obama and his supporters this November.
  • Jackie ... gary 2012/09/12 02:58:34
    Certainly we all need God's blessings
  • Mathmn Jackie ... 2012/09/12 01:50:41
    Mathmn
    We elected him because we were collectively feeling guilty about giving two terms to his illiterate, incompetent predecessor.
  • Jackie ... Mathmn 2012/09/12 03:00:50
    +1
    Then we were really stupid, because he is even worse with less skills - time to toss him and get someone who has the experience we desperately need.
  • truther1 Jackie ... 2012/09/12 03:54:07 (edited)
    truther1
    +1
    I'm certain you and I don't see eye to eye on everything, but i have to agree that a change for the sake of a more competent leader is in order. This will be my last post of the evening. I have a job to go do tomorrow, with people that i am employing, for a company "that I created by myself!" Contrary to Obama's declaration,"you didn't build that," um, yes i did, your usurpfulness!
  • Jackie ... truther1 2012/09/12 05:18:04
    Bravo - have a great day tomorrow
  • Huki68 2012/09/11 22:59:19
    Huki68
    nope
  • nana g 2012/09/11 22:52:33
    nana g
    +1
    I won't tell anyone how to vote and I don't want them telling me. At work you can just tell me how your weekend was or how hard you work and are not appreciated.
  • Jackie ... nana g 2012/09/11 23:09:09
    Agree completely
  • lee 2012/09/11 22:52:07
    lee
    so liberals want to talk about it but "moderates" (read conservatives) do NOT ... and because they have so soured the debate process with their negative and hateful rhetoric...

it has successfully quelled debate.

that's ok. that's a losing strategy and i'm perfectly fine with conservatives losing.
  • Tracie ... lee 2012/09/12 00:42:29
    Tracie Richards~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    I think it's because Conservatives tend to be...well...Conservative. It is simply good ettiquette to refrain from discussing religion, politics, and sex in the workplace.
    These are subjects better left for discussion in the home, with family or close friends.
  • lee Tracie ... 2012/09/12 00:48:16
    lee
    that's funny because the MOST vocal person in my office as well as my friends office are all CONSERVATIVES..

ususally talking to EACH other in a loud voice about how obama is a socialist or what not.

i don't think your argument holds any water.
  • Tracie ... lee 2012/09/12 01:09:28
    Tracie Richards~PWCM~JLA
    Maybe things are simply different where you are. Different outlooks for different areas, prehaps.
    I personally was simply raised to consider such behavior rude.
  • nana g lee 2012/09/12 14:49:26
    nana g
    When you are at work, you should be working and not spouting off your big liberal mouth. You are there to do your job. I would fire your ass.
  • lee nana g 2012/09/13 01:08:58
    lee
    and what would you do with the conseratives who spout off THEIR mouths?

fire them ?
  • nana g lee 2012/09/26 13:51:40
    nana g
    Yes.
  • lee nana g 2012/09/26 18:46:26
    lee
    no body wants to work for you.
  • nana g lee 2012/10/10 15:02:38
    nana g
    Nobody wants to work with a loud mouth liberal. That , I am not. Bet you are.
  • fatboy 2012/09/11 22:49:48
    fatboy
    Makes the day go by faste. All opinions
  • BigEyedFish 2012/09/11 22:40:45
    BigEyedFish
    +2
    I'm old school.
    We never discussed religion, politics, how much we made and what kind of sex we enjoyed. Nowaday, you can get all that on a t-shirt!!
  • Jackie ... BigEyed... 2012/09/11 23:09:42
    +1
    LOL good point
  • Grobinson 2012/09/11 22:36:29
    Grobinson
    +2
    I find that when I talk about Obama and his policies, people get so mad when I can give facts about how he is ruining our country. and they have no good facts that he has done anything good.
    Facts rule!
  • Jackie ... Grobinson 2012/09/11 23:10:34
    Yes you are correct - some still caught thinking it is a cheer leading contest rather than the fate of the nation
  • richie Grobinson 2012/09/12 00:28:28
    richie
    +1
    If I may ask, could you enumerate your facts again, as most responders might have missed it? Thanks

2014/09/02 05:01:45